Gelish Gel Polishes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, I had some gelish applied on my nails with the directions of one of the geeks on this thread. The directions were simular to the cnd shellac, except to different curing times ofcourse.
this geek explained that you didn't need to etch the natural nail at all!. So I thought great, still preserving the natural nail like we do with all cnd systems. To cut a long story short after having my nails gelished, about 4hours later they started to peel off from the sides of the free edge and slight lifting in the middle of zone 2!!! I'm a little dissapointed as so many people have compared this product to SHELLAC but to me its nothing like it. Gelish is super flexable which is good, but the adheision behind the product doesn't compaire to shellac also the shine of gelish isn't as bright or glossy as shellac, the most dissapointing factor is that you have to etch the natural nail! So it doesn't preserve the natural nail in a great way. So to me gelish is completly different to sheliac. Shellac is UV3 tecnology! Gelish is not.

Shellac has strong adhesion,its super flexable yet still slightly firm, has a blinding glossly shine, doesn't shrink like gelish, and lasts 2 weeks and doent age!
Shellac is a one of a kind! To me there's nothing that is the same as shellac or better at this moment in time.
I'm my opinon gelish is a soak of gel so simular to so many brands.

I have tried neither so cant comment on the differences but you can be as sure as eggs that if it only lasted 4 hours it was your fault and not the product.How ever would a product get through even development stage let alone have people waiting to buy more colours if it did.

Hi guys, I had some gelish applied on my nails with the directions of one of the geeks on this thread. The directions were simular to the cnd shellac, except to different curing times ofcourse.
this geek explained that you didn't need to etch the natural nail at all!. So I thought great, still preserving the natural nail like we do with all cnd systems. To cut a long story short after having my nails gelished, about 4hours later they started to peel off from the sides of the free edge and slight lifting in the middle of zone 2!!! I'm a little dissapointed as so many people have compared this product to SHELLAC but to me its nothing like it. Gelish is super flexable which is good, but the adheision behind the product doesn't compaire to shellac also the shine of gelish isn't as bright or glossy as shellac, the most dissapointing factor is that you have to etch the natural nail! So it doesn't preserve the natural nail in a great way. So to me gelish is completly different to sheliac. Shellac is UV3 tecnology! Gelish is not.
Shellac has strong adhesion,its super flexable yet still slightly firm, has a blinding glossly shine, doesn't shrink like gelish, and lasts 2 weeks and doent age!
Shellac is a one of a kind! To me there's nothing that is the same as shellac or better at this moment in time.

I don't think any of us Gelish users would ever compare Gelish to Shellac or say they were in any way similar. I like to think of Gelish as more of a gel and Shellac as more of a polish. That is the simplist terms to put it in for the general public. And I am one of those that does not "etch" the nail. I scrub really well with 99% alcohol and double dehydrate the nail to a chalky white. No peeling. I also apply in very thin layers--like you would for Shellac or it will wrinkle. And as far as your "shine" issue goes. I use them both (Shellac & Gelish) and have not noticed a difference in the shine factor of either. And if you read the advertising for Gelish--it states that it is a sog that goes on like polish. Never been advertised as anything less. I do have a pic in my album or on the Gelish Lover's group that shows a nail during removal and before application and it does not show any "etching" and the Gelish is still on those nails almost 3 weeks later-although she is scheduled for a change this week.
Well, I hope you understand now that your disapointment is probably more due to unrealistic expectations since you expected it to act like Shellac and it is NOT. And I hope you give it another try as it is an excellent service to have on your menu.

I didn't apply it myself ...lol. The Harmony educator for Gelish here in Spain applied it to me as a demo in the salon.

She was very nice and did remove the extra tacky layer of the foundation before applying 2 thin layers of colour. She prepped my nail but I did not let her etch it as a geek on here in this thread said you didn't need to and I never etch when I use Shellac.

