Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats right i work from home and since i left college thats been it,with me doing my own nails now i dont even get to go in a salon to see others do it...so im on here all the time reading up and getting advice and inspiration from others.It is a lonely place when at home so im glad theres this site for support and help and also iv made some good friends even tho its over the airwaves lol.

Hi, Im a newbie too. I trained with LeChat in oct 08 and have learned so much extra from this site.

As someone mentioned earlier, there is no possible way that a new tech can learn everything from training whether it be 2 days of training or months and months. Its not until you start getting out there and experiencing new situations and new clients with interesting questions that you really start learning beyond your training.

I use this site to help me now I'm working within a salon.
I have asked some "silly" basic questions in the past on here but as also mentioned earlier, what may be "silly" to experienced techs is a perfectly reasonable question for a newbie to ask. I do agree with geeg about not looking in the search and I will only post if I cant find my answer that way.

I have done my training with LeChat and constantly pester them with questions and go back to extra tutoring (Tracey is a God send btw) and I have nothing to fear with regards to bluffing.

Im new but still very eager to be the best and since oct 08 have spent hundreds of ££ in product and equipment to be the best - even though this is my 2nd job.

Some people I know have said that they have purchased home gel kits from various places and I cannot believe one can buy anything from the internet and start DIY'ing on themselves and the public - outrageous!! Think of the damage....there is SOOO much more to it...

But please to all those higher up and more experienced don't tar us newbies with the same brush as we are learning and appreciate help from you (as long as it genuine) and questions often dont arise until we are in the thick of it!

Sorry to ramble
Ali

Being a Nail Technician can be a very solitary career, many work alone at home and others are shoved in the corner of someone else's salon, left to fend for themselves.

Salongeek is a great place to chat and ask questions/chew the fat with likeminded people.

I think the key issue is sharing .... even if it's just a thought, it's still sharing and it's a 2 way street, it when it's a 1 way street that irks me.

At least an introduction would help soften the initial demand of (show me this, show me that, tell me this, tell me that).

EG:

1. I have just done a course with xxxxxx and I can't quite get my head around xxxxx.
  2. I've just done a course and I'm having some issues with xxxx
  3. I'm thinking of doing a course with xxxx, any suggestions?
  4. I completed a course 2 months ago and I'm having some lifting issues.
You get my drift ..... it's a question by someone that's genuinely interested, with a little bit of thought behind it, rather than posting what can be seen as a demand for information without a reason.

Soften it .....

Yes, absolutely....I think we are on the same page now Nailzoo ;)
Surely the first thing we learn as children is how to share!!

Although, don't you think it is just another sign of computer age we live in....people would never say to your face some of the things they type to you in an email or a post on here...they would be less blunt and more polite.

People don't seem to have the time to put the little courtesies in anymore....but maybe that is a whole other thread.:rolleyes:

Hi all,

I still class myself as a newbie:irked: and I have been training for 2 years, If I had the money I would be trained in all systems:). Started off with EN - Gel and Maintenence, then onto LeChat/nobility- Gel & Acrylic and resently Ezflow Acrylic.

I don't come on this site all the time:cry:, but if I have five mins I will logon and see whats going on, also if I have a question I will post.

If I have a problem with my products the first place I go to is the person that trained me on that product, then I am sure that I am getting the right advice.

I do sort of agree with NailZoo:wink2:, I think that this site should be for nail tech's.

When I found this site however my first post's was about my flyers and aftercare advice,

I think that this site is great but like everything it get overtaken by jo public in the end.:rolleyes::Scared:

Maybe we should regulate this site to safe guard all the nail techs.:)

well maybe it should be compulsory for a newbie (like myself) to complete a newbie profile?

I know there is an introduction area, maybe that should be complusory to visit there first and complete a form? Something like i have done for myself below?

