Wedding cancelled whole booking for July would you give money back????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren't you the lucky one;) some of us aren't that lucky!

Kate

To get to this stage you need to build your reputation :hug: I would recommend you give the money back. You have plenty of time to refill that slot.

perhaps the woman in question might have other things on her mind like. the devastation of her big day being cancelled. put yourself in her situation, i don't suppose she's thinking of her bookings. i know when my daughter and her fiance parted, the last thing on her mind,My other daughter and i had to take things over and cancel everything, so dreadfully sad for her, my brother in law took her beautiful wedding dress back to the shop ,we were refunded half of what we paid for the dress, better then nothing. but just imagine how that poor girl might be feeling.just imagine your dream dress your dream wedding cancelled , your relationship over, your home lost, your whole life changed, so have a thought for the poor girl, charge her for what she had, not what she hasn't had. that will be very much appreciated i'm sure, and good practice, but that's what i think, thg:sad:

Hi

She wasn't cancelling her wedding day just my services I wish her all the best for the future which I have told her in my letter to her

Thanks

Kate xx

Firstly I would check that she was happy with the trial make up, have you discussed this with her ? If she wasn't happy with the result then that may be why she has cancelled ?

If it is to do with the trial make up then establish what the problems were, didn't like colours? make up to heavy/light? etc etc and why she didn't discuss this with you at the trial. If it can't be resolved I would just charge her for the trial as this was your time and then refund everything (including deposit)

If it is a totally seperate issue then I would keep money for trial and 50% deposit as agreed. Yes she has given you plenty of notice in terms if we talking about a small treatment in the salon (im not sure if your salon/mobile based) but with wedding make up brides book these months in advance so although she has has given you notice it would more than likely be to late to fill the slot with another wedding make up.

I have wedding make ups booked up to a year in advance and I charge a cancellation fee up to 3 months before the day. I know that some professional make up artists stipulate around six months from what I have seen on websites.

I would give her a call today and sort it out. She probably text you as its less confrontational than a phone call, maybe she felt a bit embarrassed.

Thanks everyone for your input on this thread I am going to refund her most of the booking (keeping the 50% deposit as agreed) coz yes I have compassion for her and I know how tight money can be when booking a wedding so I do have a heart it's not all about the money sometimes it was her choice to pay me all the money upfront for the whole booking and then cancelled the next day for whatever reason I'm not sure as you all say don't push it is it:)

Thanks everyone for your help I feel much better about it now this site is fab!

Thanks again

Kate xx

I think you are doing the right thing. Did she tell you why she was canceling though?

Sounds like you have given this matter loads of thought, worthit, and I feel that you are doing the right thing. If she was aware at the time that 50% of the deposit was non-returnable, then she will only be expecting 50% back anyway. The 50% you keep will cover the cost of the trial (more than that, probably!) so you should both be happy.

Was she properly aware at the time that 50% of what she paid was non-returnable or was it written in small print somewhere?

I think the main thing here is to be fair and keep her happy. Some customer service training I had a long time ago stated that if someone loves what you've done, they'll tell two or three people . . . . if they get annoyed and feel they've been "diddled" they'll tell ten people or more. Heavens, who needs that???

You sound like a very fair person to me, and I'm sure that whatever you decide will be the right thing. :hug::hug:

PS I've had a little run of cancellations lately, some VERY last minute, some just not showing up grrrrrrrr . . . but you have to isolate each case and not get cross at the overall situation. (I know it's hard lol)

Sounds like you have given this matter loads of thought, worthit, and I feel that you are doing the right thing. If she was aware at the time that 50% of the deposit was non-returnable, then she will only be expecting 50% back anyway. The 50% you keep will cover the cost of the trial (more than that, probably!) so you should both be happy.

Was she properly aware at the time that 50% of what she paid was non-returnable or was it written in small print somewhere?

I think the main thing here is to be fair and keep her happy. Some customer service training I had a long time ago stated that if someone loves what you've done, they'll tell two or three people . . . . if they get annoyed and feel they've been "diddled" they'll tell ten people or more. Heavens, who needs that???

You sound like a very fair person to me, and I'm sure that whatever you decide will be the right thing. :hug::hug:

PS I've had a little run of cancellations lately, some VERY last minute, some just not showing up grrrrrrrr . . . but you have to isolate each case and not get cross at the overall situation. (I know it's hard lol)

Hya,

Thanks sooooo much for your kind words I do appreciate it yes I am a fair person and couldn't live with myself if I kept the whole lot it's just not me and yes I did explain to her about the 50% deposit and it's all over my brochure I am refunding her 50% and a bit more so I feel better about that:)

Thanks your very kind canacellations are hard to deal with and I do ponder as to the reasons why etc etc and get myself in a right tizz I want my biz to work and I think that I provide a good service but gotta start doing water off a ducks back thing not easy for me atall :sad:

Thanks again :hug:

Kate xx

Hya,

Thanks sooooo much for your kind words I do appreciate it yes I am a fair person and couldn't live with myself if I kept the whole lot it's just not me and yes I did explain to her about the 50% deposit and it's all over my brochure I am refunding her 50% and a bit more so I feel better about that:)

Thanks your very kind canacellations are hard to deal with and I do ponder as to the reasons why etc etc and get myself in a right tizz I want my biz to work and I think that I provide a good service but gotta start doing water off a ducks back thing not easy for me atall :sad:

Thanks again :hug:

Kate xx

You will look back at these situations in a year or two and laugh at the tizz you got in lol! I'm not making light of it hun, please don't think that, but as you get busier and more and more people are returning and obviously happy with you, your confidence will soar and you'll view everything differently. :hug:

I think you are doing the right thing. Did she tell you why she was canceling though?

