Gelish Gel Polishes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everybody:D:D

hi do you have any m,ore information about this person? I try to talk last night with Bulgarian distributor on facebook and she told me name some Pamela Kennedy, but just i did'nt get tel nummber to her ;-(((

maybe someone have any info about that
thx:D

Hi you can contact Pamela Kennedy, Nail Harmony Ireland on +44 (0)28 92661617 or email [email protected]

There's a training course on Sunday 16th May in Belfast from 10am-4pm. If interested contact details above.

I don't work for Nail Harmony but have been wearing Gelish for 10 weeks or so now and must admit I love it. I can't comment on Shellac as I've never tried it. :D

Ladies please remember that there is a lot of "Flash and Dance" when these "Supposed" new products are introduced - think it through - it's a tough industry out there with so many competitors. I know of at least 3 other Gel products which have been around for quite some time who are just as good if not better than the new CND product. CND has spent hundreds of thousand of dollars in it's advertising, and it's great advertising! For a product to be called new it only has to have one ingredient or one step to back up the claim.

I never purchase anything I have not done complete research on (and that includes the chemistry behind the producty), I mean my budget is tight in this economy and if I am going to purchase a system I have to know as much as possible about it.

Here's a freebee for you all. I subscribe both online and hard copy to GCI magazine (GCImagazine.com) it's totally free and it talks about the beauty business and brand impact. I also subscribe to several ingredient digest (these I pay for so I am not adding them here), chemical formulation digest (just a tad different than the "ingredient" digest), and lots and lots of Lab magazines. It is vitally important that I know what I am using on a client as well as know where it came from and how it was made and distributed.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying and it's a useful and sensible take. Plus it steps away from the hype.

However, a large and reputable Company like CND are not about to globally launch a new range if they had any concerns about lawsuits and the safety of the product.

Secondly, the economy is tough but advertising that can attract the professionals, their existing and potential clients and the media is money very well spent! The hype that has been created is amazing and this can only help technicians to sell this in a big way.

As far as I'm concerned if a new product does what it promises and is competitively priced, just 1 ingredient difference is fine by me.

There may be other products as good (or better) on the market but they haven;t managed to attract the attention of the people that matter. CND and Shellac has, so the product and the clever marketing strategy wins all ways round.

Hats off to them

Has anyone tried this. If so what did you think xx

For those of you that would like to know more about the Industry this is a very interesting file. Creative Nail Design is in Appendix O. You can also read about others in our industry. It's a great read.

http://www.efc9.org/projects/HairCareProject/MTNCFinal-1.pdf

The above was pubished in March 2010

Last edited:
hi i had the rep in for the gelish polish and she applied it to one of my nails and within hours it was chipped.....and all i had been doing was shopping. lol. so this has left me with doubts. also they were looking 330 for starter kit and training. does shellac need any training? nail harmony hasn't started off on the right foot with me cos of the chipping. what would happen if this was a client?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ladies please remember that there is a lot of "Flash and Dance" when these "Supposed" new products are introduced - think it through - it's a tough industry out there with so many competitors. I know of at least 3 other Gel products which have been around for quite some time who are just as good if not better than the new CND product. CND has spent hundreds of thousand of dollars in it's advertising, and it's great advertising! For a product to be called new it only has to have one ingredient or one step to back up the claim.
What are these other products?

With Shellac, it isn't just spending hundreds of thousands on advertising, it's the huge amount spent on research and design, research that has taken nearing on 5 years to complete. Within that research is the new UV3 Technology, which I'm assuming isn't in the other 3 products you mention?!

The link was great, thanks, I've saved it :green:

For those whom are interested Creative Nail Design is owned by Colomer USA which is a part of the Colomer Group. Colomer group is in Spain and has been around since 1934. One of the other products this group has is "Roux" gosh "Roux" hair rinse has been around since the 50's

Sorry I'm off subject here but thought I would put that out. I SSSOOO wish Colomer was not privately owned - would love to have some of thier stock.

For those whom are interested Creative Nail Design is owned by Colomer USA which is a part of the Colomer Group. Colomer group is in Spain and has been around since 1934. One of the other products this group has is "Roux" gosh "Roux" hair rinse has been around since the 50's

Sorry I'm off subject here but thought I would put that out. I SSSOOO wish Colomer was not privately owned - would love to have some of thier stock.

Maybe it's up for sale?! How's your bank balance???!! Lol!