I trained in entity in nov 08 (gel and acrylic)
took my creative conversion course in dec o8
mani and pedi nov 08
nouveau eyelash extension dec 08
make up jan 09
facials dec 08
nsi training feb 09
waxing feb 09
lash tinting/ brow tinting to be completed in march 09
glitter toes dec 09
spray tan to be completed march 09
nail art (self taught but plan a course in april 09)
massage to be completed in march 09.

Background
Marketing, but made redundant in may 08 and with the help of grant have retrained in an industry that i have always wanted to be a part of. Am now living my dream!
I also make tiaras, cake toppers, beaded bouquets and jewellery (strated as a hobby in 1995)
speak fluent italian
mum of four

I cant think of anything else I would put but maybe that would helpful for others to see I am a real person and not some chancer taking the micheal.

tigi
(not my real name) its sheila but friends calls me tigi and i consider you guys my virtual mates.

Last edited:
Being a Nail Technician can be a very solitary career, many work alone at home and others are shoved in the corner of someone else's salon, left to fend for themselves.

Salongeek is a great place to chat and ask questions/chew the fat with likeminded people.

I think the key issue is sharing .... even if it's just a thought, it's still sharing and it's a 2 way street, it when it's a 1 way street that irks me.

At least an introduction would help soften the initial demand of (show me this, show me that, tell me this, tell me that).

EG:

1. I have just done a course with xxxxxx and I can't quite get my head around xxxxx.
  2. I've just done a course and I'm having some issues with xxxx
  3. I'm thinking of doing a course with xxxx, any suggestions?
  4. I completed a course 2 months ago and I'm having some lifting issues.
You get my drift ..... it's a question by someone that's genuinely interested, with a little bit of thought behind it, rather than posting what can be seen as a demand for information without a reason.

Soften it .....

Totally agree with you! Add some context to the demand/request, show some courtesy and the geeks are the most helpful bunch of people I have ever come across......

Some of the post have mentioned agreeing with me that the site should be for nail techs .......... well this isn't quite true.

I'd like it to be for truly interested techs that can give a little, as well as take ........... anyone that's genuine, not just hit and runners (or until they screw up mixing products) etc.

Vetting newbies cannot be done, but it woud be nice to have a history of techs or peoples intentions before we give away everything we know.

I'm a bit of a victim myself (and it's my own doing) by putting my videos on youtube, I get maybe 50 questions a day (I answer about 5)
I answer who I deem to be genuine, you can tell who they are.
I get asked what is the wet stuff (meaning monomer)
What is the powdery stuff
And if I don't anwer a question some idiot suggests they get it from ebay.
I vet these things daily ...... I want to keep my videos online, but I don't want to be responsible for training backyard nail technicians.

It's my rod and I deal with it in my own way .... I actually personally approve every comment on every video, but there's always a smart ass that will answer before I have been given the chance.

My videos on youtube are to "inspire" would be techs, the videos on my own site are a different matter and I don't direct youtube people to my site. My videos on youtube have had almost a million hits now and my personal site would not handle that kind of traffic without me paying out many extra dollars.

i can completely understand why this thread was started...just about every other post starts with hi im new to this site/nails...

but at the same time i can also understand why newbies in the nail industry would be scared/weary to join this site.

i myself am i bit weary now, as i dont actually have a big posting record...so part of me feels that if i was to ask a question or make a comment people might judge me because my posting count is so low??

i'll be honest, i live on this site at work, but due to security issues, im not actually allowed to log into this or any other site. i dont generally have the time outside of both jobs to come on here either.

i started with an essential nails course, like a few other people, but i also got my first nail job as a trainee in a salon through that very home learn course. i was very lucky though to have my employer at the time pay for training through opi. since then i have worked being self employed in another salon, before deciding to work from home, which i currently do daytimes and then work in a call centre eves and weekends. i also have plans to go to college for an nvq and im even considering courses with creative and other companies just for more variety, but i have still done the essentail nail courses as these have suited my busy schedule.

