Hot Wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
We have recently been doing our hot wax assesments at college and I have decided that I actually really like using it!! Much to my surprise.:lol:

I was just wondering how many of you use it for bikini and underarm rather than warm wax and if so do you charge extra because the treatment time is longer?

And also, if I do decide to invest, which is the best brand? I know I've read good things about Perron Rigot on here from Axiom I think.

We have recently been doing our hot wax assesments at college and I have decided that I actually really like using it!! Much to my surprise.:lol:

I was just wondering how many of you use it for bikini and underarm rather than warm wax and if so do you charge extra because the treatment time is longer?

And also, if I do decide to invest, which is the best brand? I know I've read good things about Perron Rigot on here from Axiom I think.

Yup, I love it! :lol: I have a pot of both soft (strip) and hard (non-strip) wax on the go at all times in the salon, and I find the non-strip stuff invaluable for underarms, bikini-lines, intimate waxing, necklines, all facial waxing, and I also use it on chests and backs when I encounter particularly stubborn blighters.

You can use it anywhere, in fact, although your product costs and timings would obviously increase. If you're using one of the newer generation hard waxes, it makes things like leg and arm waxing virtually painless (seriously, I am normally a complete baby when it comes to getting hair pulled out!), but the technique is a little bit different - when using hard wax over larger areas, it goes on incredibly thinly and gets pulled off very gently and at half the speed you would use a strip wax. No more figure-of-eights needed with the newer hard waxes, either, as the wax will 'shrinkwrap' the hair as it cools and it also stays nice and flexible, making it easier to remove.

It's no secret that I love Perron Rigot, but other brands I have played with and liked are Depileve, Lycon (their Lycojet waxes in particular), and Hive (film waxes). Eager Beaver also mentioned Reference peelable wax on a recent thread.

My advice regarding the increased product cost and treatment time is to incorporate it into your pricing structure, so yes, I personally would charge slightly more for using hot/hard wax.

Andy x :D

Yup, I love it! :lol: I have a pot of both soft (strip) and hard (non-strip) wax on the go at all times in the salon, and I find the non-strip stuff invaluable for underarms, bikini-lines, intimate waxing, necklines, all facial waxing, and I also use it on chests and backs when I encounter particularly stubborn blighters.

You can use it anywhere, in fact, although your product costs and timings would obviously increase. If you're using one of the newer generation hard waxes, it makes things like leg and arm waxing virtually painless (seriously, I am normally a complete baby when it comes to getting hair pulled out!), but the technique is a little bit different - when using hard wax over larger areas, it goes on incredibly thinly and gets pulled off very gently and at half the speed you would use a strip wax. No more figure-of-eights needed with the newer hard waxes, either, as the wax will 'shrinkwrap' the hair as it cools and it also stays nice and flexible, making it easier to remove.

It's no secret that I love Perron Rigot, but other brands I have played with and liked are Depileve, Lycon (their Lycojet waxes in particular), and Hive (film waxes). Eager Beaver also mentioned Reference peelable wax on a recent thread.

My advice regarding the increased product cost and treatment time is to incorporate it into your pricing structure, so yes, I personally would charge slightly more for using hot/hard wax.

Thanks Andy :hug:

So with the Perron Rigot would you use it with the traditional application method that I've been taught at college - apply in 3 layers, against, with, against? Or is it one of the new generation waxes you mentioned?

Thanks Andy :hug:

So with the Perron Rigot would you use it with the traditional application method that I've been taught at college - apply in 3 layers, against, with, against? Or is it one of the new generation waxes you mentioned?

The Perron Rigot hard waxes are new-generation, so you only need to apply one layer in the direction of hair growth. Much easier to use! They also go on much thinner than the traditional hot waxes, so you save both time and money - but you still get the same excellent results on short, coarse hairs that hot wax is famous for! Same goes for the other new-generation hard waxes by Hive, Depileve and Lycon that I mentioned above.

