My client stole my career!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombalurina

Reaction score
Ok, dramatic title I know, but that's the way I feel at the moment!!
I have a little dilemma and it's really upset me.

I've found out that a client of mine who has been having spray tanning with me, has now gone and bought her own machine, tent etc, from the same company I use, and is now going mobile herself. What bothers me, is that she's not a therapist, and she's used me to get all the information she needs to go and do it herself. You know the type of person, all friendly, asking questions because she seems to be really interested etc etc...

I'm not to bothered about the fact that she's going into the spray tan market herself, because it's a rapidly growing industry, and that's business at the end of the day...but I'm really upset that she's basically used me for her own gain. I feel completely used and that I'll never trust another client again!! And I don't want to feel like this!!

So Geeks, what can I do? I don't want to confront her, because I'm not like that anyway, and it's her business what she does....but I can't stand the thought of people preferring a non-therapist to me!!! So I need some advice on how I can better present myself, what can I do to "Stick it to her" without actually sticking it to her???!!!!

Also, have any of you had a similar situation?
XX

First of all, you have to wisen up. Then you have to build your self esteem. Then, above all, you have to be the best spray tanner in town.

Don't take it to heart. I've had some serious stuff done to me and said about me to make me fall, but hey, I'm still standing tall. Let her get on with it and next time somebody asks loads of questions, point them in the direction of a training school. Anyway, she must have trained to have bought the machine so it's not like you taught her how to spray tan did you?

Your not the only one hun that has been stabbed in the back being the pun by someone you regarded as a friend it's happened to us all at some point..big:hug:

As Kim has said wisen up. Then build your self esteem,stand tall and be the best spray tanner in town.

Let her get on with it if she has trained ..if she hasn't then it's her downfall if clients find out she isn't trained.

This is how many of us start in a business, WE ARE INSPIRED BY SOMEONE, OR AN IDEA.

I have a client who has done a pedi course and now goes round to old peoples homes doing toenails (she is welcome to it)

I was a bit miffed cos she picked my brains and didn't let on until she was actually working - but like I said she is welcome to it:cool:

I would contact her - and wish her good luck!

Nothing is better for business than a bit of healthy competition and as has already been said - just make sure you are a better professional and spray tach than she is.

Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer!

Nothing is better for business than a bit of healthy competition and as has already been said - just make sure you are a better professional and spray tach than she is.

Now you are frightening me:Scared::hug::Scared:

If knowledge and skills were so "spreadable" just by talking to someone during the treatment, 70 % of our clients would become our competition! :green:
Don't worry much... if she is all that good, which I must doubt, then you inspired someone. If not, it will soon show. So... anything below your quality is not for you to worry about :hug:

If she has no form of qualification then its her own risk? any monkey can you buy a spray tan machine, but it takes someone confident and enthusiastic to be good at what they do! Chances are she will get bored and it will be just a fad...and hey...if your confident in what you do then you shouldnt be bothered by her. Maybe she admires you! So if anything, id take it as a compliment! xxxx

I think that you should display your certificates, and when you build your selfesteem, indicate your qualifications so that clients know that they are getting a good professional service from you. We look forward to hearing that you have built your selfesteem here on salongeek, remember we are here to support and help you. :hug::hug:

A similar thing happened t me many years ago, not with a client but with another therapist, picked my brains etc. Don't worry too much learn to let go otherwise it will eat you up, do as the others have said just be the best you can. Good luck:hug:

I agree with all of the above.
Don't lower yourself by getting even, be cleverer than her, don't diss her!
Perhaps get some leaflets made up advertising your spray tanning, have your company's logo emblazoned on it and state how long you have been established as a therapist, ie you have experience, qualifications and professionalism.

She'll get a few clients, but she'll probably get sick of it and realise that its not as easy as she thought.

First of all, you have to wisen up. Then you have to build your self esteem. Then, above all, you have to be the best spray tanner in town.

Don't take it to heart. I've had some serious stuff done to me and said about me to make me fall, but hey, I'm still standing tall. Let her get on with it and next time somebody asks loads of questions, point them in the direction of a training school. Anyway, she must have trained to have bought the machine so it's not like you taught her how to spray tan did you?

I whole heartedly agree with Kimmi and oey.

When I was thinking about joining the nail industry, I picked my technicians brains all the time whilst she was doing my nails and then I signed up for the very course that she did. She was not upset or offended and when I completed the course I would continue to pick her brains because I wanted to learn, learn learn. She gave me lots of tips and was extremely helpful.

