Professional beauty ExCel, what did you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a lovley posting and extreemly well put and just about somes it up in a nutshell :hug:

Thanks Collin! I was disappointed not to see you there and pick your brains but Lori and Zoe did you very proud x:):hug:

Thanks Collin! I was disappointed not to see you there and pick your brains but Lori and Zoe did you very proud x:):hug:

I wasnt able to come play :irked:
would have been good to see you and other peeps again :cry:

If you were there (Big nail Debate)you will remember the 'sweet' comment 'If satan made a polymer it would be MMA' :lol::lol:. Great stuff!

That's quite odd as MMA in polymer is harmless.
It's MMA in "monomer" we have to worry about.

That's quite odd as MMA in polymer is harmless.
It's MMA in "monomer" we have to worry about.

I think Sam did say monomer, didn't notice when I commented earlier, doh!

Interesting - thanks for the heads up. :)

I think if they want the show to be a success they need to do everything they can to get all the big names, most of the medium names and some of the smaller independent businesses to exhibit there.

Mat

Hi everyone,

I am writing from the PB team and would like to thank you all for your comments!!

If you attended the show this year, we thank you for coming. I just wanted to let you know that our top priority right now is collating all your feeback, comments and suggestions and listening and responding to our market. As PB is the industry's tradeshow, we need your help to develop and mould PB 2010 so that it truly represents the entire trade, and give the industry what they want and need. (At the moment I'm taking note of the main items which are venue accessibility and big name exhibitors!)

We'll be checking the site regularly and we hope you'll visit our website www.professionalbeauty.co.uk in the upcoming weeks to see what we have in store for 2010.

Please feel free to drop us a line. We'd love to hear from you.

Thank you,

The PB team :)

i was a bit dissapointed when i whent this year just because the deals were ok and sallys wasunt there and the always make the excibitions fun. it was great that it was not packed i hate it when it is packed . it was ok this year could have bin better :rolleyes:

Well I have read the entire thread here and have some comments to make.:idea:

As always it was wonderful to see and hug fellow geeks. We very much enjoyed the Minx Demo on the Sunday which was a huge success :Grope:; we also enjoyed supporting and sponsoring the Competition. We had a fun night at the Awards Evening (even though we didn't we win:cry:)... thrilled to be a finalist again though, and I personally enjoyed looking around the show which I don't often get to do.

I notice that some have said they were disappointed not to see S2/CND there. I wonder if anyone looks at the PB website beforehand to see who is exhibiting before they attend. S2 hasn't attended a trade show ever and so I was surpised to see others 'surprise' at us not being there. It is something that we have talked about again and again and again as a team... we have debated the pros/ cons again and again but we still made the decision (the right one I feel after attending the show) not to exhibit.

You are all right and as Emap/PB has said themselves... something has to change... but it is up to them, the show organisers (Emap) to create that change and create that buzz to once again excite those that aren't exhibiting to exhibit, to reignite the existing exhibitors and our industry as a whole.

Did you know that beauty exhibitions around the world CHARGE customers an entrance fee? I was actually pleased that Emap had done this because like many, I thought it would help weed out those going for the one off nail polish at £4.00 as opposed to £10... let's be honest... if members of our own industry can't be bothered to pay £20 to support their own industry show then why have a show at all? It seems that PB/Emap have now decided to change it back (probably due to the low attandance) and now made tickets FREE again. How they will police the old 'pro v gen pub' at the doors is the hard part!

I think congratulations goes out to some of those exhibitors with new beautiful stands - some looked gorgoeus!! As to customer service, even I was given a 'swept over look' by a few stand workers. No one was interested enough (apart from ID Minerals) to even offer info - a very bazaar approach to business in these challanging times.:eek::rolleyes:

I have to say that Jenni Middleton and Laura McCreddie made excellent speeches at the Beauty Awards and Marian Newman did a great job along with the Great Nail Debate Team on the Monday! Both Rachel and Sue plus their team did an incredible job of organising the competition.:hug:

Cec made some very positive comments that were invaluable but those that didn't enjoy - well, their comments and feedback are invaluable too. I am pleased that PB/Emap has visited the site and taken note of all these comments to hopefully change things for the better (although no one will ever be 100% happy).

I would like to think that we will one day exhibit at 'a' show again, but there is no way we want to do a 3 day trade show - in fact 3 days is crazy!! Two days is enough and one trade show per year would be enough too. Do you see hair shows every 3 months? No. Just one kick butt huge show Salon International in October!!!

I have always thought that 1 trade show would be enough to get everyone excited and looking forward to it. Instead there is a myriad and honestly - it is too much.

Well there you go... my feelings on the subject and I have many more but this will suffice for now! :)

Well I have read the entire thread here and have some comments to make.:idea:

As always it was wonderful to see and hug fellow geeks. We very much enjoyed the Minx Demo on the Sunday which was a huge success :Grope:; we also enjoyed supporting and sponsoring the Competition. We had a fun night at the Awards Evening (even though we didn't we win:cry:)... thrilled to be a finalist again though, and I personally enjoyed looking around the show which I don't often get to do.

