What do you think about Men in Salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you could lose some custom but then again you could also gain some, its surpriseing women arnt half as shy as they used to be and some may even prefer to have a service(of the professional kind) conducted by a man, good luck i hope all goes well for both:hug: p.s you could try to introduce the world of beauty treatments to all your muscle bound mates, its not just for us women:wink2: .

I think in all honesty you have other staff in your salon,presumably female staff as well.Therefore when the client books her/his appointment as long as you say that it will be a male/female member of staff carrying out the treatment, then I cant see it being a problem.I think the majority of clients will be absolutely fine with whoever they have as long as they carry out a good treatment and act professional.:hug: Good luck.

It would not bother me in the slightest getting waxed or sprayed by a male therapist, I think its great that more and more males are wanting to go into a beauty career and should be encouraged, as long as you have female staff avalible for anyone who isnt comfy with a male doing the treatment then there shouldnt be a problem. My hubby is a part time massage therapist and he has loads of female clients, they are not phased at all by it.

The other side is that you will also get more male clients, because a lot of men prob feel uncomfotable being treated in a salon full of woman.:)

I have sprayed 100's ladies per day at shows we have done throughout Europe and have experianced a completly open atitude..maybe at first the ladies are a little aprehensive but with simple communication this passes quickly and in fact I do beleive that females generally quiet enjoy the experiance...especially the older ladies who have a good crack during the process...
Maybe in a more closed salon treatment room enviroment I can see that some females may well have a problem with a male ...each to their own I guess but I do think its very much down to the personality of the individual concerned in making the customer feeling at ease etc...
I do think that there should be many more males involved in the salon end of the industory....mind you the productivity rate may well reduce as I am told time and time again "a man can only cope with doing one singular job at a time "whereas you ladies are far more versatile at coping with dual functions :)

I come from a nursing background and would just say try and "cover yourself" - if you're going to do something "clothes off" like a spray tan, for your own protection I would take a female junior in if possible, much like how male doctors usually have a female staff member come in for any intimate exams. I'm sure you won't have any problems but there's some funny people out there and you don't want some fruitcake accusing you of anything.
From my own personal point of view as a client, I'd be happy to have a male therapist, although if I was having waxing/tanning I'd like there to be another member of staff in the salon at least the first time - I think the fact you work with your girlfriend should put most ladies at ease!

Hi,

What do you think about men in salons?
Do you think it's weird?
What about men doing spray tans or waxing etc doing them on women and on other men?

I am going to have to work in my salon when it opens so I get to know the business better and so we don't have to employ more ppl.
But after that I wanted to do some personal training as thats my hobby (I'm a moderator on a bodybuiding forum normally).
I know of another male who did nails called melvin anthony (see below)
05omens_irvgleb758th.jpg

You wouldn't imagine that would you.

Melvin Anthony did nails?! your kidding?! I never knew that. Thats awesome!!! So I'm NOT the only bodybuilder out there that does nails. Well I don't feel so bad anymore (not that I felt bad in the first place, lol) Rock on!

It really depends on how old fashioned, square or prudish people are (or maybe even shy). Most gynecologists are men, maybe they should offer Brazillians as a bonus service. Perhaps buy 3 paps and get a free wax with the 4th.

BAH HAW HAW HAW HAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOM
I know of another male who did nails called melvin anthony (see below)
05omens_irvgleb758th.jpg

You wouldn't imagine that would you.

I bet he has no problems with blending tips !! :lol:

Marlise
......................................................................................................................................
thank you marlise for making me LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to say that it would make no difference to me who did a treatment, in this politically correct age, a treatment is a treatment.

But I can't, if I'm completely honest.

I just feel more comfortable with a female therapist for anything involving me getting any body parts out apart from hair, face, hands or feet.

Sorry :hug: JMHO.

But if you are both there then there is a choice so that's fine.

Hi , I am really puzzled now as I was talking to a male colleage only the other day and he says that he couldn't do his aromatherapy massage on ladies without a chaperone present ,

I know doctors have to have a chaperon sometimes ,
but this is what he was telling me :confused: has anyone else heard of this ?

Hi , I am really puzzled now as I was talking to a male colleage only the other day and he says that he couldn't do his aromatherapy massage on ladies without a chaperone present ,

Nope, I've not heard of this. It makes me wonder what the difference is between a male therapist doing a treament on a female client, and a female therapist doing a treatment on a male client. Do I have to have a chaperone with me if I do a male client now? :eek:

You may be suprised how many ladies love men in salons.

My boyfriend had to help me out on reception one day as my sis called in sick.

They were flocking in and stood their at reception with no hesitation to tell him they would like a hollywood wax.

He was loving it the little monkey:smack:

I know its totally different as he wasnt doing any of the treatments.

Would you be doing the intimate female waxing ???

I come from a nursing background and would just say try and "cover yourself" - if you're going to do something "clothes off" like a spray tan, for your own protection I would take a female junior in if possible, much like how male doctors usually have a female staff member come in for any intimate exams. I'm sure you won't have any problems but there's some funny people out there and you don't want some fruitcake accusing you of anything.
From my own personal point of view as a client, I'd be happy to have a male therapist, although if I was having waxing/tanning I'd like there to be another member of staff in the salon at least the first time - I think the fact you work with your girlfriend should put most ladies at ease!

Nope, I've not heard of this. It makes me wonder what the difference is between a male therapist doing a treament on a female client, and a female therapist doing a treatment on a male client. Do I have to have a chaperone with me if I do a male client now?

