TPTW ... Do people actually know what a good set set of salon nails should look like?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we should ask all Geeks to send in a pic of a nail that they believe looks natural or 'enhanced'?? Then we'll see how diverse the opinion is:eek:

Thing is though...a french look with a crisp bright white may not look "natural" but it can still look stunning if done with the right shape and with the right application skills ... i don't mind nails that look either "natural" or "enhanced" as long as they are done well.

Now maybe its just because ive had a little training that i expect more from a salon than a clients would normally expect.
But now i would be looking for the technician to suggest extending my nail beds to balance out my nails(as mines are small and dumpy):mad::mad: and offer me the choice of how bright i want my whites ect:):) but from a clients point of view how many of them know all this choice is available :eek::eek:
some places dont even offer you the choice of tips or sculpts which is really disappointing.:cry: Im sure some clients and techs must think i size fits all sort of thing and each set they knock out looks the same:smack:
I soooo hate to see those bright white tips stuck there at a light off angle taking over almost a third of the nail bed yuuuuuck
people pay for thissss ?????? I think its not just down to price but the fact dont know any better, they just see it as more expensive :rolleyes::rolleyes:
my neighbour came back with a set of nails- she is a serious nail biter & they put the white tips on her, absolutly hideous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, there was a leaflet drop in my area last year so I went on the website and was shocked at the nails, I am not perfect but they where so bad I was going to put pics on here, but I thought that wouldn't be a nice thing to do plus she could be a member, but the whites on the nail where halfway down the nail making the fingers look stubby, then some just looked flat and the nail art was child like, I actually felt sorry for the person as she obviously hadn't had the right training, I do think that proper training has a lot to do with it as if you arent shown right or where you are going wrong how do you know.

I do a friend of mine and when finished I always say shoulda done that on this nail or say am not happy with them I know probably shouldn't say it but she is a close friend, she always says she wouldn't know any different, she used to go to the chop shops in the town centre and her poor nails she thought it was normal her nails where yellow, thick and some seperation from the nail bed due to the filling, she cannot believe the condition of her nails now no seperation from the nail bed nice and healthy looking nails. But she didn't know any better until I started to do nails,

I know a girl who goes to the said shop in town and dreads having her nails done as her fingers throb for days after, I tell her having nails done should be relaxing not painfull, but she say's she cant afford me and I dont charge a lot, so this proves to me no matter what you tell some people they just dont listen,

I was asked to do a set of nails this thursday just gone, told the person how much and she said she could get them done for £8 and that I was to expensive, I was paying what I was charge 3 yrs ago, but if people are charging silly prices like this then what the hell are they puting on their nails it makes me shudder to think. I know people buying from ebay and stating this fact on another site and the company don't even tell them they shouldn't, I have tried to tell them Ebay is a no no as they just don't know what they are getting is legit, so I have given up trying to help as they think its ok.

I really think it should be brought into this country that you have to have a licence like in other country's as this then would surely stop the chop shops or people who have had inferior training ect ect. I would welcome it as it then would surely make the person feel better knowing they have worked hard for the licence and can honestly call themselves a Nail proffesional or Technician. Sorry for the essay lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, that OUR idea of a good set of salon nails is sometimes different to what a clients's idea of a good set of nails is. But then my deeply respected teacher once taught me that I need not be too hard on myself because what I see is different to what they see - which of course is absolutely true.

