scratch shoot out pics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant picture Sheryl. It is a shame if it wasn't received but hopefully you can use it for another comp xx

jac extreme said:
Ok, here are the three pics I sent in for the scratch shoot out, I got confirmation that they were all recieved, but it seems only one was put on the wall. (bigger pics in gallery)Anyone else want to show theirs:)

Well good to see all 3 pics Jac. The one that was exhibited at Olympia was on it's side and had someone else's name to it!!!!! Never mind, we knew it was yours.

jac extreme said:
lovely pic sheryl.

:hug: Thank you.
My fav pic of your nails is with the guitar. So my cuppa tea (I'm a rock chic:) )

Urban Geek said:
Brilliant picture Sheryl. It is a shame if it wasn't received but hopefully you can use it for another comp xx
Cheers. Well done at the comps, it takes a lot of guts, don't know if I could ever put myself under that sort of pressure:hug:

Everybody has done a really good job with their entries. WELL DONE EVERYONE
:)

Just a thought as i noticed the Egyptian pic.

The themes for the next pro nails comps are:
London - Musicals
Dublin - Emerald Isles
Manchester - Egyptian

The egyptian pic would be great, it just needs changing slightly as you cannot re-enter an old pic.

Well done to all who entered, it takes a lot of hard work.

Hi, just a daft one, just doing iTEC nail Tech at mo - exam 16th June!!! If I wanted to have a bash at a comp I have 2 questions

1) Could I enter

2) how do you go about it?

Thanks for any help

chocolate said:
Just a thought as i noticed the Egyptian pic.

The themes for the next pro nails comps are:
London - Musicals
Dublin - Emerald Isles
Manchester - Egyptian

The egyptian pic would be great, it just needs changing slightly as you can re-enter and old pic.

Well done to all who entered, it takes a lot of hard work.

Thanks for the heads-up on the upcoming comps Rachel. I've been reading through the posts about the most recent comp and I'm wondering why pics which have been previously entered into comps are allowed to be re-entered in future comps. Surely this is a retrograde step, if every entrant was to take this literally, pretty soon all the pics on display would be old pics that everyone had seen before. Where's the incentive to try something new :?:

Sassy Hassy said:
Well good to see all 3 pics Jac. The one that was exhibited at Olympia was on it's side and had someone else's name to it!!!!! Never mind, we knew it was yours.
thanks for letting me know sass, how bad is that:rolleyes:

They are fab Jac you must be really pleased!

Well done x

It does defeat the object doesn't it. People work so hard to create new ideas Doesn't seem much point if you are competing against a pic that has already won / been placed in another comp.

I just had to put my two penneth worth in here!!!! (I had no intention of coming on the site until tonight....just came on for a quick browse....I should have known better!!!! LOL!!!!)

Jac I am so sorry about your pics...I couldn't believe there was only one there....and it was, as Sass said, the wrong way up with the wrong name!!!!

Sheryl (Grafxgal), hun your picture DEFINANTLY was NOT there.....beautiful picture and I would have remembered it!!!!!

The winner actually came 4th at Excel with the picture....if you want to see it look in Pro Nails as it is pictured in there :irked:

I dont do competitions so I feel that I can comment as an outsider. Why dont you all just take pictures and keep re-submitting them....you are busy people why bother. I know it will get boring but why should you make the effort to do original, fantastic artwork.....its just not worth the effort is it???? Just submit them until they win and then do a new one. :irked:

Or better still enter the fantasy art and take a picture of it and submit that at the next comp....kill two birds with one stone!!!!! Well that is what some entries had done!!!:irked:

It really has annoyed me that some of you guys work so flippin hard to get your work ready for these sort of comps.....only to find that either they are not shown, not credited to you etc. I feel so sorry for you. There was some teriffic, new pics there and I personally feel if they allow an entry that has been submitted before, in another comp, then there should be a separate catagory for it!!!!

Sorry this is a bit long but I really do feel for the people who made such a big effort with this.

Thanks Rachel for clarifying the Pro Beauty comps!!!!!!:lol:

wow they all look great x

Fab piccies in this thread - what a shame they didnt get shown off, I really feel for you. I love seeing piccies of other folks work it is so inspiring.
I didnt enter this time - just didnt have the time to do it, the time, effort and expense that goes into the photos is huge. Before you even think of picking up a camera you have to get the right model, the nail work, the props, the make-up, the costumes... the list goes on and on.
I could have entered my piccies from the photoshoot I won at last years comp, but I automatically assumed this wouldnt have been allowed.
JMO but I think all piccies should be new and original - i.e. not entered in previous comps. I can understand this would be a nightmare to police but previous winning photos are easily spotted. Like has been said what incentive does it give to try something new?

jac extreme said:
i thought all pics had to be new and not entered before I find this very confusing as they are marked on orginality also.

