Wedding cancelled whole booking for July would you give money back????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthit

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had a booking for a wedding make-up she was having nails with me aswell this was for July the 12th she had her trial for make-up the other night, my mum does the hair so she came too but she's just text me today and she wants to cancel the whole lot:cry: she's paid me all of the payment up front coz she wanted it out the way when I only asked for 50% but she did insist:rolleyes: now I don't know what to refund do i take my 50% and refund her the rest?? heeeeelp please I don't know what to do:hug:

Thanks in advance

Kate xxx

Has she asked you for a refund? If she doesn't ask, and you don't feel too guilty, I wouldn't offer it. If she does ask, I think you're within your rights to keep 50%, but it does depend on what you have on your price lists, and what you've agreed between the two of you. After all, she's the one who's messed you around, and I think you should be compensated in some way! (Having said that, it's easy for me to sit here and say that, but in reality it's a little more difficult...but that's what I'd probably do!)

Has she asked you for a refund? If she doesn't ask, and you don't feel too guilty, I wouldn't offer it. If she does ask, I think you're within your rights to keep 50%, but it does depend on what you have on your price lists, and what you've agreed between the two of you. After all, she's the one who's messed you around, and I think you should be compensated in some way! (Having said that, it's easy for me to sit here and say that, but in reality it's a little more difficult...but that's what I'd probably do!)

Hi,

I said that 50% on my pricelists and letter sent out to her at the time was not refundable, but she paid me £80 not full 50% I said it was ok at the time but following that on her trial she just gave me the rest of money in other words all of the booking, but now she has cancelled I don't wanna keep all the money but feel as you say I deserve something for messing me about I thought just giving her what she just gave me back:confused: then I'm thinking that I should take something as a fee for cancelling? do you think I should though even though the weddings in July so plenty of notice really

Heeeeeelp please:)

Kate xx

So on your literature you say 50% is not refundable...I would still say that unless she asks, you give her nothing!! And if she does ask, you're only obliged to give her 50% back.
Out of interest, did she say why she's cancelled?

You need to keep some of the money as you have done the wedding trial, that was your time and you are not running a charity. I would probably wait and see if she asks, but again the decision if hard

So on your literature you say 50% is not refundable...I would still say that unless she asks, you give her nothing!! And if she does ask, you're only obliged to give her 50% back.
Out of interest, did she say why she's cancelled?

She did ask me if she gets the deposit back and I said no as I had told her on an earlier date so out of the money she has given me for rest of booking £125 in reality I owe her £100 of that coz she payed me all of the booking and she didn't really need to:confused: I'm just wondering whether to take a cancellation fee out of this as deposit is already payed hope I'm making sense, and no she didn't say why she was cancelling:rolleyes:

Kate xxx

If I told my client that 50% was non refundable, then I'd keep 50% and refund the rest. I suppose it depends on your morals doesn't it?
Claire x

I personally wouldn't keep it all, as as she has given plenty of notice. However, I would make a charge for the make up trial. The problem with keeping it, is that it won't do your reputation any good :hug:

The fact that she sent a text tells me alot. For a start she hasnt bothered to contact you via telephone call? So therefore you havent found out WHY

I personally would not ring her up, she texted YOU, I would NOT ring and ask to return any of the revenue.

You never know, she may have had a tiff with the intended and it all may be hunky doreyely back on ....:lol:

I may be being a bit blunt here, but you are running a buisness :hug:

I would refund 50% and the other 50% than cover's your trial and also if that's what you agreed in the beginning stick to it, hopefully you both come out happy about the situation. Carole xx

Oh my god, I didn't even register that she'd text you! No, definitely don't bother making contact yourself!! If she can't even pick up the phone, she's really not worth it in my opinion. She's paid you the whole whack by her own choice, so she can't say you forced her to...and I honestly can't believe she's going to call you and demand a refund. She's obviously not that bothered...more money than sense?!!! :rolleyes:

I would refund 50% and the other 50% than cover's your trial and also if that's what you agreed in the beginning stick to it, hopefully you both come out happy about the situation. Carole xx

Hya,

Yeah I think this is what I will do I just can't keep it all when in reality she has payed it all up front I have no right to keep it all :confused: I was gonna take a cancellation fee but I'm having doubts about that too now oooooh I dunno:rolleyes: I'm too much of a softy you can bet your bottom dollar that if I did this that there would be some clause that enabled them to keep all the money but i think I do have morals and I can't rest keeping it all

Thanks

Kate xx

The fact that she sent a text tells me alot. For a start she hasnt bothered to contact you via telephone call? So therefore you havent found out WHY

I personally would not ring her up, she texted YOU, I would NOT ring and ask to return any of the revenue.

