Advice for daughter's ear piercing please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
My eldest wants her ears pierced (she's 11).

Would you recommend one ear at a time or two therapists doing both together?

I'd quite like some sort of "freezing" technique to be used so it doesn't hurt as much - is anything usually applied or would it be ok to sit in the car with an ice block on the ear to numb it lol? (Actually I'm serious!)

Any ideas how much it should cost including some gold but fairly basic earrings?

All help welcome please xx

Could you use some of that painless bikini wax cream?

Hvnt tried it but seems to have really good reviews...May work on ears lol

hiya
my daughter - twice (and son!) have had their ears pierced at Claires - i don't think you can beat it. Hygiene, procedure all A1. They don't numb it but they do the two ears together and its over in a flash!
i pinched my kids ears prior so they knew how it would hurt! (actually my son's ear was red when we arrived where i kept teasing him before we got there:eek:.)
there is a range of prices according to type of earring - and includes the aftercare lotion.
hth

hi im qualified ear piercing before i do a child under the age of 18 i would require a letter of consent and for the parent to sign a health and safety treatment book which if required by the the local health and safety reps to take with them due to regulations i charge 10.00 per treatment for sterilized gold/birth stoned studs then i give child a certificate the sensation resembles a pinch or scratch i recommend cleaning with salt water nightly and turning the ear ring daily or when required and i do one ear at a time :hug:

I HIGHLY reccomend NOT getting their ears peirced at Claires, or anywhere that uses one of those plastic guns. They shove a very blunt object threw cartiledge, does that sound like a good idea? it shatters the cells, which can cause keloids, not to mention there is NO way to sanitize all the peices of the gun, it is quite possible to catch blood borne pathogens. The only safe way to do peircings is with a brand new needle, its sharp and makes a nice little "tunnel" threw the cells, called a fistula, and is thrown out after, a new one for each client.

hiya
my daughter - twice (and son!) have had their ears pierced at Claires - i don't think you can beat it. Hygiene, procedure all A1. They don't numb it but they do the two ears together and its over in a flash!
i pinched my kids ears prior so they knew how it would hurt! (actually my son's ear was red when we arrived where i kept teasing him before we got there:eek:.)
there is a range of prices according to type of earring - and includes the aftercare lotion.
hth

I agree, I had my daughters done whilst in america in Claire's the hygiene was amazing, (wasnt a plastic gun, was a new needle used each time) , they did both ears together, she chose birthstone earings and inc in the price was a huge bottle of aftercare lotion, If they are under 16 you do have to sign a consent form and they give you an aftercare advice booklet etc, think it cost $30 (about £15?) she did pick more expensive earings though it started at about £10 I think

I've had my ears pierced 3 times, the first time at a local beauty salon when I was 12 years old, the second time at Claires when I was about 16, and the third time at a friend's mum's salon when I was 19. I have to say, none of them were particularly harrowing experiences!! They were all absolutely fine, and the first time when I was 12, I didn't even feel any pain!! (I don't even remember hearing the piercing gun actually).

I thought Claires was good hygiene wise, however, I don't like the fact that most Claires staff pierce you while you're sitting in the front window of the shop!! I had a crowd of foreign students watching me, waiting for me to scream...and when I didn't after the first ear, they all walked away, very disappointed! I wouldn't go there again, unless I knew I was going to be in a seperate room.

If you are relaxed with her when you take her in, and don't get her too wound up about potential pain, I'm sure she will be fine. Then it's just a case of taking care of the piercings afterwards, but as most people have said, most places provide some sort of solution for you to take away with you.

I had my daughthers done at Claires a couple of months ago and I cannot fault them, the lady that did them was great. Although she was the only person there who could do it so we had to do one at a time ,which was not a good experience for my daughter (shes 4), after the first one she point blankly refused to let us do the other one. It took us an hour and a half to convince her to do the other one and we had to trick her in the end lol (Im cruel I know :))
It cost £25 :eek: but we had to use certain earrings as she has eczema. That also included a big bottle of cleaning solution.
Stacy

never had any horror story problems with mine ..ive had my ears done since i was 12(twice)many years ago when it was something like 3 quid lol but my nose was done by a professional body peircer & tattooist about 8 years ago cleansed my the side of the facial skin medically he was working on & he didn't freeze my nose and used a needle(much better than the gun)& popped the surgical steel diamond stud in ..didn't feel anything at all and done in a flash ...5 secs to be precise but his hygenie standards are top marks ..he scrubbed his hands & wore gloves ..did this in my pressence.. afterwards he gave me a anti bacterial tonic to take home.never had any problems at all with the needle method and he threw away the needle afterwards.cost me 20 pounds you don't even see the hole with the needle method.

