Benefit Fraudsters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you report a benefit fraudster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted No because tbh I just wouldnt dare:irked:

I vote NO. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I put some poor little kiddies mum or dad in the dock. There's a lot of poverty in the UK and many families are living hand to mouth and are on the fiddle because that can barely put food on the the table and not because they're lazy.

That doesn't make right I know but there are plenty of people who commit fraud in different ways......tax fiddling etc. Look at the politicians for example.

When it comes to my neighbour I would dob them in for anything going I can , coz their graspe anybody else up in the neighbour hood for anything!!!I was told by her cousin she was fidling her tax at one point ,but how can I proove it??Anybody else Id turn a blind eye.:confused:

Im afraid I voted 'only if I had a grudge against that person' I know its a bit cowardly but I could only report someone if I didn't know them or didn't like them as then I wouldn't feel guilty.

I do actually know a few people that claim money then do most of their work cash in hand and I don't agree with it but I think if they told me someone had shopped them I would probably look so embarrassed they would know its me.

I vote NO. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I put some poor little kiddies mum or dad in the dock. There's a lot of poverty in the UK and many families are living hand to mouth and are on the fiddle because that can barely put food on the the table and not because they're lazy.

That doesn't make right I know but there are plenty of people who commit fraud in different ways......tax fiddling etc. Look at the politicians for example.

I tend to feel the same as you Kim

I voted yes i would. Most of these people have no morals and will get anything for nothing. Its a shame if children suffer by parents being punished, but if their brought up thinking this is acceptable it than becomes a vicious circle which needs to be broken.

I voted No purely because like many others I would be to scared to, even though I know you don't have to disclose your personal info I just now it would be my luck to get talking to the person(s) who I'd shopped & I would go bright red & start stuttering:eek:
It does annoy me so much though, my hubby got made redund & we tried to get council tax benefit, we have no savings or anything & provided the authorities with every bit of info pos (bank stat, mortgage details, paye slips you name it they had it) only to be turned down:cry: & then had a friend bragging about how much money in benefits they had coming in plus her hubby had just come out of army and was accidently been paid by them & from his new job they were bringing in about £6000 per month - hope Karma is on her way round to bite their bums!!

Totally agree with this! I'd have to say no because I believe in Karma and would hate the thought of someone getting into trouble because of me, no matter how much they deserved it.

THAT SAID...if they were bragging about how much they were fiddling the system for I would be so tempted cos me and my partner work all the hours we can, and try to bring up our little girl and we dont get any help from anyone. So there!

Interesting discussion though!!

xx

I voted only if i held a grudge i.e if i really hated someone and couldnt care less what happened to them.

Otherwise No i wouldnt 'shop' anyone, its not my business and i wouldnt feel pleased or good about myself if i done that to someone. Im not saying its right by all means ive just got better things to do than stick my nose into other peoples lives!

x

I don't think i could do it....and don't think i would have to, if they made it obvious to me then they would have made it obvious to others so it would only be a matter of time anyway.

I would like to think i could, but i don't think i would have the nerve....bad karma would probably come back to me:rolleyes:

I believe it is the benefit system which is at fault. It makes it too easy for some.

On a kind of related subject re. karma. Karma literally just means "action" & refers to actions, not the results of those actions, rather it infers things unfolding from our actions. Also, karma is not analogous to our western understanding of 'fate', there is no judgement in karma & thus it is not some sort of cosmic justice system. Neither is there such thing as good or bad karma; these are westernisms.

On the subject of 'fate' & the idea of universal justice systems, even if you believe in such notions, it doesn't negate the need for personal involvement. That is to say we are a part of the world, not apart from it, and all of our actions are interwoven. As such, abdicating from doing anything so 'karma' will sort it out is not what's implied by such a system on any level, that's called copping-out!

This is a difficult one....if someone is stealing(which this is) then dam it they deserve what they get....by fraudulent claiming they not only take money directly out of our pockets but they create a bad stigma for those genuine individuals that are claiming legitimately.

On the other hand if I saw an individual who was realy on there ass and maybe a single parent who's old man had done a runner and left her in the lurch and she say had a cleaning job on the side that brought in a bit of extra cash to feed the family then I would turn a blind eye.

