To comp or not to Comp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchQueen

Reaction score
displayimage.php
Hi Everyone. I'm thinking about competing in the sydney expo nail awards in august. Been a tech for 4 years but have never done competition nails before. I've been wanting to compete for a while but the self doubt keeps creeping in, Don't know if I can afford it... etc etc blah blah. This is a french acrylic backfill I did today on a friend. Sorry the pic is not fantastic but What do you think??
ARGH can't get pic to upload..sorry I'm working on it.

Last edited:
where is the pic

I'm still a student so I'm not the one can criticize...but i think they r perfect!!xxxx

Are these done with white tips or white powder ?
they could do with been brought in at the side walls, they look to fan out from the photo hth

Regardless of whether or not you think your nails are good enought to win, I would highly recommend entering competitions. I have never came away from a competition without improving my skills for the salon. Go for it!

Are these done with white tips or white powder ?
they could do with been brought in at the side walls, they look to fan out from the photo hth
They are done with creative White and Intense pink. I'm seing her again to day so I'll have another look at them and will take a better picture.

I'd say go for it...you will never know until you do and it's a great experience all round, even if a bit stressful!

Comp comp comp! They look gorgeous! :green:

Regardless of whether or not you think your nails are good enought to win, I would highly recommend entering competitions. I have never came away from a competition without improving my skills for the salon. Go for it!
Go for it . It's a learning experience...:)

Go for it, I'm thinking of going into competition nails myself, infact I'll make another post for tips / advice etc.

Anyway back on topic they do look like they fan out a bit to me as well but apart from that they're gorgeous!

I say go for it

Its not about winning its the taking part that counts

Wow they look fab! I'd say go for it!

you could do with a model that has longer more slender nail beds.

you could do with a model that has longer more slender nail beds.

By the sound of it, such nail beds are worth their weight in gold! I wish they were in my DNA too but alas not.

Can see where people are coming from though - it's a similar situation in body painting, where taller, slenderer models are usually more sought after (although personally I prefer to paint as many different body sizes and shapes as possible as I think it's more interesting that way).

By all means enter,it will be a great experience for you.

Check out the criteria that the judges will be looking for, comp work is quite different to salon work.

I will see you there ........ I'm one of the judges:)

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm totally going to go. It will be so exciting to be around so many nail techs. I'm gonna have to practice practice practice though. You're all going to get totally sick of me posting my nails lol, but I totally appreciate your help. Thanks so much.

You'll have to wear a little geek sign so I can find you:). I'll be there competing too.

Latest posts

Back