She also said she alwyas cures for 3 minutes each layer to make sure of full cure and that you DO have to break the top coat seal before removing if you want it to remove in 10 minutes but I never got to that point as it all peeled off within hours. Maybe if she had ertched my nails like she wanted to it wouldn't have. I know Gelish say to etch the nail but a geek said not to bother and I didn't want to anyway.

I didn't apply it myself ...lol. The Harmony educator for Gelish here in Spain applied it to me as a demo in the salon.

She was very nice and did remove the extra tacky layer of the foundation before applying 2 thin layers of colour. She prepped my nail but I did not let her etch it as a geek on here in this thread said you didn't need to and I never etch when I use Shellac.

She also said she alwyas cures for 3 minutes each layer to make sure of full cure and that you DO have to break the top coat seal before removing if you want it to remove in 10 minutes but I never got to that point as it all peeled off within hours. Maybe if she had ertched my nails like she wanted to it wouldn't have. I know Gelish say to etch the nail but a geek said not to bother and I didn't want to anyway.

Since when does 'etching' (i dont think many systems require etching anyway)or buffing the natural nail damage it.I have to buff the shine off the nails with a 240 sponge board when i do Calgel and it does no damage what so ever.When i remove the calgel providing a client has taken care of her nails, like with all enhancements done professionally and with care they are fine underneath,
There are more posts on here than you can shake a stick at saying 'removing shine carefully will not damage the nail'.

Incidently did you return to the lady who put them on you and tell her what had happened to give her the chance to put things right.

Ok so we can all go around and around and it will never stop , we all have product we like we love or we hate or we use because we get asked to !!!! in MY oppinion ! i ordered shellac 2 mth ago. i waited and waited for the lamp !!! no lamp so i tried my own uv . it did not work , i got my customers all excited about this product ! THEN AS I CANT USE IT THEY FOUND SOMEWHERE THAT DID :sad::sad::sad: 5 lost clients.... thanx shellac Anyway after reading threds on Sunday i discovered gelish, i e-mailed georgie right away . i got prices first thing monday am . help with the colours and a VERY VERY friendly customer service:D any way im sat here with Gossip girl shining away on my fingers . ive done 2 waxes, (men) cut the grass and made a coffee oh and put the colour on my roots ( peroxide ) And i used my own light saving me £100. the colours are Fantastic so i am Converted. LOVING IT! thanx Georgie u fab x Elisa looking forward to owning th full set x gold sparkle will be next or erm erm lol

Hi Jack - can I ask if she removed the tacky layer of foundation with a gel brush or with cleanse? When I trained the foundation was not to be removed as the first coat of colour needs to adhere to it. I just use a clean gel brush round the cuticle area to remove any possible flooding.

Also if she was curing for 3 minutes, I think that is too long. My lamp has a 3 minute timer and I was originally using the timer but having issues so now I "do what it says on the tin" 1 min, 2 mins, 2 mins.

Ok so we can all go around and around and it will never stop , we all have product we like we love or we hate or we use because we get asked to !!!! in MY oppinion ! i ordered shellac 2 mth ago. i waited and waited for the lamp !!! no lamp so i tried my own uv . it did not work , i got my customers all excited about this product ! THEN AS I CANT USE IT THEY FOUND SOMEWHERE THAT DID :sad::sad::sad: 5 lost clients.... thanx shellac Anyway after reading threds on Sunday i discovered gelish, i e-mailed georgie right away . i got prices first thing monday am . help with the colours and a VERY VERY friendly customer service:D any way im sat here with Gossip girl shining away on my fingers . ive done 2 waxes, (men) cut the grass and made a coffee oh and put the colour on my roots ( peroxide ) And i used my own light saving me £100. the colours are Fantastic so i am Converted. LOVING IT! thanx Georgie u fab x Elisa looking forward to owning th full set x gold sparkle will be next or erm erm lol

I'm wearing Good Gossip too! It's gorgeous lol! :D

Hi Jack - can I ask if she removed the tacky layer of foundation with a gel brush or with cleanse? When I trained the foundation was not to be removed as the first coat of colour needs to adhere to it. I just use a clean gel brush round the cuticle area to remove any possible flooding.