You never know, she may have had a tiff with the intended and it all may be hunky doreyely back on ....:lol:

I may be being a bit blunt here, but you are running a buisness :hug:

She did ring me the first time I must admit that I didn't ask her then coz she was only canceling the hair (my mums department) she then text me to say she wanted to cancel make-up (no reason) then today she text me to say she wanted to cancel nails that she also had booked with me but I still feel I can't keep all her money but do feel I want to charge her cancellation fee just don't know how much :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments

Kate xxx

I reckon keep the non-refundable deposit, take a bit for the trial and give her the rest back. And I would give it back regardeless of whether she asks cos if you get bad service (not that I'm saying it is but if she is feeling resenful for any reason) she will tell 10 ppl, if you get good service you tell two! A bad reputation is much easier to get than a good one. That is my opinion but ignore it if you like I won't be offended! Lol Lx:lol:

Personally, i think its totally wrong to keep anything other than what she owes for the trial.

She has been decent and given plenty of notice, so you can still get something else booked in. So you should also be decent and give her her money back. Why should you get to keep it?! As long as your paid for the trial you did, then thats all she owes you.

I would only ever charge for a cancellation if its within 24 hours of the appointment.

Right, basically you keep the non-refundable deposit, and the money for the make up trial and return the rest.

I dont think you can charge a cancellation fee, the wedding isnt until July, so it is plenty of notice really!

xxx:hug:

Okay if she had cancelled the day before then yes I agree stick with your policy. However we are talking over 2 months away, so although very disappointing you do have plenty of time to refill that slot. So just charge her for the work done, and if you feel you should then also the deposit ... after all that is what a deposit is for and if you have a policy on your pricelist then you are perfectly entitled to stick to it. Personally I would just say that as a gesture of goodwill I will refund the deposit but charge for the work done. It will do wonders for your reputation.

We should also not jump to conclusions why a client has cancelled. Maybe the wedding is off, maybe she has been made redundant and doesn't have the money and is too upset to call and only sent a text, maybe a friend has offered to do it for free as a wedding gift? Who knows? It really isn't any of our business and we should just act professionally. There are too many posts on this site at the moment where people have a dig at the client and make us look very bad as therapists. Just accept the cancellation and move on.

Right, basically you keep the non-refundable deposit, and the money for the make up trial and return the rest.

I dont think you can charge a cancellation fee, the wedding isnt until July, so it is plenty of notice really!

xxx:hug:

Yeah thanks this is what I'm going to do I think

Thanks

Kate xx:hug:

Personally, i think its totally wrong to keep anything other than what she owes for the trial.

She has been decent and given plenty of notice, so you can still get something else booked in. So you should also be decent and give her her money back. Why should you get to keep it?! As long as your paid for the trial you did, then thats all she owes you.

I would only ever charge for a cancellation if its within 24 hours of the appointment.

I didn't say I was keeping it I was asking for advive as to what to do as her 50% deposit was £102.50 and she gave me £80 but she gave me all the money up front that I don't wanna keep I'll never sleep at night I take 50% of the whole booking from brides that bit is non refundable but I've never had anyone pay me it all up front before so I was just wondering I think I'm doing the decent thing I'm not going to keep the money I just couldn't!!!!:eek:

Kate

Okay if she had cancelled the day before then yes I agree stick with your policy. However we are talking over 2 months away, so although very disappointing you do have plenty of time to refill that slot. So just charge her for the work done, and if you feel you should then also the deposit ... after all that is what a deposit is for and if you have a policy on your pricelist then you are perfectly entitled to stick to it. Personally I would just say that as a gesture of goodwill I will refund the deposit but charge for the work done. It will do wonders for your reputation.

We should also not jump to conclusions why a client has cancelled. Maybe the wedding is off, maybe she has been made redundant and doesn't have the money and is too upset to call and only sent a text, maybe a friend has offered to do it for free as a wedding gift? Who knows? It really isn't any of our business and we should just act professionally. There are too many posts on this site at the moment where people have a dig at the client and make us look very bad as therapists. Just accept the cancellation and move on.

Yeah I am just gonna keep the 50% deposit as agreed with client and giving the rest back I just couldn't live with myself and keep it I did'nt push for a reason from the client as you say just move on hard when you've put your heart and sole into the trial though:irked:

Thanks for the advice

Kate xx

Latest posts

Back