Smoking in banned areas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoking ban in public places - good or bad??

• Bring it on - it can't happen soon enough

Votes: 101 61.6%
  • Nope don't want it, I will not be responsible for my actions if I can,t have a ciggie fix

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Doesn't bother me either way

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Should leave it as it is with designated smoking places

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Other - please state why

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Bring it on I say.

I am a non-smoker and I hate it when you go to a pub, restaurant and come home stinking of smoke. Can anyone explain to me why restaurants think that having a smoking and non-smoking area works!! and why do so many have the smoking area at the front so that all the non-smokers have to walk through it :irked: .

I can't wait to be able to go out for the night and come home without my coat stinking for days.

As an ex-smoker, I voted for the first option ... ex-smokers opinions on the subject are quite often stronger than those of non-smokers.

If smokers wish to continue with their habit, I have no objection ... just not in my space thank you!

thank god i can move my desk out onto the footpath:lol:

I'm an ex-smoker.

I spent 27 years smoking 20 a day, I started very young!!!!!
I have voted 'Bring it on!' because as I have gone to hell and back and managed to quit the weed, I now don't like going out to pubs etc and sitting in the no smoking areas to have someone blowing smoke into my area from the smoking zone, it drifts accross ....:irked:

Sooner the better

I voted, keep as is, with designated smoking areas.

That is how it WAS here in Montreal. BUT they implemented the law that you can't smoke in ANY public places anymore, and must be 10yards from a common entrance to any building so that those going to and from don't have to inhale the fumes.
I don't go to restaurants anymore, I likely will not go to a bar until I've quit smoking (but then, I never go anyway, so no big deal lol), I simply avoid going anywhere for an extended period if I can't have a smoking break without freezing my tookus off outside.

Granted, I just got my prescription yesterday for the patch to quit smoking.
So YES, it's a nasty habit and YES I hate that it's an addiction and YES i want to quit, and YES it stinks.

HOWEVER......
I don't like that smokers are treated like lepers. I have to breathe in people's noxious body odours. I have to breathe in the polluted air from people's cars, busses, trains, etc.............
I find it all a bit rather hypocritical and unfair that smokers are targeted and the large manufacturers and travel companies aren't targeted for the pollution they are contributing to our air.
I'm sorry, but the simple fact is that smokers contribute far less to pollution than MANY other contributing parties (busses, plains, trains, boats, cars, manufacturers...)

If my money is good enough to pay for the food I'm going to eat, then I expect to have a smoking area to eat in, so that I can pleasantly digest the meal I just ate by following it with a coffee and a cigarette.
Granted, I do not like a cigarette waved in my face while a fork is in my hand, and I don't like to smoke in a room with closed windows, or in a car with closed windows.

But I just find this all a silly farce, and full of hypocrisy.

If people are so darned concerned with pollution and lung cancer, then drive an electric car.
:rolleyes:

but, I'm still going to quit smoking:lol:

I guess the poll is UK themed, but I say "bring it on"........

Here in Greece it is smoke wherever you like - places like post offices, official offices and shops all have staff smoking when you are there. It's a way of life!

As for my salon, that is the one place that smoking is banned (although they do try it on!).

I was impressed with the smoking ban in the UK whilst over for ExCel and the Nail Comp recently.

Eva

Hey

I think the smoking ban has been good in Scotland. I don't smoke but my Mum, Boyfriend and lots of friends do. It's great to wake up the next morning after being out and your hair not stink. It's also nice to walk into a Restaruant and there be no smoke. It wasn't until I was at Manchester at the show last year that I realised because I walked into a restaurant and there were people smoking until then I didn't realise how much I appriciated it.

Sarah x

Ok geeky ones as I stated in my article about smoking, a no smoking ban in public areas in England is to be implented in the summer. Hopefully some of the geeks in other countries who already have this ban implemented will give their views on how it has worked and impacted in their daily lives.

Personally, I don't smoke BUT I think that as long as there are designated areas within a public place, then that is fair - both smokers and non smokers have a choice. IMHO the ban takes away smokers choice - and again IMHO that is not ideal.

In the workplace, in the main area then fair enough - no smoking - but again I think there should be a place where the workers can have a cigarette break.

So vote away geeks and please do not be judgemental towards anyone - honest opinions only please :wink2:

Right Debs, I have to answer first and then read the rest of the replies otherwise I'll be a smoking, giving up, feeling guilty smoker, by the time I get to the end of the posts.

