Wedding cancelled whole booking for July would you give money back????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do I know that that booking is going to get filled I on my brochure any 50% booking taken from the bride to secure that date coz lets be honest if your as busy as you say you are then you would need to secure their booking wouldn't you in order to avoid dissapointment.

I think I know what your asking, it's hard to understand though.

I sometimes take a deposit if it is a client I have never seen before. But that would be refunded if they cancelled with 24 hours notice. Because, yes, as already stated, I would be able to fill the gap. If it were an all day booking, i would ask for a bit more notice, maybe a week, as i know if they cancelled with a week to go, the day would fill back up again.

I just don't see why your clients should suffer, because your not busy?! Now i don't mean for that to sound harsh, and yes, we are all running a business etc etc, but it is not their fault that you cant fill their slot back up with however many months notice. Sometimes in business you just have to cut your losses! Business is a risk.

You have a policy, and good on you for sticking to it. But maybe that is the reason you will struggle to fill the gap...? I for one wouldn't book an appointment knowing I was paying 50% wether i had the treatment or not.

I think I know what your asking, it's hard to understand though.

I sometimes take a deposit if it is a client I have never seen before. But that would be refunded if they cancelled with 24 hours notice. Because, yes, as already stated, I would be able to fill the gap. If it were an all day booking, i would ask for a bit more notice, maybe a week, as i know if they cancelled with a week to go, the day would fill back up again.

I just don't see why your clients should suffer, because your not busy?! Now i don't mean for that to sound harsh, and yes, we are all running a business etc etc, but it is not their fault that you cant fill their slot back up with however many months notice. Sometimes in business you just have to cut your losses! Business is a risk.

You have a policy, and good on you for sticking to it. But maybe that is the reason you will struggle to fill the gap...? I for one wouldn't book an appointment knowing I was paying 50% wether i had the treatment or not.

I for one would want to know that that booking was secure especially for my wedding coz it sounds to me like you would fill that booking soooo easily then you wouldn't really care that it was her special day and yes to take a deposit will secure that booking I know that deposit sare taken in most places now and are more ofetn than not non refundable.

I'm glad for you that you are sooo busy who said I'd struggle to fill the gap :irked:but I book a bride out for the day and don't rush off to other clients the same day so yes i want a deposit coz if she then cancels I have lost out you talk about business being a risk I KNOW THAT but I have learnt the hard way and I never said I wasn't busy but you seem to be very keen on telling us all how busy you are!!!!!! you know what they say.........

Kate:mad:

who said I'd struggle to fill the gap :irked:

I am quoting you to answer your own question... i am not just jumping to assumptions. I am going on what you have said.

Hi,

Might I add to this that I'm glad that you have such a business that you have last minute bookings, you are very lucky some of us aren't so....

Aren't you the lucky one;) some of us aren't that lucky!

Kate

I wouldn't book a bride out for a whole day, because they wouldnt want to be with me the whole day, they would have a wedding to get to, being the bride and all!!

I wont post on this thread anymore, as i can see you are getting a bit heated.
Good luck in your business. I am sure you will make many brides very happy.

If she asks for it only give her the 50% as you could have turned clients away for that date. Though I would feel bad not giving her half of what she paid back. I am not sure I would wait for her to ask.

Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

She gave you enough time to fill the gap so I would give her the money back but charger for trial.
Anca

Last edited:
If it is a totally seperate issue then I would keep money for trial and 50% deposit as agreed. Yes she has given you plenty of notice in terms if we talking about a small treatment in the salon (im not sure if your salon/mobile based) but with wedding make up brides book these months in advance so although she has has given you notice it would more than likely be to late to fill the slot with another wedding make up.