How true this is! I cannot believe that some of the young girls who go to the NSS think that the white tip being straight across with no smile whatsoever is fab! It looks awful. I am hyper critical of my work so much so I haven't yet had a paying client because I don't feel I am good enough and I have been doing it for 14 months. I may or may not take the step to do it as a business but I still want my girls nails to look well done and am always inspecting them!!:eek:

Stupidity I never had tolerance for to begin with. :) I'm just noticing it more and more now.

lol Notice no-one answered "mum" about showing a pic...talk the talk :mad:)

lol Notice no-one answered "mum" about showing a pic...talk the talk :mad:)

well mine wasn't a direct reply to Mum, but did say that there can be nice "natural" looking nails and nice "enhanced" looking nails....I like what i like...as does everyone else....so if i post a pic of a nice "enhanced" nail with bright white french ...will it then be considered not "natural" looking.....???? its all in the eye of the beholder...or the person paying the bill....:)

Can you imagine the amount of money we would lose if we only did the nails that "we" liked....do hair stylists who hate bleached blond hair refuse to do bleach blond hair becouse it doesn't look "natural"..??...like I said before, as long as its done well...i like it.

I know what I think looks nice...I personally don't feel i have to walk the walk to go with my talk the talk...:lol:

Last edited:
Well I am game to show a few ....

I think the word 'natural' is one that is slightly misinterpreted where nails are concerned. Even nails that are enhanced with a French service can look natural as in a natural nail that has had a French manicure.

Natural to me means looks like a real nail and not like something that is stuck on top of someones nail!! Whether it is painted or unpainted. where peeps have to say ... hmmm, are they or aren't they??? :green:

Here are a few of mine that you probably all know by now, but they are all different but all look like real nails not like I've gone and stuck something on the top of them.

Attachments

• Gigi custom blend on nail biter.jpg
    Gigi custom blend on nail biter.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 247
  • gigipopits5.jpg
    gigipopits5.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 238
  • Gigi's solar Nails.jpg
    Gigi's solar Nails.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 235
  • solar_manicure for tutorial.jpg
    solar_manicure for tutorial.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 217
Lovely nails Geeg, as always...I am happy to show my work....My Gallery pics are and have always been in my signature....some look more "natural" than others.

I think so. Before I knew what I know now I was quite happy to have my nails done by a NSS because I didn't know any better and also loved how they turned out, looking back at them now I wouldn't be in the slightest bit happy if I produced them once I trained and practiced. So yeah, people just don't know any better and are happy with what they are given until they have had better. Its like wearing the wrong shoe size for years and then suddenly putting on the right size.

I think to a lot of people, 'long' is all they see and want. I have seen 'straight' smiles, smiles halfway down the nail and so thick you could dig the garden with them.

In my opinion and experience, it is the more mature client who likes a more natural look, they often think my Brisa nails are my own and that is what they want.

Many younger clients want their nails to loolk like their friends (mostly shovels)

No - is the answer to the question!

It's also not just about - how natural they look. It's also about the service they receive.....

How many times have you heard new clients say....

Oooh, my last tech didn't do that :-

Sanitise the hands

Use cuticle remover

Remove non living tissue from the nail plate with curette/chisel/scraper tool

Offer a choice of colours for french (as in natural look free edge powder, soft white, pure white)

Options for tipping or sculpting (Ultimately I decide which would be best for the client)

Suggest opaques for nail biters etc

These are just a few straight forward, normal things I do in my salon.

Usually, the new client has been used to removal of non-living tissue by a 100 grit/e-file or non removal of it at all!
No sanitation.
No choices & recommendations
Painful applications

The list goes on.

I am in my 7th year as a nail tech ans still find this kind of thing infuriating - in fact, as you can now put both your arms out and 'touch' an alleged nail tech these days, I'm not surprised.

Thankfully, when my 'new' client leaves my salon, they are amazed at their nails - at how natural they look & feel (french pure whites or Gigi's free edge mix). I know I have a regular client every time a new client arrives from 'another' salon & leaves with the amazed look on their face.

It's all about educating the end user - which is very hard to do individually.

I wish some of the big fashion/style/gossip magazines would take a look at our industry - from a professional point of view & also from an end user point of view and help people make the right choices by featuring what is right, what can be addictive & beautiful in this world of nails. Instead of only ever focusing on how bad your nail plates can be if you have your nails done!