there do seem to be alot of the same posts started asking the same questions, with which a simple search would answer, which is pointed out in many threads, and there is also a lack of respect fom some people when they dont get given an answer that they are looking for.

ive actually learnt alot from this site with ref to new things within the nail industry...popits, minx etc...which i would never have known about. even if i still worked within the salon, without this site i probably still wouldnt know about anything new as my old boss hated trying new things and changing with the industry.

one thing i dont actually have, which to be honest ive never even thought about until recently, is pictures. ive never taken any pictures of my work. this is something that will be changing, but i like to show off my work through my nail trainer (which stays clamped to my nail desk) and i have a massive folder with all of my work on the nail trainer nails on various progress cards-it was this that actually made me stand out in my interview and got me my first nail job as a trainee in a nail salon!!

hopefully anyone that is planning to join this site in the future, who has no intentions of taking any courses/training for nails, or any other treatment, will read this and have the respect for the professionals who do pay out for training and choose not to post. xx

i can completely understand why this thread was started...just about every other post starts with hi im new to this site/nails...

but at the same time i can also understand why newbies in the nail industry would be scared/weary to join this site.

i myself am i bit weary now, as i dont actually have a big posting record...so part of me feels that if i was to ask a question or make a comment people might judge me because my posting count is so low??

i'll be honest, i live on this site at work, but due to security issues, im not actually allowed to log into this or any other site. i dont generally have the time outside of both jobs to come on here either.

i started with an essential nails course, like a few other people, but i also got my first nail job as a trainee in a salon through that very home learn course. i was very lucky though to have my employer at the time pay for training through opi. since then i have worked being self employed in another salon, before deciding to work from home, which i currently do daytimes and then work in a call centre eves and weekends. i also have plans to go to college for an nvq and im even considering courses with creative and other companies just for more variety, but i have still done the essentail nail courses as these have suited my busy schedule.

there do seem to be alot of the same posts started asking the same questions, with which a simple search would answer, which is pointed out in many threads, and there is also a lack of respect fom some people when they dont get given an answer that they are looking for.

ive actually learnt alot from this site with ref to new things within the nail industry...popits, minx etc...which i would never have known about. even if i still worked within the salon, without this site i probably still wouldnt know about anything new as my old boss hated trying new things and changing with the industry.

one thing i dont actually have, which to be honest ive never even thought about until recently, is pictures. ive never taken any pictures of my work. this is something that will be changing, but i like to show off my work through my nail trainer (which stays clamped to my nail desk) and i have a massive folder with all of my work on the nail trainer nails on various progress cards-it was this that actually made me stand out in my interview and got me my first nail job as a trainee in a nail salon!!

hopefully anyone that is planning to join this site in the future, who has no intentions of taking any courses/training for nails, or any other treatment, will read this and have the respect for the professionals who do pay out for training and choose not to post. xx

Don't be wary, there's no need. :hug: I will say that if I see a poster with a low post count I do read their profile, its nice to know a little about who you might be replying too but I dont think anyone judges some one based on a low post count. I'm 3+ years past my initial training but still a newbie in everyway as I haven't really started out. That said I do comment from time to time in critique posts and answer questions. IF I'm incorrect someone would soon put me right, or anyone else, and its a good thing because thats another way you learn that what you thought was right actually isn't and in turn thats informative for anyone reading who happened to think the same.

I think it's important for people like you and I to interact as much as possible, this forum is for help and education with the added bonus of the industry's finest helping us along. There's a saying along the lines of the only stupid question being the one that didn't get asked and thats quiet true. Even the daftest questions, even by a hobby tech, will get a straight forward asnwer that for all the ones that will ignore it and carry on, another might read and see the light and train.

Great thread Carl!

I have to say that when I see the new threads with basic questions i the title, I have a look, if they are asking stuff that should be obvious, I don't respond.
If it's a question that I have have asked, or can understand a newly trained/looking for training etc type question, then I'm happy to respond.
The bluffers are quite easy to spot & can get very riled at being 'found out'!