Having said that... if you prefer the multi-layer, figure-of-8 application of the traditional hot waxes, most of the brands above also offer a traditional-style hot wax in their line-up, so there's something for everyone! :D

Hope that helps and I haven't just confused the issue! :D

Andy x

I have to agree with you i do like hot wax better for coarser hair and enjoy the application of it but i find that i go for strip waxing in the salon, most people don't care or know about the difference and certainly wouldn't be up for paying more money as it takes longer, however if someone talks about a sensitive reaction previously or if they specifically ask about waxes i always offer the two choices xx

I have to agree with you i do like hot wax better for coarser hair and enjoy the application of it but i find that i go for strip waxing in the salon, most people don't care or know about the difference and certainly wouldn't be up for paying more money as it takes longer, however if someone talks about a sensitive reaction previously or if they specifically ask about waxes i always offer the two choices xx

And would you charge extra for the hot wax?

not for the odd one here and there but if i did every bikini, back and underarm wax with hot wax it would increase my treatment times so i would need to revise my pricings x

With the new style hard/flexible waxes the treatment time isnt much slower, as whilst one is hardening, you are applying another strip elsewhere. Once a client has had a treatment with these waxes, from my experience, they dont go back to strip waxing. they are not as uncomfortable, leave no residue and alot less erythema- it definatly pays to go down this route, and that will earn you ore money in the long run.
As for treatment cost, you only need to add alittle more for product cost, and clients will pay it when they can see and feel the benefits- you can try a patch on their own to convert them if need be.x

i might have to get some perron rigot, i use old fashioned hard wax, hence the additional timings for layering up, do you order direct or do any of the main wholesalers stock it? if anyone has a link that would be great xx

i might have to get some perron rigot, i use old fashioned hard wax, hence the additional timings for layering up, do you order direct or do any of the main wholesalers stock it? if anyone has a link that would be great xx

Esther, Perron Rigot is distributed in the UK through Thalgo - I will PM you their details, and you can also check out their website at depilatory waxes and beauty care - Perron Rigot

I have never used hard wax (as I use sugar paste) but would love to undertake a training course in this as it is always useful to offer another service.

Do you know Andy of anyone who runs just a hot wax course using these new generation hot waxes?

I have never used hard wax (as I use sugar paste) but would love to undertake a training course in this as it is always useful to offer another service.

Do you know Andy of anyone who runs just a hot wax course using these new generation hot waxes?

I'm pretty sure that Hive run a hot wax course using their film waxes, and I know Salon Systems do as well but I've not used their hot wax so I don't know what it's like.

Thinking aloud here... would anyone be interested if I put something together for a one day Geeky Waxing Workshop in London, for people to get a chance to play with these new generation hard waxes? It would need to be early July time, as I'm pretty chocka before that. As well as getting a chance to practice with the wax, I'd see it as an opportunity to share tips and experiences with each other, and I could also show a few men's waxing techniques if folks were interested.

It's just a thought, but what do people think? :)

Andy x

id definately be up for that. I am getting more and more enquiries from men re waxing and even though i am condfident at doing them, I dread the day I get a BSC. I wouldnt turn business away but wouldnt want to hurt anyone there!!!! Even though if i did it in small sections and took a little longer to begin with im sure they wouldnt mind. Taking longer that is not hurting them lol.

Must admit though that the best wax around for intimate areas has to be euroblonde by perin regiot. It is the bees knees as far as way is concerened imo. I use this for all areas now except legs and my clients are very impressed with it. I have people asking for it by name.

Worth the extra few pennies and less pain!!!

I'm pretty sure that Hive run a hot wax course using their film waxes, and I know Salon Systems do as well but I've not used their hot wax so I don't know what it's like.

Thinking aloud here... would anyone be interested if I put something together for a one day Geeky Waxing Workshop in London, for people to get a chance to play with these new generation hard waxes? It would need to be early July time, as I'm pretty chocka before that. As well as getting a chance to practice with the wax, I'd see it as an opportunity to share tips and experiences with each other, and I could also show a few men's waxing techniques if folks were interested.

Andy x

I would love to do this as it is hard to know how to use a new wax just by looking at the tin! This shrinkwrapping pain reducing wax sounds great!

Count me in please :hug:

Thinking aloud here... would anyone be interested if I put something together for a one day Geeky Waxing Workshop in London, for people to get a chance to play with these new generation hard waxes?
Andy x

I would definitely be up for it. You don't mind that I have never ever been near hot wax - LOL.

I am being asked more and more for hollywood, bsc and just don't feel I have the necessary expertise to undertake these treatments, so any course at all would help towards an advanced course.

Andy x

I would love, love, love to!! :lol:

I would possibly have a problem with travelling up there (little kids, husband etc :rolleyes:) but if you have enough takers I'd do my very best to come.

Just a thought bu im in bedfordshire not far from stevenage, hitchin etc. If you want to have a look and a little play you can always pop round to me!!!! PM me

Andy x

ooh count me in definately!!:green:

I would love to but it would depend on cost of travel etc. I can fly cheaply to stansted and luton I think

hey andy

i am up for a hot wax workshop

i only used hot wax when i was training

Latest posts

Back