avoiding wax contamination.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
I was wondering how waxing was now being taught by the different colleges in respect of wax contamination.obviously new client new spatula cleanse area etc but if you are doing a bikini line or underarm are you supposed to only dip in the pot once and then change the spatula.I do do this if someone bleeds or if i am in a very intimate area but i wasn't taught to do this just using common sense really but just wondered what the practices are now.I learnt in 1980 and that was with hot wax which we reused by straining through a pair of tights can you believe.How things have changed.

Although there will be many replys on this subject!..
check the habia website....

Habia

Whilst not compulsory...the new guidelines and ethics would be well worth folowing. Im doing my utmost!
your clients need to know you are serious about your work.

I agree...
not that I try to catch people out....but I went for a half leg wax recently and found the standard of practice to be less than desirable...and yes....
Im old enough to remember the wax filtration system!!!!!

I am also a one spat waxer!!!!!

:)

i was taught to dip the spatula only once, apply wax and then get a new spatula and dip again. it seems a bit wasteful i suppose, but its the best way if you dont want to compromise hygiene.

i'd hate to think i was having the same wax on my face that had been in contact with someone elses bikini [or any other part ]:irked:

At our college we are taught to use the drizzle method where you use two spatulas, one is used to dip in the wax pot and you then drizzle the wax onto another clean spatula which is then used on the skin. No spatulas that have been in contact with a client are ever dipped in the pot and obviously fresh spatulas are used with each client hth:)

i was taught to dip the spatula only once, apply wax and then get a new spatula and dip again. it seems a bit wasteful i suppose, but its the best way if you dont want to compromise hygiene.

i'd hate to think i was having the same wax on my face that had been in contact with someone elses bikini [or any other part ]:irked:

So do you do this even on legs or just certain areas

for all areas.:)
Well i'm enlightened.I use clean and easy mainly anyway but will have to change my workpractices if i go back to pot and spatula.
Thanks

So do you do this even on legs or just certain areas
I would suggest using a Clean and Easy roller wax system.It saves flaffing around with dribbling wax and changing spatulas.It is so easy,you clean the head in between each and every client thus avoiding contamination.

The head is especially designed so that the wax cannot go back up into the cartridge,so avoiding your unused wax being contaminated.HTH

Ooops,you already posted that you use Clean and Easy,whilst I was typing this out,LOL

I would suggest using a Clean and Easy roller wax system.It saves flaffing around with dribbling wax and changing spatulas.It is so easy,you clean the head in between each and every client thus avoiding contamination.

The head is especially designed so that the wax cannot go back up into the cartridge,so avoiding your unused wax being contaminated.HTH

Ooops,you already posted that you use Clean and Easy,whilst I was typing this out,LOL

Yep thats exactly what i do ,i love my clean and easy...Thanks

I'm just curious as to what it is you are worried about contaminating your wax pot?

but I went for a half leg wax recently and found the standard of practice to be less than desirable

Hi,

Would you mind telling us that they did or didn't do that you found was less than desirable ?

I'm not asking you to name any names etc, just curious to hear what happened ....

Marlise

Hi,

Would you mind telling us that they did or didn't do that you found was less than desirable ?

I'm not asking you to name any names etc, just curious to hear what happened ....

Marlise

No client record card....repeated dipping into a less than clean wax pot....

perhaps Im just too fussy??

At our college we are taught to use the drizzle method where you use two spatulas, one is used to dip in the wax pot and you then drizzle the wax onto another clean spatula which is then used on the skin. No spatulas that have been in contact with a client are ever dipped in the pot and obviously fresh spatulas are used with each client hth:)

PhD Waxing System from Ellisons

I haven't used the wax pot since college and we weren't taught the drizzle method but it sounds a good way to me to avoid cross contamination. See the above link about Captain Contamination !!

PhD Waxing System from Ellisons

I haven't used the wax pot since college and we weren't taught the drizzle method but it sounds a good way to me to avoid cross contamination. See the above link about Captain Contamination !!

I have tried the J-pod from the Phd wax range and I was concerned about how much product is needed for each treatment.

Unless I was doing something wrong I was using almost a whole tube for half a leg wax. It was really difficult to get the last bit out of the tube and my thumbs were wrecking by the time I had finished trying to squeeze the last drop out.

Please advise if I can do anything different to improve this or if there is a better technique.

I have tried the J-pod from the Phd wax range and I was concerned about how much product is needed for each treatment.

Unless I was doing something wrong I was using almost a whole tube for half a leg wax. It was really difficult to get the last bit out of the tube and my thumbs were wrecking by the time I had finished trying to squeeze the last drop out.

Please advise if I can do anything different to improve this or if there is a better technique.

I was exactly the same, i even did the training but still ended up with loads of wastage so i changed to the Australian Bodycare wax system and it suits me perfectly.

I think this is because the wax is creme so it seems to flow much better. If you still have the j-pod the abc wax tubes should fit in them (they fit in the full size phd heater) so you only have to buy the tubes not the whole package :) x

I was exactly the same, i even did the training but still ended up with loads of wastage so i changed to the Australian Bodycare wax system and it suits me perfectly.

I think this is because the wax is creme so it seems to flow much better. If you still have the j-pod the abc wax tubes should fit in them (they fit in the full size phd heater) so you only have to buy the tubes not the whole package :) x

thanks juliette

Have been look at the info on the ABC system but was worried in case it was no different than the Phd.

How much is the ABC system to start up as I do feel that using a complete professional package looks better in front of the clients.

How much do you get out of the ABC tubes and why is it different than the Phd one?

thanks juliette

Have been look at the info on the ABC system but was worried in case it was no different than the Phd.

How much is the ABC system to start up as I do feel that using a complete professional package looks better in front of the clients.

How much do you get out of the ABC tubes and why is it different than the Phd one?

I use the whole tube, theres always a little bit left but i squeeze that out for facial waxing.

Im not sure of the start up cost as i bought everything seperatley as being mobile there were certain things i didn't need in the kit.

Hava a look at Australian Bodycare Home this will give you a list of the suppliers for your area.

I'm just curious as to what it is you are worried about contaminating your wax pot?

Well anything that could theoretically be transfered from one client to another:fungalspores,bacteria,viruses etc.

Well anything that could theoretically be transfered from one client to another:fungalspores,bacteria,viruses etc.

Fungal spores and bacteria need water in order to grow. Wax does not contain water. Most viruses don't live outside the human body, and those that do are extremely delicate and require a very particular environment to live in... and that also includes water. And something as simple as cleaning the skin with 70% isopropal will deactivate any culture that may be on the skin in a matter of minutes.

I'm not asking to start a war... I'm just curious, because it amazes me how these things are not taught in school and we all live in such fear of the unknown because we haven't been completly educated.

Fungal spores and bacteria need water in order to grow. Wax does not contain water. Most viruses don't live outside the human body, and those that do are extremely delicate and require a very particular environment to live in... and that also includes water. And something as simple as cleaning the skin with 70% isopropal will deactivate any culture that may be on the skin in a matter of minutes.

I'm not asking to start a war... I'm just curious, because it amazes me how these things are not taught in school and we all live in such fear of the unknown because we haven't been completly educated.

but what about just stuff like skin cells and hair etc, not dangerous, but just a bit yucky :irked: to have someone elses bits floating around in the wax that is used on another.

Latest posts

Back