I notice that some have said they were disappointed not to see S2/CND there. I wonder if anyone looks at the PB website beforehand to see who is exhibiting before they attend. S2 hasn't attended a trade show ever and so I was surpised to see others 'surprise' at us not being there. It is something that we have talked about again and again and again as a team... we have debated the pros/ cons again and again but we still made the decision (the right one I feel after attending the show) not to exhibit.

You are all right and as Emap/PB has said themselves... something has to change... but it is up to them, the show organisers (Emap) to create that change and create that buzz to once again excite those that aren't exhibiting to exhibit, to reignite the existing exhibitors and our industry as a whole.

Did you know that beauty exhibitions around the world CHARGE customers an entrance fee? I was actually pleased that Emap had done this because like many, I thought it would help weed out those going for the one off nail polish at £4.00 as opposed to £10... let's be honest... if members of our own industry can't be bothered to pay £20 to support their own industry show then why have a show at all? It seems that PB/Emap have now decided to change it back (probably due to the low attandance) and now made tickets FREE again. How they will police the old 'pro v gen pub' at the doors is the hard part!

I think congratulations goes out to some of those exhibitors with new beautiful stands - some looked gorgoeus!! As to customer service, even I was given a 'swept over look' by a few stand workers. No one was interested enough (apart from ID Minerals) to even offer info - a very bazaar approach to business in these challanging times.:eek::rolleyes:

I have to say that Jenni Middleton and Laura McCreddie made excellent speeches at the Beauty Awards and Marian Newman did a great job along with the Great Nail Debate Team on the Monday! Both Rachel and Sue plus their team did an incredible job of organising the competition.:hug:

Cec made some very positive comments that were invaluable but those that didn't enjoy - well, their comments and feedback are invaluable too. I am pleased that PB/Emap has visited the site and taken note of all these comments to hopefully change things for the better (although no one will ever be 100% happy).

I would like to think that we will one day exhibit at 'a' show again, but there is no way we want to do a 3 day trade show - in fact 3 days is crazy!! Two days is enough and one trade show per year would be enough too. Do you see hair shows every 3 months? No. Just one kick butt huge show Salon International in October!!!

I have always thought that 1 trade show would be enough to get everyone excited and looking forward to it. Instead there is a myriad and honestly - it is too much.

Well there you go... my feelings on the subject and I have many more but this will suffice for now! :)

Very well said and I agree with all the points you have made regarding trade shows.

The shows used to be such great fun, but were becoming more and more expensive with a lack of quality visitors

Years ago one of the organisers held a one day show in Wembley that was absolutely brilliant.

We too would love to be able to exhibit again one day when it can be made to be commercially reasonable to do so

Gina xx

Hi everyone, have been reading the thread with great interest.

Professional Beauty is your industry show and we want to know who was missing that you want to see at future shows?
What special offers from exhibitors would make you visit ?
Any other feedback you have that would improve your visit?

If you want to email me personally that is fine.

Looking forward to reading your comments

Professional Beauty

Manchester 11-12th October 2009 London 7-9th March 2010

Free entry for industry professionals

i certainly did not mind paying to get into the show at all......have always said that....and like samantha has said you have to pay to get into most all around the world.....so i dont get the problem with it. The only thing that i did have a problem with was the parking cost......last year i dont remember paying so much....just seemed like a rip off to me. I paid £12 for 9 hours (i got there at 8 ish but as i didnt want to get my car clamped i missed some of the award ceremony which was at 5)... i would have paid a bit more for a while longer but there was no one to be seen to get a ticket from.
However saying that from what i have heard from others i supose i was quite lucky as i got parked right by the door.....apparantly others had to get a park and ride because of the building works.
i still had a good time though.....i only wish that some of the practical workshops could have been spread over the 3 days rather than just being on the tuesday as i would like to have gone to one

Just reading your feedback on our recent show.
I thought I would just let you know that the policy was changed for this year and no children under the age of 14 were allowed admission to the show and there was not a buggy in sight.This is your industry show and after listening to your feedback last year we adopted this policy along with FREE entry to beauty professionals and reduced parking fees to ensure your experience was a good one. We are also the only beauty show in the UK that does not accept any exhibitors that are not selling into salons. No Chocolate Fondues, tarot cards, cheap jewellery or handbag companies allowed.
There were over 100 new products showcased in it's own dedicated area this year for all you beauty professionals to see and 30 New companies attended the show with new product to the market.
The show was a great success for the exhibitors and applications are coming back for next year as the show is moving back to the heart of London to Olympia.
Professional Beauty is the home of the brands and where they can be seen under one roof. CACI, Dermalogica, Guinot, Fake Bake, Sienna X, Young Nails, NSI, Palms extra, China Glaze to name but a few and we are also very proud of all you nail geeks that entered and won in the UK nail championships.This is a non profit making competition for the industry and we are very proud of its support from you guys.
The free to attend seminars are also there to give back to the industry and educate on what's new in all corners of the beauty sector.
Please do let us know if there is any other aspect of the show we can improve. Feedback gratefully recieved.

