Grammar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi , I just wanted other peoples views on the matter of spelling and grammar .

I just wondered if people classed others as being a bit dim if their spelling and grammar was not entirely correct ?

I know my grammar is not always up to scratch ,
this is because I was never taught the importance of grammar at school.

I would love my grammar to be correct but I am unsure about all the full stops and commas let alone the hyphens and other things on my key board ect .

My spelling is mmm ok, but sometimes other peoples can be a lot worse,
but I wouldn't class them as being less intelligent,
as they may be dyslexic .

I love to see well written threads and posts on here that are all grammatically correct.

I love the way some people have that natural gift,
( like dare I say ? Victoria ) has a beautiful interesting flow with grammatically correct written posts and threads ,

Anyway no matter how hard I try to use full stops commas, and other thingies ,
they sort of scare me in case I haven't used them properly,

So here is my question;
do other people see people as less intelligent if they find it difficult to be grammatically correct ?

Thank you in advance x .

doesn't bother me !

Text talk gets on my wick but i can live with a few spelling mistakes and a comma in the wrong place...Lifes to short to get stressed about it!

Amb x

Doesn't bother me too much either but like Amber text talk get me as do posts that have no paragraphs, it makes them so hard to read and I usually don't when they are like that.

It doesn't make me think the person is less intelligent, it just makes his/her post less intelligible!
If you know what I mean, I can cope with the lack of grammar, but most people have a spellcheck , and I never post without using spellcheck

However the one thing that can stop me reading a post is the lack of paragraphs!
If it is all squashed up in one big block, then my old eyes just cannot cope!!

as do posts that have no paragraphs, it makes them so hard to read and I usually don't when they are like that.

ah yes:green: that's another pain !

Amb x

Totally Izzi, lack of paragraphs is a complete turn off to reading posts.

We wouldn't slur, cover our mouths or use slang if we were speaking to someone in person and wanted to be understood...same difference. x

I have to admit that I'm a bit of an SPG stickler! More so for my own posts though. I don't presume anybody to be less intelligent just because they may misuse a comma or do something equally as outrageous!:lol:

I must say that the incorrect placement of apostrophes winds me up immensely though!

I have to admit that I'm a bit of an SPG stickler! More so for my own posts though. I don't presume anybody to be less intelligent just because they may misuse a comma or do something equally as outrageous!:lol:

I must say that the incorrect placement of apostrophes winds me up immensely though!

I spy another 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' aficionado here then!!!

As an ex Legal Secretary, i personally think that your post was very well written. I found it well laid out, and easy to read.

There was no problem with your commas, they all seem to be in the correct places, which also makes the post quick to read through.

Well done

ps wish my posts were all as good, i've become terribly lax with al things grammatical :green:

I was very intersted to see this post! I'm so glad someone has brought it up!

Now, I am awful at maths. I have a calculator under my reception desk to check that I'm giving people the right change/discounts etc. I just don't have a mathematical brain. That certainly doesn't make me thick!

However... Spelling and grammar is my bug bear! I don't necessarily consider someone thick if they have less than perfect grammar, but I do always notice it and it is my pet hate! I am especially grated by the misuse of words like your/you're and they're/there/their. Not so much for things like thread posts or texts, but when you see it in advertisements and price lists etc. it really is bad. And don't get me started on CV's! :mad:

I wonder how many spelling mistakes I've made in this post!? Ha ha... :lol:

I was very intersted to see this post! I'm so glad someone has brought it up!

Now, I am awful at maths. I have a calculator under my reception desk to check that I'm giving people the right change/discounts etc. I just don't have a mathematical brain. That certainly doesn't make me thick!

However... Spelling and grammar is my bug bear! I don't necessarily consider someone thick if they have less than perfect grammar, but I do always notice it and it is my pet hate! I am especially grated by the misuse of words like your/you're and they're/there/their. Not so much for things like thread posts or texts, but when you see it in advertisements and price lists etc. it really is bad. And don't get me started on CV's! :mad:

I wonder how many spelling mistakes I've made in this post!? Ha ha... :lol:

spotted one:green::hug: do i get a prize?

Ha ha! I knew I would! It's sod's law isn't it! Write a post about spelling, and you're bound to make a mistake! :)

I've got a real thing about spelling and grammar - can't help it, it was beaten into me at school in the good old days.:lol:

To me, it isn't a matter of intelligence, it is up to all of us to make ourselves as clear as possible. Spellcheck helps and reading your own posts back would help in a lot of cases.

I regard text speak as lazy and insulting.

in the good old days.:lol:
ahhh... those were the days eh Adele? not that I would know of course LMAO :twisted: :lol:
(I'm awaiting a slap smilie from you now lol)

Seriously though...
It doesn't bother me in threads really, although I do try my hardest to reply with my best 'English'.

Text talk is another matter completely and it really does DO MY HEAD IN :grr:
I consider it very rude, when we're an international web forum where English isn't everyone's first language, text talk doesn't translate very well into other languages!

When us mods (me in particular lol) see a thread/post with a lot of text talk in it we will edit it to 'proper English' and we also edit thread titles to correct spelling when we notice them, it's better for the search facility when titles are spelt correctly :wink2:

I don't see it as a lack of intelligence when grammatical errors are made, we are all individuals and we all have our own fortes, spelling and grammar might not be our strongest points, but you can bet your azz that we ALL have other strengths that other people don't possess! :idea:

ahhh... those were the days eh Adele? not that I would know of course LMAO :twisted: :lol:
(I'm awaiting a slap smilie from you now lol)

Seriously though...
It doesn't bother me in threads really, although I do try my hardest to reply with my best 'English'.

Text talk is another matter completely and it really does DO MY HEAD IN :grr:
I consider it very rude, when we're an international web forum where English isn't everyone's first language, text talk doesn't translate very well into other languages!

When us mods (me in particular lol) see a thread/post with a lot of text talk in it we will edit it to 'proper English' and we also edit thread titles to correct spelling when we notice them, it's better for the search facility when titles are spelt correctly :wink2:

I don't see it as a lack of intelligence when grammatical errors are made, we are all individuals and we all have our own fortes, spelling and grammar might not be our strongest points, but you can bet your azz that we ALL have other strengths that other people don't possess! :idea:

Consider yourself :smack::smack::smack:

Cheeky bugger:lol:

Last edited:
As a teacher, I have to admit I often notice spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. They just jump out at me. Having said that, I'm sure I make mistakes too!

I go by the content of the post to judge a person's intelligence, rather than the spelling, etc. If the post is sensible that's enough for me. Having said that, a lot of people do make assumptions based on spelling, etc. Due to this I do think that leaflets, websites, pricelists and so on must be correct.

Marion xx

As an ex Legal Secretary, i personally think that your post was very well written. I found it well laid out, and easy to read.

There was no problem with your commas, they all seem to be in the correct places, which also makes the post quick to read through.

Well done

ps wish my posts were all as good, i've become terribly lax with al things grammatical :green:
You beat me to it. I couldn't see anything wrong with it. xxx

Ah... I'm also glad someone's bought this up.

Again, I'm not especially clever and am also awful at maths but have a real things about spelling/grammar. I'm by no means calling myself an expert but some simple things really get my goat....for example;

as someone already mentioned, people who can't get the difference between your/you're and there/their/they're!!! I won't patronise by explaining the differences.

The other main thing I see on here is ect instead of etc! It's short for the word etcetera! (Et cetera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - for anyone that's a loser like me and enjoys reading those things!)

I think it's about being courteous.
If we expect others to read and better yet, respond to our post, it shouldn't be too much to expect us to have a read over before hitting 'submit'.

Latest posts

Back