one swipe french polish or several strokes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonjovirock4eva

Reaction score
hi all ive been trying to master the dreaded french polish all day today and have searched and searched everywhere for tutorials but they seem quite conflicting.
what is the correct way to apply the white tip polish? side to side in one sweep OR several strokes downward? (if this makes sense) i would love to know how others do theirs???? at the min im trying both (and have just ordered some nailfresh lol)

I do several strokes down the tips of the nail and yes nailfresh is brill while you are perfecting this.

I used to do storkes down, but now I go across I think it's slightly easier and does'nt make such a mess, I always go around the smile line with a cotton wool bud stick that has been dipped in nail varnish remover to neaten up. hth xx

I do : Using Creative Polishes

White tip -

sweep left to right on all fingers (using Bisou De Lulu) or cream puff)
then right to left sweep on all fingers
tidy up smile line with nailfresh
apply base coat - sticky by creative
then two coats of either super shiney
or two coats negligee followed by coat of speedy

thank you all for your tips x ive been at it all day and have just given up for the night think im gonna be dreaming of white polish!!!!!

There is no right way, it's whatever works for you. Try them all ..... until you find a method that gives you the best result.

It still stumps me that whenever you see polish intructions (particularly for natural nails) the first step after prep is "base coat", but many throw this rule out the door when it comes to doing a French.

hi all ive been trying to master the dreaded french polish all day today and have searched and searched everywhere for tutorials but they seem quite conflicting.
what is the correct way to apply the white tip polish? side to side in one sweep OR several strokes downward? (if this makes sense) i would love to know how others do theirs???? at the min im trying both (and have just ordered some nailfresh lol)

The tutorials are not conflicting. They just highlight different methods.

I alter my method according to or depending on the length of free edge I am painting too.

AND I always use a base coat.

The tutorials are not conflicting. They just highlight different methods.

I alter my method according to or depending on the length of free edge I am painting too.

AND I always use a base coat.
If you are using a base coat can you still swipe with nailfresh should you need to ?:confused:

I apply my base coat after I have done the white tip, and tidied up the smile line. Dont know if this is right or wrong, any pointers geeks?

If you are using a base coat can you still swipe with nailfresh should you need to ?:confused:

Yes. If you do this quickly with a pointed brush there is no problem.

I apply my base coat after I have done the white tip, and tidied up the smile line. Dont know if this is right or wrong, any pointers geeks?

A base coat is for the BASE. Therefore is should go on before the white and the white goes on even more smoothly when you use it.

Thank you, I have been a bit confused by this:confused:

A base coat is for the BASE. Therefore is should go on before the white and the white goes on even more smoothly when you use it.

Thank you Geeg.

Sometimes I find french polish highlights ridges in the nails so I mainly put the white on first and touch it up, put a coat of ridge out over that, a coat of negligee and then a coat of super shiney. I know you should use a base coat but I find this gives a really flawless finish and only lasts a couple of days less than my normal proedure of stickey, 2x polish and shiney. hth X

I do base coat, pink, white - one sweep straight across, pink (if required), top coat, rapid dry drops - done. French polish is somthing I've been lucky to be able to naturally do since I was about 12 :green:

Ami

my nail fresh came this afternoon ive just done 2 amazing sets of french polishes using the swipe method im so proud this stuff is fantastic!!!

i use doting tool to paint white polish or gel on to the free edge, pull down and cap under the nail a little (makes it to last longer with polish) and then i tidy up with a good acrylic brush, sweep the line to make it crisp. then base coat, 2 coats pink and the top coat.

give it a go, i got a lot of my girls to switch to this method. Clients will come back to you guaranteed.

hope this helps

I have tried the nail fresh method but cant seem to grasp it so always sweep across in one go, do you have to use nail fresh straight after one nail or can you do all whites then tidy with nail fresh?:)

I have tried the nail fresh method but cant seem to grasp it so always sweep across in one go, do you have to use nail fresh straight after one nail or can you do all whites then tidy with nail fresh?:)

If I need to use nailfresh I would use it straight after I have painted each nail. I have found it easier that way rather than waiting until they are all done.

thanks Theresa, i found that it didnt clean up very well, but its maybe because i have done all whites then gone back to tidy and they have dried a bit. I will try doing each one individualy.

Latest posts

Back