I have spent £1000's of pounds on my training & I can say, hand on heart, that I know I am the best nail technician in my area ( not including the fantastic Clare - aka Clara Doon, who is 40 miles way )- judging by what comes in through my door from other salons & the stories I have heard - with one exception - a certain young lady 4 miles from me who is turning out some fantastic work (Jo - aka Kittensgotclaws) considering her length of time in the industry.
Why?
Because like me, she is passionate about the industry, passionate about giving the right service/product/look for her clients.

Sadly, there are few passionate people about in my area - I guess this just ends up giving Jo & I a hard time, but again, gives us the opportunity to excel at what we are good at & help to educate the fortunate few that find us.

Yes, that sounds big headed, but, if you knew my area, you'd be in a position to argue.

It's also not just about - how natural they look. It's also about the service they receive.....

Sanitise the hands

Use cuticle remover

Offer a choice of colours for french (as in natural look free edge powder, soft white, pure white)

Options for tipping or sculpting (Ultimately I decide which would be best for the client)

Usually, the new client has been used to removal of non-living tissue by a 100 grit/e-file or non removal of it at all!
No sanitation.
Painful applications

The list goes on.

I am in my 7th year as a nail tech ans still find this kind of thing infuriating - in fact, as you can now put both your arms out and 'touch' an alleged nail tech these days, I'm not surprised.

Thankfully, when my 'new' client leaves my salon, they are amazed at their nails - at how natural they look & feel (french pure whites or Gigi's free edge mix). I know I have a regular client every time a new client arrives from 'another' salon & leaves with the amazed look on their face.

I wish some of the big fashion/style/gossip magazines would take a look at our industry - from a professional point of view & also from an end user point of view and help people make the right choices by featuring what is right, what can be addictive & beautiful in this world of nails. Instead of only ever focusing on how bad your nail plates can be if you have your nails done!

I have spent £1000's of pounds on my training & I can say, hand on heart, that I know I am the best nail technician in my area ( not including the fantastic Clare - aka Clara Doon, who is 40 miles way )- judging by what comes in through my door from other salons & the stories I have heard - with one exception - a certain young lady 4 miles from me who is turning out some fantastic work (Jo - aka Kittensgotclaws) considering her length of time in the industry.
Why?
Because like me, she is passionate about the industry, passionate about giving the right service/product/look for her clients.

Sadly, there are few passionate people about in my area - I guess this just ends up giving Jo & I a hard time, but again, gives us the opportunity to excel at what we are good at & help to educate the fortunate few that find us.

Yes, that sounds big headed, but, if you knew my area, you'd be in a position to argue.

Totally agree with Bev and I'm not even a working tech, although I have my trusty little band of practice models and requests are growing to join their ranks. One in particular says she's amazed at the service I provide, the preparation, the choice and the end result, having visited a few different local salons on a random basis over the past few years.

Thinking about this and in my own limited experience of having my nails done in salons a few times, I can only come to the conclusion that some of them simply haven't been trained properly in the first place or have become complacent and anxious to whizz you through the 'Treatment' in the quickest time possible, profit margins obviously being uppermost in their minds?

Apart from all this, I really don't think they see nails the way we do. I sometimes wonder what they 'Do' see?!? :lol:

Sanitise the hands

Use cuticle remover

No sanitation.
Painful applications

The list goes on.

Why?

Awww thankyou for the huge complement hun, i totally agree with what Bev has said here, some of the things i see are amazing, i even had a lady in who's previous tech filed right through her natural nail and she still went back!!:eek: I've seen nails that are completely flat, or they look like shovels, i've seen nails that haven't been refined so the sidewalls are all lumpy and bumpy. I just wish that instead of the media just shining the spotlight on all the bad techs, that they might consider doing a piece on all the good techs, show the public what they should be looking for and show them that not all nail techs are bad that most of us have pride in our work, we strive to make the beauty industry great, as it should be.:hug:

I always put so much effort into my nails, most are forever french, soft square, but every so often I hear of a client who has went to the local nss and doesnt notice the diff. A lot of people prefer white tips and clear, but what annoys me is if they dont notice the difference. TBH square french nails are going out of fashion,loads of celebsare going almond or stilleto, and colours or minx are everywhere! But the clients in my town prefer white tips halfway down the nail.....:rolleyes:

interesting question Geeg... and again, very good choice of word, you didn't write *technician* or *client* but people...