I have wedding make ups booked up to a year in advance and I charge a cancellation fee up to 3 months before the day. I know that some professional make up artists stipulate around six months from what I have seen on websites.
Bombini worded it very well. Occasions like weddings can be difficult to re book as they are often booked well in advance.Also some bridal services include, more than just one service eg. the therapist offers hair-ups, make-up and nails and may not necessarily be offering a service to the bride only, but the bridesmaids and mother of bride. Therefore a cancellation even 2 months before the wedding can leave the therapist out of pocket if she has booked her time out for the bride and this time can not be refilled.More often than not, a whole day is booked out, not because the therapist just wants to hang around the bride all day, but because she has to arrive early to cater for the entire bridal party. Sometimes this may involve the help of another colleague who has also had to book out her day.Personally for me, I look at the professionalism, standard and level of service that I am offering to the bride on what is one of the most special days in her life. The 50% booking fee secures that level of service for that special day and the bride-to-be is fully aware of this when she signs the contract for the non refundable deposit.Everyone has their own opinions and ways of approaching business. The thread starter asked for advice and I'm sure has dealt with the situation now, but this was mine.

Bombini worded it very well. Occasions like weddings can be difficult to re book as they are often booked well in advance.Also some bridal services include, more than just one service eg. the therapist offers hair-ups, make-up and nails and may not necessarily be offering a service to the bride only, but the bridesmaids and mother of bride. Therefore a cancellation even 2 months before the wedding can leave the therapist out of pocket if she has booked her time out for the bride and this time can not be refilled.More often than not, a whole day is booked out, not because the therapist just wants to hang around the bride all day, but because she has to arrive early to cater for the entire bridal party. Sometimes this may involve the help of another colleague who has also had to book out her day.Personally for me, I look at the professionalism, standard and level of service that I am offering to the bride on what is one of the most special days in her life. The 50% booking fee secures that level of service for that special day and the bride-to-be is fully aware of this when she signs the contract for the non refundable deposit.Everyone has their own opinions and ways of approaching business. The thread starter asked for advice and I'm sure has dealt with the situation now, but this was mine.

Hi,

I was the thread starter:) and yes I have dealt with th esituation now and paid the bride back for 50% of what she had paid me so I only kept my 50% as agreed with her at the consultation, I totally agree with everything you have said coz yes I was providing her with to what i think a first class service and yes with nails etc and then on the day her make-up my mum was doing her hair so yes have to give her her deserved time I mean how many times do we get married and I want to try and make it as stress free for th ebride as I can and in addition to this my mum does the hair which can work very well :) sometimes :eek: so yes all the work has to be prepared for which I put my heart and soul into for her day!!

Thanks for your support with this Mrs C:):hug:
Kate xx:hug:

Isn't that what a deposit is, though? A sum of money given in order to secure goods or services . . . . and to show good faith. (To show that you're serious.)

If i went and put a deposit on a bike or a cooker or something, doesn't it show I've agreed to buy it? The deposit means they hold it for me until such time as I can collect it and pay the rest . . . . if I change my mind, I don't think I could expect it back really. Maybe that's just my way of thinking. I couldn't say to the shopkeeper "well, lots of people come to your shop, you're probably going to be able to sell it again". I'd be going back on my agreement.

Otherwise, where's the sense in a deposit at all, really? :)

I am glad this worked out well in the end. I think you handled it well! Its tough making the right decision.

I would have done the same as you and kept 50% as it was a deposit. It dosnt matter whether your a busy salon that can fill up that day or not.

I think the moral of it is that brides book services anywhere up to 1 year in advance. If you book one bride in on a day, then you can really only do one bride that day, therefore if you had other brides calling up to request a date already booked then you would turn them away! Therefore you would lose out! July is a busy month for weddings, and weddings are the most profitable in terms of block bookings. With only two months really to fill that spot I think you would struggle getting another bride in on the day!

We all run our business' differently and clients will always pick and choose the salon that suits them. The terms were spelt out to worthits clients and she pulled out worthit wasnt underhand about anything she did.

Also glad you managed to get feedback from the client that it was nothing personal. I hate feeling like I have done something wrong!!

Kate

thats because in that industry they are less likely to get a last minute booking. wheras in ours it is more likely to be able to be filled. people plan events months and months even years ahead. who plans beauty treatments that far?! Thats what im saying, if i had a cancellation 2 months before the date, It would fill back up again. Wheas if it was the day before or on the day, less likely to.
true you can but the you have in most cases bought special items for this bride and done a mock up for the bride

do you usually charge for a trial on its own? if so definately charge for that and then maybe 20% cancellation fee for the remainder of the treatments x

Charging a 50% non-refundable deposit I think is a bit greedy and if I was a client it would put me off straight away.
I also think one of the reasons why people have a trial is to decide if they like your make up application and feel confortable and happy with the new look.
Someone mentioned about the venue/catering but I dont think this is the same as I am sure the brides are able to see the venue first without any obligation.
Anca

Last edited:
Just a story about deposits...

