You want to be taken seriously? Then get SERIOUS!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Thought I would throw this new topic into the pot for the Creative technicians on the board, but really it should be relevant to all technicians no matter what products they use. I suppose it also highlights the increasing amount of public awareness there is about nails these days as well.

To get to the point ... I do several client's nails here in Spain. I like to keep my hand in, so to speak, and I also do a lot of testing of new products for Creative and Fabric# and the clients are willing participants.
Most of these clients are back and forth from the UK so they have their nails done in other Creative salons.

Practically every client I see has commented on the fact, that when they go to other technicians they see many differences ... the technician either never uses CoolBlue (a hand sanitizer) either on themselves or on their clients, or never softens the cuticles with Cuticle Eraser or Cuticle Remover before pushing back the soft tissue around the nails OR they don't bother with a top coat over the enamel or maybe a base coat etc etc.

Now if I am hearing this from the few clients I have ... how wide spread is this problem and more importantly WHY? I can only think that technicians are shortcutting to save time or worse to save a few pennies!! This is so shabby.

When we here on the site try to help a technician who is having a problem with say lifting, we assume (obviously wrongly) that the whole system (as has been taught) is being used??? If any who read this are having problems then let me urge you to use the system in its entirety and do things correctly! Many clients are aware of how things should be done and they notice when they are not.

So my message is this ... Do not compromise the standard of your work by short cutting. If you think you are loosing money and need to save a few pennies by taking short cuts and not using the products you need, then you are not charging enough.

If we want to be taken seriously and respected for what we do, then it's time we got more serious about doing the job right.

I think that one answer to this would be for the companies involved to spend more money in consumer mags than they do in the trade mags.

For example, my friend has taken on a range for her salon that has a whole page ad in the trade mag but she can't shift the bloody stuff because nobody's heard of it. Better that they put the ad in a consumer mag and get the word out there. I think that it would be money far better spent for clients to read about this great range and then go looking for it.

I had a friend who was in a band and they were great but the bookings weren't coming in. So, I called a big entertainment agency saying that I'd heard this band and didn't have their number and were they on their books. Within one hour, the agent had found their number and had called them asking if they wanted to be on her books. Crafty yeah, but hey !!!!

I'm a Creative girl through and through and I would like to see it become the Toni & Guy of nails where it taps into the snobbery of people and hopefully educate them at the same time.

xxxxxxxxxx

I just love what you have to say Geeg's. You help remind us all of what we need to stay true to. I've learnt so much from this site, it's great to be in contact with the world of nails to keep our standards up to scratch, and share how much it's growing. I'm just a newie, but have had an interest in nails for years so i don't feel all that qualified to comment. It is the norm that people short cut procedure though. I think until something comes back and bites them on the.... well u know, they think it'll be ok...doesn't really matter. I have a nursing background and when you see what happens to people when poor hygiene is practised......yuck! Anyway it doesn't take all that much longer, the first time client is usually the most time consuming after that their cuticle etc. should be up to scratch, and the amount of product is minimal. It's a good opportunity to talk with your client and do some 'promo' of what you have to offer, nail art, products, what's new etc., before you need to focus more on your work.

well, without blowing my own trumpet, i seem to get a lot of comments saying ' oh whats this your doing ..whats that for etc' 'my old tech NEVER did that/used this'

Just on mere basic things as you've said gigi, cool blue, removing cuticle etc.

I spose it boils down to where you've trained, and how good their standards were and if you've got pound signs under your nose and thought......i can skip the sanitise bit and i can skip the prep i'll just wack over with a 100 grit file that will get rid of the cuticle.

I'm happy with my treatments and my clients have confidence in my ability (i think:green: lol)

I talk them through the proceedure and after care as well as general chit chat.

I think.....SET STANDARDS/GUIDELINES have to come into play across the board with every supplier to make sure basic but important things are included in training out no matter WHAT system What supplier.

Amb xx

i have had clients that say that the other nail techs they have been to DONT do this or that, and they end up losing nails, one of the clients said her nails came off within 3 days, i always use cool blue, cuticle remover, scrub fresh etc, and make sure my prep is up to standard, and then some, at least I KNOW i have performed my service correctly, and i dont (or very very rarely) get any lifting. in my eyes, cutting back isnt saving money, it costs more, as you will end up having to either replace nails free of charge, or lose the client.

I found this not so long ago when I finished my Essential Nails L&P Course I decided to go and have my nails done at a hair salon not far from me and I couldn't believe how different she did things.

First she never asked me to wash my hands, never sanitized them,didn't use any cuticle remover or softener and through out the service she didn't use any kind of sanitizer at all!

