Poppy by Vanish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanish

Reaction score
here my fist tutorial... hope you'll enjoy it because I really wanted to do it nice and comprehencive.
To build a Poppy you will need:
Red acrylic powder
Black acrylic powder
Black acrylic paint
Sculpting brush
Detail brush
Acetone
Monomer (acrylic liquid)
b8f429c0de2f.jpg

Handy tip1: Acrylic paint in tubes from an art shop does the same job as paint from a dedicated nail accessory shop, this will be much cheaper
Handy tip2: If sculpting on gel, ensure you first remove the sticky layer and remove shine from the surface of the nail with buffing block otherwise the acrylic will slip and slide on the shiny surface.
Step 1: Decide where the flower will sit on the nail, and then draw wavy lines with black acrylic paint, using the detail brush, from the imaginary centre of the flower
318acf0001f1.jpg

Step 2: Add a couple of drops of acetone into the monomer. Acetone increases the pliability of acrylic, which will help to make the details of the petal design more crisp.
Step 3: Sit a little red powder on the tip of the sculpting brush, and then dip it gently into the black powder giving you a tiny black tip in the centre of the red. Roughly 95% of the mix should be red with, literally, a dot of black on top.
Step 4: Don’t deliver the powder mix downwards onto the nail. You need to hold the brush at a steep angle so the tiny black tip rests near the centre of the chosen area for the flower, with the red lying above and to the side of it.

3e74ca20efc5.jpg

Step 5: Using the tip of the sculpting brush, gently drag the bristles through the red paint away from the centre of the flower. You are trying to create the shape of a tear. As the red moves outwards, the centre will begin to blacken as the red powder is pulled.
Step 6: When the tear shape is formed, wait a few seconds until the acrylic loses its shine, then dip the brush back into the liquid flattening the bristles on edge of liquid pot. Use the sharp edge to "cut" the petal design into the solidifying acrylic. Good results come from using a see-saw motion on the design – starting at the centre use the tip of bristles sharp edge down in a gentle cutting motion. You can separate the acrylic bid giving a live petal effect
69c24ce4dac5.jpg

Step 7: Repeat steps 3 to 7 for each petal. Five petals will give a nice design.

0b69fac216b8.jpg

1719e8d757ea.jpg
8f0c450b1a2f.jpg

Step 8: You will now have five petals with a red main body and black internal edges. Now we need to build the centre design. We will repeat step 3 here (after forming the bristles back into a point) but, when it comes to delivering it into the centre of the poppy, the black acrylic needs to be underneath the red and not to the side as in step 4.
7372aef5db67.jpg

Step 9: Touch the red and black acrylic mix into the empty centre of the poppy then wait for the shine to leave the acrylic. Touch the bristle tip back into the centre of the fresh "blob" and without the bristles leaving the nail, rotate your wrist so the brush travels 360-degrees (a bit like drawing a circle on a school pencil and compass).
76bf124d75d5.jpg

Step 10: Now, repeat steps 8 and 9 using an even smaller mix of red and black acrylic, placing it in the flat centre of the design you have just created.

9ca14bd5ac37.jpg
1d4d0c58eda9.jpg

Step 11: You now have five petals and two inner designs. Your poppy is almost complete. All that remains now is to add some fine detail to the design using your black acrylic paint (not powder). Add tiny specks of the paint to the petals and the centre design. Your poppy is now complete.

32c5bea43736.jpg

Well done that looks really easy to follow, thanks hun :hug:

really clearly illustrated,
fab poppy, are you going to do all the flowers ?
thg:)

are you going to do all the flowers ?
I'm planning to do it:)It's just so interesting.

wow thanks for this fantastic job can you do some more please!!:lol:

Thats really beautiful, thanks hun:hug:

That is soooo beautiful and artistic.....I think you would ned to be a good artist/drawer to do such gorgeous work?....I am neither!! :cry:....I wish I could produce something so stunning.....well done :)

That looks gorgeous, and easy to follow! I'm going to have a go myself will prob. tunr out nothing like yours!!:)

That looks amazing, fab work x

stunning flower!!

well it's a nice one but... (you know I'm picky now!!)

your red powder seems to be based on clear, that's why it loses its "prints" when encased in clear... just add some white podwer to your mix (just a bit, it will not really ligthen your red)

then you don't have to add the acetone for this kind of design.
But you have to work your bead when it looks like satin. that's when you print with your brush.
acetone in monomere can make it yellow which isn't nice. lol.

and I think it looked better without the black dots all over lol.

but you explain everything well and I'm sure it helped ppl... these tips are just to help you improve your skills!

Hi vanish, these are beautiful, well done! :hug: had a look at your album fabulous nail art ...

Thanks for sharing. great step by step pictures, you explained it very well and it looks great.

Thank you Geeks:)
Doorie, thank you for your tips.
As we say in Russia :"one brain is good but two are even better..."
This tutorial is just an idea..if you want to add some black dots on the flower go for it ....my poppy doesn't mind:)
xxx

Stunning, can't wait to have a go.

Latest posts

Back