Is Chit Chat really working as a Forum?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree with you marion....i do really like chit chat.
I think the point of this thread was to just see what the reason was for why nail related threads were being lost within this forum. I dont see that there was any hidden agenda to it. But sam has cleared up the reasons for it for me. He can see what derek was trying to say and may look at it i the future from what i gathered......thats good enough for me.
(have to say there was a slightly worrying obsession with goats.......sam i think you need a holiday)

I am really not sure what to say to this thread. I too am wondering why we are spending time reading and responding to this rather than responding to matters at hand - nails, hair and skin!

What can I say... you could always create your own site!!

Sorry if that sounds negative and I know it does... just find this type of thread so frustrating... and tiring!!! :irked: Sorry but that's how I feel ... and i know Sam has responded in a positive manner... but I feel like pulling my hair out! :rolleyes:

I look for posts tht I may be interested in, I know I have the ability to only search professional topics.

But I like a sticky at almost anything (incase I miss out).

To be honest the.male.geek, you have been a member from July 2006 with very few posts since, (it's now 2008), are you really concerned enough to warrant this kind of suggestion/action?

Thanks for your observations there Carl, very insightful. Whilst there can be no debate over the number of posts I have made, had you actually thought to ask why that may be (via a pm - which would have been the correct method), I would gladly have answered you in private. But since you have chosen to ask on the open forum, then I shall give you my reasonings.

The bottom line is, although I am not a nail technician, I am heavily involved in the industry; salon owner, distributor and play a part in the organisation of our Scottish Education network. I know enough about the industry to make judgements on a nail technicians work, can spot a good tech a mile off and understand quite a bit about the chemical relationships etc of products. I also have a knowledge of how the industry works and of the way that each "piece" fits together.

What this does not give me though - in my mind anyway - is the right to enter all dialogue on the site, for example technical discussions etc. I know my limitations, but equally I know my strengths, which allows me to make a judgement of when and where it is approprite for me to post.

I may not play as active a part in terms of posting as some on here. But there are more than a few members on here who will testify that I have the industries - and this sites members - best interest at heart.

I am really not sure what to say to this thread. I too am wondering why we are spending time reading and responding to this rather than responding to matters at hand - nails, hair and skin!

Sorry if that sounds negative and I know it does... just find this type of thread so frustrating... and tiring!!! :irked: Sorry but that's how I feel ... and i know Sam has responded in a positive manner... but I feel like pulling my hair out! :rolleyes:

sorry I am tired!:rolleyes:

sorry I am tired!:rolleyes:

For God sakes Samantha, anyone would think you owned the site. Oh yeah, I fogot...........you do. :hug:

For God sakes Samantha, anyone would think you owned the site. Oh yeah, I fogot...........you do. :hug:

but never mind... let all take pot shots where they may! :zzz: I really am going to bed! You can really tell I'm tired now! :smack:

To everyone who appreciates the work that the Mods do and feel our job is a difficult one - TBH threads like this just make more work for us as we have to read through every one and then justify ourselves and the decisions we make.

I personally think that this thread may have a hidden agenda - not sure what it is yet, but as this is a situation which only one person can rectify, then it should actually have been a PM.

Sam is the only one who could make the decision to add forums and sub forums.

We have guidelines which we try to work to to the best of our ability and personally I wish we were left to get on with it and as has been said numerous times on this thread already, if you have a problem with it then let us know directly rather than do another thread.

Fiona, whilst agreeing that only Sam could modify the forum headers or sub headers, does that really mean that dialogue cannot be had on how things are at the moment?

If one person sends a pm, it doesn't really open up debate does it? I think I've proved by starting the thread that others may feel the same.

There is no reason for anyone - and I don't mean you personally - to get hypersensitive on the matter. I asked a question, sought opinion, and if no-one agrees then fine. So far though, I would say we're about 50/50 with those that have contributed.

On the surface, it does seem logical to have all discussions about a profession in their corresponding forum and not Chit-Chat. However there are some exceptions that make it a real challenge to follow through as some threads do not constitute a real discussion and/or have a natural lifespan that serves no purpose after a particular time frame.

Primarily they are event centric threads:

'I am going to blahblahblah event and gee, I am so happy I could dance'.

Speaking on behalf of the other 19,000 members; we are happy for you too. However this type of thread should be a blog entry. Not a professional discussion.

'Have you heard about the blahblahblah sale/training day/workshop/fillintheblankwithanothersalescentricannouncement'?

Though once valid (and some still are), these types of threads have quickly become the 'in' way for company's to generate free advertising. Members are literally being asked to make these threads in order to circumvent policies put in place to try and keep the site spam free for your enjoyment. What really grabs my goat (even though I have never even owned a goat) is that the person posting is being used, the members of the site are being conned and the company's benefiting can't even be asked to support the site they are taking advantage of!

baaaaack to the point (hmmm... baaa? Further proof I have never owned a goat)

I agree that all professional related threads should go in their corresponding forum regardless of their targeted locality. However until a better solution comes along for event discussion threads that have little discussion value and a natural life span I see no other alternative than to have them in Chit-Chat or blogs.