Also if she was curing for 3 minutes, I think that is too long. My lamp has a 3 minute timer and I was originally using the timer but having issues so now I "do what it says on the tin" 1 min, 2 mins, 2 mins.

i Agree xx do what it says x whoo ho ive just ordered more x the new ones are fantastico . i've a photo of gossip girl on my photos x:D

She removed it with a dry gel brush. She said if she cured for only 2 minutes it was sometimes dull, so she always does 3.

Seems to me that people are not folowing the insr¡tructions from the company itself .. but as I said i DO NOT WISH TO ETCH THE NATURAL NAIL SO i WILL STICK TO SHELLAC WHICH does what it says it does and with far less steps .. much more simple and I've never had a problem with -Shellac - not a single one and it takes less time and looks more natural in my professional opinion. I have no interest in the glitter colours from Gelish as my clients are not interested in them but prefer creme colours and if I did have a client who wants glitter then I CAN DO IT WITH SHELLAC and glitter.

She removed it with a dry gel brush. She said if she cured for only 2 minutes it was sometimes dull, so she always does 3.

Seems to me that people are not folowing the insr¡tructions from the company itself .. but as I said i DO NOT WISH TO ETCH THE NATURAL NAIL SO i WILL STICK TO SHELLAC WHICH does what it says it does and with far less steps .. much more simple and I've never had a problem with -Shellac - not a single one and it takes less time and looks more natural in my professional opinion. I have no interest in the glitter colours from Gelish as my clients are not interested in them but prefer creme colours and if I did have a client who wants glitter then I CAN DO IT WITH SHELLAC and glitter.
sounds like your just being very negative about Gelish! I have both systems and both are great, apart from the fact in my opinion shellac has peeled a bit quicker of my clients nails, but that could be their homecare.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm wearing Good Gossip too! It's gorgeous lol! :D
Gossip girl is the new one its a fab hot pink and i love it :D:D my toes are next for my holidays xx

tried that the. glitter is Verry messy lol. i had it everywhere , so this is a godsend as i do a few dancers x

gelish has a range of glittery, shimmery, metallic and creme finishes... something for everyone

Everyone has opinions and here is mine;-

I have used Shellac since it was launched and I love it, and I love the service from Fingertips.

Luckily I was super organised and I have not run out of stock yet, but I have been waiting 8 weeks for Tutti Frutti and Romantique which ironically arrived today.

To ensure that I did not disappoint my clients I decided to source a similar alternative to Shellac and chose Gelish.

I realise both are different but I explain that to my clients.

My Gelish experience. customer service excellent, and has a large range of alternative colours to Shellac.

Applied to my own nails today and they look fab so far. Application took me 20 seconds longer on each hand than for Shellac and I can assure you the shine is comparable with Shellac. time will tell if it dulls later but it certainly hasn't peeled or dulled and I have been wearing it for 7 hours now! Maybe it's my application but it is as thin looking as both polish and Shellac.

Jackbrooks-- as a fellow Calgel user I only remove the shine from the nail plate with a 240 grit as I did with Calgel. I have never seen in any instructions for Gelish a requirement to "etch" the nail plate. Having never used Brisa I cannot be sure but I believe shine is removed from nail plate(same as Gelish) Having only sampled CND L & P (I am just not cut out for L & P) I believe only shine removal is required for this system also.

As you use all of the above systems (from reading your profile) I am at a loss as to why you feel removing the shine for each of these products is ok - but not for Gelish??

Let's be very clear here I LOVE SHELLAC

AND SO FAR I AM LOVING GELISH.

to be honest I personally found your post bordering on hysteria in your defence of Shellac.

In my opinion Shellac need no defending it is a wonderful product but there are many wonderful products in the nail world and there is a place for them all.

