Gelish Gel Polishes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having had regular contact with Gelish users they are telling me that although the demo video shows a light buff of the natural nail as part of the prep they are not doing this & the product wear is not affected at all. I have spoken to the distributor of this product & been told that although they recommend a light buff over the top coat before removal (with acetone & wraps) this is only to speed up the removal process, they can actually just be soaked off without any filing.

As far as I can see the application, wear & removal steps for both systems are remarkably similar. Some folks here may find that hard to swallow, but there it is!

For those who have experienced BOTH products, what are your thoughts?

Well you have mentioned the other bee in my bonnet.For years buffing off the shine on a nail to secure an enhancement has never been an issue when done with the right grit etc now its suddenly so much better when you dont have to so whats the truth.
Shellac,Gellish,the new Jessica polishes,OPI axiom etc etc let them stand alone and sell in their own right but not at the expense of knocking the well established and excellent coloured gel products that have been around for much longer that they are not supposed to be like anyway because they are not a gel.

Last edited:
Not knocking the soak off gel Market personally, but as far as I can see this is being marketed at clients who have good natural nails & are not in need of the strength of any enhancement system. Currently 95% of my client base are enhancement customers, they will not be going for this type of product in the main, I see this as a new product that will entice more natural nail people to become more regular customers simply because the product is instantly dry & last way beyond the timescale of a polish.

I think the one thing that we are all agreed on is that we love these new products, whatever they might be! :D

At the end of the day shellac and gelish are semi permanent nail polishes and no they dont offer the strength,

i bought a GELISH colour and the top coat a couple of weeks ago to try... im super impressed with the durability of the product and have gone ahead and ordered some more colours and cant wait for the new colours to get here

no buffing
went on like a polish
super glossy finish
lasted 2 weeks
no lifting, no chipping, no dulling (i did gardening, washing etc etc...)
no buffing for a soak off, peeled off in 10 minutes

ps if you ever get ocean wave i warn you this colour is AMAZING !

Gillian, I think you are right, Shellac is not necessarily a good replacement for the Calgel.
In fact, I think Shellac is a good product to use alongside Calgel.

I have recommended Shellac in Coloured gel threads, but usually because the poster is having certain problems with their gels, i.e. colour fade, colour discolouration etc.. Shellac has such perfect colour pigmentation that if you tried it, I think you will also be pleased.

I am also a Calgel user as you may know, in fact, I have recently passed my Calgel Premier Status course which makes me also a die hard Calgel user too, so I understand completely where you are coming from.

I personally don't think that one can replace another, you can build a nail with Calgel while you can not with Shellac. What Shellac does, however, is to open a new client type for you to so you can continue to improve on your well earned business. Clients who are natural nail care clients, or clients who doesn't like gel because of certain reasons. Sell it to them, don't mentioned the word 'gel' and watch them get addicted.

It has worked for me, I hope it can work for you too..? :D

You have clarified my point There are now hard gels,soak off gels, L and P acrylic and now soak off polish and they should all be treated as separate or complimentary and also there should be respect for each company.I will be honest and say im quite upset that if a problem with calgel is mentioned its followed by a post that says Shellac doesnt do that or shellac doesnt do this when its not supposed to be the same anyway. Would it be mentioned in an l and p post for instance.If its a permanent polish then thats what it is it doesnt have the same properties of Calgel or bio which are enhancement gels and very very successful and you could almost say everyone else has jumped on their bandwagon.

Last edited:
hi i had the rep in for the gelish polish and she applied it to one of my nails and within hours it was chipped.....and all i had been doing was shopping. lol. so this has left me with doubts. also they were looking 330 for starter kit and training. does shellac need any training? nail harmony hasn't started off on the right foot with me cos of the chipping. what would happen if this was a client?
Posted via Mobile Device

perhaps she did not cap your nails properly?

Ive had my gelish on for nearly two weeks and they are doing well.

I think everything has its place, it will be interesting to see in the near future what ingredients are missing from each

I cant see it being any different, the same as I believe Calgel and Bio -sculpture are the same

This may rumble on and on until we see

On a lighter note, im so looking forward to introducing the gelish colours to my new clients:D

You have clarified my point There are now hard gels,soak off gels,acrylics and now soak off polish and they should all be treated as separate or complimentary and also there should be respect for each company.I will be honest and say im quite upset that if a problem with calgel is mentioned its followed by a post that says Shellac doesnt do that or shellac doesnt do this when its not supposed to be the same anyway. Would it be mentioned in an l and p post for instance.If its a permanent polish then thats what it is it doesnt have the same properties of Calgel or bio which are enhancement gels and very very successful and you could almost say everyone else has jumped on their bandwagon.

In the main they are treated as a complimentary service. What you have to remember is that this is a public forum & individuals will add comments about their preferred product whatever the title of the thread! If you read this thread from the very beginning to end you will find mentions of other products more times than I can count even though this is a Gelish thread, it's the nature of the beast!

Ive had my gelish on for nearly two weeks and they are doing well.