I agree, even though, after all the 're-submitted' entries in this one, it would be so easy for me to tweak my egyptian pic and send it in for the next comp, I couldn't do it, not with a clear conscience anyway! I still have the props that I bought for this one (Ebay must love these nail comps!!!) so I'll do something different with them - I already have an idea in mind.

Also on the originality thing..... I've held my tongue but this has really bugged me for a while. Mentioning no names or which comps, I was quite surprised, whilst browsing through one of my nail mags, to see a full page advert for a nail company - the thing that struck me was I'd recently seen exactly the same pose win one of the photo nail comps. Ok, it was different models and different nails, but the pose was just too alike (exactly) to be a coincidence. Now I know we all look for inspiration but to copy something so closely kind of stops it from being 'our' vision of how the theme should be portrayed. It's somebody else's idea and it's just been copied with different models and different nails.

The other one, again, no names or which comp, as far as I know didn't actually get their 'pic' in any of the magazines, but I had seen the winning pic and thought at the time it did look impressive - I like the way the 'scene' had been set up and the photo taken. So much so that it stuck in my mind. Imagine my surprise when I came across the same photograph recently in my guest gallery on my website! Different model and nails, but the set-up was EXACTLY the same! Now that pic had been there for well over 2 years but the winning pic I'd seen at the nail comp was well after that! It most certainly hadn't been sent in by the owner of the original pic which was in my gallery.

In both these cases the judges can't be expected to recognise an image that has been copied, (although I do think that the one that was copied from a recent advert could have been picked up on) but I do wonder how the person submitting the copied image feels when they are placed or win? Does the victory taste as sweet knowing it was somebody else's idea/vision that got you there? Or does how you win not matter? Remember when we were kids at our School Sports Days and our mum's telling us it's the taking part that matters, not the winning? If only this attitude stuck with everyone throughout life, wouldn't taking part in things just be so much nicer? :)

Jackie
x

I've been reading this thread with interest and have to put in my two pennith's worth!!
I decided not to enter the scratch shoot out, i booked the model, the photographer and had in my mind what i wanted to do,but with work being so hectic time got the better of me and i just couldn't give it my all so cancelled everything.
Was gutted cause you all know the photographic catergary is my fav, but i didn't want to submit something that my heart and soul hadn't gone into.
I would never have dreamed of entering a pic that i'd used in a pro nails comp cause i would feel like i was cheating myself, whether or not it was stipulated in the rules. I know with pro nails its a no no, and to me personally a big no no.
Congrats to all that entered, it's such a shame that all the photo's weren't on show or got lost!!??? I know how much work we all put in and for it to go un-noticed must be a right kick in teeth. The pics i've seen in the gallery are great and thanks Rachel i can get my thinking cap on now for sept!!!

Not all entries were shown - only the top entries were. Maybe next year they will opt to show all of them, however there isn't always the place, nor desire to display all of the entries.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to re-enter previous work so long as it has never previously placed in a competition. A proper picture is a lot of investment (far more than a standard nail competition) and people should be encouraged to make the most of it. After all, an entry may take last place at one photo comp and first at a later one simply because the first time it was entered it was a head of it's time. We should celebrate and encourage that. How many nail competitions are out there where you can have a second chance?

There were a lot of great shots there however in the end, the winning shot was the best and I see no reason why a less deserving image should have the honour.

Sheryl - I would be for calling Scratch to make sure they got the entry. If they havent responded to the email there is a good chance they didnt.

Hi Sam,

I totally see where you are coming from but surely it should be made clear in the rules!!!!!

From reading the posts it seems that most everyone thought the artwork had to be original.....I think that is why people are a little fed up about it!!!!!

Also it was not clear at the show that the pictures on display were 'The best of.....' and there was room to put more.

JMO :lol:

I appreciate and respect Sam's point, but this doesn't excuse the wrong name being put against pictures as far as I'm concerned. I, and I'm sure others, would like to feel we're good enough to enter these competitions one day, but I certainly would need to know the administration was being managed correctly and someone else wasn't going to get the credit for all my hard work!

The Nail Geek said:
Sheryl - I would be for calling Scratch to make sure they got the entry. If they havent responded to the email there is a good chance they didnt.

:) shall do, cheers Sam.

I understand what you are saying Sam and I am not saying the winning pic should not have won, just that things were not made clear and mistakes were made.

As I said before, I entered three pictures, one of which was chosen to be displayed, not the one I would have chosen if I had known someone else would make a choice, it also had someone elses name on it.

As you said people take a lot of time and effort with their entries and its upsetting when they are not displayed.

Latest posts

Back