For those of you that would like to know more about the Industry this is a very interesting file. Creative Nail Design is in Appendix O. You can also read about others in our industry. It's a great read.

http://www.efc9.org/projects/HairCareProject/MTNCFinal-1.pdf

The above was pubished in March 2010
You need to multiple CND sales by a factor of about 10 for that report to get anywhere near accurate. In fact, I don't think ANY information in that report is actually accurate (by a long shot). OPI is overstated by a factor of about 4. I am assuming this is "sales out" values to consumers as opposed to actual sales values from the companies.

I too saw the advert is Scratch magazine and spoke to Georgie at Harmony today and a very in depth conversation with her, I found her so helpful....., can't wait to try it when it arrives. I also contacted Shellac before calling Harmony and the product isn't out till end of the month and more expensive for a smaller pot! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I too saw the advert is Scratch magazine and spoke to Georgie at Harmony today and a very in depth conversation with her, I found her so helpful....., can't wait to try it when it arrives. I also contacted Shellac before calling Harmony and the product isn't out till end of the month and more expensive for a smaller pot! :D

Maybe so but don't forget you are comparing 2 totally different things gellish is a gel Shellac isnt x

Maybe so but don't forget you are comparing 2 totally different things gellish is a gel Shellac isnt x

Well for two products that are completely different they are remarkably the same.

hi all just my own view i have gelish on for almost 2 weeks have done everything filing gardenin etc and not one chip they look just as good as when first applied lovely and shiney to, cant fault it cant wait for the new colour range and harmony is all new to uk so like every new company theres always a few teething problems regarding their site etc im loving gelish and their acrylic so i dont mind lol xxxx

Well for two products that are completely different they are remarkably the same.
By that logic all monomers must be the same and all polishes the same. All powders the same and all gels the same.

Shellac is patent pending and been in R&D for 5 years. Not sure about Gelish - but am going to assume it has been in R&D for awhile and may also have patents pending. Therefore they CAN'T be the same. But I don't even need to know that to understand they are different. Simply watching the demo videos of each system actually made it pretty obvious that they are different.

Just because something looks similar doesn't mean they are the same ;)

HTH's

By that logic all monomers must be the same and all polishes the same. All powders the same and all gels the same.

Shellac is patent pending and been in R&D for 5 years. Not sure about Gelish - but am going to assume it has been in R&D for awhile and may also have patents pending. Therefore they CAN'T be the same. But I don't even need to know that to understand they are different. Simply watching the demo videos of each system actually made it pretty obvious that they are different.

Just because something looks similar doesn't mean they are the same ;)

HTH's

So not the same thing then but they do the same thing a bit like toothpaste.
I will admit i do have a bit of a bee in my bonnet because i have worked really hard with Calgel and my business and had to defend it on here in the past because it is a soak off gel and there has been quite a few comments that soaking off in either acetone or acetone products regularly will cause damage.
I also feel that if they are not gels then they should not be recommended everytime a soak off gel thread is posted.
Im not knocking them.I am actually looking at them myself for those people who have strong nails and want a permanent polish which i understand they are best for and when they are being recommended in posts lets keep things real they are not the same as Calgel, bio,soak off Akzentz,Le chat etc so not necessarily a good replacement.

lets keep things real they are not the same as Calgel, bio,soak off Akzentz,Le chat etc so not necessarily a good replacement.

Gillian, I think you are right, Shellac is not necessarily a good replacement for the Calgel.
In fact, I think Shellac is a good product to use alongside Calgel.

I have recommended Shellac in Coloured gel threads, but usually because the poster is having certain problems with their gels, i.e. colour fade, colour discolouration etc.. Shellac has such perfect colour pigmentation that if you tried it, I think you will also be pleased.

I am also a Calgel user as you may know, in fact, I have recently passed my Calgel Premier Status course which makes me also a die hard Calgel user too, so I understand completely where you are coming from.

I personally don't think that one can replace another, you can build a nail with Calgel while you can not with Shellac. What Shellac does, however, is to open a new client type for you to so you can continue to improve on your well earned business. Clients who are natural nail care clients, or clients who doesn't like gel because of certain reasons. Sell it to them, don't mentioned the word 'gel' and watch them get addicted.

It has worked for me, I hope it can work for you too..? :D

Last edited:
Having had regular contact with Gelish users they are telling me that although the demo video shows a light buff of the natural nail as part of the prep they are not doing this & the product wear is not affected at all. I have spoken to the distributor of this product & been told that although they recommend a light buff over the top coat before removal (with acetone & wraps) this is only to speed up the removal process, they can actually just be soaked off without any filing.

As far as I can see the application, wear & removal steps for both systems are remarkably similar. Some folks here may find that hard to swallow, but there it is!

For those who have experienced BOTH products, what are your thoughts?

Latest posts

Back