I think everything has its place, it will be interesting to see in the near future what ingredients are missing from each

I cant see it being any different, the same as I believe Calgel and Bio -sculpture are the same

This may rumble on and on until we see

On a lighter note, im so looking forward to introducing the gelish colours to my new clients:D

I agree, everything has it's place.

I've Gelish Ocean Wave with a light coat of Mint Icing over the top (gives a lovely turquoise colour) on my toes for the last 5 weeks and it still looks amazing. I wear it over my L&P enhancements and it would last longer than 3-4 weeks except you can see the growth and I have one nail that the Gelish is on the natural nail. There's no difference in the wear, they all look the same and they're still shining.

I love it :D

I love Gelish, think it is easy to apply and have just soaked off my acrylics and Gelish'd my fingers today and loving it! I'm also Bio Sculpture and Pronails trained but love the fact that Gelish looks so natural!

Try it you won't be disappointed!!!

nailtechsupply.com supply gelish but cant find a uk supplier. Good offers on this site.

nailtechsupply.com supply gelish but cant find a uk supplier. Good offers on this site.
Hi there, if you google harmony uk im sure it will direct you to the uk site, also if you are on facebook that search will def help you find what your looking for! X
Posted via Mobile Device

Nail Products, Gelish, Reveal, Gels
a whole lot of colours are being shipped over from the USA and are due on tuesday, totalling 48 colours

although they dont have the specials on site yet there are 3 packages to choose from (similar to the US site) give them a call and they will help you.

the new colours looked fab on Facebook

I have all the new colours & the range is simply stunning!!

They came today & I am like a kid in a sweet shop!!:lol::lol:

Waiting for mine, they should be here tomorrow! One of my friends text me today to say she has hers now and she is thrilled with the colours! :D

Waiting for mine, they should be here tomorrow! One of my friends text me today to say she has hers now and she is thrilled with the colours! :D

Sheila, did your colours not come :sad:.
they were sent yesterday, give us a call in the morning and i'll track for you.

Thanks for all your excitement
xx

It was late yesterday that I ordered so I thought it would be a miracle if they did come, it will be fab tomorrow though!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi guys, I had some gelish applied on my nails with the directions of one of the geeks on this thread. The directions were simular to the cnd shellac, except to different curing times ofcourse.
this geek explained that you didn't need to etch the natural nail at all!. So I thought great, still preserving the natural nail like we do with all cnd systems. To cut a long story short after having my nails gelished, about 4hours later they started to peel off from the sides of the free edge and slight lifting in the middle of zone 2!!! I'm a little dissapointed as so many people have compared this product to SHELLAC but to me its nothing like it. Gelish is super flexable which is good, but the adheision behind the product doesn't compaire to shellac also the shine of gelish isn't as bright or glossy as shellac, the most dissapointing factor is that you have to etch the natural nail! So it doesn't preserve the natural nail in a great way. So to me gelish is completly different to sheliac. Shellac is UV3 tecnology! Gelish is not.
Shellac has strong adhesion,its super flexable yet still slightly firm, has a blinding glossly shine, doesn't shrink like gelish, and lasts 2 weeks and doent age!
Shellac is a one of a kind! To me there's nothing that is the same as shellac or better at this moment in time.
I'm my opinon gelish is a soak of gel so simular to so many brands.

Hi guys, I had some gelish applied on my nails with the directions of one of the geeks on this thread. The directions were simular to the cnd shellac, except to different curing times ofcourse.
this geek explained that you didn't need to etch the natural nail at all!. So I thought great, still preserving the natural nail like we do with all cnd systems. To cut a long story short after having my nails gelished, about 4hours later they started to peel off from the sides of the free edge and slight lifting in the middle of zone 2!!! I'm a little dissapointed as so many people have compared this product to SHELLAC but to me its nothing like it. Gelish is super flexable which is good, but the adheision behind the product doesn't compaire to shellac also the shine of gelish isn't as bright or glossy as shellac, the most dissapointing factor is that you have to etch the natural nail! So it doesn't preserve the natural nail in a great way. So to me gelish is completly different to sheliac. Shellac is UV3 tecnology! Gelish is not.
Shellac has strong adhesion,its super flexable yet still slightly firm, has a blinding glossly shine, doesn't shrink like gelish, and lasts 2 weeks and doent age!
Shellac is a one of a kind! To me there's nothing that is the same as shellac or better at this moment in time.
I'm my opinon gelish is a soak of gel so simular to so many brands.

The application of Gelish needs to be very very thin. I use a buffer to take the shine off the nail. If the foundation gel is too thick it can flood the cuticle area which will cause lifting or bubbling. (I take a clean gel brush and wipe round the cuticle area). When you apply the first coat of colour it can apply quite streaky, do not go over it to make it even. The second coat will cover evenly. The Top It Off should also be very thinly applied and the free edge should be capped with every coat. Also when you using a full hand lamp the client needs to try and lift the thumb up so as the gel doesn't flood the side wall.

When I first started using Gelish I was applying it too thick in places and was getting bubbling or peeling, but now I have no problems at all.

Foundation - Cure 1 min UV lamp
Gelish Colour - 2 min UV lamp
Top It off Sealer - 2 min UV lamp

Latest posts

Back