Atro Shuss Spelling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to strongly agree with Carl.
While I make errors just as much as the next person (Though these days, more often than not since I changed keyboards and this one is smaller ARRRGHHH:irked:) and I appreciate that for some english is not their first language...
I often see that those for whom it's their first or second language make far more effort and far more sense than those for whom it's their first.

Since on this forum, we are represented by the written word, and how we are percieved is through the interpretation of our written words by other people; the manner in which we express ourselves is important.
If we want to be taken seriously, and with respect, and to be pereceived as intelligent; THEN shouldn't we not express ourselves that way?

:hug:

(ps: still stunned and still laughing about peter north LOL)

can i just say that the one word that always makes me cringe because of the way some people spell it is......TONGUE......hardly anyone ever seems to spell it correctly :confused:

just one of those words i suppose.....lol

stanleyann

I have to admit to not being the best at spelling. I do try and I do use spell check after every post, there is not much more I can do but that and I think thats what this thread was about.

Trying to post as best you can.

Oh lighten up Nailzoo............I was only joking. Take a chill pill. :rolleyes:

Hi geeks
well I'm not to good at spellings at times but this does not make me a bad person or mean my clients would rather go to a therapist that could spell better than me, my client are very happy and my leaflets are done at the printers so if its wrong its his fault not mine lol.
any way i have downloaded the spell checker so i dont offend any one,
Tracy x

PS just used the spell checker.

All right.
I am one of the people here that do not have English as their first language... I have to say I find it very strange that so many people that do have it have so many problems with spelling!
Honestly, I find it really hard to read some of the posts, just because I can't make out the words!
Please, please, use the spell checker!
Thank you, Carl, for the thread!

What about those of us who have dyslexia and dont know which word is wright when you look at the spell check?????:confused::)

Hi there,

I have to agree with Nailzoo here. I know I make mistakes with spelling but I do take the time to re-read my posts, and some of the spelling is atrocious. If you can't take the time to re-read a post you have written (wrote? ;-)) then how do I know what else you can't be bothered with? What about your literature? Does that have mistakes too? I know some people have a problem with spelling (and grammer it seems), and don't always know when a word is spelt incorrectly as it may be in the wrong context (there, their, they're) but as Nailzoo said, there is a spellchecker so at least that can be correct.

Sorry, but this is something I feel strongly about too, I went back to school to get extra grades in English and feel it's a waste if I don't use it, unfortunately it isn't just on this forum either.

Lot of love :)

Sarah. xx

What about those of us who have dyslexia and dont know which word is wright when you look at the spell check?????:confused::)

Well, if it makes you feel better it's never been obvious to me that you have dyslexia! What this thread is trying to do is encourage people to think a bit before they post and to try to spell as well as they can for the benefit of everyone - it's not to put anyone down or point any fingers. For a dyslexic reading a thread it will surely help if things are spelt correctly?

I find a post with an occasional spelling mistake easier than posts filled with text talk...... Don't sweat it - no-one is going to have a go because you get a word here and there wrong...... :hug:

Thanks vetty yeh i have it mildly it usualy is not a problem when on the computer but give me a list of words and tell me to pick the wright way to spell it (not going to happen!!!) Get very confused!! so far no client or employer has had any problems with me infact my old boss had it too....in colleges now there are so much help for it if you ask infact they screened my whole class for it to see who would need help. Hope that this proves that bad spelling and grammer can be a real problem for some dont want to go back to the dark ages where dyslesics were cained and told they were stipid and lazy!!!!! :hug:

I never spell my first name with a capital. It's my choice because my parents adopted a child and called her Lynne, but her birth mother took her back during the court hearing to finalise the adoption. My adoptive parents were devastated and asked Social Services to provide them with another one as soon as possible, didn't care about the details just as long as they were white and female. I had just been taken into care so they got me. They decided to call me lynne because they missed the other baby so much. So, not only was I a second hand child but I got a second hand name. It does not deserve a capital.

When People Capitalise The First Letter Of Every Word Like This It Hurts My Eyes!

And surely it takes a lot longer to type a sentence like this? Sorry, just my bete noir!

i just downloaded the spell checker.......wasnt able to do it before now but i found another site to get it from.i really didn't think i was that bad until i did it on my last post; i was gob smacked, i am so embarrassed.
You should know i made sure i did it on this post before it was posted to the thread!!!

I too have dyslexia and my spelling can get mixed up.

I think some of the people on here really need to chill and start worrying about more important things in life. I'm not saying this topic is bad infact the opposite i'm supporting it as i don't think people should be lazy when writing, typing or working but we must remember it's not always deliberate!

Also pm'ing someone to tell them to left justify there text instead of centre is irritating to me. With my dyslexia i read things better when it is centred as it's not just straight lines but i was told to stop this.

According to this site i have to type centred so i can read it then justify it all left and spell check it! Is it worth even posting?

Lets all just try and accommodate one another and only take action whn u gt slly psts.

xxx

When People Capitalise The First Letter Of Every Word Like This It Hurts My Eyes!

And surely it takes a lot longer to type a sentence like this? Sorry, just my bete noir!

It makes it much harder to read and couple that sometimes with a lack of punctuation and its a nightmare. There's been posts I ended up taking a stab in the dark at what was meant :lol:

I never spell my first name with a capital. It's my choice because my parents adopted a child and called her Lynne, but her birth mother took her back during the court hearing to finalise the adoption. My adoptive parents were devastated and asked Social Services to provide them with another one as soon as possible, didn't care about the details just as long as they were white and female. I had just been taken into care so they got me. They decided to call me lynne because they missed the other baby so much. So, not only was I a second hand child but I got a second hand name. It does not deserve a capital.

This is probably totally off topic but it is an incredibly sad story...:hug: for you lynne...I am sure you are a 'CAPITAL' in every way xxxxxxxxxxx

Spelling is my pet hate...and I am known on rare occasions to incorrectly spell words. I never admit to it though...it is always my computer/pen's fault...never ever mine, heaven forbid :eek:

I don't have spellcheck...I just make sure I re-read my posts and edit if I see a mistake.

I am not anal about it though on places like this.... in such a global society we can't be....I just take each post for what it is.

As for those who do not have English as a first language I am just amazed at how well they write never mind spell !!!! I have to smile when they apologise for their lack of English skills and spelling.... if only we were able to read/write/speak their language!!!!???!!!!!

Also pm'ing someone to tell them to left justify there text instead of centre is irritating to me. With my dyslexia i read things better when it is centred as it's not just straight lines but i was told to stop this.

According to this site i have to type centred so i can read it then justify it all left and spell check it! Is it worth even posting?
You haven't been asked to left align your text by a moderator so I would just ignore it.

There aren't any rules on this site to say that all text should be left aligned, carry on doing what you were doing :green:

You haven't been asked to left align your text by a moderator so I would just ignore it.

There aren't any rules on this site to say that all text should be left aligned, carry on doing what you were doing :green:

Actually i was led to believe she was a moderator i had to delete the mail due to space but if i find her name i will pm you it!

I might align text in the middle and make all most posts in yellow.
But I think i'll still try and spell
Perhaps i'll even use a smaller font next time.
:eek:

I might align text in the middle and make all most posts in yellow.

But I think i'll still try and spell

Perhaps i'll even use a smaller font next time.
:eek:

OMG....please dont use a smaller font next time....!!!!

Latest posts

Back