Hi Rouge, I too dont mind if I have a male or female therapist so
I asked him why he would need a chaperone ?
and he said it was because of the same reasons as the mcmog post. :hug: x

Hmmmm not sure, unless it's a requirement by his insurer or where he works but none of my collegues do this. Or it could be his personal choice to avoid any possible sexual harassment complaints.

My massage teacher got a complaint from a student saying he touched her inappropriately. He had a class full of witnesses to say that he asked her permission first and it was somewhere like her shoulder he touched to demonstrate a technique. There are some people who will try and sue saying you did something you didn't just to try and earn a quick buck at someone elses expense. This woman tried it on a few teachers and the institute told her not to come back.

My massage teacher got a complaint from a student saying he touched her inappropriately. He had a class full of witnesses to say that he asked her permission first and it was somewhere like her shoulder he touched to demonstrate a technique. There are some people who will try and sue saying you did something you didn't just to try and earn a quick buck at someone elses expense. This woman tried it on a few teachers and the institute told her not to come back.

Many people flatter themselves .....

I'm not gonna feel up any Vicky Pollard-esque client that walks in my salon, no Miss Universe nor any Adonis , Mr Universe or damn it David Beckham for that matter. Sure I may, see interesting things .... I appreciate the unfortunate almost as much as I appreciate the attractive ... Thats what I do for a living.

Sometimes I may want to "guffaw outloud", but I don't, I'm way too busy being a professional.

Gimme a few cocktails and their lard-ass, hairy legs, sagging boobs, oversized labia, small penis, varicose veins, warts, 3rd nipple, ingrown toenails, cankles, drooping eyelids, lopsided testes, pimply backs ....... and heaven forbid, their crooked nailbeds can become a topic of conversation (names withheld of course).

JUST LIKE IT DOES IN HERE

There are good and bad in all races, all creeds, all religions, all nationalities, all fields of employment and both sexes.

In my country it is illegal to discriminate against any of the above.

Females may be intimidated, embarrased, whatever by a male therapist, but where does that leave us men as customers (apparently at the mercy of 90% of therapists being female)?

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I'm just looking for the best service, be it by male, female, trans or robot.

FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW, I'M A PROUD MALE, OPENMINDED, WORLDLY, PROFESSIONAL THERAPIST.

I'm not in need of prudish, narrowminded, sexist clients that don't appreciate my professionalism.

It dissapoints me that just because I have a penis, it can apparently put me on the outer as a professional .

I'm not gonna feel up any Vicky Pollard-esque client that walks in my salon, no Miss Universe nor any Adonis , Mr Universe or damn it David Beckham for that matter. Sure I may, see interesting things .... I appreciate the unfortunate almost as much as I appreciate the attractive ... Thats what I do for a living.

Sometimes I may want to "guffaw outloud", but I don't, I'm way too busy being a professional.

Gimme a few cocktails and their lard-ass, hairy legs, sagging boobs, oversized labia, small penis, varicose veins, warts, 3rd nipple, ingrown toenails, cankles, drooping eyelids, lopsided testes, pimply backs ....... and heaven forbid, their crooked nailbeds can become a topic of conversation (names withheld of course).

There are good and bad in all races, all creeds, all religions, all nationalities, all fields of employment and both sexes.

Females may be intimidated, embarrased, whatever by a male therapist, but where does that leave us men as customers (apparently at the mercy of 90% of therapists being female)?

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I'm just looking for the best service, be it by male, female, trans or robot.

FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW, I'M A PROUD MALE, OPENMINDED, WORLDLY, PROFESSIONAL THERAPIST.

I'm not in need of prudish, narrowminded, sexist clients that don't appreciate my professionalism.

It dissapoints me that just because I have a penis, it can apparently put me on the outer as a professional .
Here here. I'm in complete agreement (but I'm female of course).

It's about a quality treatment not gender. I would be completely comfortable having any treatment done by a man except a brazillian, then I might after be a regular & getting comfortable with them.

I think when it comes to inappropriate behaviour, we female therapists that work on male clients are more at risk then the female clients of a male therapist. You are alot more likely to get a wierdo client then therapist.

I have had treatments by a few different men, some during which I was only wearing underwear, & every one of them was completely professional & did everything possible to protect my modesty.

This had to be one of the most AMAZING answers I have EVER seen. Seriously props to ya, I couldnt have said it better.

I am a guy who works mobile on nails and I have never had problems, a lot of people are surprised that I do nails but always are happy with the results. As long as you remain professional you shouldnt have any issues.

I personally wouldn't want to strip in front of a man for a waxing or a spray tan and im not old! I would feel uncomfortable, I always ask for female doctors if it is something private or I am going to be examined. Obviously there are people out there who are fine with it, but I would say there is a lot of people out there like me too, so I would say you need the option or you may lose custom.

Obviously Nails is a totally different thing!!

Just my opinion.

i have to agree with this couldnt have said it better myself!! i could handle having my nails done by a male but if i had to get my body out it would have to be a female doing the treatment but thats just me and the way i am im not old either at 23 and like said im sure there are plenty of people that are fine with having a male do their treatments but im not!! infact the lovely lady that does my treatments now has only done them since i got to know her!! :o and just to add i dont think that makes me sexist or narrowminded a bit prudish maybe but im not worried about that!

i am im not old either at 23

is age relevant too ? and here's me thinking it was just about being male, now it's an age thing too (even as a client) bet you wouldn't be too fussed it it was an organ donor.

Naaaah, thats way too deep, lets just stick to the shallow discussion of therapists of the correct sex waxing your hairy bits.

Latest posts

Back