Excel 2009 - YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY £40 to get in

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Yes I know I can not believe it. emap have now sold to the guardian group and they will be charging people that book tickets online £20 each and if you turn up on the day £40. Students also have to pay and wear uniform however they will only allow L2 & 3 in.

I think that this is a great shame as most colleges have equal opportunities so if 1 can not go they all will not go. I also think that the turnout will also be a lot weaker and in the current climate I really do think that this is a shame.

There will be no doubt many exhibitors that will pull out as a result of this and what a shame. I know that they want to get rid of the market stall stands but this is ridiculous.

I say bring on the smaller roadshows and more intimate events that make these events worthwhile.

What are your views on this and will you go if you have to pay these huge entrance fees.

a good debate i think this will be

That's ridiculous! I can't see people paying it and my guess is that will make exhibitors think twice too.

Deffo think that smaller exhibitions are the way to go. xxx

I think £40 is far to high they get so much from the exhibitors they shouldn't charge that much it's totally unreasonable IMO

that sounds to me like 'shooting yourself in the foot'

i can see the need for them sorting out the 'serious trade buyers' from the 'joe shmoe' public but there's ways of doing this without charging entrance fee's

The peeps that 'sell the stands' sold to the 'market stall' traders so if they know who they are...they just say there isnt a demand for the tatt they sell anymore !

Well, as a 'One Man Band' I will not be bothering to go if I have to pay £40 to get in ffs!

I went this year and I came down from Lincolnshire and stayed overnight (more expense) I felt I wanted to be sure I saw everything.

If they charge this entrance fe, I'll not bother and gleen my info from my mags ans this site - thanks very much EMAP.
BTW _ I'm an ex-emap employee - for speacialst magazines too, they were a good employer, but this is pants!

I think ultimately this way will be better but £20 is a bit steep ! £10 would have been better.

This way it will keep out members of the public who should not be there - last year there were people with prams at Excel who had wandered in from the baby show down the hall :eek:

I would rather pay for a better show than to get in free and be bombarded with 'can I demonstrate this all in one face make-up / bronzer/ blusher rubbish'

Hopefully this charge would bring down the exorbitant show costs for exhibitors. I know CND haven't been at the last few shows due to the cost and therefore would allow some of the smaller suppliers to be able to afford to exhibit. Therefore better for us.

This seems MAD!!!
Surely someone can put us right on this???

I do think that £40 is far too expensive for an entry fee to any professinal exhibition. However, I think maybe £10-£15 may be a bit fairer. It may also stop "joe public" from attending and buying stuff they know nothing about, never mind how to use it properly.

No......this can't be right????

It is to keep the non professionals out of there who go to do their xmas shopping and get a few bottles of polish on the cheap,
hopefully it will keep the prams out too,
i must be sad because i would be willing to pay the £20 entrance if it improves the stands and quality of what is on offer while keeping joe public out :hug:

but i do enjoy the roadshows too lol

Do you know if they are re-introducing prizes for the National Nail Comp winners?.... I hope so!

This could be a good thing really.
It could put off non professionals from attending and might lower the stand prices for exhibitors?

This seems MAD!!!
Surely someone can put us right on this???

This is right I was with Chris & Eve Taylor at the weekend and they had recieved as everyone else would of letter confirming the new rules for charging entrance fees.

They have decided to pull out because of this so Eve Taylor will not be at Excel.

This is mentioned in detail in this month's PB mag too.

It is to keep the non professionals out of there who go to do their xmas shopping and get a few bottles of polish on the cheap,
i must be sad because i would be willing to pay the £20 entrance if it improves the stands and quality of what is on offer while keeping joe public out :hug:

I agree with that.

Yes, the baby show brought in all sorts, and I do agree that there are lots of unrelated stands, IE cheapo bags & jewellery and other tat.
I'm all for Professional shows being for the professional, but I'm also against paying an exorbitant fee too.
Yes, this will take the pressure of the Professional companies, but there's lots like me, who are sole traders who would baulk at these charges.
Maybe the 'Guardian' have lost sight of who their Excel professional market is they are aiming for - we are not Estee Lauder or Chanel & Clarins are we? - We are Professional beauty & Nail Techs looking for Professional products, presence & knowledge -I only use Professional products in my salon.

KMFWA!! (you may not know what means but its not good)
No way am I paying!!
I'm getting worried tbh....
Yes...jp and their prams won't be there.....THIS TIME!!!
And who will be in next time??
EEEEEW this nail polish looks nice......:irked:
Pleeeeeese lets keep the show to the professionals eh?
This will be the end if it goes any further tbh. And EzFlow, Creative etc will have to do their own thing...because us GIMPS:eek: are so fed up with the usual stuff.
It really upsets me tbh because it's such a shame and so sad.
Please don't give up on us :hug:

Seems expensive, even when claiming it back on expenses! Although I guess it's not such a big percentage of the cost of driving down from Shrewsbury and staying overnight, but even so! If it's per person then it would be a bit steep if you ask me...

If you show your **** do u still get in free????
:lol::lol::lol:

If you show your **** do u still get in free????
:lol::lol::lol:

If you show your WHAT, Judy??? Something rude perchance???

tbh i doubt that i will be going.
im not about to start paying to get in to spend my money.it is a shame because im sure there will be professional companies that wont go.
by the time ive paid the fee and for my train ticket etc.. im looking at nearly £50 before ive even bought any products and as i work for myself thats alot of money to spend before ive even got to the show.
i usually know roughly what i want before hand so i will just buy from the companies over the phone.i did go to the show last year but i ordered more things from a company over the phone within a week of the show and i was still able to get the show discount.xx

Latest posts

Back