Whats the best way of applying a spray tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie1984

Reaction score
I there I have completed my spray tan training and I am trying to get to grips with the technique of spray tanning. I have been looking at spray tan videos on you tube and have noticed that that the way some people apply a spray tan is different to others. From what I’ve seen some start with the back and others with the face. I am looking for a step 2 step spray tanning technique that is easy to follow that works well.

I have been told to start with the face , but I quite like the sound of starting first with the back.

Please help and if you can sent me a quick application technique that you use that will help me to remember that will be great.

Thank you so much if you have replied this is a great help.

Annemarie:smack:

I think the hardest thing for me starting out was getting into a routine of spraying that I knew covered everywhere! I used to forget if I had sprayed once, or twice (I always spray twice) and used to get in a bit of a muddle..

Once you have been spraying for a while you will probably tweak it to suit yourself a little. There is no reason why you can't start with the back, that is what i do. Just try to get yourself into a routine that you can remember and do the same everytime you spray. You'll need a lot of practise before you start going public so that you can be confident that you have 'got it' :hug:

why don,t you follow the routine you had when you did your trainning ? or have you forgot.
i was trained with tantrick they start spraying on the back first, also sent me a sheet how to do the rountine. I must admit was bit hard to get into a rountine, but finaly confident to give a good tan once you stick to a good routine pefect coverage every time. I even taught my husband to tan me.
sure you will pick it up in no time as your cofidents grows.:)

why don,t you follow the routine you had when you did your trainning ? or have you forgot.
i was trained with tantrick they start spraying on the back first, also sent me a sheet how to do the rountine. I must admit was bit hard to get into a rountine, but finaly confident to give a good tan once you stick to a good routine pefect coverage every time. I even taught my husband to tan me.
sure you will pick it up in no time as your cofidents grows.:)

See it realy doesn't take long before your away spraying the world brown once the initial fear has passed :hug:

your routine you do will just click one day, and even your clients will know your routine, i don't even have to say a thing to some of my clients, they just know what to do after i have sprayed each bit. Its great, give us more time to gossip.:green:

xx

what's easiest? I think start with the back, go straight down to bottom and then do shoulders and backs of arms, fill in the gaps (follow contours of body depending on what machine you use and how you spray) then do the legs, turn person to side and spray side, repeat on other side then do front, inside of legs (I do this to save embarrasment for largher ladies who cant do the side splits thing) I do arms then finish with face I always ask them if they want their face done as they can see the colour guide and can chose. I never question if I have done any parts as its really back, side, side, front, arms then face.

HTH's

heehee, I dont follow anything I learnt! I start on the front of body, arms, front of legs, then turn them round, do back, back of legs, inside of legs, and finish off with the face! I've had no complaints yet!!!! I think just find your own routine!

heehee, I dont follow anything I learnt! I start on the front of body, arms, front of legs, then turn them round, do back, back of legs, inside of legs, and finish off with the face! I've had no complaints yet!!!! I think just find your own routine!

Do you not spray their sides then? :eek:

Can't understand why anyone would not want to have their face done either? do people actually ask you not to do the face? :eek: must be a noticable difference to the body?

As clients are almost naked, I was taught to start with the back so as to make them feel less self-concious .
So - my routine is back, back of legs, sides of legs, front & insides of legs. Feet
Then I come up to arms, hands and sides of torso, then front of torso. Neck & face.
Then I get them to twirl slowly to check I haven't missed any bits.
Job done !

Hi there,
I have found that doing the back first works best. This way when your client is standing infront of you they wont feel so vunerable being naked and have some time to get used to it before turning round! also you can "check" the tan application is right without them knowing!

