avoiding wax contamination.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too.

I can't help thinking though that just because bacteria is present does that make it harmful bacteria? I think we need a scientific investigation by a governing body. In fact we need a standard governing body we can ask these questions to and who can enforce standards in all areas of beauty based on facts! but that's a different thread altogether.

• spatulas are never re-dipped into the wax pot after use [e.g. after the spatula has come into contact with the client’s or therapist’s skin. A new spatula should be used every time more wax is required]
  • splashes or spillages of wax are cleaned up immediately after treatment and the wax heater is disinfected
  • hot wax is not sieved and re-heated
  • wax strips are treated as clinical waste
  • personal hygiene is maintained throughout the treatment [which includes wearing disposable gloves].”
This is the method taught for all VTCT waxing qualifications and agrees with the Industry Code of Practice for Hygiene in Salons and Clinics, which all FHT Members receive when joining the Federation.

I have to disagree with this statement.

I did my VTCT Depilation Certificate and we were never taught to only single dip. We were advised to use gloves, but this was never enforced, even when the EV came to assess us.

But then again, it doesn't surprise me as VTCT don't know their elbow from their bum !

Marlise

The thing is with that FHT report was it didn't say that the wax pots that were okay weren't double dipped - and let's face it MOST of them were okay and I have never been to a salon where they don't double dip. So it could just be that the ones that failed had really bad hygiene standards all round. That's the trouble with these reports, they never give the full facts.

Theresa I have the Jpod system as I had heard so many tales of the wax being hard to get out and didn't want to commit to the BIG one util i had tried for myself. I did just over two sets of half legs with no problems on my first go (and I am not an experienced waxer). The trouble is you have to get the tube quite hot and I have heard that this is the trouble, when most people use the PHD system that they just don't get it hot enough. I did get all the wax out with no problems. The tube feels as though the wax is going to be too hot, but it isn't.

I have to disagree with this statement.

I did my VTCT Depilation Certificate and we were never taught to only single dip. We were advised to use gloves, but this was never enforced, even when the EV came to assess us.

But then again, it doesn't surprise me as VTCT don't know their elbow from their bum !

Marlise

I was taught to use the cut out method which is drizzling from one main spatula in the pot to a new one for each client. it's a pain in the bum! It is a VTCT requirement and you should fail if you double dip, so it sounds like your college were at fault.

I was taught to use the cut out method which is drizzling from one main spatula in the pot to a new one for each client. it's a pain in the bum! It is a VTCT requirement and you should fail if you double dip, so it sounds like your college were at fault.

That wouldn't surprise me either ! :lol:

Marlise

Theresa I have the Jpod system as I had heard so many tales of the wax being hard to get out and didn't want to commit to the BIG one util i had tried for myself. I did just over two sets of half legs with no problems on my first go (and I am not an experienced waxer). The trouble is you have to get the tube quite hot and I have heard that this is the trouble, when most people use the PHD system that they just don't get it hot enough. I did get all the wax out with no problems. The tube feels as though the wax is going to be too hot, but it isn't.

Perhaps I will try again with the tube a little hotter this time and see where it gets me.

Me too.

I can't help thinking though that just because bacteria is present does that make it harmful bacteria? I think we need a scientific investigation by a governing body. In fact we need a standard governing body we can ask these questions to and who can enforce standards in all areas of beauty based on facts! but that's a different thread altogether.

Way to go Weezie!! The sooner the better!

thanks to this thread I am questioning even more the future of the traditional pot ans spatula system, but I am having problems in working out which is the better alternative.

I did buy the Phd J pod system a few weeks ago but was disappointed with how few treatments can be achieved out of each tube. Plus it was very hard work to get the bottom half of the wax out.

I am now considering the roller type but am worried as to how difficult it is to clean the roller heads. What experience does others have with this type of system, especially cleaning the roller heads.

Obiously the cost per treatment with the Phd system was alot more so this will affect the prices charged to the customer.

Confused?!?!?!?
I find the clean and easy heads easy to clean you can buy roller head cleaner and i go over them really well when they are hot i always keep a good few new heads in stock.They do tend to split after a time.I also refil the tubes for economy from a carton rather than using new tubes so they work out very economical.I still use spatula and pot for bikini and under arm just because i prefer a cream wax as its cooler for those areas but i should imagine most c and e users do all parts.I particularly like the tiny roller for eyebrows.

I find the clean and easy heads easy to clean you can buy roller head cleaner and i go over them really well when they are hot i always keep a good few new heads in stock.They do tend to split after a time.I also refil the tubes for economy from a carton rather than using new tubes so they work out very economical.I still use spatula and pot for bikini and under arm just because i prefer a cream wax as its cooler for those areas but i should imagine most c and e users do all parts.I particularly like the tiny roller for eyebrows.

Is the clean and easy system not cream based then or not offer cream based wax?

Is the clean and easy system not cream based then or not offer cream based wax?
no i think it would be too thick at the right temp to flow.They do different types though ie azulene and hemp but because i refil the tubes i don't use them.

no i think it would be too thick at the right temp to flow.They do different types though ie azulene and hemp but because i refil the tubes i don't use them.
This is incorrect.You can use cream wax or honey or t-tree.The top up cartons are sold at Sally's amongst other wholesalers.

We use the cream at our salon and the clean and easy rollers work just the same.

This is incorrect.You can use cream wax or honey or t-tree.The top up cartons are sold at Sally's amongst other wholesalers.

We use the cream at our salon and the clean and easy rollers work just the same.
Well youve taught me something ive never tried putting creme wax in them just assumed it wouldn't flow well.I dont think clean and easy actually have a creme wax in their cartridges though ,or do they?

