stop being harsh geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

janeawallace

Reaction score
Hi All

I was really glad when i found this web site as i am new to the nail business and thought it would really help me with my nail problems. I have to say the majority of geeks offer good advice without being critical but i have noticed on quite a few threads recently that some geeks are being a bit harsh with their replies. We dont want to be made to look stupid by asking questions as i thought this was the idea of this site so come on geeks give us newbies a break !!:)

Well maybe I am missing something but I think the board has been very quiet lately and I haven't seen anything harsh. I do know though that if I know a geek well I am often more straight up in my replies than if I don't know them. Maybe this is what you have experienced? But I really haven't seen any harsh replies and am really surprised by this thread ... or maybe I have become too addicted to the tv trivia quiz on Facebook to notice lol! :hug:

I can't say I have seen any harsh posts either and as Sass says sometimes when we know another geek fairly well, we know what we can get away with.

At the end of the day we are all here to help one another, get ideas and answers to queries and if there is anything too harsh or out of order I am sure the mods would step in straight away as they have done in the past.

Well maybe I am missing something but I think the board has been very quiet lately and I haven't seen anything harsh. I do know though that if I know a geek well I am often more straight up in my replies than if I don't know them. Maybe this is what you have experienced? But I really haven't seen any harsh replies and am really surprised by this thread ... or maybe I have become too addicted to the tv trivia quiz on Facebook to notice lol! :hug:

The reason it is quiet is cause everyone is on facebook instead lol!!!

Well I know what you mean Jane. I have not been on the receiving end of any of it but I have noticed. :hug:

(and I'm not talking about helpful geeks running through procedures etc)

I think us mods are totally clueless in this..can anyone point us in the general direction of what area of the forums you guys are finding this? Is it all forums or just one ? I must admit that I don't read every single post on here so I must be missing it.

I am sorry there are geeks on here that feel like there is negative feelings on here. Hopefully we can figure out where it is coming from and maybe change the atmosphere a bit?

The best solution is to use the report this post link to alert the moderator team that there are posts that are negative in nature. The mods look at every single one of these reports and then they take the appropriate action by either deleting, and/or infracting and/or speaking with the offensive person via PM and/or debating the situation with the other moderators to come up with a solution. If you feel that for whatever reason you can not address the issue with a moderator, then drop me a PM. These issues are always dealt with in a sensitive and anonymous nature.

HTHs!

I gotta say the only thing i find annoying about this site is when threads like this get started!! What am i missing??
People are strange and the fact is your not going to like everything you see and read.. but Im basically addicted to this place and i have yet to come across rudeness..
or perhaps i just dont take everything so personally!! at the end of the day this is a forum.. i can ignore the bad and focus on the good..
You cant have a discussion without more then one persons point of view!

Hiya I felt a little insulted recently over a couple of replies to one of my posts! I think people went a little to far with telling me the "correct" information. I'm not saying I was upset or anything just a little miffed and couldnt be bothred to retort lol! I have been doing nails for over a year and I'm NVQ qualified, I may be new to this site but Im not new to the industry. I felt my ability to work was questioned, unjustifiably.
I will say though, that even though we do have these little smileys (which help), only the person typing knows how something is being said. Its very easy to take something the wrong way when reading text.

I just read your thread and wondered what you were referring to. I then thought I'd check out your previous posts and sure enough, it looks like big mouth me who may have upset you. That wasn't my intention I promise you.

I am a little blunt at times but it's only to get across that you/we should be professional. I get countless PM's from geeks I don't know asking me for help with their business matters simply because I am straight and to the point...........and I help everyone.

So, maybe geeks should actually question themselves before they post, rather than complain when they don't get the answer they want.

Hope there's no hard feelings as it wasn't personal. x

When i posted this thread i wasnt doing so to upset any one else, I know all you geeks are passionate about what you do, when i read some of your replies to other peoples questions they just seem a bit rude, its not so much as what is said but perhaps the way in which you phrase things. Youhave to remember some of us are new to this industry and what we may ask seems huge to us and maybe trivial to some of you guys and so when you reply to the post that really comes across sometimes.:):):)

Hiya I felt a little insulted recently over a couple of replies to one of my posts! I think people went a little to far with telling me the "correct" information. I'm not saying I was upset or anything just a little miffed and couldnt be bothred to retort lol! I have been doing nails for over a year and I'm NVQ qualified, I may be new to this site but Im not new to the industry. I felt my ability to work was questioned, unjustifiably.
I will say though, that even though we do have these little smileys (which help), only the person typing knows how something is being said. Its very easy to take something the wrong way when reading text.

When I joined this site I actually felt the same way, I do think that when a question gets answered on here sometimes the sites new members get ignored or there response overlooked. I know you can't qoute everybody or thank them individually but when you are a new member and your advice gets ignored in favour of someone thats been around longer it can make you feel a bit down.

