Is Chit Chat really working as a Forum?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If for example we have 5 threads started about roadshows which may start off as potentially nail related, but then due to the nature of the posts, turn into chit chat, then they get moved.

Example - are you going to the roadshow in Leeds, yes I am, ok then I will see you there, where are you staying, such and such a hotel, oh maybe we can all meet for a drink, sounds like a good idea - etc etc. This may be started as a nail thread but is it really? I dont think this is a real thread, but hopefully you get the drift.

We do have to make judgement calls and we dont always get it right for everyone but we do try.

If anyone objects or wonders why their thread gets moved, then why not ask one of the mods.

I know what you mean regarding threads turning into conversations Fiona....but isn't that hat this commandment is about??

3 - Thou shalt Private Message if thy post is for one person.
Posts like 'hey sally, give me a buzz' is like texting 10,000 people in hopes that one of them will be the person you are trying to talk to. If your message is for 1 person, PM it. If its for more, post it!

Now the site has been updated we have visitor messages as well as PM's to have these types of conversations on.

Surely if a thread is Nail related in the Nail Forum and it starts to go off topic it would be easier for you as Mods to remind us of this Commandment than to move the whole thread and have some people miss any relevant information in it.

I also just don't get the 'international' interest clause that has been added of late, to me if its about Nails I want to read it, and I don't want to have to search it out in Chit Chat.

I honestly think this has made too much work for our Mods who have a hard enough job as it is, I know I have had to contact them a couple of times as I have been confused why certain threads had been moved.

If old timers on the site like myself get confused....I dread to think what it is like for the newbies!

To everyone who appreciates the work that the Mods do and feel our job is a difficult one - TBH threads like this just make more work for us as we have to read through every one and then justify ourselves and the decisions we make.

I personally think that this thread may have a hidden agenda - not sure what it is yet, but as this is a situation which only one person can rectify, then it should actually have been a PM.

Sam is the only one who could make the decision to add forums and sub forums.

We have guidelines which we try to work to to the best of our ability and personally I wish we were left to get on with it and as has been said numerous times on this thread already, if you have a problem with it then let us know directly rather than do another thread.

I think its all extremely well set out and moderated i think adding more forums takes it longer to negotiate.
What does annoy me are obscure headings like Help or can anyone tell me so from the heading you have absolutely no idea what the post is going to be about.
I think its all a load of nit picking and everyone should stop whinging everythings fine as it is.

To everyone who appreciates the work that the Mods do and feel our job is a difficult one - TBH threads like this just make more work for us as we have to read through every one and then justify ourselves and the decisions we make.

I personally think that this thread may have a hidden agenda - not sure what it is yet, but as this is a situation which only one person can rectify, then it should actually have been a PM.

Sam is the only one who could make the decision to add forums and sub forums.

We have guidelines which we try to work to to the best of our ability and personally I wish we were left to get on with it and as has been said numerous times on this thread already, if you have a problem with it then let us know directly rather than do another thread.

Is it not sometimes a good thing to also get the opinions of others though?

For me I'm happy to try and figure out where I'm meant to post, I don't mind particularly, but I have to say I can get a little confused too.:)

I personally feel that for a site as big as this we do ok....if someone see's a thread thats in the wrong forum and we have missed it then just give us a nudge...:)

Maybe an example via link to one of the questionable threads might help to see where you are coming from Derek

I think its all extremely well set out and moderated i think adding more forums takes it longer to negotiate.
What does annoy me are obscure headings like Help or can anyone tell me so from the heading you have absolutely no idea what the post is going to be about.
I think its all a load of nit picking and everyone should stop whinging everythings fine as it is.

well said...I love it when you get angry Gill:hug:

On the surface, it does seem logical to have all discussions about a profession in their corresponding forum and not Chit-Chat. However there are some exceptions that make it a real challenge to follow through as some threads do not constitute a real discussion and/or have a natural lifespan that serves no purpose after a particular time frame.

Primarily they are event centric threads:

'I am going to blahblahblah event and gee, I am so happy I could dance'.

Speaking on behalf of the other 19,000 members; we are happy for you too. However this type of thread should be a blog entry. Not a professional discussion.

'Have you heard about the blahblahblah sale/training day/workshop/fillintheblankwithanothersalescentricannouncement'?

Though once valid (and some still are), these types of threads have quickly become the 'in' way for company's to generate free advertising. Members are literally being asked to make these threads in order to circumvent policies put in place to try and keep the site spam free for your enjoyment. What really grabs my goat (even though I have never even owned a goat) is that the person posting is being used, the members of the site are being conned and the company's benefiting can't even be bothered to support the site they are taking advantage of!

baaaaack to the point (hmmm... baaa? Further proof I have never owned a goat)

I agree that all professional related threads should go in their corresponding forum regardless of their targeted locality. However until a better solution comes along for event discussion threads that have little discussion value and a natural life span I see no other alternative than to have them in Chit-Chat or blogs.