I do smoke. I voted and believe in designated areas (with ventilation, or even just outside) to smoke in.

I believe in free will and freedom of choice which I feel will be taken away from the smokers with the action coming into force in the Summer.

I would just like to add that myself and (I think) many other geeks have "designated areas" at home because we do not want to affect the people around us that we love.

Actually though, if I was ever offendng or annoying anyone because of my smoking and they asked me to stubb it out I would.

Teri x:hug:

i havent read other replies im sorry ,
but heres my long oppinion lol :lol:

i am in two minds over this , as with everything else ...
i have smoked since the age of 13 :eek: , i gave up for 5 years ..best 5 years ever!
although i smoke again now .
so i know how it is from both ends
*part of me thinks it is good , as hopefully when my girls are at the "age" smoking may not be as common , i remeber when i was little , you could smoke on buses !
so there may be less chance of my girls smoking (i live in hope)
*then i think it could be a bad thing ,imagine all the crowds that will be hanging around outside of clubs and pubs ...the later the night gets ..the more people brought together drunk , the more chance of fights occuring !

more people may choose to stay in and have a drink in the house , more noise for the neighbours:irked:

now in eating establishments i think it should be banned altogether, its just minging, i would never light up in a area where somebody is eating .

so i think there are good and bad points ..but it really doesnt matter because whats done is done !

I'm a non smoker and I agree with some of the other girls......I can't stand going out and having to walk through stinky smoke to get in the front door of anyplace ....or maybe wanting to enjoy eating / being outside without having to smell lingering smoke from someone ....let alone having to pass them in a crowd and accidentally getting burned from there cherry.....if your going to kill yourself by smoking do it at home ....this way you / I don't have to hear any complaints from anyone about the second hand smoke, burned skin/clothing, and I can enjoy myself without your habit......

I'm a smoker and if I can smoke I will smoke.
Yet if I am working mobile I don't take my cigarettes with me and don't think about smoking at all. I can be out of the house for 6 hours and not have one.
I don't take them if we take the kids to a restaurant etc.
So maybe it will do me some good...we'll see.

The smoking ban has been in force in Ireland for quite some time now, since early 2004, and truth be told, its like it has never been any other way. There were the original sceptics saying it could never be enforced (I was one) however, it has, and its fantastic.

Clean breatheable air everywhere, most notably in pubs. A few times Jackie and I have gone into one of the local pubs for lunch and its like a completely different place. I used to smoke so I can remember what it was like before the ban. I never really gave it much thought before but it must have been sheer hell for bar staff who didnt smoke working in that environment day in day out.

I must say though that I do feel sorry when I drive past pubs on cold nights and look at the groups of smokers huddled outside under a canopy shivering with the cold and trying not to get hit by the falling rain. I'm thinking back to Izzy's remarks 'social smoking' What could be further from the truth?

Victoria, you're trying to rationalize hun, clouding the issue (pardon the pun) with talk of pollution on the streets. I smoked for years, know all the angles. *lol*

Emmsy, no offence intended, but your girls are much more likely to smoke purely because they see their mum doing it now, it wont have anything to with bans in public places.

Bring it on!

Seanny,or anyone living with the ban in force.

My sister visited a place and she said allthough it was nice for it not to be smokey,the pubs stunk of loo's and stale beer as there was no smoke to mask the smell,have you noticed anything similar ?

Becki, what can I say? The pubs sell beer, its gonna smell of beer to some degree, but that shouldnt be a problem as thats why everyone is in there. :)

The loo smell? Nope, I havent experienced it as yet, it would show any pub in a very bad light if the loo was stinking the place out. Ithink this might be another case of the dreaded rationalisation. People looking for some leverage so that they can get the ban lifted perhaps? *lol*

Some fab answers and replies :hug:

I used to be a cleaner in a pub many moons ago and I can honestly say Becki, that on a morning in amongst the smell of stale smoke you could smell stale beer and definitely (sorry gents) the men's toilets smelt awful - and you could smell it in the main part of the pub:eek:

So thanks for a very valid point Becki - don't know if any one else has encountered the same???

I agree Seanny, that is the reason why people go to pubs to have some beer and therefore it isn't a problem the smell of beer.

The toilet thing - you can try and cover up the smell but unfortunately if it gets under the floor covering, into the grout of the tiles etc, then the stench is unbelievabe! and it can not be removed that easily :eek:

and again I agree with you Seanny about people wanting to find a reason for changing the ban.