Many moons ago i booked to have nails done in a nice salon in town....the lady asked for a £5 deposit....which i was happy to leave. A few days later for one reason or another i had to cancel...it was 2 days before the apt. When i rang I was more than happy to have lost the deposit but she said..."should you wish to book another apt we will deduct the £5 from the bill"......i thought that was more than reasonable.

Charging a 50% non-refundable deposit I think is a bit greedy and if I was a client it would put me off straight away.
I also think one of the reasons why people have a trial is to decide if they like your make up application and feel confortable and happy with the new look.
Someone mentioned about the venue/catering but I dont think this is the same as I am sure the brides are able to see the venue first without any obligation.
Anca

Hi Anca,

I don't think it's a bit greedy atall coz in the consultation I explain if they want to go ahead and book then they will have to pay a 50% deposit to secure their booking, this I think is very fair:rolleyes: coz in this industry I find women very fickle and have had a bride cancel on the same week as her wedding??? where does that leave me???:cry: so now in order to secure what they want, usually their mother, bridesmaids, nails etc can be a big booking just to not take a deposit, in my opinion is not greedy atall just business minded coz I give the bride a 100% of my service I think that is worth securing and as I explained if you were reading all the threads:eek: that I dealt with the situation refunding over and above what the bride first gave me as she chose to pay me for the WHOLE booking something I didn't ask for so I refunded her this and more as my conscience wouldn't allow me to keep the money:irked: I don't just take a deposit and then not care what happens after that which is the case for sooo many storys I have heard, I am not in the habit if keeping peoples money under faulse pretences I am just securing what services they want with me I don't think that's being GREEDY atall!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Thanks

Kate

2 year ago i had the same problem i said it was a £50 non refundable deposit and when i did the trial she paid me the rest so i kept the £50 and charged her for the trial then gave her what was left, this client then s eked legal advise and i was correct in what i had done so you should aether keep the 50% deposit and refund the rest or if you feel better you can keep the charge you would make for the trial and refund the rest i don't agree with others how have said keep it all this is so wrong and bad for every ones business.

Hi Anca,

I don't think it's a bit greedy atall coz in the consultation I explain if they want to go ahead and book then they will have to pay a 50% deposit to secure their booking, this I think is very fair:rolleyes: coz in this industry I find women very fickle and have had a bride cancel on the same week as her wedding??? where does that leave me???:cry: so now in order to secure what they want, usually their mother, bridesmaids, nails etc can be a big booking just to not take a deposit, in my opinion is not greedy atall just business minded coz I give the bride a 100% of my service I think that is worth securing and as I explained if you were reading all the threads:eek: that I dealt with the situation refunding over and above what the bride first gave me as she chose to pay me for the WHOLE booking something I didn't ask for so I refunded her this and more as my conscience wouldn't allow me to keep the money:irked: I don't just take a deposit and then not care what happens after that which is the case for sooo many storys I have heard, I am not in the habit if keeping peoples money under faulse pretences I am just securing what services they want with me I don't think that's being GREEDY atall!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Thanks

Kate

Hi Kate,
Sorry didnt want to sounds harsh. I too charge a non-refundable deposit but if they let me know just a few days after the trial (like in your case) that they dont want to go ahead I would not charge.
I guest we all have different ways of dealing with the situation and I was just honest and I didnt want to upset you.
Anca

thats because in that industry they are less likely to get a last minute booking. wheras in ours it is more likely to be able to be filled. people plan events months and months even years ahead. who plans beauty treatments that far?! Thats what im saying, if i had a cancellation 2 months before the date, It would fill back up again. Wheas if it was the day before or on the day, less likely to.
i don't agree totally I'm booked through August on my wedding services on nails and makeup but i do agree that she should honor the original agreement and keep the the deposit but do find out why she cancelled

Latest posts

Back