Is Chit Chat really working as a Forum?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-male-geek

Reaction score
I'll probably be accused of stirring up a hornets nest here, but that is not my intention......

I'd like to ask the question of the users of the site as to whether they feel the segregation of topics on the site is being handled in the most effective way possible at present?

Currently for a "nail" topic to be deemed acceptable for the Nail Geek Forum, it must meet certain criteria. It must for instance be a topic of interest to Nail Technicians internationally - so discussions around USA or UK events etc are not under the current format, acceptable. Below I have quoted the subtext from the forum title:

Nail professionals discussing all aspects of hand and foot care.

So, if I'm reading this correct - and feel free to shoot me down if I'm wide of the mark - the Nail Geek forum should really only be focusing on the technical aspects of "the job", comments and views on internationally available products and brands, and perhaps aspects of the job that effect everyone no matter if they are based in Warrington or Washington.

Right ok, so that's all well and good, I think i've got that bit sussed! Where I am struggling here is to see how the next level - or tier - of nail related discussion is handled. At the moment they are fit only for the Chit Chat forum, and again below I have taken the oppertunity to quote the sub header of the forum title:

General chit chat and off topic posts. Please post non nail related topics here.

My point is this; are we really doing the topics that relate to the nail industry - albeit not internationally - justice by throwing them in the mix with a selction of random topics?

For instance at the moment we have topics such as:

Money saving tips for the house?
The most annoying advert and
Jamie olivers new cookbook all running in the Chit Chat forum

These threads sit along side industry based topics, that although perhaps not relevant to the masses, they certainly are to - in most cases - significant numbers of technicians.

I'm a member of a few other forums - non beauty related - and have looked at many others and i cannot honestly for the life of me think of another site which deems industry related threads to be off topic. Generally off topic is exactly that, and these sections are utilised by members for "chilling out".

It should be remembered that this site is essentially a "business forum", so why then do we - in my mind anyway - belittle a topic relating to "our business" by grouping it with such random threads?

The folk that run this site do a fantastic job at operating and maintaining it. This thread is not a dig or slight in anyway - just an observation.......

I'd welcome your views.

The non-pro threads in ChitChat are marked as Way Off Topic or Happy Birthday, if not by the thread starter then by one of the moderators, the Way Off Topic heading shows that it's non industry related, there aren't too many of those when you look at how many threads are posted on here every day.

Personally, I think there's a good balance on the site and with more and more members using their blogs we're seeing less and less Off Topic threads on the forums.

I think I get what you mean Derek. I always click on 'posts in the last 24hrs' and scan down to see if I can help with waxing first, then read anything else that catches my eye, so I don't bother to see what forum it's in.

I understand the confusion. If for example I started a thread on the best way to remove hair on the legs, I would post it in Skin, but if I wanted to start a thread on how the new wax strips I'd bought kept splitting, I'd be unsure and post that in Chit Chat which seems odd, as surely this subject would be of interest to waxers.

Am I rambling? Thought so. Bye. xxx

The non-pro threads in ChitChat are marked as Way Off Topic or Happy Birthday, if not by the thread starter then by one of the moderators, the Way Off Topic heading shows that it's non industry related, there aren't too many of those when you look at how many threads are posted on here every day.

Personally, I think there's a good balance on the site and with more and more members using their blogs we're seeing less and less Off Topic threads on the forums.

Sandi, I understand that the way off topic facility is there, and I'm sure it helps you guys to sort through the many different subjects brought up in Chit Chat.

Perhaps I was rambling a bit and the essence of my point was lost? I just feel we are doing topics relating to our industry a bit of disservice by grouping them in such a random manner.

If you mean by us having UK specific threads in ChitChat and not in Nail Geek then yes, that's the way it is, basically because it's not of international interest and we have to remember that we have members from all over the world using the site on a regular basis.

Is that what you meant?

I see where you are coming from Derek.

I always get confused about where to post as anything Beauty seems to go under skin, but Nails can be seperated into chit Chat as well. I remember being mega surprised that a Popits thread was under chit chat alongside something I had posted about the Ezflow workshop I had attended.

Personally I see Chit Chat as anything not Beauty or Industry related.

I can't reconcile how Popits can comfortably sit beside An Ebook of Jamie Olivers recipes.

I think I totally get what you mean. It does puzzle me sometimes that nail related stuff gets relegated to "chitchat" because it doesn't meet certain criteria . . . to my straightforward brain, if it's about nails and nail products, I would expect to find it in Nail Geek.:rolleyes: Maybe that's just me.

I would have thought ChitChat really would be best subtitled as "anything NOT fitting into Nail/Skin/Biz Geek".