One thing I couldn't understand was she seemed to use files and buffers that had been used before the white buffer was yellow, I know I am new to the business but I always use new files and buffers and am always sanitizing.
She was Creative trained in Aberdeen so I look forward to see if this is what she was taught as I start my Foundation course in Aberdeen on the 10th of April.:hug:

I too get comments of "why are you doing that? My last technician didn't do that". My clients appreciate the fact that I'm always able to fully answer their questions about why I do their nails the way that I do (the full Creative process).

Yes I still take just over 2 hours to do a full set but I have clients coming back to me with very little lifting or no lifting at all - worth the time spent on them I think! And they also come back because they know I am very interested in client care.

I say a big fat no to cutting corners!

Sal said:
I too get comments of "why are you doing that? My last technician didn't do that". My clients appreciate the fact that I'm always able to fully answer their questions about why I do their nails the way that I do (the full Creative process).

Yes I still take just over 2 hours to do a full set but I have clients coming back to me with very little lifting or no lifting at all - worth the time spent on them I think! And they also come back because they know I am very interested in client care.

Hey Sal how spooky is this

By coincidence Sal and I had a chat about this last night at the WYGM as I still am shocked at how many clients I pick up from established salons using the same products as my self that dont use cool blue or cuticle remover - why I ask my self - cuticule remover is one of the cheapest products onthe market - for goodness sake!

The last salon in question has been trading over 5 years and this client had been going there for 4 years and she'd never had her true cuticle removed - just had her nail filed away!

People might not always respect the mobile service but i think i provide a superior service to quite a few of my competitors even though they have the luxury of a salon!

PS great thread

I think this is all too true. I have a real interst in nails and very shortly I am going to do my training. Past techs I have been to carry out NO prep at all, Im surprised the nails stayed on!! I always wondered why I had sidewall lifting within a few days. Last year I went to the last tech before deciding to do the training for myself. This tech actually was very good and the nails never lifted at the sidewalls at all, I was so surprised...what products did she use.... CREATIVE. But still there was no removal of any cuticle done, and I have never had this done at all at previous salons..why? I dont know.
Gigi is so right most clients now are aware what prep work should be and it is expected. I was always concerned with this as I have unbelievable quick growing cuticle.
One thing I have noticed though is how many techs on here do things the RIGHT way so its not whats being taught or not taught, maybe its to save a few pennies?? whatever the reason I hope that anyone reading this thread that doesnt carry out the correct prep procedures is risking losing clients and perhaps nails that arent as fantastic as they could be.
I just wanted to add to this subject, although Im not trained as yet, I understand the importance of this. ; )

in the past I admit to having taken short cuts to save money - ie using cheap files and buffers or tips etc and where did it get me, absolutley nowhere, files lost their grit faster so had to be replaced more often and tips wouldnt go the distance.

So now I stick to the tried and tested procedures that I have been taught, no short cuts for me and after my conversion to creative I realsied that although I had thought my prep was good I was so wrong and the lifting I had accepted as normal was all but eliminated.

I do have a few products that I use that are not creative, but I do not use them to cut costs I use them coz they work for me.

i think short cutters do actually learn the hard way that to be trained in a sytem and to skip certan procedures leaves un-superior nails, surely because of this clients will and do go somewhere else.
if because of this the nail technician realises that each step and stage of enhancing or even applying enamel there is a reason for these steps, they then think yes they do need to fully comply with system requirements they are going to find it hard getting clients to return to them, so i think nail technicians need to carry out full procedures and steps from the very first time then in turn will have a happy stream of loyal clients.
companies dont introduce procedures, steps and products for fun, it is done because each thing has an important job in its own right to creat a good service.

Cutting corners is a false economy. For example, you cut out proper prep on a full set and you have loads of lifting to contend with at infills which takes time to remove, and money to replace with the extra product.

I have known of all sorts of malpractices. Leaving a larger gap at the cuticle for nail biters so when they come back for their weekly fill it makes it look as though their nails have grwon loads. Telling clients to really rub the cuticle into the cuticles to stimulate them to grow faster so a client has to come back more regularly. Making a client have a soak off and new set rahter than a rebalance because it's more cost effective for the salon. Refilling the bottles of handcream for manicures with Vaseline intensive care ETC ETC Frankly it's unreal and out of order!