On the geek site we share ideas, offer help, pass on good links for various websites etc..... eg. 'love the colours in your salon. What paint did you use?' or 'How did you do your nail art? Can you please give me a step by step?' and so on.

Take it as a complement that your client was inspired by your enthusiasm and love of your job, but as Kimmi says, strive to be the best.

Also if she has recieved training, then she is perfectly entitled to set up her own business. If she has not trained then she will soo learn the error of her ways.

Be proud of yourself and the fact that she envied what you do.:hug: x

Don't worry, keep your head up! this things happens all the time, believe in yourself! it doesn't matter if someone still your ideas ( yes it is painful), just keep the hard work and be the best in what you do!
Chin up, Lol!

i would confront her and say that you would have had more respect for her if she had been upfront and honest with you in the first place. Make her feel like a gnat! Then tell everyone what she did!!

Sod her! why should you wish her luck and all that bollocks?? She screwed you over..not by doing spray tanning, but in the way she used you and kept it a secret. I would make her feel like she has an enemy...and i would tell everyone she is **** too.

i would confront her and say that you would have had more respect for her if she had been upfront and honest with you in the first place. Make her feel like a gnat! Then tell everyone what she did!!

Sod her! Why should you wish her luck and all that bollocks?? She screwed you over..not by doing spray tanning, but in the way she used you and kept it a secret. I would make her feel like she has an enemy...and i would tell everyone she is **** too.

pmsl......peace, love & light

Sod her! why should you wish her luck and all that bollocks?? She screwed you over..not by doing spray tanning, but in the way she used you and kept it a secret. I would make her feel like she has an enemy...and i would tell everyone she is **** too.

life is to short to hold crudges and worry about situations that you can do nothing about.

the best thing to do is move on and hold your head high.

i certainly wouldnt play games with her - how professional will that look.

people come and people go the same with clients dont let this clitch in the works un neave you - you have done well to get where you are and this is what will put you above all the others.

peace and light

What comes around goes around. You have a right to your feelings but now it's over so make it over. Move on - it's healthy. I know it's easy for me to say, but she could have picked anyone's brains and she chose you so perhaps you should feel complimented? You still ended up making money from her as a client and I'm sure you enjoyed sharing and talking about your work so in a way, she paid you for the info, right? :)
Blessings and hugs, Kelly

Thankyou geeks, you're all very helpful as always :)
It's hard for me to brush it off and move on, as I only found out the other day, and I've not really had a chance to digest the info properly...but I know what you're all saying makes sense!

I fully intend to spend some (more!) money, get some leaflets printed up, and get myself out there!!! My other half is more angry than me I think! But he's being productive, and has come up with loads of ideas to make sure my website is the best, and to make sure my clients know I don't forget about them etc. So who knows, perhaps this little incident will be the making of me...!! I guess I have to find the positive, because although I'd love to call her up and make her feel small, I would never do that!! So, I just have to make myself bigger in comparison.

It's horrible to think this is how business works sometimes...but the worst thing is that I love to help people, and if she'd said "I'm interested in doing tanning myself", I would gladly have helped her and given her all the info she wanted!!!!! I just hate people who do things covertly. GRRR!!!!

Never mind, I AM the better therapist!!! I DO knock my clients off their feet with my amazing treatments!!!! And I WILL NOT RISE TO THE BAIT!!!!!!!!!! BEAUTY POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Geeks :) I feel better :) XXXXXX

It's hard for me to brush it off and move on

I would never do that!! So, I just have to make myself bigger in comparison.

It's horrible to think this is how business works sometimes...but the worst thing is that I love to help people, and if she'd said "I'm interested in doing tanning myself", I would gladly have helped her and given her all the info she wanted!!!!! I just hate people who do things covertly. GRRR!!!!

Never mind, I AM the better therapist!!! I DO knock my clients off their feet with my amazing treatments!!!! And I WILL NOT RISE TO THE BAIT!!!!!!!!!! BEAUTY POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Geeks :) I feel better :) XXXXXX

I have put in bold what you said above because I do really empathise with you. Unfortunately it is a 'dog eat dog world' so to speak as much as I hate to say it.

Although I've never mentioned it on geek, I had a few unfortunate experiences in my class at college with peeps cheating in tests ..... getting 100%, and being blatant bullies and telling lies.

I love to help people. It makes me happy doing so but hurts deeply when the very people you are helping, kick you in the teeth because they are selfish, dishonest and and devious!

Rise above it hun. It's hard, but you are the better person for it :hug:.

Latest posts

Back