Flicks and Dots Beginners Nailart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
Quite a few Geeks expressed an interest a while back in having a step by step nailart tutorial for beginners...
I had a cancelled appointment this morning and this tutorial is the end result :D

To start off, make sure you've got everything ready on your table, container of clean water for dipping your brush, kitchen towel, water based acrylic paints, brushes that you want to use etc,
not forgetting the most important thing...
your mug of tea or coffee :wink2:​

tablesetup_thumb.jpg

Mix your paint with a cocktail stick to ensure the colour is even. Decide which brush you want to use, I chose a brush with long bristles to get a nice line of paint on the nail. Dip your brush into the water, dab off excess onto kitchen towel then dip the bristles into your chosen colour of paint.
I used white as it shows up well on the red enamel.​

1_848922_thumb.jpg

Start at the corner of the nail, bring your brush down onto the nail at an angle and gently but quickly sweep the brush across the nail, lifting the bristles away when you've got the desired look.​

3_629986_thumb.jpg

You can repeat this as many times as you like and use different areas on the nail.​

4_727469_thumb.jpg

Don't worry if it looks slightly untidy (as mine does), you can cover that up later :wink2:​

5_725890_thumb.jpg

Next you might want to add a few dots, I don't have a dotting tool so I use a short bristled brush, you can also use the end of the brush handle if you want to.
Dip the brush into water, then into your chosen colour of paint, again I used white so you could see it properly.
The dots on this nail aren't 100% round or perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but when you're learning it doesn't matter, art is in the eye of the beholder (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol)​

6_994618_thumb.jpg

When you've finishing titivating the nail with paint you can finish it off with some rhinestones, this not only looks pretty but it also covers up a multitude of sins where the flicks aresn't neat at the ends :wink2:
Apply a generous application of your chosen topcoat, inset the rhinestones, wait a couple of minutes then pop on another application of topcoat and voila, a nailarted nail.​

7_876930_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sandi Nail Art isnt my thing but its nice to see how its done I will have to give it a go xx

Thanks for that !

What are the brushes called that you are using ?

Marlise

They're V-Brushes, they've been abused over the past couple of years :o
The short bristled brush was a Star Nails Detailer, I got the scissors to it and cut it to shape.

Fab tutorial Sandi!

Just some quick questions - Does using nail polish have as good effect? How stiff are the bristles on the nail art brush that you used?

Would be even better if we could make some of the pictures a little larger. :hug:

Might actually have a go at some nail art now! Wont hold my breath as to it looking good though. :lol:

Great, thanks Sandi.
So simple yet soooo effective! :)

You can click on the links at the bottom for bigger pics :D
I don't use nail enamel for nailart, only water based acrylic paints, the colours are more vibrant IMO and it's easier to clean up mistakes by using a lintfree pad dampened with water (if you're quick).
The bristles are firm but soft, when they're on the nail they fit themselves to the nail and work with you.

edit: I've fixed the links at the bottom of the page now!

Brilliant Tutorial Sandi, kept nice and simple
thanks xx

jules x

Really good tutorial Sandi, well done :)

Well done Sandi....a nice, simple but effective starter xx

More more more !

Fab Sandi,i might even give it a go ..... not promising though ! xx

Great tutorial Sandi ... will definitely give it a try.

That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

aj

Great demonstration Sandi of what can be achieved very easily, if you know how xxx

Fantastic, please do some more
Debbie

i really like this design! i love doing nail art but find it hard to come up with the ideas!

in relation to you not having a dotting tool - before i had mine i used to use a pin head (bit fiddly but get a better shaped dot!)

thanks this looks great im gona have a go xx

Very good demonstration Sandi.. thanks for sharing. :hug:

Gee golly whizzers, the more I am on this site, lurking about seeing all the talent in nail art, the more I am getting jazzed up to start doing it again..I was ending my career as a nail tech just because I got tired of it all but now I am thinking twice about it .thank you Sandi for giving this demo. You are the master. Sweet!

cool tutorial, have to try it..you make it look easy ( i hope it is!):hug:

Latest posts

Back