An idea, Pics to show thickness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Sandi!:Kissing:

You're a real trouper! Sorry you lost a nice natural nail. But as you told me, you can grow it back.:wink2:

When I compared yours to Tracey's, by resizing the pics so the size of the fingers matched, they 'seem' to be the same depth at the area of the apex, if you follow what I mean. Yours seemed not much thinner, but it was a bit.

I think the biggest difference was due to yours being almond and hers were square. Maybe this affects the look as well? Of the lopped-off nail?
Also, yours were more tapered at the sides, filed a little more flushly.
At least, so it seemed.

Ok, so my question to everyone is:

Is this our goal? Or does it vary, tech to tech?
And should the sides be tapered as much as that? Or left with a bit more?

I was under the impression filed flush to the nail, is how it should be done at the sides. Am I wrong?

Thanks again Tracey & Sandi!! You gals are great!:hug: :hug: :hug:

I believe mine is in between Tracey's and Sandi's (on my clients, that is)
On myself, I KNOW it's much thinner. I'm a freak. I don't break nails :lol:

Interested in hearing what everyone has to say.
:green:

the before nail looks nice and thin, so hard to tell really without others to show

I agree with this statement. The before pic looks nice and thin but the after shot looks really thick, almost like a completely different nail !!

But maybe this is all part of the illusion. More thickness at the apex and tapered towards zone 1. Overall appearance, a nice sleek nail .....

Marlise

I think the biggest difference was due to yours being almond and hers were square. Maybe this affects the look as well? Of the lopped-off nail?
Also, yours were more tapered at the sides, filed a little more flushly.
At least, so it seemed.
I always try to get the gel as flush with the natural nail as possible without compromising strength, sometimes I go a bit 'too' flush and end up with a breakage at the sidewall of the free edge, it's a fine line IMO between leaving it too thick and making it thin enough.

I was under the impression filed flush to the nail, is how it should be done at the sides. Am I wrong?
This is what I aim for in every set I do, it also depends on whose nails I'm working on and what shape they have them, if my client has more square shaped nails then I find they don't need to be filed as flush, if they're almond/stiletto then they have to be filed flush otherwise the form and look of the nail isn't right.

It's good to know I'm not too far off then! Thanks ladies. I'm still new to this so that was a nice little boost:hug:

It was lopped off l&p but I do tend to do my own a tad thicker. I have a very high arch on my nail that comes out straight for about 3mm then goes downhill fast, so I have to fill the apex area to make it look right (does that make sense?). So that pic was prob not the best example! But couldn't bear to see Victoria waiting any longer after all her fab work over xmas!

And huge thanks to Sandi for sharing the shame in exposing our hyponichiums!:hug:

Just want to say...

...the pictures were very helpful.. well done ladies... :hug:

Thanks ladies!!
aj

This is a really help full thread for me as I was never quite sure about the thickness. Thanks lady's

great pics ladies, thanks for showing them.
I would think the thickness would be determined by the shape of the free edge, when you do a more square shape you don't have to taper in the side walls as much but to make a almond/stiletto have the right shape and form you do, I wear mine in a almond shape and do find I chip the edges a little from time to time, I guess I've filed them to much in this area !!

this is a great thread and very helpful , good idea victoria xx

Just noticed this on another thread and think its a great thread for all to see:)

I know that at the time, it helped me HEAPS...It cleared up a LOT for me.
Particularly since courses here are abysmal, and I couldn't very well 'fly' for a one-to-one with Gigi LOL
(I even saved the pics to my Theory file on my pc..)

Thanks again for all who contributed!!!

Ok, I done one out of interest! Not sure if its too thick or thin (maybe a more experienced geek could let us know please) but they rarely break and if they do they dont hurt.
View attachment 3599Before lopping
View attachment 3600After lopping

Mine would look exactly like this one :) Stilettos are 1.5 or ever 2 times thicker. I do not have a picture though :) Again, depends on length too.

Great revival thread - interesting and helpful.

I had to look this up for a friend... gotta say these are STILL great pics and very helpful

Thanks Tracey! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

So, you vet geeks....too thick? or just right? Or what?

See, on my own hands, I know it's much thinner. I'm not a nail breaker, I wore enhancements for a few years. Then had my own nails. Then had meds that made my nails too pliable and they'd tear right off, rather than break.
So back to enhancements.
I know mine are thinner than my clients, in that area.
BUT AGAIN, I'm not a nail breaker. Keep in mind, I'm rough on my hands (at least I think I am, and in the last couple of years, the only ones I've broken were when I fell down the stairs and when I tried stilletoes for the first time. Zero breaks, zero cracks. No kidding)

But what I wonder to myself is: should my clients be as thin as mine, or more like the pic above? Somewhere in the middle?

You say "Then had meds that made my nails too pliable and they'd tear right off, rather than break."

Could I ask what sort of meds would do this Victoria?

You say "Then had meds that made my nails too pliable and they'd tear right off, rather than break."

Could I ask what sort of meds would do this Victoria?

I 'assume' meds....nothing else changed....
for my Raynauds disease (arthritis & circulatory issues, vaso-dilators...)
But after the kids, didn't seem to need them as much (guess the increase in blood flow during pregnancy dilated the vessels?) so dr took me off the dilators and some other thing. Now only on aspirin every day, and celebrex when athritis is really outta hand.
BUT suspect at my next appointment.... he may put me on some again, everything's kicking up again (age? I'm 41 now, had first daughter at 30).

I 'assume' meds....nothing else changed....
for my Raynauds disease (arthritis & circulatory issues, vaso-dilators...)
But after the kids, didn't seem to need them as much (guess the increase in blood flow during pregnancy dilated the vessels?) so dr took me off the dilators and some other thing. Now only on aspirin every day, and celebrex when athritis is really outta hand.
BUT suspect at my next appointment.... he may put me on some again, everything's kicking up again (age? I'm 41 now, had first daughter at 30).

Thank you for sharing. I find clients on hormone tablets often make their hair change.

Sorry to hear it's starting again, no fun getting older is it.
The mind is willing but the body isn't. I used to be able to do 10 hour days hairdressing without a break but not any more :-(

Mind you, that is why I started doing nails 6 years ago so I could change position & I haven't looked back.

Latest posts

Back