On the other side of the coin if I came across a ponce that was doing everything on the side and claiming benefits and drove around in a merc...then dam right ring ring:eek:

Maybe its not being fair being the judge on where the point comes when I believe an individual crosses the line ..but what the heck..I've never claimed a penny...I have no objections against those that do and need help but I certainly ain't prepared to let those that abuse the system rip the state ,me and everyone else off :smack:

On a kind of related subject re. karma. Karma literally just means "action" & refers to actions, not the results of those actions, rather it infers things unfolding from our actions. Also, karma is not analogous to our western understanding of 'fate', there is no judgement in karma & thus it is not some sort of cosmic justice system. Neither is there such thing as good or bad karma; these are westernisms.

On the subject of 'fate' & the idea of universal justice systems, even if you believe in such notions, it doesn't negate the need for personal involvement. That is to say we are a part of the world, not apart from it, and all of our actions are interwoven. As such, abdicating from doing anything so 'karma' will sort it out is not what's implied by such a system on any level, that's called copping-out!

Absolutely right!

I think a person's motive for any action they do is very important. What is ones motive for doing or saying anything? ... it is something I always ask myself when looking at other people's actions. If you do things from a bad motive then that shows the type of person you are generally ........ if your motives for a certain action are good ones then that is what matters.

Absolutely agree with Martin and Geeg. It's the intent behind the action.

I agree too....I once reported a friend to social services ... i didn't want to or enjoy it....i did so purely because there was a child in danger and i hoped it would be the first step to her getting some help....i had tried to talk to her about it but i am not in any way trained to deal with something like that.

She did actually find out it was me and i was upset at losing her as a friend but pleased that she DID get the help and went on to be a great mum.

I could never do anything just to be nasty...just cos i didn't like someone or because of a grudge....I would only ever do anything like this IF i thought it would actually help or make a difference.

To those who have voted YES...what if it was a family member....or very close friend...????

Last edited:
Depends for me - if it was a friend who I knew was struggling financially with thier lives and kids who was doing a job on the side for 2 days a week at the corner shop, I doubt I could to be honest as I would feel like I was taking food from her kids mouths.

Was it someone who had 2 cars and flaunted their cash to give themselves an "image" then too bloomin right I would.

My hubby was self employed since the day he left school, he has always worked and was, up until last year earning a darn good amount from it. He injured his arm 18 months ago which was swiftly followed by a stay in hospital with pneumonia and pleuracy. He is now unable to work due to the nature of his job and his arm ( he has torn the tendons fromt he elbow and the GP is reluctant to operate as he feels it won't work). We tried to claim benefits and were told he hadn't paid enough tax!!! 30 years of work and not enough tax seriously!

He has now started on the road to getting help with opening another business as we lost everything when his last business went and, as a bankrupt, he can't just open up somehwere but this time he is to employ other people and will be unable to do heavy work himself :(

This is something that i would really have to think about, I am a struggling single mother but i went back to work when my baby was 6 weeks old in order to look after her, i work really hard for what little money i do have yet every month no matter how hard i work i still struggle along financially.

Last week I went to the job centre to be told what i earn I could get the same by not working at all!!! in fact i would probably get more money by sitting on my bum doing nothing. (Its still not enough to live on though) The point is i enjoy the time i spend working, i get to have conversations that are not centred around peppa pig and dora.

I personally feel that if someone was just doing their best to look after their kids and provide them with a decent life then they do whatever they can.

BUT like collin said its the ones driving round in nice cars and living in nice houses that are claiming all sorts of benefits that really wind you up.

I think if the government did more to help those that actually needed the help instead of giving things to the real fraudsters then this might not actually be a problem.

hope that made sense. :)

This is something that i would really have to think about, I am a struggling single mother but i went back to work when my baby was 6 weeks old in order to look after her, i work really hard for what little money i do have yet every month no matter how hard i work i still struggle along financially.

Last week I went to the job centre to be told what i earn I could get the same by not working at all!!! in fact i would probably get more money by sitting on my bum doing nothing. (Its still not enough to live on though) The point is i enjoy the time i spend working, i get to have conversations that are not centred around peppa pig and dora.

I personally feel that if someone was just doing their best to look after their kids and provide them with a decent life then they do whatever they can.

BUT like collin said its the ones driving round in nice cars and living in nice houses that are claiming all sorts of benefits that really wind you up.

