Thinking of swapping Shellac for Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahc

Reaction score
most of my clients are in their 20's-30's and not keen on the shellac colours, bit safe or boring (their words, not mine) seriously thinking swapping for gelish they seem to have more exciting colours, glitters etc .. has anyone swapped brands, cant say shellac has been the amazing manicure i tried to promote from the start, just keep get people calling up asking for gelish :(

If people are asking for gelish in particular then you should bring that in aswell. And run it with shellac incase people still want that. :) give the people what they want.

You need to provide the service your clients will pay for. What's the point of trying to sell them Shellac when you know you can sell Gelish super easy.

Gelish cures under the CND lamp (I believe) so that reduces your startup cost, and you can always start off with Gelish colours that you don't have in Shellac for something more to your clients taste. And for those who want Shellac you can offer that, for those who want Gelish that. Best of both worlds.

Why not do both... I do!

Then your clients have a choice of what they want

thanks all
thanks fozzio, didnt realise gelish cured under cnd lamp .. do you know how long to set for, is it the same as shellac ?
xx

thanks all
thanks fozzio, didnt realise gelish cured under cnd lamp .. do you know how long to set for, is it the same as shellac ?
xx

1 min foundation, 2 mins colour (or 3 mins on some darker colours) and 2 mins TIO xxx

I agree, you need to supply whatever service your clients are asking for. If they're asking for Gelish then go for it! Personally I find that Shellac is going down a storm, but I get where you are coming from about the colours being a bit "safe", I actually think that CND in general are a bit too safe with their colours in Shellac, nail polish and acrylic powders.

I agree, you need to supply whatever service your clients are asking for. If they're asking for Gelish then go for it! Personally I find that Shellac is going down a storm, but I get where you are coming from about the colours being a bit "safe", I actually think that CND in general are a bit too safe with their colours in Shellac, nail polish and acrylic powders.

Where colour is concerned, The word 'safe' can go out the window with the addition of additives to Shellac ... and it's allot less expensive than changing brands. I do hear you but rather than boring and safe I choose classy and elegant. :lol:

If you have clients who have more glitter and hot colours in mind, then Shellac now has all those too with the addition of the additives.

I have never had a single person come into our salon asking for anything other than Shellac.. Not one. Funny how areas differ. If clients are wanting Gel then give them Gel as well. That's called being full service. If there is a big enough demand then go for it. If not then there is every option available with Shellac.

More and more, I think that techs will have to carry more than one power/gel polish brand. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I think that many of the gel polishes (OPI, Gelish, Geleration, ACG, etc.) are a good complement to Shellac, particularly those brands that having matching regular polish - like OPI and Geleration. One nice thing about Gelish is that it advertises that any other gel polish can be used with its base and top coats, so that opens up a huge range of colours for you. And a nice thing about Shellac is that the CND UV lamp will cure them all until you decide to get an LED lamp!

More and more, I think that techs will have to carry more than one power/gel polish brand. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I think that many of the gel polishes (OPI, Gelish, Geleration, ACG, etc.) are a good complement to Shellac, particularly those brands that having matching regular polish - like OPI and Geleration. One nice thing about Gelish is that it advertises that any other gel polish can be used with its base and top coats, so that opens up a huge range of colours for you. And a nice thing about Shellac is that the CND UV lamp will cure them all until you decide to get an LED lamp!

So you can use Gelish foundation and top it off with any make of coloured gel polish sandwiched in the middle?

With regards to shellac colours I just wish they'd bring out some neons (so popular in the summer months) and I don't think even the additives make neons do they??? X

So you can use Gelish foundation and top it off with any make of coloured gel polish sandwiched in the middle?

That's what Nail Harmony says in its ads. I've tried it and it works perfectly.

With regards to shellac colours I just wish they'd bring out some neons (so popular in the summer months) and I don't think even the additives make neons do they??? X

if you take Tropix and add the yellow additive you get a nice bright orange

if you take one coat cream puff, one coat hotski, and top them with cobalt additive...nice bright blue

those are the only ones I've played around with to get...but I'm sure you'll be able to make many more :)

if you take Tropix and add the yellow additive you get a nice bright orange

if you take one coat cream puff, one coat hotski, and top them with cobalt additive...nice bright blue

those are the only ones I've played around with to get...but I'm sure you'll be able to make many more :)

Thanks, but I'm after true neons. Don't think there are any neon additives are there? X

Thanks, but I'm after true neons. Don't think there are any neon additives are there? X

Not at the moment but I personally hate the neon look and have never even had those colours in the salon. MY clients are regulars, not teenaged tourists and would never wear neon in a million years. I accept that a different clientele may want something different.

I can certainly get a bright enough eye popping blue, orange and acid green out of the additives if I was asked for it .. As for glow in the dark neon ... No thanks.

Last edited:

i agree with you here Nancy, i have recently introduced OPI Gelcolor to compliment my Shellac service.i love the speed the LED lamp affords you . both are great products . The possibilities are endless , i just wish i had a better imagination .:lol:

I'm in the same situation. A few of my clients aren't liking the colours at the moment. They want brights.

I'm going to be bringing gelish in along side shellac. I will be getting brights, glitters, neons etc so alot more choice but they still have the option for shellac.

I have over 60odd colours for shellac but they are darks, pinks and reds so need a change.

Do both x x

Before you do anything hun try the additives im currently wearing hotski with cerulean blue- gives you the most fabulous turquoise/ azure blue with a shimmer- finger popping bright colours! The additives gives you so much colour choice and ive only got 6 at the moment.

Also consider how much a pot of additives costs- its less than a bottle of shellac and much less than a bottle of gelish for example and much less than buying a whole new system in. If your clients are asking for gelish cos of the colour range then additives have just answered your prayers imho :) additives can create so many new colour combos, enhance existing colours, used to create on trend colours, worn as standalone colours and can create fab nail art. Much better imho than buying in colours (for eg neons) that will probably go out of season later this year and youre left with colours you cant shift, at least with say for example one pot of additives youll be able to use it all the time.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with gelish or other gel polishes, it just seems a real shame that you have to pay out for another product based on colour range when shellac has many possibilities and its still growing.
Just my opinion lovey x x x

That's what Nail Harmony says in its ads. I've tried it and it works perfectly.

Just to confirm that CND Shellac is a POWER POLISH not a GEL POLISH :)

Don't mean to shout but just so that when other people read this thread they understand that you cannot mix CND SHhellac with other products, CND Shellac should be used as a system :)

Just to confirm that CND Shellac is a POWER POLISH not a GEL POLISH :)

Don't mean to shout but just so that when other people read this thread they understand that you cannot mix CND SHhellac with other products, CND Shellac should be used as a system :)

As I've said before, this is where it gets interesting. Gelish says you can, Shellac says you can't. Which is right? I've used Shellac color with Gelish base and top on myself and it works fine (w/CND UV lamp only) - it's consistent with one manufacturer's instructions, but at odds with another. Intermixing is another one of those hot issues (like the lamp issue) that manufacturers and techs will be navigating over the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back