Hi Jack,

You are stating that Shellac is UV3 technology; do you know what this is? I have tried searching, (excuse me if I got impatient looking!) but I don't understand what it is.:o

In addition, the nail world is a very huge place, there's room for everyone! so there's no need for us to be comparing; I personally haven't tried Shellac, but there's very respectable and experienced people on this site and others alike who have tried it, and I value and trust their opinions that Shellac is indeed a wonderful product and does what it says it does.

I would however like to put something straight here regarding Gelish, it does not peel, chip, or lift, and has the most amazing shine, in factv it would be impossible for anything to be shinier....I'm sure Shellac is the same. Now please don't misunderstand me; I am not accusing you of lying! but we all know that there can be teething probolems and there certainly has been with Shellac too, but as it turns out, there were things being done incorrectly.

To say that the rep may have done something wrong? I won't say that either. I am not here to make accusations, or to compare, or to tell you Gelish is better. But what I will say are the facts:
  • Gelish was launched in May of 2009
  • It was being developed for 3 years prior to launch
  • Was developed in a dedicated lab
  • It has a patent pending (applied over a year ago)
  • And does exactly what is says it does!!!!
I don't know the full story or answer to your experience, but there are many many more positive threads about gelish than negatives and this is what you should listen to.
Here's another forum you should visit; I have added the link to the search page, just search Shellac or Gelish, there are hundreds there you should look at. BeautyTech.com :: Search

Regarding etching the natural nail, there have been users who do not and have had no problems, however, the manufacturers instructions clearly state that you should remove the shine. This is simply done by using a soft sponge buffer which will in no way damage the natural nail.

Re Gelish being another soak off gel, this is also incorrect. It has a degree of strength to it, more so than polish, but it too is a hybrid, or FUSION between Gel and Polish, you can smell the polish in it just as you can with Shellac (as I've seen mentioned here).
Why do you think Harmony called it Gelish!! :D

We should all live together in HARMONY and aks questions as to what may have gone wrong rather than comapring. There are always reasons behind REPUTABLE products having problems so it's best to get to the reason behind the problem rather than what comes across as negativity.

There's enough room for all of us!!!

Here's a little Harmony for you all.............xxx

Everyone has opinions and here is mine;-

I have used Shellac since it was launched and I love it, and I love the service from Fingertips.

Luckily I was super organised and I have not run out of stock yet, but I have been waiting 8 weeks for Tutti Frutti and Romantique which ironically arrived today.

To ensure that I did not disappoint my clients I decided to source a similar alternative to Shellac and chose Gelish.

I realise both are different but I explain that to my clients.

My Gelish experience. customer service excellent, and has a large range of alternative colours to Shellac.

Applied to my own nails today and they look fab so far. Application took me 20 seconds longer on each hand than for Shellac and I can assure you the shine is comparable with Shellac. time will tell if it dulls later but it certainly hasn't peeled or dulled and I have been wearing it for 7 hours now! Maybe it's my application but it is as thin looking as both polish and Shellac.

Jackbrooks-- as a fellow Calgel user I only remove the shine from the nail plate with a 240 grit as I did with Calgel. I have never seen in any instructions for Gelish a requirement to "etch" the nail plate. Having never used Brisa I cannot be sure but I believe shine is removed from nail plate(same as Gelish) Having only sampled CND L & P (I am just not cut out for L & P) I believe only shine removal is required for this system also.

As you use all of the above systems (from reading your profile) I am at a loss as to why you feel removing the shine for each of these products is ok - but not for Gelish??

Let's be very clear here I LOVE SHELLAC

AND SO FAR I AM LOVING GELISH.

to be honest I personally found your post bordering on hysteria in your defence of Shellac.

In my opinion Shellac need no defending it is a wonderful product but there are many wonderful products in the nail world and there is a place for them all.

Sorry Martigirl.....we overlapped and you posted while I was writing.....well said, my sentiments exactly!!! we overlapped in thought there didn't we!!

Hey Georgie! Excellent explanation!

How may polish ranges are there in the pro market??? Loads. Room for all!