This is an absolute wicked post!!! I love it!
I have to admit that i have been known to cut a corner......i have a dreadful habit of using topcoat to give a glossy look....not all the time but sometimes if i am running behind. I have made a concious effort lately to buff them to a hi shine and 2 be totally honest it takes me no more time!
But there are so many techs out there that do cut cornerws dramatically, it is amazing the amount of questions i get asked when doing nails...whats that for etc.
one only the other day was no scrubfresh or similar.......whats all that about!
Anither one was applying resin to lifting to seal it back down
great thread i will watch this one with interest

Sal said:

I don't do creative, but I hear what you are saying loud and clear. YES, I look for more affordable products and perhaps I dont use the most popular/pricier ones around. BUT I never take shortcuts. I take care of the cuticle as it should be done, new files/buffers/sanding bands for every client, new towel, everything is sanitized and disinfected repeatedly for the appropriate duration. I have multiple cuticle pushers so that one is always available and disinfected properly when I move onto the next client while another soaks. My work station is cleaned between every client. They have a sanitizer gel on their side of the table and I have one on mine where I can easily reach it. If I get an itchy nose, I use my own hand towel and dont touch my face or hair during the service.
I have antiseptic that I use liberally on my clients nail plates, and my dehydrator/nail cleanz. They take their files home with them.

I'm often asked, why this, why that, how come so long.
Same answer all the time, "this is how it SHOULD be done and WHY".
After the explanation of the difference between me and local discount/nss (in my town, they are one and the same), they no longer complain about the duration and are thankful that I take the time to do their nails PROPERLY and SAFELY.

Lift?
What lift? I haven't seen any since I first started using uv gel with only one exception (a thyroid client on a multitude of meds, who's also a vegetarian & often in her hottub/spa).

There is no such thing as a 'good' shortcut in my opinion.

I think the corner most people must cut is client consultation!!! Nearly every one of my new clients that has had nails done elsewhere has never had a consultation filled out! I tell them I need to take some details, start with name, address, date of birth..... by the time I get to occupation you can GUARANTEE they'll say.......'why do you want to know all this?? No-one else has ever asked me'........ :evil: :grr: :grr:

thats before we've even got to the sanitising or cuticle remover!

Aspirations said:
I think the corner most people must cut is client consultation!!! Nearly every one of my new clients that has had nails done elsewhere has never had a consultation filled out! I tell them I need to take some details, start with name, address, date of birth..... by the time I get to occupation you can GUARANTEE they'll say.......'why do you want to know all this?? No-one else has ever asked me'........ :evil: :grr: :grr:

thats before we've even got to the sanitising or cuticle remover!
You are spot on Sherrie! I know it adds extra time doing a proper consultation but without my client record cards I would be lost. They are vital for me in being prepared for my client and recording what treatments each client has had just as much as they are vital for insurance purposes.

This is a very good thread and one that I think everyone should read.

Im only new to the industry but I think that cutting corners for what ever reason be it money or time is a bad idea and could cost you more in the long run. I make sure that I follow the "routine" I was trained with to the letter to make sure that my clients take me seriously and that they feel confident in me and the work I produce. I also make sure that I use good quality products, im not worried about the cost I feel happy knowing that the prodcuts I use are going to help create fantastic nails!

I know as a client I want to have a nail technician that follows all the correct routine and that does everything correctly.

I know that I follow my Creative training by the book - because it WORKS!

Before i did my creative training my nails weren't always perfect.:!:

Since my Creative L & P I have NO PROBLEMS whatso ever, this is beacuse i follow it to the letter. Why spend out hundreds of pounds & not use the valuable lessons taught? If the Creative methods didn't work, they wouldn't bother teaching them!!

I am often asked why i fill out a client consultaion & i ask them to sign it. Lots of new clients ask 'what's that your doing (applying cuticle remover)', or 'I've never had that done before - your very thorough!'. This is all part of being a Professional in this industry IMO and treating my nail business as my profession as in another thread recently and doing the job properly.

This is such a good thread.

I totally agree with most of the comments made on here.

Most of my new clients ask why I am using cuticle remover, how come I keep changing my desk towels so often, most of them have never had a client consultation before and I take great pleasure in showing them how it should be done.

One client even came to me with terrible fungal infection on her nails and was most impressed when I said I wouldn't touch her nails until she had seen a doctor first and even then would only do so if the doctor wrote a letter saying it was ok for her to have treatment.

This client was so pleased she referred one of her friends to me immediately.

The only short cut I take is applying a u.v. top coat, and that is because my clients ask for it.

When my clients chip a single nail, they are most impressed when I bring out my Creative Forms and sculpt and repair a chip. They have never seen this before.

And not one of my clients complains at my prices, so I must be doing something right. I charge the serious prices because I am serious about my nail career and do serious nails xx

Fantatic thread Gigi - what is a real shame though is that potetial clients don't get to read things like this. As you say lots of them will notice if you do things that haven't been done before but how do we educate the ones that have not been to one of us techs who doesn't cut corners.

I wouldn't dream of cutting corners for any reason - this is bad client care and anyone who does cut corners will end up with more work to do in the long run (that's if they're lucky enough to have the client come back when all their nails have lifted!)

This is a subject I could go on about for ages but I think I've said enough for now! xx

Latest posts

Back