The only exception that I can think of would be Show related threads as they are generally in support of the industry as a whole.

I hope this helps and as always...

GEEK ON!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it not sometimes a good thing to also get the opinions of others though?

The above quote is what I am trying to say.

I always have appreciated how hard the mods work and the job that they do.
I try always, never give them extra work by posting in the wrong forum.

This is what I was trying to say "I get confused sometimes". Full Stop!

I have an opinion to which I am entitled, I certainly don't have an agenda

If I am confused about a thread being moved I pm a mod, as I have done in the past.

I do not have a problem with rules or where threads go, I was merely giving my opinion that I find it confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to cut to the chase her but from what I see is far to much focus on issues that really are obviouse to a monkey.

We all know the Mod's are great and do a good job...the Geeks generally are fantastic ,the postings good and of help to others and this is a site where we can all have an input no matter what our station in life is(within the rules of the site of course)

For goodness sake lets focus on what we are all here for and stop making everyone so nervouse about how,what ,where ,why,did I spell that right,did I use a :eek: instead of an :lol:

Also I do find sometimes comment's on Hidden agenda's an absolute insult to those who are mearly trying to express themselves or be of assistance to someone asking for it.

so if you are black,white,fat,thin,tall or short or simply find it difficult to communicate in the written form or where to best put a posting ....just do your very best..if in doubt Pm a mod..that's what there there for.

We will all make many mistakes both here on this site as well as throughut life in general ...the main thing is to learn by them and do your best to consider others when making statements.

I cannot for the life of me understand why more effort and focus is not put into posativity and developing this wonderfull industory in which we all work and depend on.

There is so much skill,knoledge and support on offer to those requesting it..so for goodnes sake lets get down and do this:hug:

I look for posts tht I may be interested in, I know I have the ability to only search professional topics.

But I like a sticky at almost anything (incase I miss out).

To be honest the.male.geek, you have been a member from July 2006 with very few posts since, (it's now 2008), are you really concerned enough to warrant this kind of suggestion/action?

What difference does it make how many posts someone has made in the time that they've been a member? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Anyway, it's not quantity we're interested in, it's quality.

Last edited:
I look for posts tht I may be interested in, I know I have the ability to only search professional topics.

But I like a sticky at almost anything (incase I miss out).

To be honest the.male.geek, you have been a member from July 2006 with very few posts since, (it's now 2008), are you really concerned enough to warrant this kind of suggestion/action?

He may not have posted as much as you Carl but is perfectly entitled. In the posts I've read from the.male.geek it has been a pleasure to note that his posts are free from sarcasm and snide remarks.

Lets stick in my two penny worth :lol: I love the chit-chat forum as life cant all be work and no play can it? And i think this forum is easily set out easy to access and also chit chat area to relax :green:

Absolutely agree, Joanne, I'm a big fan of the chit-chat forum. I'd hate to see it banished. The nails forum is where we exchange professional advice etc, and that's wonderful, but it's in the chitchat forum that I really feel I get to know people's characters

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you may have misunderstood Derek. I think he's not saying that we should get rid of Chit Chat, I think he's saying that some threads in Chit Chat are useful to pro's and therefore should be allowed in say Nails or Skin forum. I think !

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you may have misunderstood Derek. I think he's not saying that we should get rid of Chit Chat, I think he's saying that some threads in Chit Chat are useful to pro's and therefore should be allowed in say Nails or Skin forum. I think !

I think you're absolutely right Kim! I was just posting what I was thinking, which probably wasn't stricly relevant :lol: but it did relate to a post a way back on this thread but I can't remember who by lol

I think you have hit the nail on the head Kimmi...of course no one wants to do away with Chit Chat....it is a good release valve sometimes !!

I am sure the point of this was to distinguish between what nail topics are for the Nail Forum and which are not...when all we are really thinking is shouldn't they all be in the Nail Forum!!

Correct me if im being dumb but i dont really see the point to this thread? Maybe its just me ....:confused:x

am sure the point of this was to distinguish between what nail topics are for the Nail Forum and which are not...when all we are really thinking is shouldn't they all be in the Nail Forum!!

Exactly! I certainly have no hidden agenda, I'm just wanting to look at nail threads without having to hunt them out.

Lets stick in my two penny worth :lol: I love the chit-chat forum as life cant all be work and no play can it? And i think this forum is easily set out easy to access and also chit chat area to relax :green:

I agree I thought it was just for that chit chat or maybe i have got it all wrong :eek:

Latest posts

Back