Is it a Sign???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that there are hardly any nail companies showing at the Birmingham show?? Is it a sign of things to come I wonder??:idea:

its a shame, i thought there would be more added to the list by now! :cry:
its gonna be my first show and i'm a nail tech so i only want the nail stands and i've got to travel from cornwall! (good excuse for a weekend away though)
i'm gutted i won't get to see a creative stand, but then i'll have save my pennies for creative training instead :)

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that there are hardly any nail companies showing at the Birmingham show?? Is it a sign of things to come I wonder??:idea:

hi
dont know much about the show in birmingham but the professional beauty show is on in dublin this weekend and its the same story here. went on line to check what companies had booked a stand and its very few. the company whoses nails i use have pulled out but asure me they will be offering a discount price on products at the time of the show. apparently the september show in dublin is a bigger event with more companies taking a stand. its relly disappointing as i was really looking forward to a full day of browsing and seeing new techniques.
ciara

God I hope not. I'm not going to the NEC as it's to far for me but I really missed CND being at Excel.

I totally understand the reasons for not being at the show, but I do hope that suppliers can find away of being at the shows and only supplying to qualified/trained techs. So, it's not so much of a free for all and unmonitored.

I really miss being able to touch and hold a product and as it's a trek to my nearest OSNS. I find it hard to choose varnishes and sensations etc... As much as you can see the colours in brochure, it's just not the same.

And Excel this year was just not the same without CND. I dont think I would even bother going if all the major suppliers pulled out, it would only leave all the naff market type stands.

When I go to shows I only want to watch the seminars and even those can be poorly attended at Excel Jacqui Jefford was talking to just me and my bored Boyf ( she's such a pro - she didnt even make me feel uncomfortable) I rarely do any shopping these days at excel there was very little nail product to even buy!
Maybe it IS going to get worse in the future as its so expensive to do these shows but what will it be replaced by? roadshows? I love roadshows!

I love the shows! I was introduced to Calgel at Olympia in 2005 (or was it 2004) I'm not sure I would have found it or tried it if it wasn't for the shows. I cant get to the NEC show but I am going to Olympia and I always go to Excel. I like to touch and see the products rather than just order by chance from the cataloges of companies!

Hello

Read your thread yep I agree its the same in scotland every year they get fewer and fewer.:irked:

Makes us feel like mushrooms (left in the dark).:cry:Its not so much they s dont turn up and I do know its expensive to hire a stand and get themselves there but distributors still want us to buy there products. Thanks ok if you can go to a one stop shop or the distributors but when you have to order and hope its what you want then russian roulet comes in to play.

Never mind we can live in hope.

Catherine

Hello

Read your thread yep I agree its the same in scotland every year they get fewer and fewer.:irked:

Makes us feel like mushrooms (left in the dark).:cry:Its not so much they s dont turn up and I do know its expensive to hire a stand and get themselves there but distributors still want us to buy there products. Thanks ok if you can go to a one stop shop or the distributors but when you have to order and hope its what you want then russian roulet comes in to play.

Never mind we can live in hope.

Catherine

Couldn't agree more Catherine:hug:

I go to Scottish Beauty and GMEX and have made it an unwritten rule with myself now that if they make the effort to come to Scotland then I will buy their products and support them. I remember having this discussion with Mr Batten Edwards (lovely man that he is) and he said he wouldn't dream of not attending the Scottish show as his Scottish customers are very important to him and he just chooses his size of stand differently.

I was thrilled to see Environ and Jane Iredale last year and I always watch Garey Hall at Calgel who entertains me no end and it helps perfect my Calgel application. I am lucky now that the Scottish Ezflow distribution team are 10 minutes from my house and they stock my favourite Mundo products and I am seriously trying to practice my L & P skills to enable me to use the lovely Dare to Be dazzling and Boogie Nights collections.

I understand whya a lot of companies are restricted by cost etc, but being a very visual person I need to see, touch and feel and then I buy buy buy lol

Many companies don't front for nail shows, it's a very expensive exercise to put on and staff, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the companies reputation.

However companies do miss out on alot of "moral" support when not present, even though the diehard clients will stick by them.

There were quite a few missing from last years nailshows here in AUS, just as they have been a few missing from recent shows in the UK.

I guess as the end users, use mere nail techs have to grin and bear it (accepting a leaflet offering showtime discounts as an olive branch)

We have to accept it (and their excuses) when our distributors don't show up.

Imagine if the distributors showed up and their clients didn't?

It's not just the products that are missing, it's the putting a face to a voice and feeling more "familiar" with your distributor.

Distributors expect faith from us techs .... if only we could expect the same in return.

It's almost like being "stoodup" when your favorite distributor isn't at a show, particularly when some techs proudly wander around and even compete wearing the livery of absent companies.

Nothing like the scream from a well staffed booth when you are a trophy winner using that companies product.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, "say no more" :)

It's way too expensive to have a stand at these shows. I'd love to see more companies exhibit at small shows where the cost of a stand is a couple of hundred rather than thousands. xxx

If European trends for distribution and stylist support follow what has happened in our area, hold on to your hats, fasten your seat belts and hang on, you're in for a rough ride.

Current market analysis (schools have to track and implement adjustments) shows that the franchise salons- Regis Corp, Paul Mitchell, Aveda are buying the small privately held salons forcing them either to join ranks or close. The same thing is happening with Distributors, the small locally owned or family held distributorships are being purchased at an alarming rate, going to bigger houses which are then owned by bigger companies who don't support the manufacturer with educators or advertising. They rely on the salon owner or manager to provide the education to the stylists.