The only exception that I can think of would be Show related threads as they are generally in support of the industry as a whole.

I hope this helps and as always...

GEEK ON!

Sam, Thanks for a very well put and stuctured response. I cannot speak for everyone involved in the distribution and education market in the UK, and would certainly not wish to.

I can only tell the story from my side, and rest assured I do not have the energy, nor wish to put members in such a position where they are being "used". Certainly in Scotland anyway that would be a waste of my time and resourses, as only a tiny fraction of salon owners and technicians that I speak to or visit on a regular basis up here use this site.

That's not to say that I don't use the site to my advantage of course I do. Like everyone on here, I get something out of every visit I come on. That may be an insight into some technical wizardry one day, or to help enable me to gauge what presses peoples buttons or floats their boat. This of course helps in some way to give me a flavour of what works, or doesn't in the industry.

In return, when I can I give back what I can. That may be to post in a topic that I have a full understanding of, or more recently giving out my salon free of charge to enable a Geeky Waxing Workshop to take place.

Were there any strings attached, a sub plot or anything sinister going on? Well no actually, it was just something that felt right and good to do and be a part of. I'm sure the members who were there would agree.

Sam, Thanks for a very well put and stuctured response. I cannot speak for everyone involved in the distribution and education market in the UK, and would certainly not wish to.

I can only tell the story from my side, and rest assured I do not have the energy, nor wish to put members in such a position where they are being "used". Certainly in Scotland anyway that would be a waste of my time and resourses, as only a tiny fraction of salon owners and technicians that I speak to or visit on a regular basis up here use this site.

That's not to say that I don't use the site to my advantage of course I do. Like everyone on here, I get something out of every visit I come on. That may be an insight into some technical wizardry one day, or to help enable me to gauge what presses peoples buttons or floats their boat. This of course helps in some way to give me a flavour of what works, or doesn't in the industry.

In return, when I can I give back what I can. That may be to post in a topic that I have a full understanding of, or more recently giving out my salon free of charge to enable a Geeky Waxing Workshop to take place.

Were there any strings attached, a sub plot or anything sinister going on? Well no actually, it was just something that felt right and good to do and be a part of. I'm sure the members who were there would agree.

Having attended that workshop and I 100% agree Derek, yours and Christine's hospitality to the Scottish Geeks was amazingly generous, and at not time did I feel that you had offered your support and salon for any other reason than to facilitate the best possible event possible, I for one never felt at any time that your kindness was anything other than a genuine desire to allow Scottish Geeks a great day .

I am not an Ezflow user yet although the support and encouragement I have had from The Scottish team has been wonderful. I have attended a Roadshow which was brilliant, purchased a Time to Shine collection and told it would work with any L & P system I chose.

I buy my Mundo products from Derek as they are supportive of me as a small end user and as a Geek they have met through this site.

I may choose to use Ezflow in the future but I have never been SOLD to or in any way felt pressured to purchase EZflow.

I am going to butt out now because I feel I don't express myself as clearly as I would like with the written word.

I just press everything new and then go through all the posts this way I dont miss anything :) I do feel that we do have enough sub sections and to add even more would get confusing I mean what next each company having their own section :rolleyes:. Also lets not forget that apart from the money from the premium geeks this site is not cheap to run, I feel that everyone does there best but We cant please everyone all of the time. Although I know what the orginal poster derek was saying I dont think it would make sense to add more sections.

that's one sweet (forgive the pun) lady speaking..and from the heart...well done for that :hug:

I agree Lellipop, and I don't think anyone really wants any more sections.

I think the point of this thread was to clarify what should be in the Nail forum as opposed to Chit Chat as the goalposts seem to have been moved in recent times.

I think the Mods have put their position over very clearly, and a good debate has ensued....I for one have found it interesting and not in the slightest bit boring!!

Hopefully some people have also taken note of some of the points raised, and will keep conversational posts confined to Pm's or visitor messages and blogs.

Therefore more interesting and easy to follow nail threads will follow!! in the correct forum of course!

Cheers!

I agree Lellipop, and I don't think anyone really wants any more sections.

I think the point of this thread was to clarify what should be in the Nail forum as opposed to Chit Chat as the goalposts seem to have been moved in recent times.

I think the Mods have put their position over very clearly, and a good debate has ensued....I for one have found it interesting and not in the slightest bit boring!!

Hopefully some people have also taken note of some of the points raised, and will keep conversational posts confined to Pm's or visitor messages and blogs.

Therefore more interesting and easy to follow nail threads will follow!! in the correct forum of course!

Cheers!

Totally agree babes and I think that this thread will highlight just what is needed in chit chat and what isnt and make the mods load a tad ligher.
So lets keep it positive and all have a group hug:hug:

I'll probably be accused of stirring up a hornets nest here, but that is not my intention......

I'd like to ask the question of the users of the site as to whether they feel the segregation of topics on the site is being handled in the most effective way possible at present?

Currently for a "nail" topic to be deemed acceptable for the Nail Geek Forum, it must meet certain criteria. It must for instance be a topic of interest to Nail Technicians internationally - so discussions around USA or UK events etc are not under the current format, acceptable. Below I have quoted the subtext from the forum title:

Nail professionals discussing all aspects of hand and foot care.

