Words or phrases in the beauty industry that are annoying.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it when clients know perfectly well what hours you do and still try to just 'slot' in when I'm clearly not.

There's also the ones who've book in for months in advance and decide to do something else on that time or day wanting you to ask another client if they can swap!!

Hate being called a "beautician"!!!!!! I am a BEAUTY THERAPIST!!!!!!

Grrrr that drives me mad too:mad:

Phone Rings
Me: "hello?" (it's 6:10am in the morning!!! on a SUNDAY)
Client: "I'd like to book an appointment"
Me: "Please call back after 9am, I'll be able to help you then"
Client: " why can't you now?"
Me: "because I'm in bed.. and you woke me up... and my pc is off and so my calendar is not on"
Client: "can't you get out of bed?"
Me: 'NO'
and i hung up.
She was a pita and would call all hours of the day and night............................... I refused to book her anymore and that's when I got call display so that any calls "off hours" that showed client #'s or numbers I didn't recognize, I let go to the machine.

Thank god a friend of mine adv me to get another phone for business calls, i work mobile and get calls any time of day or night so now i just turn the phone off when i'm in bed or cant work for any reason.

Also, an eyebrow wax client comes in, lies down on the bed and THEN asks, "have u time for a lip, chin, bikini and underarm wax?" - oh yes, seeing as I'm clearly wonderwoman. I can easily fit all those treatments into the 15 minutes I have allocated for your eyebrow wax!

This happens soooooooooooo often its not even funny, and mostly its the same clients!!!!

I've had many strange comments from clients but this one by far takes the biscuit!!!

Client rings wanting to book a file and polish on her fingers and toes and says "i want a nail colouring on all 20 nails please........" cause i'm only going to do 19 of them for the craic :lol: and apparentely you can now dye yer nails too lol :rolleyes:

Client: i don't want to be peroxide blonde!

Hello!!! That makes no sense!!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Shellac. I hate the sound of it! I cringe when I get voicemails from clients wanting a shuhLACK mani or wanting their nails to be shuhLACKED. They could have chosen a better name... It reminds me of hack yuck!

I rather suspect that you're a tad biased on that one though, given your earlier rants about the lack of availability!
Shellac is a resin secreted by the lac bug and was used extensively in the early 20C as a wood treatment; its predominant feature was that it was hard wearing with a mirror like finish, so I think it's an entirely appropriate name for the nail product, don't you?

My favorites are:

- "How long will it take for the polish to dry?" When the answer is not what they want hear they reply: "Oh, doesn't it take a couple of minutes?" Have gel then. lol

- "Are you tools sterile?" Well, the moment they get in contact with my hands and air, they are just sanitised... I always want to say "no" to this one and mention that the client before her has HIV.

- "Do you travel to clients?" - "Yes." - "Can you come to me now?"
Option 1: "No, sorry, it's 9.30 pm, but I have a slot tomorrow morning." - "Oh, no! I need it now! Don't you need money?" Well, I do but my situation is not as bad.
Option 2: "No sorry, I am fully booked for the next three days. May I offer you 2.00 on Monday?" - "No, I need it now."

Some of these really made me laugh but I think some of you that do hair would hate me I just usually say do what you want and hope for the best I do think one day I'll come out looking a right mess but so far so good lol

If I was a Hairdresser I'd ask: "Do you mind me shaving you bald? I think this is right for you..."
When to my question what shape and length of the nails the clients would like I get "Do what you like" I usually say that I am going to do zigzag, as this is my favorite. At this point they tell me exactly what they want.

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. I'm so glad it isn't just us that gets bothered by those things! It's hilarious reading over them and going I HATE THAT TOO! The looking over your shoulder at appointment books, asking for ONE layer, telling you how to do YOUR job! Arr!!

One of the girl at works weekly blowdry ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS grabs the side of the hair she has just dried, ALWAYS says "is it still wet". She shakes her head at the client and continues to blowdry. Then she ALWAYS without fail asks "are you going to have time to finish it." Uhhh YUH!
She said to me one day, when she is asked if she will have enough time to finish, she's gonna put her brush down and go "Time's up! Woopsee!"

I rather suspect that you're a tad biased on that one though, given your earlier rants about the lack of availability!
Shellac is a resin secreted by the lac bug and was used extensively in the early 20C as a wood treatment; its predominant feature was that it was hard wearing with a mirror like finish, so I think it's an entirely appropriate name for the nail product, don't you?

I have nothing against the product itself as I mentioned! I hate the sound of the word lol! ShuhLACK!

Oooooo these are making me smile!! I literally give myself Sundays and Monday evenings off and I have one particular client that quite often asks "Can you not just make allowances for me?" Errrr no!!!

Oh and the old classic "Can you just squeeze me in for an eyebrow wax? It only takes 5 minutes" ....

" do you do white tips? "

" ill have the gel nails as they dont do damage like acrylic does "

" can you fit me in today for a quick facial? "

when recently asked about lash tint and lash extensions, i asked client to come down for a patch test , this was her reply:
Oh cant you do the lashes without a patch test? "

I get a few clients wanting full head foils and then say "I've only got short hair so it shouldn't take as long." Oh yeah it'll be done in a flash won't it. Trouble is most of the other girls fall for it and squeeze it in a half an hour gap!

Oh these made me giggle!! Lol.

Mine are;

I recently had a client call into the salon to book quite a few treatments for later that week. I was sitting at reception waiting for my last client to get changed and then had 15 mins before my next client arrived.
The lady wasn't happy that I couldn't take her there and then for her full leg wax, eyebrow wax, express facial and gel overlays (!!!!) and hung right over the counter, LIFTED my diary and pointed to my 15 minute space and said 'Ach sure you could fit me in there'. SERIOUSLY?! I think I lost the power of speech for a few seconds!! Lol.

Or;

Phone rings
Me 'Good morning, blah blah'
Client 'I need to book in for an appointment'
Me 'no problem at all, what would you like done, and when suits you'?
Client 'emmmmmm'...

GRRRRRR!!

Lol xx

No i don't want a cut, I just want the ends taken off!

You're not going to turn me orange are you? (spray tanning)

Clients, don't you just love them??!!

Hehehe I get the Orange question also:biggrin: One of these I'm going to replay '' oh no it does'nt go orange just a lovely flattering shade of green.'' Imagine the face. lol

DRILL ..... I hate this word in the nails world...

In the hair corner
Do you do flashes /streaks
Er no we do high/low lights
Streaking sounds soooooo nasty lol

I hate the word "scrub" when used for exfoliator. It sounds so harsh.

I hate it when people phone asking for a quick trim. A quick trim takes the same time as a trim on my eyes.

I only want the ends off. It will only take her 5 minutes ( if this was the case I would be very rich!)

Definitely agree with the above too, people that want you to come in after your working hours. I have been known to do this, once working while 10pm on a Saturday. Now I have got kids I can't and people look disgusted in me.

Lol to mally123pink why is it that wanting to get home to the family is seen as a cardinal sin

Oh and the old classic "Can you just squeeze me in for an eyebrow wax? It only takes 5 minutes" ....

it does only takes me five minutes.

Latest posts

Back