The pit fall of only large chain salons is the stylist has to use the product provided by the salon and has no choice or influence of which product is being used. Most of the employees of large chain salons don't go to trade shows, their education is in house provided by employees of the company and trained in the product selected by the company. The large salons typically use lable specific products or have a corporate partnership with a manufacturing company to provide product and train the corporate educator.

I really hope that it doesn't come to this in Europe, we struggle to get our students quality information and product. Unless our graduates are willing to travel long distances to get to major shows, they (just like us) have to order over the internet or from a leaflet where you HOPE the color you chose will be something that a client might actually use. Just imagine what this is like for haircolor!!!!

Apart from Olympia, is it time to go back to where we were in the early 90's with a 'nails only' show at a smaller venue where there are rooms available for short courses and demos (and, of course, a comp)

Samantha???

Could this be a little co-operative opportunity?

Apart from Olympia, is it time to go back to where we were in the early 90's with a 'nails only' show at a smaller venue where there are rooms available for short courses and demos (and, of course, a comp)

Samantha???

Oh, that sounds wicked!! I love the shows, but as a Nail only geek I don't look around 70% of it....... I would love a small nails only show with a comp attached (now I've comp-ed once I need to do it again!!)

Fantastic idea, Marian.....

I really hope this is NOT a sign that Shows are not going to be supported by the Industry, as they are a great showcase and sometime the only chance for people to see new products and techniques.

i was really looking forward to a full day of browsing and seeing new techniques.
ciara

I love the shows!
I like to touch and see the products rather than just order by chance from the cataloges of companies!

I go to Scottish Beauty and GMEX and have made it an unwritten rule with myself now that if they make the effort to come to Scotland then I will buy their products and support them.

I understand why a lot of companies are restricted by cost etc, but being a very visual person I need to see, touch and feel and then I buy buy buy lol

It appears most people think this too!!

Smaller roadshows are a great idea....as I certainly found out when Sam Biddle came to town!!

We here at EzFlow Scotland are committed to giving or customers as much choice as we can.....and that means AS WELL AS Roadshows, we are going to be at Scottish Beauty, yes, a Stand is expensive,as is flying up the top people in the Industry to demostrate. Which this year includes both Anthony Buckley and Sam Biddle Global Educators, and hopefully also Victoria Smith, Master Artist Educator and motivator extraordinaire!!!

There only is 1 Show in Scotland, and it should be supported by Distributors and attendees alike!

Like most things in life...if you don't use it....you lose it!!

Samantha???

What a fab idea. I enquired about renting a stand at a local beauty show in Brentwood. Nice and cosy but plenty of room for stands, and demo rooms. The cost of a stand large enough for me to have a bed in was only about £250 for the weekend. Of course larger stands are available and I remember seeing Creative Loughton there once and they were mega busy.

Why don't you/we all get together and put shows on across the UK? xxx

It is very disappointing when you make the effort (at quite a cost too) to travel from abroad to a show and discover the major people are not there - I am flying over to come to Olympia in May and have discovered that many of the stands I wanted to visit are not there this year. Seeing, talking to suppliers and experiencing the products first hand is invaluable. Catalogues dont come with smells and touch and often accurate colours. Its also a good opportunity to find out about new products - but not if they are not there!
It would be nice to go back to "just" a nail show as I too am not interested in the beauty side.

Samantha???

This is a fantastic idea and a brilliant idea for those innovative small companies struggling with the overheads of big events. Often when I go to the shows, apart from competing, I just want to make sure I am in the know with what are the latest products/techniques available in the nail industry, chat to the educators and watch demos and meet up with geeky friends.

Most of the nails, waxing and tanning companies are the ones that struggle with the megga overheads because they are usually relatively small. As Kimmi has said, there are a lot of small companies who cannot afford the big trade shows so it could even be a smaller venue with smaller overheads for the smaller companies interested in exhibiting but not just limited to nail companies - nails, waxing & tanning. I am sure that would ignite enough interest to be a winning combination.

I think it is so important for companies to be represented at these events, although I know it is horrendously expensive for them. I think it is so important for there to be a "face behind the company" and events will also allow everyone to touch and see the products they are interested in and either have a demonstration or a play before they make a very expensive mistake in training with a company/product which isn't right for them, or buying incorrect materials.

I'm so looking forward to Scottish Beauty and absolutely delighted that the Ezflow Scotland team will be therre in strength, bringing lots of "famous faces"! I'll will have another opportunity to see Sam Biddle at work again. I went to a recent seminar organised by Ezflow Scotland and was so impressed with the control she has over the product. It will be lovely to see her work again. I've never seen Anthony Buckley working, so this will be another treat to look forward to. Victoria was also at the seminar I attended and her business knowledge and information she passed on was inspiring (as were her nails!)

It's all come together for me at the right time, as I will just have finished my training at the end of April (thanks Isabel!) and I'll be picking their brains (and those of the rest of the Ezflow Scotland team) for all the questions that have popped into my head since then!

Do you know if our Trade shows have ever charged for entry to the shows? I would imagine that this could then be offset against the cost of the charge to the exhibitors and they would at least know that it would be serious people attending and not just every Tom, **** or Harry jumping on board.

I do like the idea of smaller dedicated nail shows though. That would be one I would be willing to pay to attend.

A nails only show would have been fantastic! Sign me in! :)

C.

Latest posts

Back