So, if I'm reading this correct - and feel free to shoot me down if I'm wide of the mark - the Nail Geek forum should really only be focusing on the technical aspects of "the job", comments and views on internationally available products and brands, and perhaps aspects of the job that effect everyone no matter if they are based in Warrington or Washington.

Right ok, so that's all well and good, I think i've got that bit sussed! Where I am struggling here is to see how the next level - or tier - of nail related discussion is handled. At the moment they are fit only for the Chit Chat forum, and again below I have taken the oppertunity to quote the sub header of the forum title:

General chit chat and off topic posts. Please post non nail related topics here.

My point is this; are we really doing the topics that relate to the nail industry - albeit not internationally - justice by throwing them in the mix with a selction of random topics?

For instance at the moment we have topics such as:

Money saving tips for the house?
The most annoying advert and
Jamie olivers new cookbook all running in the Chit Chat forum

These threads sit along side industry based topics, that although perhaps not relevant to the masses, they certainly are to - in most cases - significant numbers of technicians.

I'm a member of a few other forums - non beauty related - and have looked at many others and i cannot honestly for the life of me think of another site which deems industry related threads to be off topic. Generally off topic is exactly that, and these sections are utilised by members for "chilling out".

It should be remembered that this site is essentially a "business forum", so why then do we - in my mind anyway - belittle a topic relating to "our business" by grouping it with such random threads?

The folk that run this site do a fantastic job at operating and maintaining it. This thread is not a dig or slight in anyway - just an observation.......

I'd welcome your views.
When I first joined this site moderators were not so strict on moving non international nail threads to chit-chat, the Nail Forum was full of threads that were relevent only to those geeks in that particular area.

I often found that the threads that were relevent and of interest to me were being overlooked because of the number of threads about what was going on in the UK.

So for me YES it does work.

Although it isn't something I would lose sleep over I am with Derek on this one and feel that nail related threads belong in the nail forum and there are issues that could be missed if they were placed in the chit chat forum. Because of this I go through all threads and decide from the complete list what I read and respond to.

Dont think there is any need to add another forum though.

Is it really so hard to click on all posts and scan through the threads?

It's the easiest way to make sure that nothing is missed and doesn't really take up that much more time!

If you hold your mouse over the thread title you can read the first line and it gives a hint as to what the thread is about, then you have a choice to make... "to click or not to click", that is the question! :wink2:

I personally feel,everyone is entitled to their opinion and ALL our comments and thoughts are valid,even if we disagree,we should respect that.

I appreciate Derek this thread was about debate :hug: However IMHO Sam is THE only one who can make any changes,he has posted on thi thread in depth and has justified himself to one and all,this thread could go on for another 10 pages,but when push comes to shove he's the boss and he has spoken :lol:

Happy geeking everyone :Love:

I think its just all fine the way it is! If people do post in the wrong section then its the mods job to put it where it should be which i do think they do a brilliant job and keep this website in tip top order. I think that if you put every single thread related to nails in the nail forum it would be too cluttered as i already think there are loads and loads of posts in their anyway because every time i come back i have to go on the second page to catch up with whats been going on. Its fine the way it is :green:

I would also like to add if its a serious issue with nails or fully to do with a nail then it should be in the nail forum. But if its to do with lets say uniform,books etc then it doesnt matter if its in chit chat because it would get answered its not 100% serious or important because nail geeks still go in chit chat and answer it xx

Is it really so hard to click on all posts and scan through the threads?

It's the easiest way to make sure that nothing is missed and doesn't really take up that much more time!

If you hold your mouse over the thread title you can read the first line and it gives a hint as to what the thread is about, then you have a choice to make... "to click or not to click", that is the question! :wink2:

I enjoyed this thread....and I understood fully what Derek was trying to say...

However....:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe I am an airhead....and I breeeze through life like a fat dancing fairy....

but I just go to the top of the page....click on Whats New and then on the Last 24 Hours...or Everything New...

I then go down the page....hovering over all the thread titles....( hence my quotation of Sandi )......

Whether or not I open up and read further can usually be guaged from that millisecond operation!!!!!

I am not bothered what forum it is in...it really doesn't make any difference to me.... If it interests me...or I can learn from it....then super duper...

Or better still....I use my favourite 'button' SEARCH.

I enjoy every part of this site....I don't like sticking to one aspect of it because although I am only a 'NAIL' person....I still pick up interesting information from the SKIN and HAIR forums too....Chit Chat is fantastic too...
so I just look through everything as a whole...I don't care if it is in the wrong forum because it ain't gonna kill me if heaven forbid I should read something that was out of place!!!!!! :lol:

You said it !!!!:)

But when I say it, it's open season on Carl ......, as Vicky would say ... "do I look bovvered"?,

well no, but yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, but yeah sometimes I am.

I actually don't comment unless it's valid. I also check what people have contributed in the past when a post such as this unnecessarily raises it ugly head.

If you really don't want to miss out on anything, check out all the posts., in all the forums.

Latest posts

Back