What were you in a previous life?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what was/is your job before becoming a nail geek?

• In Insurance?

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • The Management?

Votes: 79 17.0%
  • ln the office?

Votes: 240 51.6%
  • Housewife?

Votes: 119 25.6%
  • Funeral Director?

Votes: 11 2.4%

• Total voters
Was actually a graphic artist for 15 years before doing the mid-life career change. Got my esthetician license first then went back to the classroom for nails. Wished I'd done this sooner!!

I am still in my current job, I'm a Weight Watchers leader of 7 meetings, but as of next week 5 as slowly pulling out as Client base builds up.
C*

Well I had high hope os being a lawyer...until I did my degree and found out how boring it really was.

So I worked in Insurance...boring
I worked for British gas....boring...left to have baby
I worked for BT...boring
I worked in Car Finance....boring...left to have another baby
Then worked for Learn Direct...giving out information about courses!!! Then I found the nail tech course and found what I have been missing!!

And have been happy ever since!!

I was a housewife, i had six and kids got divorce and now i'm a mobile nail tech
and i'm loving it

misty said:
I was a housewife, i had six and kids got divorce and now i'm a mobile nail tech
and i'm loving it
sorry i meant i had six kids:o

Wow, it's been so pleasurable to read of everyone's experiences and to revel in the fact that I'm not the only one with a career change (or two). (If you've got a parent who's in your ear saying, "Lovey, you're 31 now, you've gotta start buckling down now..." you'll know what I mean).

I left school at year ten (utterly bored) and went travelling. I ended up in New Zealand, Europe and Indonesia. Upon my return, I held a manner of jobs: fast food cashier, car detailer, deckhand, coxswain, structural welder, strapper, checkout chickie, Dairy section manager. Took STAT test, got into uni (as a 'mature age' student - bah hahaa) and became a teacher. Lasted about two years in the classroom, studied law for a year (yawn) while working as a PA in a law firm (a modern form of self administered sadomasochism), got work as a Migration Agent in a law firm and could not for the life of me find a decent nail technician where I was living. I had an "aha!" moment and thought I'd check out the nail game.

I'm newly qualified, am in the process of setting up a business for myself and scared but excited at the same time.

I don't wish I'd done this years ago, though, because my experiences have made me the person I am today and I feel it's a far cry from the listless, drifting person I was in my teens/early 20s.

(PS. I have always wanted to join the Navy, by the way. Is that wrong?)

Im actually surprised im apparently not the only ex funeral director as there are 5 others in the poll ! I worked for my Dad in our family business for 9 years as a Funeral Director. Hated it, much happier in my job now!

Manager for New Look!(Great staff discount:wink2: )

I left school at 18 and fell into working for for a big insurance company becasue they paid well(!) and spent the next 16 years there!!! Worked most of that time im Marketing and mostly enjoyed it.

Was put on notice of redunancy last year and while working out my notice decided to take a chance on doing something I really like - nails! So did my foundation course and when I left Zurich at the end of 2004 set up my mobile business.

Love it, and am so glad I did it!! People ask if I miss Zurich......I just laugh!!!

Yvette
x

My life before nails??? HMMM there was no life before nails!! I love doing them they are my passion 2nd to my hubby and children of course!!!

Mmmmmmm - before nails ???
Many moons ago, when I a young lass....
At school (and out) I was quite creative, so when I left school I wanted to do something arty.. But being in a small town and not being able to drive the jobs I would of liked were very very very limited..
So I took the first job that came along (YTS) being female in an office and didnt like it.. moved from job to job (for a while) then found one i liked YIPEEEEEEE
after 8 years got made redundant !!!! POOO
Then found another job - yeppp in an office again.. Boss was proper awful to me, especially when I asked for 2 weeks off to get married and have a honeymoon (same 2 weeks he wanted for his holiday) I couldnt stand the atmosphere any more, so trained to do something I really really really really wanted to do..
I have never looked back since - now I lease my own shop. I asked my boss to my open night, but No he did not show..

So does this mean the end to your childbearing Angela...lol :Love:

wondernail said:
Well I had high hope os being a lawyer...until I did my degree and found out how boring it really was.

So I worked in Insurance...boring
I worked for British gas....boring...left to have baby
I worked for BT...boring
I worked in Car Finance....boring...left to have another baby
Then worked for Learn Direct...giving out information about courses!!! Then I found the nail tech course and found what I have been missing!!

And have been happy ever since!!

I was an account manager out on the road, so where does sales fit in?? I cannot vote boo hoo....:irked:

My former life was the following in this order:

- hairdresser/makeup artist (that did nails on the side for family and friends)
- barmaid
- receptionist (still doing nails on the side)
- Office admin (still doing nails) for 10yrs give or take
- Stay at home mom
and now
Stay at home mom and business owner working from home doing...

NAILS lol

Of course other jobs here and there were:; fast food cook, encyclopedia salesperson, shampoo girl, nanny for 5 kids, waitress, worked in a 'jeans' boutique selling jeans, ummmmmmmm what else? LOL

So, I couldn't check off any 'one' particular option.

i worked in sales/promotions and retail (and hated it!)

I was a teacher x

I can't vote.....I did the odd job here and there ....but no Career....doing it ..

jobs were :
Dental receptionist ( high school )
dishwasher
telemarketer
gas station attendant
beautiful world of Nails.....been this way since :)

When i qualified as beauty therapist i worked in 2 Spas, hated it as would be booked out for hours of solid massage :irked: so i left & worked for a debt collection agency, chasing debtors :lol: . I then left to go back to beauty & work for myself as mobile therapist. Love working for me !

Hiya
I worked in Birmingham City Centre Fashion Industry 15yrs
Had motorbike accident & had to give up my job was in a bad way for a while.
Had pay off from insurance company which paid for creative course etc
Jennyx

i was a stripper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back