If you mean by us having UK specific threads in ChitChat and not in Nail Geek then yes, that's the way it is, basically because it's not of international interest and we have to remember that we have members from all over the world using the site on a regular basis.

Is that what you meant?

That is certainly one for instance yes. But I realise we cannot have an individual UK forum/US forum/Norway forum as that would be truly unworkable.

At risk of repeating myself, the problem as I see it is that although a topic or thread may not at first glance be of obvious relevance to the international audience, it may be of interest to them.

Let's face it, people come on here - first and foremost - because they want to read about our industry - right? So I cannot see the logic in grouping industry based topics in with non-industry ones.

Let's face it, people come on here - first and foremost - because they want to read about our industry - right? So I cannot see the logic in grouping industry based topics in with non-industry ones.

I have to agree.

I think I totally get what you mean. It does puzzle me sometimes that nail related stuff gets relegated to "chitchat" because it doesn't meet certain criteria . . . to my straightforward brain, if it's about nails and nail products, I would expect to find it in Nail Geek.:rolleyes: Maybe that's just me.

I would have thought ChitChat really would be best subtitled as "anything NOT fitting into Nail/Skin/Biz Geek".

That suits me too lol

I have a straightforward brain:) I will use that when anyone especially my husband questions my logic lol

To be honest this has been bugging me for a while too. I am never sure where to post nowadays, not that I have really posted for a wee while.

Surely if it is nail, hair or skin then it should go under that heading. Like Angela(Martigirl) previously stated about the workshop post being moved, I thought it was nail related and surely in the end beneficial to all nail techs regardless of product choice.

I too find that what is a good nail topic gets lost in the off topic posts.

When I log on to this site I don't always look at chit-chat, I normally always go to nails first. I find all posts in nails helpful in some way, but would hate to have missed something that could be relevant to me in chit chat.

The way I see it - this is a salon forum and if we stuck to discussing salon related topics then life would be a lot more straightforward LOL.

If for example we have 5 threads started about roadshows which may start off as potentially nail related, but then due to the nature of the posts, turn into chit chat, then they get moved.

Example - are you going to the roadshow in Leeds, yes I am, ok then I will see you there, where are you staying, such and such a hotel, oh maybe we can all meet for a drink, sounds like a good idea - etc etc. This may be started as a nail thread but is it really? I dont think this is a real thread, but hopefully you get the drift.

We do have to make judgement calls and we dont always get it right for everyone but we do try.

If anyone objects or wonders why their thread gets moved, then why not ask one of the mods.

Ok guys lol:
Nail Geek Forum:
anything that is related to hands and feet: Nail professionals discussing all aspects of hand and foot care.
like troubleshooting, technique problems, application advise, Nail Salon advise, Client advise, Product advise, Product problems, tips and tricks aso.

Chit Chat:
Topics like: Anything that may be considered small talk..Get together's, Geeky meetings, "have you heard" kind of stuff.....Come and join us at what ever venue (as long as money isn't mentioned of course). How to safe money, how to avoid a parking ticket.....in short General chit chat and off topic posts.

Now as with all things there is a grey area.....and then we MOD's have to make a decision where to move it to. This isn't done on a whim but with carefully consideration.
If any one feels that a thread is unfairly moved, then hey PM any of us MOD's....we don't bite, well not much any ways......

That is certainly one for instance yes. But I realise we cannot have an individual UK forum/US forum/Norway forum as that would be truly unworkable.

At risk of repeating myself, the problem as I see it is that although a topic or thread may not at first glance be of obvious relevance to the international audience, it may be of interest to them.

I too feel very confused about the way some nail threads appear in chit chat instead of the nail forum. Perhaps it is that they are not of relevance to those in other countries, but we are a global community and the world is shrinking with the falling cost and ease of flights, so these items may be of interest, or even of relevance, to others as Derek says.

I've given up reading the Nail forum alone, as I was missing out on a lot of nail related topics which had been started/moved into chitchat. Now I either have to look at "everything new", which means I get a lot of articles about hair and beauty which are not relevant (and mostly not of interest) to me, or also look at the chitchat forum, where I have to trawl through all the jokes, birthday wishes, pictures of dogs and cats, etc.

I do agree there needs to be a place for these off topic messages and am totally in agreement that people should be free to post anything (within bounds) in there, but I feel the nail forum should be the place for the nail threads so I don't waste time finding them.

Ok guys lol:
Nail Geek Forum:
anything that is related to hands and feet: Nail professionals discussing all aspects of hand and foot care.
like troubleshooting, technique problems, application advise, Nail Salon advise, Client advise, Product advise, Product problems, tips and tricks aso.

