Excel 2009 - YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY £40 to get in

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a briliant idea .......

I have been to over 40 shows and worked at probably 38 of them.

It's about time something was done to discourage the plebs and the liars that invent themselves on the day, so they can gain entrance to the show to buy a few polishes at wholesale prices.

I get sick of Sweaty Betty's taking up my valuable time buying 2 polishes and asking stupid questions, when I could have been selling 100's of dollars worth of product to a truly interested customer.

£20 each is nothing to pay really, when you can save that with show specials after a few purchases.

Also it's £20 if you pre-register and £40 if you don't pre-register (this is where your truly interested distributors should be stepping up to the plate, mailing out invitations and promoting the show and pre-registration).

Nail shows have been needing a change for many years .... this may be the change needed.

Imagine a show full of truly interested, likeminded people, less crowded, due to sorting out the cheapskate public...... imagine your distributor having time for you, because they don't have to deal with curious/public idiots buying the tube of adhesive or the polish you could have retailed to them, if they had not had access to the show?

I would pay £20 to get into a show, I know I am still quiet new to the industry and still love going to shows. But would it not benefit us all if things got better through this and the general public could not get in to the shows, I know that if I was not in the industry I would think £40 alot to pay. But that is just me maybe.xxx

I think it's a briliant idea .......

I have been to over 40 shows and worked at probably 38 of them.

It's about time something was done to discourage the plebs and the liars that invent themselves on the day, so they can gain entrance to the show to buy a few polishes at wholesale prices.

I get sick of Sweaty Betty's taking up my valuable time buying 2 polishes and asking stupid questions, when I could have been selling 100's of dollars worth of product to a truly interested customer.

£20 each is nothing to pay really, when you can save that with show specials after a few purchases.

Also it's £20 if you pre-register and £40 if you don't pre-register (this is where your truly interested distributors should be stepping up to the plate, mailing out invitations and promoting the show and pre-registration).

Nail shows have been needing a change for many years .... this may be the change needed.

Imagine a show full of truly interested, likeminded people, less crowded, due to sorting out the cheapskate public...... imagine your distributor having time for you, because they don't have to deal with curious/public idiots buying the tube of adhesive or the polish you could have retailed to them, if they had not had access to the show?

I agree with those sentiments.

I think if the "real" trade show enviroment returned, a lot of the distributors/salon owners/technicians and therapists who have lost faith in the shows would come back.

It is a bold move to implement these admission charges, but it could be the catalyst for some positive changes.

Would be nice to see the exhibitor space priced more realistically off the back of it though.....

I haven't read through the whole discussion, I just wanted to tell that this is what they do in the rest of Europe... I can't remember what I payed in Dusseldorf, but I think it was similar to 40 pound. I wouldn't care paying this for a good show and I am sure I am going to pay it to go to Excell and Dusseldorf again in the wintertime. For me it's all about getting the inspiration, see what's going on in the industry and networking.

If 40 pound for me will get the show better with less (unproff. people), I'll gladly pay it.

C.

If a trade show was very good and had a good selection of exhibitors I was interested in, I would be happy to pay entrance.

That would be great but only if the distributors are there !!

i think if a charge is instigated , it should be put towards lowering the cost of exhibiting. having a stand at there events costs thousands and thousands of pounds even for a very limited space.

then perhaps more exhibitors would attend and make it more of a worthwhile experience for the attendees and be worth the entrance fee. as well as keeping out the public.

i think the stalls that sell the crapola are draughted in at very short notice to fill the gaps that professional companies leave and they pay very little for their space.
not fair:irked:

Exactly Susan!!!!

I,ve been reading this thread, it amazes me how many people put comments up with out looking at the facts first.

After seeing this news, i read through the information on the website and this is what it says

emap is still emap, it simply has new owners apax/guardian media group , a massive company which is saying its reinvesting in new stuff to see at the show! I reckon with bigger owners they will have more opportunity to do good things with the show. BIG BIG POINT
Entry is £20 only £40 on the day

The entry does include various items which in the past you had to pay for, example the catalogue and seminars, if you attended some seminars in previous years and bought a catalogue it would have cost £20 or more, so if it keeps out the non professionals...excellent. also I didn't realise till I looked on the site that you can watch the seminars after the show as wellon the website)

They seem to have researched it alot with a cross section of therapists and techs and why would they do it if it wasn't a positive move? They wouldn't want to do something which would kill their own show I reckon. I also remember the thread saying people would be more than willing to pay if the crappola stands were removed and the show improved.

I would say take a look at the exhibitor list no tat there at all and from what i understand no tat is allowed, the show is taking the professional route very seriously and only professional health and beauty brands are allowed.

As for the the level one students i think the biggest grip i heard from everybody about PB and even on this forum is about 16 year old girls running around, as someone quite rightly said already and its also statistically proven half these girls will drop out in the first year so essentially they bring absolutely nothing to the party......i know it will make my life so much easier not having to fight my way through them to see stands and talk to the exhibitors .

As for less people again, i would rather know i was mixing with actual professionals than Joe bloggs off the street, im sure the exhibitors would rather see people who are actually gonna do business with them to rather than time wasters.

And my last point....breath!..........has anyone ever thought there maybe another reason why certain brands aren't there other than assuming its one reason only?? remember what they say about assumption.

I can only see it as a positive, if it makes my time at Excel a more pleasant one bring it on. :)

I feel that once again the wrong people are getting punished (not the right word but cant think of another)....cos we get all the non professionals turn up...WE get charged !!!....why should WE be penalised for THEM allowing just anyone in...why don't they work abit harder on making sure people are professionals.

Prior to receiving your ticket you must fax/email/post a copy of your cert....

