Smoking in banned areas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoking ban in public places - good or bad??

• Bring it on - it can't happen soon enough

Votes: 101 61.6%
  • Nope don't want it, I will not be responsible for my actions if I can,t have a ciggie fix

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Doesn't bother me either way

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Should leave it as it is with designated smoking places

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Other - please state why

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

Snugglepuss

Reaction score
Ok geeky ones as I stated in my article about smoking, a no smoking ban in public areas in England is to be implented in the summer. Hopefully some of the geeks in other countries who already have this ban implemented will give their views on how it has worked and impacted in their daily lives.

Personally, I don't smoke BUT I think that as long as there are designated areas within a public place, then that is fair - both smokers and non smokers have a choice. IMHO the ban takes away smokers choice - and again IMHO that is not ideal.

In the workplace, in the main area then fair enough - no smoking - but again I think there should be a place where the workers can have a cigarette break.

So vote away geeks and please do not be judgemental towards anyone - honest opinions only please :wink2:

I don't smoke and have nothing against people who do.
The ban has been here for a year or so here and I have to say it is fab being able to go out and have a drink or a meal without the smoke.

I have a few friends that work in Bars and Pubs and they have all said they feel alot more Healthy since the ban and going home after a shift and not stinking out the house is a complete joy they also said that the amount of customers has risen people here don't seem to care about going outside to smoke some pubs have built areas in the garden with shelter for smokers.

I think it is a good thing and might help more people decide to give up altogether:hug:

I think its a good thing,

I am not a smoker myself but I don't particularly mind it, but what I do mind is being in a nightclubs bars etc and having careless people burn holes albeit accidently in my clothes. :irked:

As i am stopping,it might help me :D

However i do beleive designated area's should be available,but NOT in eating establishments x

I have been a social smoker since I was 15. I can go for weeks / months and not have one, but when I have a drink this feeling comes over me to have a Marlborough Light! I have voted 'Bring it on' because I feel that intensity to have one more, when I smell it - if I can't smell fagaroonies than I am less inclined to want one. If I am out and no one is smoking I won't want one!

I also think that if I was in a smart restaurant and was nipping off to have a fag at the front door I would look very sad indeed (this is how I would feel).
My husband is a smoker who is on the patches and hasn't had a fag since last Saturday. Knowing that he normally has a stash hasn't helped my willpower for nipping in the garage and nicking one of his.

I would dearly LOVE for the both of us to never have a fag again which is why we are off the drink too. After a while we will be OK with it but right now, no drink = no fags = better for us both.

Last comment. I have always REALLY enjoyed having a cigarette but am the most hypocritical person you will meet when it comes to them. In Paris I didn't have a fag for 2 days and was getting seriously naffed off with the people who smoke on every table whist I was eating - it was making me feel sick. Day three I had happily bought a pack and was doing what everyone else was doing - like I say - I'm a hypochrite but feel bad for the addicts which I have never been. Never woken up and craved a fag - only when I drink so that's me. In the long run, the world will be a better place without the dreaded weed but you gotta feel bad for those who not only are addicted but who enjoy it too! :!:

Mrs Geek - what a fab reply - I honestly believe that the majority of smokers feel the same way as you.

I feel for those that enjoy a cigarette straight after a meal - as you said how uncool would it look if everybody was having a quick cig outside a top notch establishment. These places will not be required by law to provide a shelter and indeed in some places it would not be possible due to space restrictions.

The bit I thought was bizarre was when I was researching, was that if a function is held in a marquee then it was classed as a banned area. I understand that the law is all about ventilation and breathing in second hand smoke - but surely this could be classed as an outside shelter or am I wrong??

I have been a social smoker since I was 15. I can go for weeks / months and not have one, but when I have a drink this feeling comes over me to have a Marlborough Light! I have voted 'Bring it on' because I feel that intensity to have one more, when I smell it - if I can't smell fagaroonies than I am less inclined to want one. If I am out and no one is smoking I won't want one!

I also think that if I was in a smart restaurant and was nipping off to have a fag at the front door I would look very sad indeed (this is how I would feel).
My husband is a smoker who is on the patches and hasn't had a fag since last Saturday. Knowing that he normally has a stash hasn't helped my willpower for nipping in the garage and nicking one of his.

I would dearly LOVE for the both of us to never have a fag again which is why we are off the drink too. After a while we will be OK with it but right now, no drink = no fags = better for us both.

