Is it a Sign???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know if our Trade shows have ever charged for entry to the shows? I would imagine that this could then be offset against the cost of the charge to the exhibitors and they would at least know that it would be serious people attending and not just every Tom, **** or Harry jumping on board.

I do like the idea of smaller dedicated nail shows though. That would be one I would be willing to pay to attend.

When I went to Dusseldorf, a two day ticket cost 40 Euro. I happily payed it and it was worth every Euro. So yes, I think a charge is a good idea.

C.

The first show I ever went to when I was still at college in 2002, was in the Marriot hotel in Bristol, I think it was the Nails Plus roadshow....it was fantastic for me, they still had stands with all the big brands, they had competitions too, and smaller rooms for demonstrations and seminars....and so much easier to navigate than a massive show.

Cheaper cost for distributors/sub-distributors and far more local for attendees if there is a range of venues throughout the season.

I think there are too many shows per year......I haven't been to one since March 2007 and I haven't missed it other than not being able to compete.

A nails only show would have been fantastic! Sign me in! :)

C.

Me too.

I am still going to this show as it will be my first trade show so think I may gain a lot by going. A nails only show would be amazing though.

What a fab idea. I enquired about renting a stand at a local beauty show in Brentwood. Nice and cosy but plenty of room for stands, and demo rooms. The cost of a stand large enough for me to have a bed in was only about £250 for the weekend. Of course larger stands are available and I remember seeing Creative Loughton there once and they were mega busy.

Why don't you/we all get together and put shows on across the UK? xxx

Sounds like a plan to me :lol:

I think the charge for having a stand is outrageous!!

I can fully understand the exhibitors pulling out, especially as the shows are bombarded by students who just by there sheer numbers block the way so salons and professionals just can't get in to the stands!

Years ago they used to have student day and professional day, bring that back i say, and the exhibits were all about products and demo's not all these market type stalls.

I went to ex ell and i have to say it was a let down! Totally!!

I will be going to salon international this year but i just don't think i will bother that much with beauty shows unless they improve drastically, i think the host's are getting greedy and so it is putting off the exhibitors.

MUM....what a fantastic idea!!
I only looked at the nail ones anyway...... and really not interested in going to the others if the big names are not going to be there....rather save my money!
xx

We have tried to get a cooperative nails show going, but so far with little take up.

At one time, shows were a great place to showcase and meet customers, but over the past several years I feel that they have started to turn into what can only be described as an overpriced car boot sale with stands selling wigs, fake bags, jewelry etc...

When attendees from the baby and family exhibition start wandering in to buy professional products, knock off bags and tooth gems, the following starts going through my mind:

• Why does the hair industry (which is several times larger than the beauty industry) have 1 excellent, super sized show per year while the beauty industry has over 10 small and medium ones?
  • Why do you get scanned going in and out to use the toilet or get lunch?
  • Why are there stands that sell absolute garbage and have no bearing on the industry? (on that note why the hell do some professionals support these stands by purchasing items from them)?

Then I think... I already know the answer to these questions and more ;)

Shows are great revenue generators but also huge cost centres. Personally I am not yet convinced that the way they have become is in the interest of the companies or the professionals that foot the bill for them. I just think that there is currently no other option and hence not a lot to compare. Yet. Who knows what the future holds. Then again. Maybe I already know the answer to that question and more ;)

those stands that sell tacky jewellery and bags etc, ....
surely they cant be paying the same for their stand as the legitimate exhibitors, it just wouldnt pay off.

i think shows are and should be more promotional ventures for companies.
its about getting out there and finding out what your clients want in the next 12 months, rather than what you can make in sales on the day.

kick out the public, kick out the kids and kick out non industry stands.

Does anyone feel that these shows have got greedy...??? sell stands to anyone, lets just make as much money as possible.

Why does this happen so often...something starts small...its great...they grow and get bigger...it gets better...they get massive and greedy and loose what made them so great in the first place.

I personally would prefer a smaller...less flashy show with the emphasis being on quality of those stands and not quantity.

lol i was so shocked when i went to my first show and saw all the non professional stalls, some were downright cheap and nasty :lol: although i still got sucked into buying slimming pills and some rubbish bronzer which was way over priced :eek: but hey it was my first show , lol

My first ever show at EXcel in 2004 was so different to the ones i have been to since.

I agree with you GMG, you seem to get the toot stalls selling crap stuff for over inflated prices, but people are still buying it!

I would gladly pay for entry to an all Nails show in a smaller venue to get to see the stands we want.

Go on Sam and Samantha, work your magic.:)

Does anyone feel that these shows have got greedy...??? sell stands to anyone, lets just make as much money as possible.

Why does this happen so often...something starts small...its great...they grow and get bigger...it gets better...they get massive and greedy and loose what made them so great in the first place.

I personally would prefer a smaller...less flashy show with the emphasis being on quality of those stands and not quantity.
Totally....just like the Glastonbury Festival!

Why is the entrance free? No other exhibitions do that do they?

My hubby is going to an exhibition at GMEX later this month for his work, and the tickets for this are free, but its much smaller than "our" GMEX events, and its not really going to get the public wanting to buy!!!

Do the hair shows have the same problems?

Apart from Olympia, is it time to go back to where we were in the early 90's with a 'nails only' show at a smaller venue where there are rooms available for short courses and demos (and, of course, a comp)

Samantha???

Could this be a little co-operative opportunity?

Oh this would be great. I never get the chance to go to the big shows. But nail only and smaller venues would be great and can get to them. Its not the travelling its the kids. I cant spend that much time away.

To be honest, I don't know of any professional who has paid an entrance fee to the show.

I'm not quite sure how it all works there, but we have to pay for a ticket to our tradeshows. In fact the up coming show in May is $40. and I'm going.

Apart from Olympia, is it time to go back to where we were in the early 90's with a 'nails only' show at a smaller venue where there are rooms available for short courses and demos (and, of course, a comp)

Samantha???

Could this be a little co-operative opportunity?

This would be a dream as I must say that all I remember from the nec last year was tanning, teeth whitening and more and more teeth whitening !

Greedy is the word. There are just too many shows now and the quality is so poor. Ever heard of shooting yourself in the foot!

Latest posts

Back