Pro Beauty

I decided not to go this year because I felt last years was such a let down in many ways which have already been mentioned in the past by loads of geeks.......a)Too many non pro stands.....b) non pro visitors with toddlers and baby prams.....c)not much of the companies and suppliers I saw previously ...... and overall the atmosphere was just lacking.

When they asked for a fee this year, I thought.... well ok, fair enough, but I want to see first what I am getting for my money? So I await to see what other peeps say.

I just don't see the point in paying to go with fuel, parking, food and drink plus what I consider a pretty steep entry fee for nothing. I can catalogue shop for that in the comfort of my home plus have change left over for something which I expect to be top notch and professional. Some peeps have to pay for accommodation as well.

Perhaps I am expecting too much. Personally I don't think so. I think the organizers charge way too much for the company stands and then want to charge us too much as well!

Got my free ticket through the post but sadly I dont think my new hip would have stood up to the test. So sorry to miss Kim and Andy as I wanna be a waxer...:lol:

Hi All, 1st visit for 3 years and I wasn't disappointed, I thought I was going to be , as I'd looked at the list of exhibitors on the PB website and noticed some of the regulars were not going to be there. I went with a lists of stands and people to see, which I accomplished and more, even got my legs waxed, thanks to Andy & Caroline on the Perron Rigot stand.

I would like to say though, I did notice more exhibitors looking down their noses at visitors, this was reminiscent of the Spa Expo in Brighton last year, and afterwards many of the them were moaning that they'd not done any business, no wonder.

Thumbs up to Professional Beauty 2010, I can't wait until 2011!

Bill

I was really disappointed :cry:
Not many of the big names there this year. It was a lot smaller and a nightmare trying to get through the packed aisles, especially with those goddam beauty trolleys!
I didn't buy half of what i wanted but that's probably cos i found a lot of the exhibitors downright rude! I was halfway through a sale on one stand and ended up just walking off.
Too many men is suits that don't know that much about the products they sell as well.
I ordered all the stuff i needed when i got home-lot less hassle.
Let's hope birmingham is much better.

Just reading your feedback on our recent show.
I thought I would just let you know that the policy was changed for this year and no children under the age of 14 were allowed admission to the show and there was not a buggy in sight.This is your industry show and after listening to your feedback last year we adopted this policy along with FREE entry to beauty professionals and reduced parking fees to ensure your experience was a good one. We are also the only beauty show in the UK that does not accept any exhibitors that are not selling into salons. No Chocolate Fondues, tarot cards, cheap jewellery or handbag companies allowed.
There were over 100 new products showcased in it's own dedicated area this year for all you beauty professionals to see and 30 New companies attended the show with new product to the market.
The show was a great success for the exhibitors and applications are coming back for next year as the show is moving back to the heart of London to Olympia.
Professional Beauty is the home of the brands and where they can be seen under one roof. CACI, Dermalogica, Guinot, Fake Bake, Sienna X, Young Nails, NSI, Palms extra, China Glaze to name but a few and we are also very proud of all you nail geeks that entered and won in the UK nail championships.This is a non profit making competition for the industry and we are very proud of its support from you guys.
The free to attend seminars are also there to give back to the industry and educate on what's new in all corners of the beauty sector.
Please do let us know if there is any other aspect of the show we can improve. Feedback gratefully recieved.

Pro Beauty

HEY PB - you are quoting someone who is talking about the show in 2009! In fact you have resurrected a whole thread from 2009 and nothing to do with the show you have just had last weekend!!! :smack::rolleyes::hug:

I mentioned on the Skin Geek thread that I thought it was very disappointing this year. A lot of the big companies were conspicuous by their absence (Mavala, OPI and lots of the Skin Care companies) but also the "markeplace" where all the interesting little stalls used to sell their lovely products were not there. I always used to buy my kits from Aromantic they were not there this year.

I can only assume Excel has become an expensive place to exhibit and I have noticed that the fair will be back at Olympia next year. I hope it reverts back to its bigger fare with lots of companies coming back to exhibit.

Really disappointing.:rolleyes:

For my part, I really enjoyed it; I was Andy Rouillard's waxing model for his morning demo, and also modelled for the pedicure competition in the afternoon.

Although, the show did seem smaller than I've remembered it in previous years; the 2005 show for example was *much* larger and I think it was spread over 3 halls - whereas this year's show was just in the one hall.

I guess maybe that's down to the recession though?

I really enjoyed it and i spent plenty, lol.

However, i went knowing that a lot of bigger companies were not going and i didn't have a list of anything i wanted to get. I was mainly buying for me, for fun but if i saw something for the salon, then yay.

Love majestic towels and got a great trolley and some personal stuff, make-up, etc. If i had gone with things in mind i probably would have been disappointed.

The HIVE stall was unreal. I didn't bother looking as it was so busy! I was chuffed to have a look at the perron rigot stall and Andy's waxing though.

Latest posts

Back