Seriously worried-customer made fake trade account!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millyaulait

Reaction score
OK. This is awful.

A customer came in today saying that they wouldn't buy our polishes (OPI) due to the pricing, which is fine, but she said that she had made a trade account with Lena White so she could get them cheap.

She is NOT a professional. I made my usual polite conversation with her and jokingly asked her how she did it - she said she just faked the qualifications. How does this happen?! :(

I'm worried not only from a business perspective but from a legal point of view too. I mean, it's illegal, yes? Couldn't she get in some trouble for this?

That's terrible!! I hate stories like this, did they not ask her to send a copy of her qualifications? That's what I have to do for any account I've set up.

That's terrible!! I hate stories like this, did they not ask her to send a copy of her qualifications? That's what I have to do for any account I've set up.

I've always had to do that too! I don't know how she did it.

Baffling. :(

Me too, suppose people can fake anything these days.
One place I had to show my certificates I barely took it out the folder and she said "yes fine" didn't look or check it! Xx

It's called Deception and is a criminal offence.

The client is obtaining something to which she is not entitled. Lena White only sell to qualified technicians and would probably be horrified to learn that this person has deceived them.

It's awfull I know. But at least there is one consolation.. Your the professional and she's not. You will apply it like a professional and do a professional job. She will apply it like crap and do a crap job. :D

personally, I wouldnt waste your time and energy worrying about this.

Is isnt the type of client you want anyway, forget about her and concentrate on your business and your loyal clients.

Thanks everyone, you're right. It just shocked me.

We have lots of amazing, super sweet, loyal clients. I will just focus on them! :)

I think you ought to dob her in!! Get in touch with their head office and tell them what has happened. They might be able to block her account, or at least insist on tighter checks to verify professionals.

We have trade accounts for a reason, because we are in the business to make our living. If trade accounts were open to every tom, dick or harry then it devalues our industry.

Completely see why you were annoyed.

I would definitely contact head office! Just mention that you'd like to remain anonymous but this is what has happened. She probably forged a certificate...x

I was in Sally's VAT free today and while I was at the counter a girl approached and asked the staff member how much the bottles of Gelish are. The staff member asked if she had a trade card as she can only sell Gelish to trade customers. The girl replied "oh that's ok, my friend has a card, I can use hers". :eek:

So the public not only forge qualifications, they also impersonate professional therapists. You cant win.

Iv had to prove qualifications for hair accounts in all but one warehouse I use (it's even my favourite warehouse) and the only reason I didn't need proof (although it was in the car) was the girl setting up my account used to work in another warehouse and set my account up there so already knew I had my qualifications and insurance. Otherwise yes iv had to prove.

Tell the suppliers and have her account closed, she's only the general public to them and doesn't qualify for an account (she also doesn't deserve one as she hasn't put the work in to educate herself in the systems).
As said above, deception is illegal, you can contact the police if you wish, it may not be deception for fraud, but deception non the less is deception xoxo

well I have many accounts with many companies and can honestly say only ellisons and sweet squared asked for copies of qualifications, all the others are asked for online, which anyone could do.

You will apply it like a professional and do a professional job. She will apply it like crap and do a crap job. :D

Perfect example my lovely. Let the silly moo blag it cheap. Everyone can paint their own nails, everyone can do their own make-up, so why do they come to a pro for it to be done?

Surely this is a failing of Lena White.
We have lots of people trying to register on our trade website and you'd be surprised at just how many we don't hear from when we ask for their qualifications.
As an aside how many of you were asked by Sweet Squared to prove your quals when you bought shellac at Olympia this last weekend?
I doubt that all those people at the show were really in the trade...

That's one of the things I appreciated about Jessica and Decleor, you can't blag qualifications because opening an account involves a visit from your area representative. You can't just open it online!

I have recently opened a trade account and had to send my Qualifucations every certificate and current insurance certificate all in my name.

So not sure at all how she has managed it as they were really strict with me and that was only about 3 months ago x

If it makes you feel any better anyone can buy Gelish from our local wholesaler... I have never been asked for certificates and most of the people shopping there are members of the general public.

If it makes you feel any better anyone can buy Gelish from our local wholesaler... I have never been asked for certificates and most of the people shopping there are members of the general public.

Yep, today whilst in salon services, VAT day, I was at counter explaining that I am still waiting for my new card. I am on the system and had taken proof of I'd thinking this was what would be required. No! No proof needed,though I did give all the correct details as to who I was.

However, 4 girls next to me, about 19 yrs old, laden down with peroxide and hair colourants, they were asked for card, didn't have it, so they were asked for address of card holder. The girl in question, gave the wrong answer, so another piped up an address of a friend of hers who has a card!

I'm stood there listening to all of this, the lady on the til says, well I shouldn't really do this you know. Anyway, she damned will did do it. As they marched out, I said out loud that it was unacceptable. My til lady agreed, but said these people get really larey if refused.

I wasn't impressed. What the hell is the point in us having new trade cards and them telling us they are really tightening up on members of the public buying professional products? Peroxide as well, for goodness sake.

I'm actually going to call their head office tomorrow. When I tried to buy from Aston and Fincher, whilst living up north for a while, I was told to open an account I would need liability insurance documents brought in. I was working for someone so I didn't have these, I said can't I just bring my certificates in, she said no. I mean that goes from one extreme to the other.

Why can't these people get it right? Photo I'd cards in wholesales and certificate and proof of person for online accounts.

That's one of the things I appreciated about Jessica and Decleor, you can't blag qualifications because opening an account involves a visit from your area representative. You can't just open it online!

As it should be for all 'Trade' accounts. I had to have a rep visit & view certificates for Thalgo and Lena White (surprisingly considering what this thread is about). I also had to produce them for Aston & Fincher with ID but Sally's and Sienna X didn't ask to see them.

I do often wonder what % of visitors to the shows are trade and what % are not?

Latest posts

Back