Shellac was the first to market here and, 'hats off to them'! Great marketing and it 'does what it says on the bottle'! I've tried it for months and love it.

I'm in the process of trying Gelish and so far so good!

I will always speak as I find! CND and S2 are fabulous. Harmony is very new here. Georgie isn't new to me and she is an amazing technician and I wish her every success in her new venture.

I truly believe this massive step up in professional services is the way technicians should be going. Why wait for polish to dry in a professional environment when these new concepts are available?

I repeat: room for all! Results and customer service (from the professional suppliers) are 'king'.

Technicians need to look very carefully at what is available, keep an open mind and learn from their suppliers. Of course there will be problems but a good supplier will support any technician through these.

We have just entered a new era. A very welcome one!

Hi Jack,

You are stating that Shellac is UV3 technology; do you know what this is? I have tried searching, (excuse me if I got impatient looking!) but I don't understand what it is.:o

Re Gelish being another soak off gel, this is also incorrect. It has a degree of strength to it, more so than polish, but it too is a hybrid, or FUSION between Gel and Polish, you can smell the polish in it just as you can with Shellac (as I've seen mentioned here).
Why do you think Harmony called it Gelish!! :D

We should all live together in HARMONY and aks questions as to what may have gone wrong rather than comapring. There are always reasons behind REPUTABLE products having problems so it's best to get to the reason behind the problem rather than what comes across as negativity.

There's enough room for all of us!!!

Here's a little Harmony for you all.............xxx

I did the same looking! LOL! And after research the term UV3 (according to CND) means that it is a UV product that does not include Formaldehyde, Toluene or DBP (Dibutyl Phthalate)
That's all--nothing that many other companies are not also doing.

I have been saying this for ages, there is room for all brands be they Gelish, Shellac, Geleration and any others that might be out there. As far as I am concerned if they do the same job, keep their shine with no chipping or peeling or wearing of the free edge, remove in 10 minutes then they are fine by me. The reason I chose Gelish over Shellac, as I have stated before, is that they have more of the colours that I and my clients prefer and in general they now have 48 colours as opposed to the 12 and 24 in September that Shellac have.

If I saw some colours in Shellac that I liked in the future that weren't available in the Gelish range then I would stock them.

There are many brands out there that are fantastic quality and with an open mind you can offer your clients the very best of everything. It is exciting and I have enjoyed watching the excitement of all users over the last couple of months. What I don't understand is the animosity that sometimes creeps into, what should be, a fun and informative thread.

I received my first batch of new colours this morning and was planning on my second next month but I am going to order them today as I was blown away by the colours. :D:D:D

I have been saying this for ages, there is room for all brands be they Gelish, Shellac, Geleration and any others that might be out there. As far as I am concerned if they do the same job, keep their shine with no chipping or peeling or wearing of the free edge, remove in 10 minutes then they are fine by me. The reason I chose Gelish over Shellac, as I have stated before, is that they have more of the colours that I and my clients prefer and in general they now have 48 colours as opposed to the 12 and 24 in September that Shellac have.

If I saw some colours in Shellac that I liked in the future that weren't available in the Gelish range then I would stock them.

There are many brands out there that are fantastic quality and with an open mind you can offer your clients the very best of everything. It is exciting and I have enjoyed watching the excitement of all users over the last couple of months. What I don't understand is the animosity that sometimes creeps into, what should be, a fun and informative thread.

I received my first batch of new colours this morning and was planning on my second next month but I am going to order them today as I was blown away by the colours. :D:D:D

As i cant rep you (got to spread the love!) just wanted to say i totally agree. It would be a much nicer experience for all if it didnt have to have the 'them and us' feeling if you decide to choose one over the other. As long we're all happy with are own choices surely we should all be able to have a little respect for each other!

Although i'm not in the position to be able to purchase either of these products yet, i too have enjoyed reading about them and seeing the enthusiasm for them. xxxxx

Latest posts

Back