And while they are at it....maybe they could also work abit harder on the criteria of the stands....since when where handbags anything to do with beauty..???

This all reminds me very much of the way governments work....sting those who play by the rules and the wrong people benefit from it.

Would I pay the fee for entering a beauty show totaly committed to our profession, yes I would. Attending seminars and industry talk, oh yes you bet.
Would I pay to go to a flea market nope xxxx
I can buy my hairclips in claire's, my handbags down Roman Road and my belts where ever......

I feel that once again the wrong people are getting punished (not the right word but cant think of another)....cos we get all the non professionals turn up...WE get charged !!!....why should WE be penalised for THEM allowing just anyone in...why don't they work abit harder on making sure people are professionals.

Prior to receiving your ticket you must fax/email/post a copy of your cert....

And while they are at it....maybe they could also work abit harder on the criteria of the stands....since when where handbags anything to do with beauty..???

This all reminds me very much of the way governments work....sting those who play by the rules and the wrong people benefit from it.
ditto... and welcome back Angie :hug:

I,ve been reading this thread, it amazes me how many people put comments up with out looking at the facts first.

After seeing this news, i read through the information on the website and this is what it says

emap is still emap, it simply has new owners apax/guardian media group , a massive company which is saying its reinvesting in new stuff to see at the show! I reckon with bigger owners they will have more opportunity to do good things with the show. BIG BIG POINT
Entry is £20 only £40 on the day

The entry does include various items which in the past you had to pay for, example the catalogue and seminars, if you attended some seminars in previous years and bought a catalogue it would have cost £20 or more, so if it keeps out the non professionals...excellent. also I didn't realise till I looked on the site that you can watch the seminars after the show as wellon the website)

They seem to have researched it alot with a cross section of therapists and techs and why would they do it if it wasn't a positive move? They wouldn't want to do something which would kill their own show I reckon. I also remember the thread saying people would be more than willing to pay if the crappola stands were removed and the show improved.

I would say take a look at the exhibitor list no tat there at all and from what i understand no tat is allowed, the show is taking the professional route very seriously and only professional health and beauty brands are allowed.

As for the the level one students i think the biggest grip i heard from everybody about PB and even on this forum is about 16 year old girls running around, as someone quite rightly said already and its also statistically proven half these girls will drop out in the first year so essentially they bring absolutely nothing to the party......i know it will make my life so much easier not having to fight my way through them to see stands and talk to the exhibitors .

As for less people again, i would rather know i was mixing with actual professionals than Joe bloggs off the street, im sure the exhibitors would rather see people who are actually gonna do business with them to rather than time wasters.

And my last point....breath!..........has anyone ever thought there maybe another reason why certain brands aren't there other than assuming its one reason only?? remember what they say about assumption.

I can only see it as a positive, if it makes my time at Excel a more pleasant one bring it on. :)

Exellent post :D it's great to read some factual info on this . £20 for the seminars alone is worth it IMO and i wholeheartedly beleive that in time,this really will help to improve the standards !

Simple reason we aren't planning on going at this stage: The space alone was quoted @ £17k (that was without anything in the space!). Add the stand, erection, staff, travel and cost of goods on that and the price just gets prohibitive. We would love to go, but just can't commit to such expensive costs to do so.

Anyhoo, don't you work for emap poppy?

Last edited:
When I first heard about the new entrance fee I was a little shocked and did give my views to Emap, but having seen the new deal I have to say that I don't think it is that bad. We will be getting a fully professional show with no bags, jewellery, scarves, glittery bra straps, prams etc. They are not being sold space. It will be pro only, that's got to be worth a little bit.

Emap are seriously trying to make PB North and South the market leader in its field and if our entrance fees help to do this all the better. There will be great FREE nail seminars at Excel. Doug Schoon is already booked and his seminar alone will be worth the £20 entrance fee.

Rachel and I are open to requests for speakers and we are still working on the line up for Excel. If there is someone you want to see and it will make it worth your £20 then tell us and if there is enough support we will book them. We don't know what or who you want to see at the seminars if you don't tell us. What industry icons do you want to listen to or see work. Do you want nail art, smile lines, natural nail, wraps, business information. This list goes on and on of what we can put on so tell us and we will provide what you want if we can.

Go on GMG come speak for us again you know how much we all love seeing you and geeg -we couldn't clear the forum afterwards last time you were so good

I think I'm right in saying that at GMex, (so I would imagine all of the other future shows), there's a stipulation that everyone must where a uniform or they won't be admitted. What if you don't wear a uniform for work?

I think I'm right in saying that at GMex, (so I would imagine all of the other future shows), there's a stipulation that everyone must where a uniform or they won't be admitted. What if you don't wear a uniform for work?

It's only student's that have to wear uniform.

I am a trained massuse, part trained beauty therapist who is currently in continual training to expand on my skills, i simply read my facts. :)

I am a trained massuse, part trained beauty therapist who is currently in continual training to expand on my skills, i simply read my facts. :)
So you don't work for emap?

In regards to the uniform I am sure a suit or smart dress will be allowed as most salon owners probably dont wear a beauty tunic.

Its probably just there way of saying not to wear short skirts or other casual wear.

I really doubt they will turn you away if you are smartly dressed.

On another thought that you have to be qualified do tyhey check this? Surely that will cost a fortune in it self. And theres plenty of people who run salons unqualified do they get to go?

Kate

In this climate...thats a very bold move....

I think it's a mistake, that's my personal opinion from a marketing perspective, how in the world is that going to increase footfall....

Perhaps you therapists are a lot richer than I thought??? :eek:.....

or perhaps they think you are. . .?

God knows, still getting my head around it

Latest posts

Back