Last comment. I have always REALLY enjoyed having a cigarette but am the most hypocritical person you will meet when it comes to them. In Paris I didn't have a fag for 2 days and was getting seriously naffed off with the people who smoke on every table whist I was eating - it was making me feel sick. Day three I had happily bought a pack and was doing what everyone else was doing - like I say - I'm a hypochrite but feel bad for the addicts which I have never been. Never woken up and craved a fag - only when I drink so that's me. In the long run, the world will be a better place without the dreaded weed but you gotta feel bad for those who not only are addicted but who enjoy it too! :!:

aw hunnio......... you sound like me
i say im nt a smoker.... i dont buy fags anymore and havent what i call smoked properly in a few yrs......... but
i have smoked........ i was a social smoker at first... and could go weeks/ months with out one
the only time i ever want a cigerette is when ive been drinking..... like on holiday last yr... i smoked then but nt every time i drink........ i think it depends who im with and if they smoke

i cant wait for the ban... cos it means you can go out clubbing or down the pub and your hair and clothes wont stink of smoke... when you get home... there nothing worse than waking up and having that manky smokey hair smell (when you only washed it before you went out the nite before) on your pillow and its worse if your hung over!...lol

Jess
xox

I'm a smoker, I think it is disgusting.. I am also a Hypocrite - I nag my husband for smoking as it irritates me that he has to have two with two cups of tea in the morning before he's alert :irked:

He had quit for 10 years but funnily enough, started smoking in Paris when he bought two items that cost about £1000 because he got mixed up with Francs and Euro's. I went mad because we could have had work done in the house with that money... and he demanded I gave him a ciggie!! I refused because he didn't smoke but he just said he'd go off and buy some if I didn't. That was in 2004 and he has been smoking since.

He keeps saying he will quit if I quit.. but I hate people who walk down the road smoking.. outside childrens play areas.. everywhere.

I think banning it will be great, I admit I found it hard in Ireland a few years ago when in the pub because it's nice to have a cig with a glass of wine... but now I don't go to pubs it wont bother me.

I agree people shouldn't smoke in restaurants, and it irritates me when I do go out that my hair and my clothes smell foul.

I can go for days without a cigarette but I do enjoy smoking and I would say that it is my only vice.

The money to be saved from stopping is brilliant!! The doctors giving out free stop-smoking aids is brilliant too - even if you work you can get free patches, free Inhalators and allsorts of help.

I would like to stop because of the money. My husband brings home 40 cigarettes every day - what a load of money.

He does smoke Silk Cut lights though, which he feels is better.. but not smoking would be better!!

aw hunnio......... you sound like me
ithere nothing worse than waking up and having that manky smokey hair smell (when you only washed it before you went out the nite before) on your pillow and its worse if your hung over!...lol

Jess
xox

Especially with our hair being long - it just reeks! I find myself thinking I'm even more stupid for actually allowing myself to succumb when I haven't had one in ages - problem is I can happily go through a pack if I am drinking! :rolleyes: Glad I'm not the only one Jess but I am sure the real addicts amoung us hate people like us for being able to do that!! :hug:

Glad I'm not the only one Jess but I am sure the real addicts amoung us hate people like us for being able to do that!!

Not hate :cry: but i will never understand how it gets a nasty grip of some and not others,it's not fliiping fair :)

i smoke...(gave up in feb for 4 months and like a muppet i started again)....i voted bring it on and i mean it.

although i smoke i hate smokey filled places.....my smoke is fine...i don't like everyone else...:lol:

if i am in a place where you cant smoke i ain't bothered....as soon as i get out i will light one...but i never leave the cinema for a fag....if i am allowed a fag i will have one ...if not i don't.

(soon to be quitting again...i loved being a non smoker...the benefits are fab)

I voted other because we already have the ban here in Scotland.
I am a smoker and I have to say that the ban actually doesn't bother me at all. It's nice to be able to go into a restaurant and be able to eat without smoke being blown in your face.

What is a public place in England?
Down here a public place is anywhere the public goes ie: the beach, the park, the street/footpath. So to me a ban in public places would include these also.......no?