Thanks for that no she didn't say why she was cancelling I just assumed it was coz she didn't like what my mum did to her hair hence she cancelled the whole thing which effects me:sad: but I can't make her book with me can I I will just give her her money back and learn from it I have to re-think whether I have my mum doing the hair as this is not the first time this has happened:sad: but then that is dodgy ground :rolleyes: family and all that!!

Thanks

Kate x

You will look back at these situations in a year or two and laugh at the tizz you got in lol! I'm not making light of it hun, please don't think that, but as you get busier and more and more people are returning and obviously happy with you, your confidence will soar and you'll view everything differently. :hug:

Hi

Arrrrrrr thanks for that I agree I know your not making light of it you sound a lovely person much like myself:lol::lol: my confidence is very low at the moment and I just hope I can prove to people now to keep coming to me how i don't know:sad: but I will get there I'm no quitter I just fell like quitting at the moment but I won't!!

Kate xx

It would be an idea to find out why she has cancelled, so you can take it on board. I hate criticism but we all learn from it so in a way it may be good.

Hope it all goes well.

PS i am sure its nothing you have done.

It would be an idea to find out why she has cancelled, so you can take it on board. I hate criticism but we all learn from it so in a way it may be good.

Hope it all goes well.

PS i am sure its nothing you have done.

Thanks for that your very kind

Kate xx

Thanks for that no she didn't say why she was cancelling I just assumed it was coz she didn't like what my mum did to her hair hence she cancelled the whole thing which effects me:sad: but I can't make her book with me can I I will just give her her money back and learn from it I have to re-think whether I have my mum doing the hair as this is not the first time this has happened:sad: but then that is dodgy ground :rolleyes: family and all that!!

Thanks

Kate x

This kind of situation can be hard but I would try and find out for definite if I was you. The feedback would help you in the long run.

Hi, I think you should stand by your verbal/written agreement. Would you lose her as a customer if you kept all the money. Keep that money that you agreed on, and return the rest with a "Thinking of you" card.

Hi, I think you should stand by your verbal/written agreement. Would you lose her as a customer if you kept all the money. Keep that money that you agreed on, and return the rest with a "Thinking of you" card.

Loving the idea of card thanks for that I will definatley do that

Kate :hug::hug:

Hi hun,just to add,when you return the cash why not inculde a feedback form and self adressed stamped envelope :idea:

Hi hun,just to add,when you return the cash why not inculde a feedback form and self adressed stamped envelope :idea:

fab idea

No, not directed at you Tracey.

I just think its a bit wrong to take money off someone for services they havn't used. Especially when they have respected the fact your running a business and not left it to the last minute to cancel.

End of the day, its just another appointment.
There was a thread about the cost of things going up for weddings.

But regardless of what the appointment is, i wouldnt take a non refundable deposit. As i just feel its a bit immoral. I know some businesses in other indistries do, i would guess that that is when they have to buy in materials to do a job.

I cant believe people would give you a non refundable deposit anyway!! I wouldn't! I dont object to leaving a deposit, but providing i cancel with decent notice then i would expect it back.

I dunno quite where i'm going with this, but IMO its just wrong to take a non refundable deposit.
im sorry but if you book a hall or catering services and cancel all portions is refundable up to 6 month except the deposit and the closer you get to the less and less is refundable you keep the deposit + 20 % at this point

im sorry but if you book a hall or catering services and cancel all portions is refundable up to 6 month except the deposit and the closer you get to the less and less is refundable you keep the deposit + 20 % at this point

thats because in that industry they are less likely to get a last minute booking. wheras in ours it is more likely to be able to be filled. people plan events months and months even years ahead. who plans beauty treatments that far?! Thats what im saying, if i had a cancellation 2 months before the date, It would fill back up again. Wheas if it was the day before or on the day, less likely to.

thats because in that industry they are less likely to get a last minute booking. wheras in ours it is more likely to be able to be filled. people plan events months and months even years ahead. who plans beauty treatments that far?! Thats what im saying, if i had a cancellation 2 months before the date, It would fill back up again. Wheas if it was the day before or on the day, less likely to.

Hi,

Might I add to this that I'm glad that you have such a business that you have last minute bookings, you are very lucky some of us aren't so.... when you say that people don't plan beauty treatments that far ahead:confused: actually they do especilaly with weddings perhaps this is not the case in your busines??:irked: how do I know that that booking is going to get filled I on my brochure any 50% booking taken from the bride to secure that date coz lets be honest if your as busy as you say you are then you would need to secure their booking wouldn't you in order to avoid dissapointment.

To follow up this thread I did infact give her my bride over and above her money back but keeping what we had agreed in the first place which was the 50% and I included a card saying that I hoped she enjoyed her wedding day etc etc and she text me saying thank you and that it was nothing to do with me that she cancelled which was a relief as that was what worried me I was happy and so was my client

Thanks everyone for your kind words and your threads :)

Kate x

Latest posts

Back