I'd join the "no" boat.
I think and hope I know what a good set should look like. it's what Id call salon nails, and not what I'd wear as it is way too short for me.
recently I was shopping in town and a lot of ppl asked me if my nails were l&p because they had to be, gel is just so ugly.
so I decided to wear l&p on my nails as I can go extreme in nail art, and stick to gel for salon nails, and ppl often won't believe it's gel.
ppl will also ask me to do flare nails, sad smiles, etc. I feel it's my job to explain them what a good set has to be. and I base it on fact (nail architecture, building strength, etc) so that I imagine they can also spread the word... not for me to have more clients, but to somehow tell their friends that where they go it's not just "another beauty service" but something I do that they have to pay attention to...

btw, very beautifully perfect (if so exists) set of nails Gigi.

Ohhh I could ramble on this one.
To be fair, my nails aren't nearly as lovely as Geeg's.

Here are some... but note: all of my clients are art-addicts... so I haven't any "natural frenchs' to share.

The black glitter on the biter are acrylic.

I've had soooooooooo many clients go "what's that" in reference to nail forms. NONE of them have ever seen nails sculpted.
They all expect me to e-file their nail plate, and are surprised when I use cuticle eliminator with a cuticle pusher/scraper.
Recently, I had a mother-daughter duo leave in utter amazement that their nails don't hurt or burn that neither of them had a single cut on their fingers.
etc etc etc.

Oh, it was the surprise on one lady's face when I put tools into my tray for disinfecting INCLUDING the e-file bits. She arrived early and I was cleaning up from the client before her. Putting the dirty files in their bin for sanitizing and disinfecting, the implements in the tray and then I cleaned the table-top and even wiped the inside of the UV lamp with a paper-towel and disinfectant spray. I put the dirty cotton towels in a basket under my table and got clean ones from the shelf. She was F L A B B E R G A S T E D.:eek:
Then she watched me take files & nail brush & e-file bits from the other bin (where all the ones that are ALREADY DISINFECTED are kept)

She asked me....... "what's wrong with the other ones?":eek:

Attachments

• 14766_100157310012910_100000559231990_1698_3714721_n.jpg
    14766_100157310012910_100000559231990_1698_3714721_n.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 14766_100157433346231_100000559231990_1735_4841917_n.jpg
    14766_100157433346231_100000559231990_1735_4841917_n.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,264
  • 14766_100731676622140_100000559231990_18284_5434846_n.jpg
    14766_100731676622140_100000559231990_18284_5434846_n.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 588
  • 14766_100157200012921_100000559231990_1667_2272075_n.jpg
    14766_100157200012921_100000559231990_1667_2272075_n.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 303
WOW this topic NEVER cesses to amaze me!!!
I used to work soley from home but now do a few days in a hair salon and just cant believe what people will actually pay for and accept!
I dont want to sound bigheaded OR unproffessional and say what crappola nails people have but it is hard work trying to get people to realise they can have lovely nails & most importantly look after their natural nails in the process :eek:
I think my motto is work hard ,produce good nails, be patient and let those who love nice nails spread the word & advertise for me ( all my work seems to be word of mouth )
Is is a bit galling though when the tills are filling up in the NSS and people keep going back there for more!
Ah well - funnny old world I suppose
Jayneym xx:hug:

Sadly, not only does the average client not know what a great nail looks like, the media further complicates things. I nearly choke sometimes at the nails I see in magazines and on TV.:irked:

Latest posts

Back