Well youve taught me something ive never tried putting creme wax in them just assumed it wouldn't flow well.I dont think clean and easy actually have a creme wax in their cartridges though ,or do they?
Didn't get any cream with my Clean and Easy kit however that dosn't mean they dont do it.I would see no reason why they wouldn't.It flows the same as any other wax.Never had any problem with cream wax and Clean and Easy system.HTH

Didn't get any cream with my Clean and Easy kit however that dosn't mean they dont do it.I would see no reason why they wouldn't.It flows the same as any other wax.Never had any problem with cream wax and Clean and Easy system.HTH
No i really like it. Initially i was a bit tentative and didnt roll quick enough and it wasn't coming out evenly and was cooling to quickly but now i just wizz straight down the legs and it's excellent.I will have a go and put some creme in it.

What exactly can live in the heated wax pot that can be passed on?Enlighten me please?

HIV and Hepatitis

Ruby

HIV and Hepatitis cannot survive inside a wax pot. Both are extremely delicate viruses that only survive in extremely specific conditions... and that environment must contain water. Wax does not fit into this catagory. And both viruses (if present on the skin ... which is highly doubtful, are killed just by using 70% isopropyl to prep the skin before waxing.

HIV and Hepatitis cannot survive inside a wax pot. Both are extremely delicate viruses that only survive in extremely specific conditions... and that environment must contain water. Wax does not fit into this catagory. And both viruses (if present on the skin ... which is highly doubtful, are killed just by using 70% isopropyl to prep the skin before waxing.
Thankyou Huberella,this has been my argument all along,that there is No substantial evidence to suggest these things can be passed from one person to another via our wax pots.

Just another sales gimmick,and this is why it has not been made a legal issue to use a fresh spatula for every dip.

Until I see positive proof I will continue with my practices.

I got frightnened into purchasing a phd system and what a waste of money that was. My clients didnt like it and I hated it.

I always use a tea tree oil wax and have dropped some tee tree pure oil in (doesnt that kill bacteria) I use a tea tree cleanser and aftercare lotion (the abc tea tree hand & body lotion is amazing for soothing and keeping the skin clean).

I never go back into the pot with a spatula that may have touched some blood spotting.

I may start to use gloves, (I was never trained to use gloves)

That report also mentioned not to filter wax...when was that last done? the 1980's?

I am pretty sure if there was a problem with waxing we would hear about it...big style.

I know the wax has rolled across the skin but a hairdressers comb has usually brushed through lots of peoples hair....wet!

Hiya
In any academy or colledge shows you how to wax a client
they teach you how to use equipment and throughly clean it(new spatula every dip)

No there is no real proof of this bacteria ending up in your wax pot and if it did contaminating your client
But..why would you want to take the risk of infecting your innocent client who is not aware of these issues and has no choice in the matter?(they put trust in us and pay for a special treatment give them what they pay for)

There are the other issues..is your insurance company aware of your salon standars when you wax your clients using the same spatula?
I'm sure they would suggest that you use a fresh one every dip the way you were shown on your course?
Also the client..i'm sure if you did a little market reasearch with your clients you would be gob smacked at what they notice in your salon..by doing your own private no name reaserch on what the clients think..supply a box to put it in on your desk area and allow extra 5mins after every treatment for them to fill it in..or post it with a return env with post paid for the not so regular ones.
ask questions like
What would you change about our reception/calls/appointment bookings
what other treatments would you like to see in our salon
what other treatments would you like to try. post 10% voucher off with every survey completed for them to use on trying a new treatment
ask if they are happy with the standards of the salon
ask them what standars they would expect with the cost of the treatments
put a 1-10 scale of how good they would rate you and the staff
give them advise on treatments how they are carried out and what happens during the treatment
find out what hobbies they have
if they are involved in fundraising
what functions or holidays they are attending in the next year(mail them with offers around this time to encourage friends and family to book with them)
ask what they would rather do pay extra for higher standars or pay little for sloppy standards(my guess is the higher one)

After all if they aint happy they will clear off and leave you for the other salon down the rd

Jenx

I'm sticking by the rules of the educators with all my treatments that i offer..clean clean clean
perhaps thats why i have over 500 clients after a short period of opening my doors..speaks volume dont it

I got frightnened into purchasing a phd system and what a waste of money that was. My clients didnt like it and I hated it.

I always use a tea tree oil wax and have dropped some tee tree pure oil in (doesnt that kill bacteria) I use a tea tree cleanser and aftercare lotion (the abc tea tree hand & body lotion is amazing for soothing and keeping the skin clean).

I never go back into the pot with a spatula that may have touched some blood spotting.

I may start to use gloves, (I was never trained to use gloves)

That report also mentioned not to filter wax...when was that last done? the 1980's?

I am pretty sure if there was a problem with waxing we would hear about it...big style.

I know the wax has rolled across the skin but a hairdressers comb has usually brushed through lots of peoples hair....wet!

Well when we think about all the things that touch our skin then it all makes sense really,as I mentioned way back in the beginning of this thread.

I would never put a used spatula back in the pot if I had blood spotting though,It may not be a problem but for me it gives me peace of mind.

I never wear gloves,other than when I do a full wax(Hollywood)I dont touch the areas I am waxing with my fingers so whats the need?This is another thread altogether though and not that old.

At the end of the day it's up to individuals to make their own minds up.If you are happy and it's not dangerous then I dont see a problem.Live and let live eh!!! xx

Latest posts

Back