As for the harsh posts I would pm a mod or ask a fellow geek to read it to and see if they think it is harsh to.

Well here goes with my take on the written word! I think that if people would realise that no one on here is intentionally rude and that mostly it is in the interpretation of the reader and not the writer that makes it so. If you reread most posts thinking that the poster is trying to "help me" and not "scorn or scoff at me" then most misinterpretations would not exist in the first place. Most of the time all people are doing is trying to help you not make the mistakes that they made ... now that can't be a bad thing can it? Read in a positive mindset and the post will be a positive one to you. :hug:

Well here goes with my take on the written word! I think that if people would realise that no one on here is intentionally rude and that mostly it is in the interpretation of the reader and not the writer that makes it so. If you reread most posts thinking that the poster is trying to "help me" and not "scorn or scoff at me" then most misinterpretations would not exist in the first place. Most of the time all people are doing is trying to help you not make the mistakes that they made ... now that can't be a bad thing can it? Read in a positive mindset and the post will be a positive one to you. :hug:

Well put Sassy - as always:lol:

The minute I saw this thread my thoughts were "and light the touch paper":rolleyes:
I never normally post on these type of threads as the same thing always gets hashed out time and time again.
I on occasion have felt a little put out, but it's normally down to my mindset when reading more than anything else. Sometimes asking for advice get answers you don't necessarily want to hear, but it's all given with the best intentions in mind.:hug:

We all feel like this from time to time geeky ones - I know I do :lol: and honestly I can say that all different types of forums have this sort of thread posted from time to time - it is definitely human nature.

We all have a burning question we want to ask when we discover our new passion in our life and it can feel hurtful when it appears nobody shares that passion OR seems to reply in a less than thoughtful way.

What we have to remember is that we all have different personalities - I'm a big softy and will always try and reply in a laid back way! Whereas, someone else has a more direct and forthright way of replying and can definitely feel extremely hurtful (even when it isn't intentional)!

Try and take a step back and like Sass and the Geek say, give them a nudge and just run through it with one of the mod teams.

What I will say is that, the mod team are really good at spotting any posts which are a bit out of hand iykwim BUT if they have missed any that you feel are a bit below the belt, then definitely report it - I know that I don't read and respond to every post - it's just not possible or it isn't appropriate!

For example Florence2004 face book post - I haven't responded yet because I can't log-on on - it won't accept my registration details and I have emailed them as per instructions - but nada - nothing :lol: So therefore, I haven't responded to say I have joined :lol:

Hope you all feel better about it all soon - remember it is human nature to want to feel wanted needed and liked by everyone - it's just that you can't please everyone all of the time :hug::hug::hug:

Happy geeking everyone :hug:

I think it would be nice to give the benefit of the doubt when someone takes the time to reply.

When I first posted, I was just happy (ok ecstatic!!!) to get a reply!:) If someone gives me extra, basic information, all the better. Does this mean they are assuming I don't know this info? I never choose to take it that way. And I would hope a more experienced geek would correct me if I misunderstood something. That's why we're here, right?

It would be a shame if everyone had to waste time and space 'softening' their responses to make sure no one takes it personally.

It would be a shame if everyone had to waste time and space 'softening' their responses to make sure no one takes it personally.

Just like to have my 2p worth! I am new to this site, too, and still feeling my way around. I have found it extremely worthwhile and definitely helpful in that all the questions I want to ask are answered in a positive and helpful manner.

However, I do beg to differ from the above quote. Before I went into nails I worked as a PA for 30 years and the company always had a policy on "e-mail etiquette". No matter how you put messages across, we should all try not to offend - the same goes for forums. It doesn't take long to think before you type!!! Everyone is different in personality. So....let's keep the love coming!:hug:

With so many personalities on here it would be impossible to never offend or unintentionally upset anyone...you cant go around thinking...ohh i better be more thoughtful with her cos she is quite sesitive...and i had better change how that reads cos she has personal problems....or i had better not say that cos she takes things the wrong way....we cant possibly be expected to know everyones personalities or moods.

I do try as best i can and i do re-read things i type, i add smilies and i never talk to anyone in a way that i wouldn't want to be spoke to myself, but i ain't perfect and i may make mistakes sometimes....doesnt make me a bad person.....and neither are any of you...:hug: x

Hi All

I was really glad when i found this web site as i am new to the nail business and thought it would really help me with my nail problems. I have to say the majority of geeks offer good advice without being critical but i have noticed on quite a few threads recently that some geeks are being a bit harsh with their replies. We dont want to be made to look stupid by asking questions as i thought this was the idea of this site so come on geeks give us newbies a break !!:)

100% agree hun xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back