Hope this helps,
sarah:confused:

I was trained to start with the face and front, but now I start with the back. I was told the client will feel less self concious by dong it this way. Especially if they are new.

my routine is

Back
Back of legs
Back of arms
Face
Front of body
Front of legs
Client turns to the side I then do the top and along the underneath the arms
The client then holds this arm forwards (it also stops it toucing their side for a while)
Side of the body
Side and inside of legs
Than start all over again for a second coat
Finally back of the hands
Put hands in a pray position and point down and upwards to spray the sides of the hand.
Feet.

my routine is

Back
Back of legs
Back of arms
Face
Front of body
Front of legs
Client turns to the side I then do the top and along the underneath the arms
The client then holds this arm forwards (it also stops it toucing their side for a while)
Side of the body
Side and inside of legs
Than start all over again for a second coat
Finally back of the hands
Put hands in a pray position and point down and upwards to spray the sides of the hand.
Feet.

Hi there on my training I only was told to apply only one coat of solution.
How come you apply two and does the tan turn out better?:!:

Last edited:
Hi there on my training I only was told to apply only one coat of solution.
How come you apply two and does the tan turn out better?:!:

I was told two light coats is better so if you miss any bits first time round you will catch them with the second

I there I have completed my spray tan training and I am trying to get to grips with the technique of spray tanning. I have been looking at spray tan videos on you tube and have noticed that that the way some people apply a spray tan is different to others. From what I’ve seen some start with the back and others with the face. I am looking for a step 2 step spray tanning technique that is easy to follow that works well.

I have been told to start with the face , but I quite like the sound of starting first with the back.

Please help and if you can sent me a quick application technique that you use that will help me to remember that will be great.

Thank you so much if you have replied this is a great help.

Annemarie:smack:

If you have just completed your training then it is going to take a little while for you to get used to your routine. Believe me this will come with practice and the more you do the more competent you will become so please be patient and keep on with the routine that you were taught in your training.

As for uTube we can all go on and have a look and see lots of different ways of spraying, however if you are new to the industry you could be picking up bad habits from some of these videos are they are not all produced by the tanning companies. Some are very well made dont get me wrong but being new to the industry I would bear with what you have and keep practising.

If you have any problems with your technique then I would suggest going back to your trainer and speaking to them. With anything we all make mistakes as we are all human and none of us perfect so dont get down about it. I bet even us tanning techs that have been tanning for years have the odd problem. I know I do occaisionly and we learn by them.

Good luck and remember once you have been doing it a while you will feel more comfortable with your routine. Dont forget there are lots of companies out there and there routines will all be unique to them - some start and the front some the back. Some spray once and others twice. It is all in the training so remember to get plenty of practice.

Did you get a manual from your training provider as this normally has a spray tan guide in it. If you didnt get back in contact with them and ask if they can send you one. Dont be shy about asking you have paid for training and from the sounds of it, you are experiencing some problems that your trainer should be able to sort out for you.

Take care and Tan On

Hi there I found this spray tanning video on you tube, I really like this technique and feel this one will be right for me.

Watch it and let me know what you think?

YouTube - Spray on Tan

:hug:

Annie who have you trained with ?

Hiya,

Back first
Arms, Hands
Face, Neck & Chest
Belly
Legs..client moves in a full circle bit by bit.

ten a quick spritz all over to complete

circle movements around feet, elbows and knees (very little in these areas

Jen x

hi, i was told during my training last week not to spray the feet at all as they catch enough spray from the body (which they do and my feet were REALLY brown) but when the tan developed my feet were really patchy. My colleagues feet were really patchy too, and the trainer sprayed her. Whats the best technique for tanning the feet? We didn't apply any barrier creams anywhere, but I think I would be tempted to, especially on the feet, as my soles were really brown and my palms got bits of tan on them too. Thanks for any advice, im using Solglo x

i spray quite dry and if I dont spray the feet the end up white as there is hardly any overspray. I get my clients to stand on couch roll or kitchen roll to avoid tanning the bottom of feet. You shouldn't be getting it on palms unless you have touched, they shouldn't be getting sprayed if you are doing it right.

Latest posts

Back