How are you all really finding semi-permanent mascara!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think it was worthwhile training in SPM & were you happy with the training?

• Yes I think it is worthwhile and I was happy with the training.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • Yes Yes I think it is worthwhile but I was not happy with the training.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Yes I think it is worthwhile but wish I had trained with another company

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • No I wish I hadn't done the training

Votes: 37 41.6%

• Total voters
I had a removal yesterday, the client's lashes where so naturally curley so the product looked amazing on them. She said she loved them for the first few weeks but then tey got annoying when the started to break down. She said their great for holidays but wouldn't wear them all the time. I find this is a mutual feeling with a lot of other clients who like it!

The same as all my clients. I have not yet had one returning client who has wanted it on straight away after removal. Have to say I have applied mine to myself twice and after 2 weeks of it breaking down I need to take it off so I can understand where they are coming from. Apart from 1 client who only had it on for a week as hated the feeling, all been positive. Am glad I added it to my treatments :D

With regard to the original question. I trained myself and all my therapists in CryBaby. A few clients love it but more of them don't. I'd say 1 in every 10 was thrilled but most wanted it removed almost straight away.

I paid a lot of money and closed the salon for a day so we could all train. We trained in lash lift as well and think this may be more the way to go combined with a tint.

It's a matter of managing clients expectations, our trainer clearly told us that the lash extension clients wouldn't like it as it is not a substitute and to market it as a mascara look. However most of our lash ladies wanted to try it, now I have damage limitation to do.

I agree with the comment about marketing to clients with glasses, it's also good for short term holiday wear, weddings etc. But I wish I had held back and waited for more feedback because I wouldn't have done it.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Goodness haven't posted on the geek for an age, but after the battering Geeg has had on what should have been a straight forward thread I thought I'm having my say too.

I trained in Myscara back in May. Currently do EE as well and was interested in the use of SPM as a midway between tint and ee. That is it's place I think.

I thought for the time spent on training that it was very overpriced and that there could have been a longer time given to the theory side of it. But as I already have multiple quals it wasn't too big an issue.

I've done quite a few sets since and initially marketed it as the wonder product we have been led to believe it is. Soon changed my tune as at 2 weeks my Myscara was breaking down a tad. Anyway, have now amended my discussions with clients about it to give it a more temporary feel, for holidays or for if you are too busy to apply layers of mascara every morning.

I explain it as a "tint on steroids" as I really feel this is what it is. Many of my clients have booked and received it as a holiday treatment but most will not rebook for continual wear and personally I'm not expecting them too.

Whatever product you use you have to believe in the hype that is given to it and I personally think that SPM has been over hyped but still has it's place as an add on.

Also, I've been using it along side corner flick ee to bolster the other lashes to match a little more. Clients are liking this option

Lastly, as I said at the beginning I haven't posted on the geek for ages and ages, as I too along with many other posters here find the blinkered views and accusational posts too much to bear on a regular basis. I also search for the thread I'm after and get out quick before I can get shot down in flames for looking. Love the geek but it needs to be more friendly it's lost the friendly feel it used to have.

Goodness haven't posted on the geek for an age, but after the battering Geeg has had on what should have been a straight forward thread I thought I'm having my say too.

I trained in Myscara back in May. Currently do EE as well and was interested in the use of SPM as a midway between tint and ee. That is it's place I think.

I thought for the time spent on training that it was very overpriced and that there could have been a longer time given to the theory side of it. But as I already have multiple quals it wasn't too big an issue.

I've done quite a few sets since and initially marketed it as the wonder product we have been led to believe it is. Soon changed my tune as at 2 weeks my Myscara was breaking down a tad. Anyway, have now amended my discussions with clients about it to give it a more temporary feel, for holidays or for if you are too busy to apply layers of mascara every morning.

I explain it as a "tint on steroids" as I really feel this is what it is. Many of my clients have booked and received it as a holiday treatment but most will not rebook for continual wear and personally I'm not expecting them too.

Whatever product you use you have to believe in the hype that is given to it and I personally think that SPM has been over hyped but still has it's place as an add on.

Also, I've been using it along side corner flick ee to bolster the other lashes to match a little more. Clients are liking this option

Lastly, as I said at the beginning I haven't posted on the geek for ages and ages, as I too along with many other posters here find the blinkered views and accusational posts too much to bear on a regular basis. I also search for the thread I'm after and get out quick before I can get shot down in flames for looking. Love the geek but it needs to be more friendly it's lost the friendly feel it used to have.