I think if the government did more to help those that actually needed the help instead of giving things to the real fraudsters then this might not actually be a problem.

hope that made sense. :)

Yes, exactly! You've hit the nail on the head there!

The current benefits system is totally counter-intuitive, in that a person can be better off by claiming benefits and doing no work at all, than if they had a (fairly low-paid) job.

This means that it's the system that is actively encouraging people to stay on benefits instead of going out there and seeking work, because of this frankly stupid anomaly! I mean, who in their right mind, with at least half a brain cell, would come up with anything so daft? Well, obviously someone in the civil service or the government by the looks of it!

It would make a lot more sense if people on benefits could be a little better off by doing, say, a bit of part-time work - so they'd keep on getting the majority (or perhaps all) of their benefits up to a certain threshold, and then have the benefits gradually taper away above that. Rather than it being the "all or nothing" scenario that I believe it is at the moment.

So, given that this is the case, my view is that I would definitely not report someone who was doing a relatively small amount of work on top of their benefits, where the amount of work, if declared, would be less than the amount of benefits that they would lose. I do think that society would be a lot better off if people were allowed to earn a certain amount through work without losing their benefits. e.g. a single parent could have a part-time job during school hours that would not interfere with their ability to care for their child. And it would give people a much greater sense of purpose, and also open the doors for them to moving to a better paid job in the future, where they would be loads better off and no longer need benefits.

But artificially forcing people to stay on benefits because they'd be worse off if they worked just doesn't make any sense at all to me! In fact it would just lead to a greater drain on the taxpayer in the long run, because people would be much more likely to keep on claiming benefits long-term, instead of being able to get back into work...

For me I vote no, because even though it is meant to be anonymous things always seem to come back to haunt you. I live in an area with high drugs and crime and on the rare occasion I have phoned the police who have assured me that I will remain anonymous they have always knocked on my door for further information. Now how anonymous is that? I am sorry but I will not live in fear in my own home!! the only time I would get involved from now on is if it is children or animals involved because they cannot defend themselves.

Regarding benefit fraud it is a tough one, the system totally stinks and makes it difficult for people on benefits to get back into work when they finally are in a position to do so. I am on benefits at the moment due to ill health and also I am a carer for someone who is terminally ill therefore I am not in a position to work, something that winds me up no end. I didnt spend 10 years studying to end up on benefits! I was told a while ago that I would be able to work up to 16 hours a week providing I didnt earn over £90 ish. I thought great, I'll start building up a client base and when times right come of benefits and work full time. About a month ago I went to Pathways who help disabled/sick people back into work only to discover that since my benefits had changed I could only earn £10 a week!!! but I can work up to full time hours providing its voluntary. So voluntary it is, it won't be the work I wanted to do (as in nails etc) but I guess it'll help me get back into the routine of going to work.

anne xx

For me I vote no, because even though it is meant to be anonymous things always seem to come back to haunt you. I live in an area with high drugs and crime and on the rare occasion I have phoned the police who have assured me that I will remain anonymous they have always knocked on my door for further information. Now how anonymous is that? I am sorry but I will not live in fear in my own home!! the only time I would get involved from now on is if it is children or animals involved because they cannot defend themselves.

Regarding benefit fraud it is a tough one, the system totally stinks and makes it difficult for people on benefits to get back into work when they finally are in a position to do so. I am on benefits at the moment due to ill health and also I am a carer for someone who is terminally ill therefore I am not in a position to work, something that winds me up no end. I didnt spend 10 years studying to end up on benefits! I was told a while ago that I would be able to work up to 16 hours a week providing I didnt earn over £90 ish. I thought great, I'll start building up a client base and when times right come of benefits and work full time. About a month ago I went to Pathways who help disabled/sick people back into work only to discover that since my benefits had changed I could only earn £10 a week!!! but I can work up to full time hours providing its voluntary. So voluntary it is, it won't be the work I wanted to do (as in nails etc) but I guess it'll help me get back into the routine of going to work.

anne xx

Looks like you're caught up in the ludicrousness of it too then by the sound of it! I mean, do the government actually want people to be able to work and help themselves? Apparently not, by the sound of it! Stupid, stupid regulations!!!

Latest posts

Back