I had a 'friend request' from a current member of this site that I refused (the only one I ever have) as having looked at her profile - which said - I've been doing my own nails for years without training and want to show everyone how to do their nails without paying a professional!!!":mad::mad::mad: I was so incensed I reported the person.

The thing is....I don't mind offering advice.
I just don't like to feel I'm being taken for a fool.
People with no training can browse the site anytime they wish and don't EVER have to post a single word.
The info is all there for the taking....and if you REALLY want a career in the industry then this is THE place to browse away.
It's the "I just do me and my friends with a kit from Asda" people who come on the site and ask questions...and then ASSUME that we are UNFRIENDLY because we don't want to offer you any advice other than "go on a good course"...to start with.
If the advice is "go on a reputable course" then that is good advice surely?
Newbies are really welcome and we soon get to know each other and sometimes we make mistakes...and we help each other to put the mistakes RIGHT and use this to our advantage.
As newbies everyone asks what may sound like a daft question so ask away...the daftest ones are probably the ones that will come up when you do a search on the site....and they are NOT daft...it's the VERY basic questions...."whats the purple water called?" etc. that give the game away.
That's a hobby tech to me not a real one.
And hobby techs don't last so long...we are in a recession...clients are wanting BETTER, well qualified techs for their money
Snooze ya lose as they say....

As a newbie who attended school in the USA and just graduated last May, I think that sometimes we can ask questions that might sound like common sense to someone who has been in the business for a while, but you have to take into account that everyone learns different.
Especially, here in the UK, where you can take an online course and in a matter of days become a nail tech, seriously, how can you learn that way??? :eek: I think that if this is how some nail techs are learning the business, you're gonna get the simple questions.
We should be careful on who we give advice to, but let's not get too paranoid; it would be ashamed to miss out on all the good advice on this forum. :irked:

As a newbie who attended school in the USA and just graduated last May, I think that sometimes we can ask questions that might sound like common sense to someone who has been in the business for a while, but you have to take into account that everyone learns different.
Especially, here in the UK, where you can take an online course and in a matter of days become a nail tech, seriously, how can you learn that way??? :eek: I think that if this is how some nail techs are learning the business, you're gonna get the simple questions.
We should be careful on who we give advice to, but let's not get too paranoid; it would be ashamed to miss out on all the good advice on this forum. :irked:

I have to admit hun that sometimes we do get a little "lost in translation" but we usually figure it out xx:hug:

Now don't get me wrong, but there is something amiss here.

I have seen quite a few posts by new techs ( I look at peoples profiles).

Recently trained (or bluffing training).

Either they haven't been trained incorrectly/appallingly, or they are lying to get advice (yes, perhaps a harsh assumption), but some of the questions they ask make me question them.

They want an easy way out, an answer to something really basic, or mouth off trying to sound knowledgeable, only to fall over their bottom lip.

What I find interesting is the ease at which others just offer up advice, whether it's to be the first to answer, or if it's an uncontrollable desire to help just "anyone".

This is a professional forum, but I feel there may be some less than professionals sneaking through the cracks.

I'm all for helping people, but I'm not so sure about teaching bluffers who buy products from anywhere/anyone ....... and have dubious backgrounds or posting history.

Who knows, the knowledge you give them may just give them the jump to set up business from their garage in your suburb and cut your price by 50%.

Is there anyway to vet newbies, or do we just trust anyone who "claims" to be trained?

I know this may be taken the wrong way by some people, but it's been on my mind for sometime and reading some posts just seem to turn this invisible knife of suspicion in my guts and I just had to speak my mind.

I could potentially be putting the cat amongst the pigeons here (so to speak) But I have to say - im going to stick up for those people who ask novice questions. You and i were once in their position, and if there is anything they need to know to help them move forward in their career then im glad to. Quite obviously, i cant imagine anyone joining this forum without some form of genuine interest in nails and beauty. So in my opinion, thats a starting point. Some people need alot more help than others and as far as calling them 'bluffers', that is just one thing you will never know. I think this site is fantastic, and even better for the NEWLY trained. We are here to help each other afterall.