Couldn't agree more!- been put right off with slanging matches and some of the comments people write to each other on here! Shocked x

quick update, had my myscara removed and whilst waiting got chatting to mum from school also waiting to have hers removed, she hated it too but said her mum loved it as she wore glasses and hadnt been able to wear regular mascara for years. however she thought it was well overpriced and it was a shame as she'd happily pay to have it applied every cpl weeks if it was affordable. perhaps those offering spm could tailor a package for clients who wear glasses - reduce price little when booking a course of treatments, or book 5 treatments get 6th free or half price etc ??
personally im really glad i held back for once, will use the money i saved to do advanced ele training and threading once ive passed :)

I couldnt stop laughing at 'tint on steroids'!! :lol: im gonna use that one :D

Hi,

I did the SPM training two weeks ago with a friend, we are both qualified in EE and thought great this is an alternative for people that don't want so much WOW factor.

I was very excited about the training, but am not in love with the product, and frustrated by a few thing - warning they are kinda petty things !!

firstly having to use my own kit on the training - was not cheap training I felt the stuff needed to train with should of been provided.

We bought one kit between us to save some money as we had most of the other bits already in it - got home looked online for curlers, found exactly the same ones for less than half the price charged.

day after the course - discover a fume free version has been released - if there had been advertisment on this I'd of waited as I prefer to use fume free around the eyes.

Trainer was lovely, but course was over subscribed and handouts were poor -

Having said all that I got home took it off and started again and achieved a better look - I'm unsure what I can realistically charge for it as its not what I would deem as very special, am hoping the more i use it the more I'll love it, but at the moment am thinking it's basically eyelash glue, as I can't find any fibres in it lol

My friend however is totally in love with it, has completed all her test cases and likes it more with each application - so fingers crossed I'll feel the same too in a week or two.

Sorry to drag on. x

Hi,

I did the SPM training two weeks ago with a friend, we are both qualified in EE and thought great this is an alternative for people that don't want so much WOW factor.

I was very excited about the training, but am not in love with the product, and frustrated by a few thing - warning they are kinda petty things !!

firstly having to use my own kit on the training - was not cheap training I felt the stuff needed to train with should of been provided.

We bought one kit between us to save some money as we had most of the other bits already in it - got home looked online for curlers, found exactly the same ones for less than half the price charged.

day after the course - discover a fume free version has been released - if there had been advertisment on this I'd of waited as I prefer to use fume free around the eyes.

Trainer was lovely, but course was over subscribed and handouts were poor -

Having said all that I got home took it off and started again and achieved a better look - I'm unsure what I can realistically charge for it as its not what I would deem as very special, am hoping the more i use it the more I'll love it, but at the moment am thinking it's basically eyelash glue, as I can't find any fibres in it lol

My friend however is totally in love with it, has completed all her test cases and likes it more with each application - so fingers crossed I'll feel the same too in a week or two.

Sorry to drag on. x

I actually don't think you are being petty at all. I think you have given a balanced view with both positive and negative points for and against the training

Poor handouts and an oversubscribed course particularly is not a good start.

Using your own kit (although I agree and it really annoys me too), sadly most companies for training do that.

The one big thing I would be disgusted at is the new product launching the day after your training and you not knowing anything about it~!!!!

That would have been a killer for me!!!

Last edited:
I had the myscara applied just before my holiday about three weeks ago. It looked good initially but after a about a week - whilst on holiday - it began to get clumpy. To my horror, on close inspection, I could see that some of my eyelashes had broken off and were being held together by the "clump". I've since had it removed and would not recommend it to anyone as I now have "bald" patches. Lesson learnt not to tamper with what nature gave you! :(

I had the myscara applied just before my holiday about three weeks ago. It looked good initially but after a about a week - whilst on holiday - it began to get clumpy. To my horror, on close inspection, I could see that some of my eyelashes had broken off and were being held together by the "clump". I've since had it removed and would not recommend it to anyone as I now have "bald" patches. Lesson learnt not to tamper with what nature gave you! :(

Were the lashes separated when the product was applied? If so surely the reason for the clumping would be something getting on the lashes and causing them to clump together. Once they do this you will have problems with one lash pulling on the other.

On holiday we use products and come into contact with all sorts of chemicals in pools etc, that we could not normally experience. It is probably suntan lotion or something like that which has broken the product down. Shame really, I don't use Myscara, but I find my SPM a godsend as my own lashes are so rubbish and this gives a much better look than ordinary mascara.:D

I normally go for a eyelash tint before holiday but was told that myscara would be more effective and longer lasting. Paid £35. From looking at other discussion threads, the "clumping" appears to be a common problem as does lash fall out. I'm certainly not in the practice of putting suntan lotion on my eyes! As for swimming etc - I was of course on holiday and had the Myscara applied specifically for this reason. Oil free make up remover used whenever necessary. Glad it works for some; personally I will stick to good old waterproof mascara/usual eyelash tint from now on.