I am a smoker i love smoking ..... and have done since i was 15 .....
I am very hypocritical because although i love doing it i hate the whole eating and smoking thing i hate coming home from the pub and my hair is stinking of stale cigs eewwww .....
so what do i do i stand outside and have a puff thinking i dont smell but every other smoker does :green: :green:

I think people who choose to smoke should do it in the comfort of there own back garden .... i dont smoke in front of my children and i def dont smoke in the house, and something i will never do is have a puff 5 mins before a client is due as i think rushing a ciggy makes the smell worse:green: :green:
No matter how many mints or bottles of detol you soak your hands in that smell is there .....

When the ban comes in maybe a lot more people will give up because it wont be an easy thing to do.... i certainly would concider it although a nice glass of wine and a malborough light is like heaven ahhhh can taste it now :lol:
I say bring it on ...... wont bother me in the slightest ...

I say bring it on.
I am a smoker...a 20 a day smoker but if I go out to eat with my boys or friends who dont smoke i wouldnt dream of smoking there, and I wouldnt even opt to sit in a designated smoking area.
If I can smoke I will...but if I cant, if i am out most of the day mobile or a place where i cannot smoke i just wont and it doesnt bother me, its if i know you can smoke then i will. but there are times and places i wouldnt
The funny thing is and this is hypictritacal i have never been out with a smoker and my ex wasnt a smoker......i dont like men who smoke...pmsl yep i know pot calling kettle but its true :lol: :lol:
As for pubs banning smoking because when i do go out on a girls night most of my friends smoke so yes i will probably be freezing my t**s off standing outside with them smoking, but if i was the only smoker in the party then i just wouldnt be bothered with the hastle.
so i am not against the smoking ban at all

social smoker :!:

I just had to quote this from Mrs Geek.....surely the best example of an oxymoron...as I can think of nothing more anti social than smoking!!!:)

Here is my tuppence worth...the smoking ban here in Scotland has been FABULOUS!!!...the only good thing Jack McConnell and the Scottish Parliament have done for us.

My husband and I go out more often as we know we won't smell like ashtrays when we get home.

Only downside is when you go in to a pub you need to walk through all the smokers puffing away outside...and in the Summer you can't sit in the Beer Garden as that is where all the smokers are.

Can you tell I have never smoked?

What is a public place in England?
Down here a public place is anywhere the public goes ie: the beach, the park, the street/footpath. So to me a ban in public places would include these also.......no?
A public place in England (as indeed the UK) is anywhere the general public visit like cinemas pubs etc.

"Smoking will not be permitted in any workplaces or public places which are “enclosed”
or “substantially enclosed” This means premises that have a ceiling or walls at least half
the way around, including doors and windows. The regulations will also cover work
vehicles, although there will be an exemption for vehicles that are only ever used by one
person with no passengers. It will not cover an employee’s own vehicle unless it is being
used for hire or as a work vehicle by more than one person."

HTHs

I just had to quote this from Mrs Geek.....surely the best example of an oxymoron...as I can think of nothing more anti social than smoking!!!:)

Ha ha you are so right Izzidoll - Social Smoker be Banned! Even after all the bans etc I know I will still get my Marlboro Light cravings... it's so hard to say no in the light of knowing you won't be clawing the walls in the morning... that is how poor Sam feels.

Here and now I pledge to support him and not let my 'unsocial-smoking-on-occasion' habits get the better of me! :smack:

Its starting here in Wales in April, Smoking is banned from any public enclosed space!
Tbh I cannot wait, as I hate going to a pub/club/or gone to have something to eat, and stinking of stale smoke! eghhhhhhhhh! Hate it!
So I voted Bring it on!
I used to smoke 20 a day and quit 2 years ago(have had a few sneaky fags when ive been out but thats about it! lol)

xxx

Glad I'm not the only one Jess but I am sure the real addicts amoung us hate people like us for being able to do that!!
I think it's more a lack of understanding than anything else... my hubby was the same until he gave up smoking 15 months ago, he was able to go to work all day and not have his first cig until he got home... why???? I don't get it.

Me... well, I get up in the morning, put the kettle on, turn the pc on and have my first cig with my coffee while I have my first Geek fix of the day... 3 fixes all at once, heaven lol

I think it's a good idea to have restrictions in place but I prefer the way the Spanish have done it, any bar/restaurant over 100m sq has the choice as to whether they want to allow smoking or not... I don't let it dictate to me which restaurant we go to though, so it proves I can go without the obligatory 'after dinner' cig!!!

Latest posts

Back