Stiletto Nail - Weird or Wonderful?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kajay

Reaction score
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this nail shape, I think personally it's a weird shape to have for nails. It reminds me of a witch, and nearly everyone of my clients, and friends think the same, and wouldn't want this to be done to their nails. It's the pointy ends that I don't like.

Last edited:
When I first saw pictures of them I disliked them, however they have grown on me. Some of them that I have seen look fab, however, I fear they are for me, not very pratical, maybe for a special night out when you just want to have the wow factor.

I love the look, the art that generaly gets done with them and most of all the skill it takes to make them.
I have played a couple of times and know it's harder then it looks, in fact I have yet to produce a true stilletto. I need to see to be able to do, it's the way my brain works:Scared:
so until I can find someone who will let me sit by their shoulder I'll just admire all the beautiful ones I see all over the web.

I love perfectly done stiletto nails, those which are not professionally done, do look weird.

I think stilettos are beautiful and I really appreciate the talent it takes to do them.

I tried once and it was a nightmare lol!

I LOVE:Love::Love: them, but sadly I haven't tried a full set on myself so cant say how I could handle them.....note to self: do a full set of stilettos to trial wearability.

Ow, er. Did someone say "stiletto's"?

For the woman,

20100318_Zamustinchuk.jpg

And the man,

20100404_Pepjjn_Borrel.jpg

The male stilettos were create and worn by Pepijn Borell, a wonderful nail artist from the Netherlands who was one of the judges at the World Championship salon nail competition in Düsseldorf 10 days ago. The male figures on the nails were created in acrylic (bas-relief technique).

I really like the shape! My favorite is when they show bits of the clear to give that glass look to it :)

I can't wear mine that long or pointy, so I have like a mini stiletto thing going on without so much pointiness to it. If i make it too pointy, I feel like I have bear claws XD

PERSONALLY SPEAKING .... I could not be bothered to waste my time trying to sell this shape as a salon service nor the nail art on it .... they do not play a part in my business at all.

However they are fun to play about with in your spare time if you need the artistic outlet and find it fun and have the money to spare to get all the supplies you need to do the art etc.

I still have nail art supplies that are more than 10 years old that were rarely used in the salon as clients did not want it and perhaps more importantly, they did not want to pay for the time it took to do it. And I have to say, Clients have not changed all that much.

Many American ladies seem to love nail art and there are other pockets of devotees in other parts of the world but in conservative old Britain and here in Spain, I have found there is not the same demand.

I dont like them at all, like someone else said they remind me of witches nails :) okay for a special occasion I guess:wink2:

I love the look of the stilletto nail, but could not wear them as per the above photos.
I do where my version of stilletto, which is much shorter - more a pointy almond shape.
Currently I'm wearing some Nfu.Oh glitters with lots of 3d sculpted flowers on - it makes people ask about my nails, which then gives me a chance to give them a business card :wink2:.

I stopped wearing my nails square after the first 'EVENT'. Most of the CND people there were wearing almond shaped nails & I went on to wear them myself. My client loved the new look & took to it really well.
I have now a 50/50 with squares & almond shapes instead of all square.
Some say how much longer it makes their fingers look.

Attachments

• Nfu.Oh with 3D flowers resized.jpg
    Nfu.Oh with 3D flowers resized.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 14,039
I LOVE the shape but not with all that nail art, maybe a ruby red slipper or the clear ones with 3D flowers on. But they aren't really for everyday wear and don't appeal to many.

I wear a longish almond shape myself but do go longer for special ocasions, but I do find that men are scared by them if they are too long! lol!

I never liked the stilettos shape for the same reason that many have said above, however the other week I did decide to do a full set and I have to say I loved them once they were on.
However those of you who saw them in the critique section will also know that they came off the next day due to me snaping them and puncturing the opposite fleshy part of my thumb while working on a clients nails.
For me after having worn them myself my opinion has changed I love them, they are just too impractical for me and my heavy handedness.
Jen
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-critiques/109323-twighlight-evening.html link to my stilettos.

I like them from a visual nail art point of view but to me they're not particularly practical and I don't recall ever seeing anyone in "real life" with nails like that.

I really like stilettos when they're at a reasonable length, as opposed to the length of the ones Bob's shown.
I wear them myself from time to time and find that stilettos, as well as almond, are the best shape for me when it comes to not filing the corners off while working on client's nails, I also tend not to 'catch' them quite as often :wink2:

I love them!! Had a set on for a week now & they haven't stopped me doing anything!! My clients love them and I get loads of comments in shops etc. It showcases to clients you're talents and is certainly a conversation starter.

I love them too. None of my clients want them which is good because mine are still a bit hit and miss!!

They dont stop me doing much although switching the old tv in my bedroom on is an issue and pressing the flush button on the toilet takes some work!!

They do get noticed and it is a nice way to present nail art...... although i think they look a bit like witches hats.

If nothing else, they give me plenty of oppitunity to practice my filing!!!

All my clients want square nails so i get bored of doing that shape, its nice to have something different to do!!! :D

I found on the web this pic of a gorgeous set of nails, and in my opinion much more flattering than stiletto shape nails. I snapshot the image to my iphone, and now cannot remember where I viewed them!! Would love to have these in different colours, like black or white with silver laces, or pink!!

kajay-albums-ballet+shoe+nails-picture26338-i-absolutely-love-shape-these-nails-my-opinion-they-much-more-flattering-than-stiletto-shape-i-snapshot-pic-my-iphone-web-so-i-could-attempt-do-them-myself-now-cannot-remember-where-i-viewed.jpg

Last edited:
I think stilletto nails are fun and fab for advertising or photographic work but not for day to day! dont think many clients could work with them you cant beat a beautifull almond shape i think!:D

Well guys 1 of my ladies is a die hard stilletto wearer and is in later for her claws to be sharpened!!
I love her to bits but I dont love her nails!
At the moment shes having french and they just look ssooo wrong to me!
Shes always breaking them but hey ho she seems to love em!
Kerching $££$$ is all I can say!
I've really tried but its her thing!!
Each to their own!
Jayneym xxxx

Latest posts

Back