What Made You Decide Who to Train With? By MINKUS

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Made You Decide Who to Train With?

• Did you use the products on your college course?

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Was it because the training centres were near to you?

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Was it the company's reputation?

Votes: 61 45.9%
  • Was it Price?

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Did you read about it in a mag?

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Did another tech influence you?

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Did you see a Demo at a show and think...THAT's FAB i'll have to have that.

Votes: 10 7.5%

• Total voters

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
This was an original thread posted by Amber aka MINKUS - I tried to edit with her as the thread starter but couldn't so just want you all to know - THIS IS AMBER'S POLL!!

Thanks guys from Amber

It was something i had wanted to do for years but could never find any information and the nail mags are not sold in stores so i gave up trying to find somewhere to train, then one day i was reading the ads in the back of cosmo and came across the ad for creative training, rang for portfolio and booked straight away, the bonus was i only live a 20 mins drive away from the academy

mine was about the companies reputation!!
havent looked back since, after struggling for at least a year with other products!!!

a bit confused why this is from amb, but posted by you samantha??? lol

oh you have explained now lol

I voted "because the training centre was near to me"... I wasn't aware of the nail scene back then!
Also, I decided to train in the system that I'd had applied to my nails in the year dot, I'd been having my nails 'done' for a number of years before finally deciding to become a tech myself. I'd gone to a local technician and had L+P aswell as gel, but went for a fibreglass wrap course as that was the look I preferred at the time. I wouldn't change anything as I think the whole experience has been a huge learning curve for me on a personal level.
I didn't find my current company until I became a member of The Nail Geek site (as was), thank goodness I did or I don't think I would be where I am today regarding my knowledge and systems used :wink2:

I have to admit to jumping into this whole business with my eyes firmly clamped shut!

I spent many hours searching and reading things on the net, I asked for info from a few companies.

I talked to some of the mums from school and they all came back saying that Creative was the way to go. So luckily for me I chose well from the start.

Uh Oh....I have to admit to doing absolutely NO research and going with the first person I knew about!!!!...who was near me!!!!

Don't shoot me...it was a long time ago.

Still I wouldn't change a thing....as I appreciated the training I later recieved and the products so much more than I would have....had I nothing to compare them to!!!...once I made the switch to Creative there was no stopping me lol :lol:

I didn't have a clue where to start all I knew was I wanted to do nails so I found a place on the web and booked it! Then I heard so much about Bio gel so did that.....now I can't wait to convert to Creative.

Well i was getting my nails done by my nail tech and i started asking her questions about nails, and she suggested if i was interested in doing it then talk to sullivans (my supplier) here in albury so that i did, went and got price lists etc, my fiancee sold his motorbike so i could do the course lol and the rest is history, i didnt know a thing about nails though, brands and everything luckily it turned out i trained with creative! yay! :lol:

I answered that I found it in a nail mag, which I did. When I decided to go self employed I got hold of my PN (Scratch wasn't around then and I think PN was just called Nails!) and contacted every company in there. Alessandro phoned me up and asked if I'd like an in-salon demo, which I agreed to. I thought they had a fab product range which met my needs, and I loved that I would have an account manager to help me with my business. So I signed up!

Unfortunately I had a lot of problems with their factoring agency so changed after a year. I then switched to LCN after visiting them at Olympia and having a long chat with Brenda Griffin, I have to say that their customer service is the best I have come across, but their training programme is limited so took on Creative as well ... a choice made from geek recommendation and also a demo at Excel.

I origianlly trained with Ezflow, purely because the training acadamy is just down the road from me.:green:

I didnt know anything about nails then, and had never heard of Creative, or many of the other nail companies. However, once I learnt more about the nail industry, and heard so many great things about Creative and their standard of eduction, I have started converting to their products. :)

I have only managed to do the l&p so far because of the distance and cost for me to travel to Leeds (I dont drive, and have 4 kids to put in childcare). I would do all the creative conversions this year if they had a training acadamy in Doncaster!:rolleyes:

I entered the nail industry by doing my NVQ with K-Sa-Ra. However, after commiting myself to doing the NVQ, I discovered that the NVQ wasn't really held in high regard in general within beauty salons, etc, and that most employers in the industry gave more credit to Creative trained technicians. The educator who I did my NVQ with also recommended Creative as the best way to go. It was great advice.

I did alot of research about 8-9 years ago about who to train with. I came to my own conclusion that Creative were the best people to train with. This is my opinion.
At the time I didnt have enough money to do 1 course let alone all the ones I wanted to do, so I started a fund for myself, and in June last year I had saved enough to do everything.

So here I am now doing the lot and loving it, and I am so glad that I went with Creative, as everything about them is fantastic! Yay!! xx

Hola

Well for me i needed muliple choice! :lol:

I look at the company's reputation, customer service, Pricing and also range of products they sell, as in files and cosumables. I like to order all in one place as much as i can.

I also need a demo then i go away and see how the product wears on me, then i make up my mind.

Because of convenience I was almost booked on a 2 day course in Manchester with a small training company that I found doing a search on the interent and I just thought I would run it by a friend of mine who has been in the nail industry for many years to see what she thought about the company I was almost signed up for. Her words were... dont do it.. you will regret it... ! She pointed me in the direction of this site (even though she doesnt come on here really herself) and said her opinion for best training from scratch would be Creative.

On reading many views on here I decided to go for it... and found the Manchester acadamy quite a reasonable distance to get to too so an added bonus. The other company who I won't mention has had quite a few put downs on here by other techs that have trained with them so not very satisfactory overall.

Definitely reputation, every time I looked in a nail mag' there they were. I heard others talking about CND and thought " got to do it!". So I did and I'm glad too.:Love:

I'd say it was all the things below but not necessarily in that order :

• Was it because the training centre's were near to you?
  • Was it the company's reputation?
  • Was it Price?
  • Did another tech influence you?
Aso the fact that they were so helpful & are there for you no matter what with any help/ advise on all things you might need!!:)

:rolleyes: price initially... then locality of the training.
I then found myself struggling with a brand, product & training that I did'nt beleive in.
So I then explored better training, & I'm glad I did, money well spent :lol: .

I voted because the training was near me, which helped because of my other job. I was glad that I done this training but am now soon going to be training with a company that I want to. The training is further away but I now know that distance or cost for that matter does not matter when you care enough about your chosen system.

i did my training at my local college.i didnt really know anything about nails then.all i can say is that i think i was very lucky in what products i was taught with and who taught me to use them.:)

I answered "reputation", but forgot who i originally trained with which was Star Nails. I trained with Star because the training place was near me and they were doing a special on course prices.

I didn't get on with their products and became alergic to the monomer, so looked elsewhere and went with EZ Flow. Mainly because of their reputation as well as the fact i had Spoken to Antony Buckley who really helped me with sample kits and lots of advice.

Latest posts

Back