Which Laptop to buy????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandz

Reaction score
Hi guys!!!

As you can tell from the title, I'd like to purchase a laptop and not to sure what to look for? how much to spend? what make? etc.
Has anyone got any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Manda

Last edited by a moderator:
PC world have a new one on offer Toshiba lap top £389 amd chip and duel core processor my oh says its a good one:hug: Please don't ask me questions I have no clue :eek::lol:

Well if you want a laptop you have picked the best time to get one.......there are sales everywhere hun !!!....my son got his from pc world 1 year ago and its still going strong.xxxxx

only advice i have is i had an advent laptop and had problem after problem, also they get bad reviews on the net........

Hi, I am not an expert, but my husband is (well he says he is anyway!) and he always says to my friends and family that if you go to a reputable store and buy the cheapest one you can, it will do everything that a "normal" person wants it to do ie: word processing, internet etc. The only thing you may want extra is software, in which case you just need to make sure it either comes with the software or can run it if you buy it seperately. I hope this makes sense, and if I am wrong I will slap the other half!

I am a apple mac geek so its apple all the way for me, they are fab fab fab :)

I've got a DELL which I ordered online, cost me about £480 and its nearly a year old.

I had a man from PC WORLD come out to fit my wireless modem. He told me that DELL are the best, and was well impressed with me!

He said COMPAQ is crapola.

I noticed Tesco were selling DELL now for under £500.

Thanks guys, I've bin surfing the hi ways for an hour or so, my head has started to hurt so guna have a look at a few of your suggestions tomorrow,
Thanks so much for all your help, much appreciated!!
xxxx

I got a refurb from pc world, top spec fantastic .... £229

Only a few weeks ago

My daughter wants one for her birthday ... (already starting to save..its in September) and i have no idea what to get her...she doesn't need all mod cons...but would like a pink one...and i dont want to spend loads...???...

PC world had a kids laptop in pink and blue last week. think it was about £350, but pretty good spec inc dual core etc.... hth

Dell are a great company.
You order the laptop and add on any extras (like integrated webcam, extra memory etc etc) so that you are in control of the price.

I'm on my second Dell laptop and love this one as much as my last one. This one is an XPS, love it :hug:

I bought my last two computers, within the last 3 months from a place called Laptops Direct online. They are at Laptops Direct - Buy Cheap Laptops in the UK. Laptop Computers, Cheap Notebooks, New Cheap Laptop, Used and Refurbished Laptops. Find bargain Laptop Computers for Home or Business.

Both were HP, brand new, do as much as I need them to do and I do use them for a lot of things and they were just under £300.00. I've bought quite a lot of machines over the years and I was quite impressed with them.

Might be another avenue.

Of course, if you'd prefer not to buy online, for a novice user you can't beat PC World. They are a few pounds dearer but at least you can go down to the shop and take it home with you.

Just be wary if you do go into a shop though. If you're new to computers, you definitely don't need anything over the most basic and cheap machine, but as always they will tell you that you should start with this and that and it works out a lot of money.

How much you need to spend depends on what you want to do with it.If buying for children and they want to play games like the sims or most of the latest games on it you need to spend quite a bit more than your basic cost,you will see that the gaming computers can go up into over a thousand plus .
The more complicated the games the better the graphics card it needs, otherwise it will lag and in a lot of cases not play it at all.Even the latest sims games have minimum spec they need to play well.
If buying from dell they always do the old must have a word with my manager routine and if you go away they will come back with a better price.
I bought my daughters toshiba from Buy Dell Optiplex, Refurbished Laptops, PCs, Servers, Workstations online including Dell, HP Compaq, Toshiba, Lenovo: EuroPC - UK's Number 1 for Refurbished IT and my sons direct from dell both pleased with the service and the computers.

I got a Toshiba laptop last year and it is great. Managed to still find one with Windows XP as well (I'm Vista-phobic) - if you can still find one with XP then that might be a safer bet too lol.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 which is nearly three years old. It has only gone wrong once and they were very helpful and it was fixed ASAP ONLINE!!!!

Recently my daughter cracked the screen and the engineer was out the very next day to replace it.

Cant fault their service at all.

Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i've just bought a pink hi-grade laptop, its got good memory on it and runs really quickly, shop around for the best deal for a well known supplier or home shopping catalogue so you've got a good warranty and don't be conned into spending a fortune when you don't have to x

i've just bought a pink hi-grade laptop, its got good memory on it and runs really quickly, shop around for the best deal for a well known supplier or home shopping catalogue so you've got a good warranty and don't be conned into spending a fortune when you don't have to x

That's what Sonia would love - a nice pink laptop! Although the chances are our next laptop will be a MacBook - at least that way we can avoid Windows Vista lol...

well its funny cos id go against what others have said and avoid dell like the plague, cos i had nothing but probs with my dell pc, trying to get through to them (in india) and get them to help you is nigh on impossible, others on here rate them but ive had nothing but trouble, so its all personal choice

same as vista i love it, been using it for 9 months now , everythings now compatibale and i have no probs, but at first i hated it lol

i must admit the last 2 lappys we have bought have been from tescos, simply because god forbid anything goes wrong, you just take it back and they just give you a new one (and after months of trying to get pc world to help us with the one before, this is ideal for us lol) we just keep regular backups and wipe them before they go back if necessary, (thankfully I havent needed to yet) mines a gateway and its ace, toms is erm.... oh cant remember sony i think, but they were both less than £500 and came loaded, dvd+RW drive, intel processor, 17" display, 120gb etc ,mouse, carry bag and bells and whistles lol

good luck in finding what you want hun xxx

Latest posts

Back