Have sent a PM to resolve this. Clumping is not due to the product and lash fallout etc

Seriously??!! Cant believe your still posting after everyone getting so annoyed! You dont have to mention to the rest of us that you PM people back. I use your product and I do really love it but your annoying the hell out of me and making the product look bad as you have to jump in and defend it!! Do you not see that what your doing is not good customer service?

Let's not let the thread deteriorate again ... Everyone can see what is happening. I'm not even looking at the pole results as they don't reflect at all what has been said on this thread so some must be posting and not commenting. :|

Someone has mentioned they went for the SPM as an alternative to the WOW eyelash extensions. Have you tried LVL? I've recently got this in, which is why I won't be getting SPM. It gives really really nice results, that clients have worn on holiday and everything has been fine. I had a client who had it done for her wedding who loved it.

Just an alternative :)

Did the MYscara training last month. Waited what seemed like ages (lol) for a London trainer and jumped on it immediately…. One of my colleagues followed me also as she had heard me raving about it from everything I had previously read on here.

The trainers were lovely… really nice people but we came away very disappointed in the product itself. Really wish we had waited for more reviews before jumping in feet first.

Trainer kept saying “wow that looks great” but we couldn’t understand what looked so great about it. During training had it applied to one eye only - came home and not one person noticed it – even after I prompted them.

We’re hoping that maybe after more practice we’ll turn a corner and see what a wonderful product it is…. Hasn’t happened yet but some people on here still praising it so maybe we’re doing something wrong.

Also can’t understand why charging more if not EE trained as nothing seemed to be geared towards this. Was told that there would have been more theory if not EE trained, however seemed to me like a level 2 or eye treatments cert. would have been suffice. Didn’t have to separate the lashes as with EE whatsoever.

We’ve paid for 2 lots of training and 2 kits so we’re going to persevere…..for now

where we trained was one flat fee - regardless of previous experience, so I guess depends on the trainer

Actually I just thought, this might be good to offer to clients who have had botox.
My therapist had botox a couple of weeks ago and it is fab. Problem is, she can't actually lift her eyelid now.
When she puts her mascara on she gets it all over her lid and then has to wipe it all off after.
She goes out after work on a Thursday so she applies her make-up before she goes out. I sat there laughing at her last week with mascara all over her lids. :idea:

ha ha, so funny :)

I've been considering the spm training for possibly lower lashes with semi-perm lashes, this has all made some very interesting reading.
Some of the photos I have seen are not what I would like my lashes to look like (but i understand most of those are newbie pics), coming from a semi-perm lashes background I am possibly being unfair as comparing them to that. Will watch with interest xx

Let's not let the thread deteriorate again ... Everyone can see what is happening. I'm not even looking at the pole results as they don't reflect at all what has been said on this thread so some must be posting and not commenting. :|

I asked Ange to add the poll as I had been planning to do one myself and it seemed pointless me doing one separately, as this thread is actually what I wanted to know. To be honest only 56% (current fig.) being pleased they did the training, and with their choice of provider, has completely made my mind up, that I don't want to do it.

And yes, it could be all trainers and their friends who have said they ARE pleased...

I trained in crybaby in July , two of my daughters had it applied before holiday in Spain , it was absolutely fantastic. During the time it was on towards the third week,it was feeling a little dryer,but once they had warm shower the water would soften, eyes and bounce them back up! I removed them after just after 3 weeks (as they had them more like a full mascara look, because teenagers love that look),and that really is long enough, as obviously it could get uncomfy as naturally eyelashes were recycling! I think the cost of having them applied is expensive not sure if clients will want to pay rrp. ( I have done special price as new treatment). I mainly do hairdressing and for my clients I believe it will be a good extra treatment to offer! I love it!!!

If I could turn the clock back I wouldn't have done the training. It didn't seem too high a price when advised to charge at least £45. But £20 seems the right price and given that you need to do patch test, then approx 45min treatment and then remove the product (sure they don't wanna pay extra) it's too time consuming for the money, esp if mobile! I now wished i'd invested my money in LVL.

But I'm told they're developing the product all the time so hoping that it improves and clients feel happier with it. The people i've done it on have looked very disappointed when handed the mirror and seeing the result and i'm quite confident in the actual procedure! I would now shy away from doing very short lashes as the result is poor.

Latest posts

Back