What were you in a previous life?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what was/is your job before becoming a nail geek?

• In Insurance?

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • The Management?

Votes: 79 17.0%
  • ln the office?

Votes: 240 51.6%
  • Housewife?

Votes: 119 25.6%
  • Funeral Director?

Votes: 11 2.4%

• Total voters
lotus blossom said:
i was a stripper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

What paint or clothes????
Do you carry a hot gun in your pocket or do you wear tassles under your tunic, rofl!

Glorsclaws said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

What paint or clothes????
Do you carry a hot gun in your pocket or do you wear tassles under your tunic, rofl!
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no just a liar!!! i had so many boring jobs mainly running pubs i wanted to liven it up!!!!
i always wanted to be a stripper though!!!!

Sounds far more exciting than a secretary!! ( Which is what I used to be)!!!:lol:

ROFL!
Ive just had visions of you pole-dancing around your salon with tassles on your tunic (ever watch Nightie Nite?).
I once got a job in a brand new wine bar. Night it opened as we walked in, manager tossed us all our uniforms... shorts & see through t.shirts, I wanted to die, as it was back in the days when I didnt 'do bras' :eek:
I made an exception every working-night after that though! :lol:

Glorsclaws said:
ROFL!
Ive just had visions of you pole-dancing around your salon with tassles on your tunic (ever watch Nightie Nite?).
I once got a job in a brand new wine bar. Night it opened as we walked in, manager tossed us all our uniforms... shorts & see through t.shirts, I wanted to die, as it was back in the days when I didnt 'do bras' :eek:
I made an exception every working-night after that though! :lol:

actually i might start pole dancing in my salon!!!
just for a laff!!
weve got poles in the salon as well so ill have a go and let you know how i get on!!!! i might have to hoist my crop trousers up a bit to be hot pants a la kylie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lotus blossom said:
weve got poles in the salon as well
I thought you might, rofl!

I have been in sales for 18 years, cars, houses, and last 5 years was in IT Recruitment. I was Regional Manager...

cut a long story short - I lost my sister, age 26, who did same job as me in same company...our dream was to 'retire' from that job and she was having a designer clothes shop, and I was having a nail bar next door...
(I have always loved nails, was a nail biter for years, then 18 yrs ago, when I could afford it, I started on my first set of enhancements, and have been hooked ever since - never a day without them ( and a new set each time I went in to have my 3 kids!!)

so when I lost my sister I decided to follow the dream cause life is too short...
done my training and never looked back since (and I dont earn 1/4 of what I used to..) I love doing nails, never tire of it, and love the variety of different hands and different challenges...:)

I'm sorry to hear of your loss BUT very happy that your pursued your dream:!:

Although you are making less.. I'll bet you're happier?

I used to make 40 a year, plus bonuses (and they were usually 4 figures). Around here, that's pretty good money.
I gave it up to be a stay at home mom. Really tough some days... ok, a lot of days (man, budgets really SUCK!:irked: )
but I wouldn't trade a single minute of it and wished I had figured it out sooner that money is not all it's cracked up to be.

It's funny... way back when, when I was in highschool... all I wanted was to be a hairdresser or doing something in the beauty industry.. I NEVER wanted to be in an office, I was convinced I'd be miserable. Turned out I was right. When I compare my years as an Office Admin to the years I did other stuff... I was always happier doing other stuff.

So, three cheers to nail techs and all the fun that this great career choice is.

well first i started out at coles supermarket moved onto an abbotoirs! eeww
then a dodgy cafe and had my two girls and decided enough of the crappy getting nowhere jobs and done my courses and now doing nails best decision i ever made! :)

I was a Bank manager and Financial Advisor. Unfortunately, dont manage my own finances quite as well as other peoples!

Hi

I have done a variety of different jobs, but for 10 years I was a driving Instructor....taught and meet some lovley people to drive then after their test repaired they bitten nails...teehee!!

Very stressful job but very rewarding...still bumb (not literary:) )into people that I taught to drive (you never forget your driving instructor eh)

I have always done my own nails, not extensions or anything just polish and maybe some nail art. When I started doing my nail training I was working as an account manager (telesales) for a mobile phone re-selling company. Now I cut toe nails for the elderly eventually I will work for myself, doing nails, nails and more nails and making them each and everyone as beautiful as I can.

Joan

i can't vote, my jobs are not there.

i have woarked as
a shop assisstant,
a homeworker (assembling components for blinds)
shop assisstant again
a receptionist for driving school
now i'm part time vending machine operator, and after a long time of working on friends and family, a part time nail stylist.

i had to put house wife but i worked for years as a dance instructor in salsa and street dance untill i broke my foot last christmas. dancing was my first love now it's nails. there are sooooo many people here who have inspired me and made me want to go into the nail industry, i am loving it and want to say a big thankyou to all who have helped me and still do.

xxxx

OMG you name it i have done it, when i left school i worked in a dog food factory ( not nice ) off the top of my head i have done nursing, then was the manager of a residential home for 6 years, i have done bar work, been a cook, worked bars, worked in super markets on the tills, worked in shops, and before getting into nails i was a foster carer for about 6 or 7 years, at least i can say i have plenty of people and life experience :hug:
Just love doing nails and the odd beauty treatment now though.

Well i must have been a nasy barsteward because im getting dealt some nasty crappy blows in life at the moment!:irked: :grr:

I was in the office until 5 weeks ago! but in my real previous incarnation I was a muppet lol

I have been many things... more or less in the following order :lol: (this old brain of mine confuses things sometimes haha). Keep in mind, I moved out at 16yrs of age.. and bounced around for the first few years. That's when I did most of these jobs.

1. Hairdresser/makeup-artist (left due to arthritis, still play at it)
  2. Waitress/cook in tiny hot-dog/fast food joint
  3. A shooter-girl in a bar (walk around, with bottles on the hips, selling 'shots' of hard stuff)
  4. Barmaid for same bar
  5. Model and "extra" in some smalltime tv shows etc (was in deadbolt with Justine Batement, btw, she's umm interesting to say the least haha)
  6. Freelanced writing for small paper for many years while doing much of the other stuff
  7. Salesperson in clothing boutique
  8. Nanny for 6 kids
  9. Receptionist/secretary in thematic decor company that handles decor for other businesses huge events (galas and the like)
  10. Encyclopedia sales, door to door LOL (got to see ALL of Canada doing this haha)
  11. Assistant to the tax department & the Educational Services Dept and the Accounts Payable at a School board AND the relief receptionist (all simultaneously).
  12. Assitant for the Director of Education at a School Board
  13. Receptionist for Investment firm (and replacement for assistants that went on holidays etc)
  14. Branch Administrator for the same firm
  15. Wire-op/Co-Branch Admin inputting trades on stock market for another firm.
  16. Office Admin & Exec Assistant to Pres of Immigration Consultant Firm
  17. Office Admin & Exec Assistant to a Diamond & Jewellery Imports Co.
  18. Stay At Home Mom
  19. Nail technician & Stay at home mom
Numbers 13 through 19 are the last 14 years.
Been a busy bee.
:lol:

Well I am a quality/gage technician. It is actually aa very nail abusive career so I hope to be ending it soon. However it does pay very very well.

I was a pub licensee from being 21, which isnt as much fun as you think!!!:)

Latest posts

Back