Last edited:
I HIGHLY reccomend NOT getting their ears peirced at Claires, or anywhere that uses one of those plastic guns. They shove a very blunt object threw cartiledge, does that sound like a good idea? it shatters the cells, which can cause keloids, not to mention there is NO way to sanitize all the peices of the gun, it is quite possible to catch blood borne pathogens. The only safe way to do peircings is with a brand new needle, its sharp and makes a nice little "tunnel" threw the cells, called a fistula, and is thrown out after, a new one for each client.

I thought the earlobe was fleshy non cartlidge, I knew further up becomes more of an issue but never realised that about the actual fleshy part.

My twins both had their ears pierced, the first time quite young (I said something assuming they would forget and they didn't :rolleyes: ) They were done with the gun type thing and neither had any pain at all, they did jump when it clicked as it fired though :lol: They both went on to want second holes done which I eventually allowed years later but as they had been asking from the day they had the first ones done I'm assuming they'd found the whole thing quick and painless. :hug:

I cant understand why people get childrens ears pierced 4 years old i think its hideous just just my op. Im going to go on a course in august to do it but i wont be carrying the treatment out on anyone under 10.

My daughter has been plaguing me to have her ears pierced for about 2 years since her cousin had hers done (at Claires - didn't hurt - no problems since). My daughter is 7. I think I had my ears pierced when I was about 3 in a hairdressers (but that was many, many years ago and I don't remember anything much past last week, lol!

I've been putting her off and putting her off but I now think as she is still going on about it now, I've told her she can have it done at the start of the summer holidays. My problem is I don't want it done at Claire's, so anyone who is qualified on her who lives near Gosport, and can do it at the end of July, please pm me here :)

I don't think my daughter is too young at 7 to have her ears done, I do however think it is down to the parent as to whether they think their child is mature enough to cope with the cleansing and aftercare. That said, I also don't think it looks good on very young babies and children so if I were to foray into the world of peircing (which won't be anytime in my life!) I wouldn't do it on children under the age of 5, just because I don't think it looks nice. JMO

XX

i'm studex and caflon trained ..but i would never peirce the ears or cartilage of any one under 10 yrs old..my son was same i kept putting it off now he's turned 18 he has 2 ear peircings for his b\day.tbo i don't peirce the cartilage anyway as that part of the ear is more prone to infections(ive seen a few bad bits of ear loss) than the lobes

adding on>>i suppose it's just incase i hurt them sort of issue i have with not peircing kids ears ..i'm quite confident at doing them ..it's the screaming that would put me off. but i do agree BB decide for oneself.

Last edited:
I cant understand why people get childrens ears pierced 4 years old i think its hideous just just my op. Im going to go on a course in august to do it but i wont be carrying the treatment out on anyone under 10.

I was 5 when my ears were pierced, my twins were the same age. I'm just curious why the age limit, is that because you dont like it personally or because there is an insurance issue? I guess either way it's taking Blossom's topic of kilter (sorry Blossom :hug: )

Where's Claire's is concerned, I had my own second set done at Claire's and they were great with aftercare advice and lotion, good hygeine as well.

Hi there,
I have read others feedback and I think you should just decide for yourself. I am qualified to pierce ears and I pierced my son's ears (3 and 6 years old). They felt a little pain and cried but once they saw their ears in the mirrow they smiled from ear to ear. I put the solution on their ears and twisted the earing and after a while it heeled up completely. :)

the lobe area used IS NOT cartilage just flesh.
the earring post is actually a sharp object that is pushed through the lobe flesh and the only object that touches the skin. It is opened in front of you from a single use package - so no worries re: cleanliness.

Last edited:
I got my daughters ears pierced at Claire's.. the staff were fantastic, they did ask if I wanted two members of staff to do an ear each but I refused as I was worried about wonky earings.

I agree with 1999judy and jumpy clients as its a shock when the first ear has been pierced.

hth
Sue :)

I think the Claire's staff near us must be badly trained. Out of my daughters friends who have had it done at Claire's they have all (3 girls) been extremely miss matched, with one girls almost hanging off the bottom of her ear lobe! Not good.:irked:

Unfortunately it DOES hurt having your ears pierced and the problem is that once you have pierced the first ear whether its a baby or 12 year old they are a bit reluctant to let you do the other one.
Bribery and a lot of talking has done it for me in the past.
I AM piercing my daughters ears as soon as school finishes this year.....she's 7 and I've pierced the majority of her friends ears....but last year I nearly had her in a headlock, YES I know it's bad but she DOES want it doing lol
And I have the PERFECT earrings for my baby.....
I BET she won't let me do it yet again lol

Latest posts

Back