Chit Chat:
Topics like: Anything that may be considered small talk..Get together's, Geeky meetings, "have you heard" kind of stuff.....Come and join us at what ever venue (as long as money isn't mentioned of course). How to safe money, how to avoid a parking ticket.....in short General chit chat and off topic posts.

Now as with all things there is a grey area.....and then we MOD's have to make a decision where to move it to. This isn't done on a whim but with carefully consideration.
If any one feels that a thread is unfairly moved, then hey PM any of us MOD's....we don't bite, well not much any ways......

Thanks for the summary of what contitutes a Nail Forum thread at the moment, as it provides a greater clarity.

But it doesn't get away from the fact that there are still very relevant industry based topics being lost to the mish mash and melting pot that is Chit Chat.

If important and relevant posts that are getting lost, then surely posters will have to take some of that blame too.
A thread poster is given the choice as to where he/she wants her thread to appear..... we move posts, I have to say in all sorts of directions. From main froum to chit chat, from chit chat to bizz or main forum.... for us it works both ways. But some slip through the net so to speak, so if they do why not make our job a tad easier and let us know????

Last edited:
When i log on the first place i go to is usually the nail forum....cause thats what i joined the site for...to find out more about the nail 'industry'....i do find it a tad confusing and i think i miss a hell of a lot of threads that i might find by accident later on (as in weeks) that i wish i had seen earlier.
I can understand that it is an international forum....but if a topic in a thread does not interest someone then surely they can just ignore it....but may be international geeks may be interested in what is going on in other countries (i know for for example i like to read up on nail gossip going on in oz or the states.....so would like to may be see it in the nail forum rather than in chit chat....but i can accept that there are guidelines for posting threads and try to follow them as best as i can).
May be this would make the mods life a bit easier if it was this way as well like what the blogs have....I'm not sure....would it????

Is that what you meant?

I didn't realise that. Whilst I welcome our friends from across the world, I'm sure they understand that this site is used by mainly UK based therapists.

I belong to a couple of US sites and I don't understand most of what they're talking about regards products, trade shows etc but I just accept that and they certainly don't change their ways for me.

If important and relevant posts that are getting lost, then surely posters will have to take some of that blame too.
A thread poster is given the choice as to where he/she wants her thread to appear..... we move posts, I have to say in all sorts of directions. From main froum to chit chat, from chit chat to bizz or main forum.... for us it works both ways. But some slip through the net so to speak, so if they do why not make our job a tad easier and let us know????

Ruth, I fully appreciate the job the moderators do, moving threads, tidying up the forums and essentially policing the site. For doing that role, you and the other moderators are to be commended.

However, it is becoming increasingly obvious that some people - myself included - find it confusing and somewhat frustrating that industry based threads are treated in the same way as a bizarre topics and birthday wishes.

Posters cannot "make your life easier and let you know", because frankly they are confused as to where to put some threads in the first place - as has been illustrated already in comments on this thread.

Can I make a suggestion?

Is it time for a new forum - for local nail news/non international, call it what you like? Something that provides a platform for topics that are important to many - if not the masses?

I say leave Chit Chat for exactly that. Is information on up coming UK/US events, winners of UK/US nail competitions, information on colleges etc really just chit chat or gossip?

I, for one don't think so......

Hi Derek!
Don't worry we Mods often have the same dilemma about which forum they should be in!

Generally speaking we have to think is the topic giving information that will help other techs, stylists and therapists in their day to day working life? ie it gives information that will be important in future searches. If it is a topic about a roadshow for example, then this is not information that will not help everyone in the future. It gives no really helpful info and is therefore just chit chat as it is just discussing an event.

Another example is "I need a nail tech in New York" Now on the surface this may seem an international one, but it actually is only helpful to the person posting it. It is not giving out information that will be helpful to anyone else (unless everyone suddenly needs a nail tech in NY!)

Kim, your one about the wax strip would be in Skin because it is a problem that may occur to others and thus would be used in a Skin search.

It isn't easy, and I think that the problem is not so much about these type of threads being posted in chit chat ... more the amount of other inane threads that are being posted lately in that forum, many of which should still be blogs.

I know Sam is not keen to keep creating sub forums as it actually makes it harder to navigate around the site. With the amount of waxing and tanning threads there are some would say they need their own sub forums too. But it just makes life more difficult in the end.

Actually the one I always find hardest is when a subject crosses all 3 skills, but isn't quite a Biz Geek thread. That's always the hardest to categorise!

If you really feel a thread should be in a different forum then just report it to bring it to our attention. reporting a post isn't just about it being unsavoury, but that it may need some attention to make it more user friendly.

HTH

Latest posts

Back