I cant believe i am the only person who has disagreed. Im disappointed.

sorry i was writing my 10 page reply when some of you replied to this also. Im glad some of you are sticking up for newbs.

xx

Innocent until proven Guilty!!

Anyone ever heard of that???

Yes in the ideal world it would be great if new members of the site filled out their profiles, but we all know some won't. Not always for suspect reasons.

As regards having to post copies of your certificates.......well that is just taking things too far IMHO!!!
Are we trying to turn this site into some sort of Police State :lol:

I will continue to answer when I can, in my usual way, and hopefully not be too cynical after reading this thread :rolleyes:

I could potentially be putting the cat amongst the pigeons here (so to speak) But I have to say - im going to stick up for those people who ask novice questions. You and i were once in their position, and if there is anything they need to know to help them move forward in their career then im glad to. Quite obviously, i cant imagine anyone joining this forum without some form of genuine interest in nails and beauty. So in my opinion, thats a starting point. Some people need alot more help than others and as far as calling them 'bluffers', that is just one thing you will never know. I think this site is fantastic, and even better for the NEWLY trained. We are here to help each other afterall.

sorry i was writing my 10 page reply when some of you replied to this also. Im glad some of you are sticking up for newbs.

xx
Glad I caught your last post...was going to say...a few of us disagreed with the initial tone of this thread....myself, Gillian W, Judy Teen I mean 1999 :lol: and a few others....that said, I feel it is a good sign that this thread has stayed constructive , and hopefully we have all learnedsomething from it.
A: Fill out your Profile ...and keep it updated
B: Innocent until proven guilty!!!!!

Hi everyone, I've got a query about Newbie Geeks. On my profile page under my name is say's Newbie Geek, and I was wondering where you can change it or does it change by its self?? I'm certainly not new to nails and was wondering if this is related to experience and is something I can edit, or is it more related to how much time and posts etc you contribute to Salon Geek????? If it's changable can someone let me know how to do it.. Thanks

newbie geek to grand geek!! everyone is just as welcome as each othe and everyone on this forum has the right to ask whatever they like!!

I think it just updates its self once you have reached a certain amount of post. Unsure though!

xx

Its a hard one this but surely most newbies find this site as they are looking for training into nails ect, so most are wanting to learn, I think if someone ask questions about say rio nails then that surely sends a message to all that they are not proper techs and should just be told to do a course.
I lurked for a while before I joined as I didn't feel like I knew enough to join but I am so glad I decided to join as every time I come on here I am more and more inspired to do better and want to get better and better I have my training plans laid out because of the advice and help from this site and hopefully when I have done this with the two top company's that are highly regarded on here, then I may feel more of a Nail Professional and feel I can then give good advice to newbies and feel more that I have achieved something. :)

Quite obviously, i cant imagine anyone joining this forum without some form of genuine interest in nails and beauty. So in my opinion, thats a starting point. Some people need alot more help than others and as far as calling them 'bluffers', that is just one thing you will never know. I think this site is fantastic, and even better for the NEWLY trained. We are here to help each other afterall.

Please don't feel like that... this thread isn't aimed at you or members like you. This thread is aimed at people who are posing at being a newbie (when they've no intention of training) and not putting their heart and soul into their future.

It isn't possible to make it a permanent fixture on the site by making it compulsory to give certificates etc, the moderators are voluntary and I wouldn't want to put a price on the amount of man hours needed to ensure that every member was certified and following it all up.

Let's hope that we can all 'see' when a member is fibbing and trying to be someone who they clearly aren't, ie, a professional on a salon professional forum (incl those learning/training), yep, it's there in full colour at the top left of every one of your screens.......
Salon Professional's Community :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back