BTW I also was a barmaid in the pub and hated the smell of smoke on me when I came home :eek:

Becki, what can I say? The pubs sell beer, its gonna smell of beer to some degree, but that shouldnt be a problem as thats why everyone is in there. :)

The loo smell? Nope, I havent experienced it as yet, it would show any pub in a very bad light if the loo was stinking the place out. Ithink this might be another case of the dreaded rationalisation. People looking for some leverage so that they can get the ban lifted perhaps? *lol*

I know they sell beer :smack: she meant a nasty smell,off beer she thought and stale fags,you know on the furniture,curtains as well as loo smells etc :lol:

And i agree some will find things to complain about to get the ban lifted,but as she is a non smoker is chuffed it will be effective here soon,she just said that smoke hid the smell of dirty pubs lol.

Oh and fyi she went to a place which is always swarmed with tourists not a dingy back street pub,she was really quite surprised.

Btw thanks Debs x

Victoria, you're trying to rationalize hun, clouding the issue (pardon the pun) with talk of pollution on the streets. I smoked for years, know all the angles. *lol*

Emmsy, no offence intended, but your girls are much more likely to smoke purely because they see their mum doing it now, it wont have anything to with bans in public places.

Bring it on!

Oh gosh, no, not trying to rationalize at all. Honestly. I don't like being a smoker, I agree it's bad, etc... I just think that it's all a bunch of hypocrisy. I truly do NOT understand why they target smokers and not the other big pollutants. Makes no sense to me. What's the point? We're still breathing polluted air:eek:

And YES, I DEFINATELY agree that my girls would be more likely to smoke, seeing me doing it. Hence why yet again, I'm trying to quit. When this bag of cigarettes is done, on goes my patch.. and the battle will begin.
Again :lol: I'm doing it more for them, than myself. Although most days, several times a day, I light one, and find myself putting it out because I don't want it anymore. So, I figure... it's time... this is it, I WILL quit for good this time.

Take that as a subtle warning that I may be slightly psychotic in about a week, so PLEASE PLEASE do not hold me accountable for my actions.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am an ex smoker, I cant wait for the smoking ban to start, my hubby goes out and comes home stinking of cigarettes, its grosse!! Also if we go to have food with the kids its not nice for them to be in a smoky atmosphere!

I know they sell beer :smack: she meant a nasty smell,off beer she thought and stale fags,you know on the furniture,curtains as well as loo smells etc :lol:

And i agree some will find things to complain about to get the ban lifted,but as she is a non smoker is chuffed it will be effective here soon,she just said that smoke hid the smell of dirty pubs lol.

Oh and fyi she went to a place which is always swarmed with tourists not a dingy back street pub,she was really quite surprised.

Btw thanks Debs x

Becki, I do take your point. I was trying to be funny but it probably came across as being smart, one of my many failings, sorry.

oki, i feel now rather an experienced person :wink2:
Smoking in public plases like cafes, clubs, restaurants...etc , is banned in Lithuania since May 2006 ...almost for a year already...

the positive points i've noticed:
  1. as non smoker i do really do feel unbelievable pleasure sitting in smoke-&-cigarett-smell-free cafe...
  2. & in clubs now You dont need to go every 15minuts out to have a sup of fresh air, 'cause inside there is left nothing to breath with..
  3. you dont have to wash all your cloves & hare after an hour in the cafe or club.. to get rid of the smoke smell..
  4. the most positive in my eyes point- my friend gave up smoking because of the ban..yes, she jus had to smoke less & less cigaretts, & eventually she simply doesnt really need them & gave up smoking completely.. :)
negative:
  1. smoking people , i think, feel like their rights were broken... & this dissatisfaction may sometimes leed to some conflikts..
  2. some people , i believe, do really need sometimes to make some whiffs to calm down or smth alike...& that is unfaire they have no abilities to do that...
  3. & those youn people going even during the winter out for a smoke with almost no clothes & really hot of dansing, drinks & in too good mood to realise their actions...feel really terrible that they can get seriously ill because of that...
oh...feel my arguments, aspecially "negative" ones doesn sound heavily enough...
may be because i cant say im tottaly against this smoking ban...in fact i do like it...
but in some scense think it is too severe ... i would stay pretty suttisfied if there would stay special separate smoking areas, there smokers & nonsmokers won't bother each other...

Latest posts

Back