Professional beauty ExCel, what did you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went up Sunday and stayed over night. Sunday was an absolute dream and quiet but I thought Monday was awful and could not get anywhere. Looked round on Sunday to compare prices with the idea of going back to place large orders on Monday. Have to say for companies/stall holders who are trying to sell their products during a credit crunch, some of them are not helpful at all and bordering on just rude. Having done alot of trade shows myself, they should not pre judge a potential client as I have been really shocked in the past, they should be really open as you have no idea how much anyone is going to spend or who they are, and for all they now it could be anything from hundreds upwards. So if any of them bother to come on here and read threads, I would make a better effort in the future to be more polite and accommodating. I spent quite a lot as I am still setting up and was still deciding which companies to run with so my opening orders were fairly big and I got fed up with alot of their attitude and my deciding factor in the end was customer service in most cases, wrongly or rightly, because for me that has to be a big factor considering my previous experiences.

Lori's masterclass was great and hillarious, really sad I missed Kim's but I met her face to face and what really nice helpful and inspirational lady - brilliant thanks Kim. xx

I was only there on the Sunday.

I did have a few hours between the comp and results... had a look around the stands and got some lunch and then it was pretty much time for the results.

So I didn't make it to any master classes, which I am gutted about as there were quite a few that I would have like to see - and some from Monday and today. I think that having the master classes free with your ticket is a brilliant idea.

I didn't think the show was as big this year and I did miss some of the nail stands that weren't there such as Young Nails and Entity.... I love to watch and learn!

Overall I had a nice time. The buggies don't really bother me too much, there was no where near as many as last year.

I did get my foot ran over by a number of pull trollies though which started to get annoying :lol:
Saying that, I was carrying 2 large bags and although careful, I probably p'd a few people off myself :lol:

I bumped into lots of geeky friends, somehow missed others and made some new ones.... which was nice :green:

Overall a nice day

One of the comments here is about prams etc. The only way this will be avoided is having a strict 16+ policy. Also, maybe those people with prams etc who'd been to the Baby Show were also therapists who had kids and did both shows.

Mat

I believe this was the case also, as the very few babies i saw (single figures) all had pro beauty passes with company names - so i presume they had just come to both shows or had no one to babysit.

I did get my ticket posted, and had no problems getting through the doors at 10am - no queue if you already had a ticket.

I think the park and ride was mainly due to the building work, as last year we parked really close to the entrance and it cost £12. I noticed they were building on where we parked last year.

I didnt manage to get to all the masterclasses - the Minx one was packed! - so i am hoping i can view them online later.

Last edited:
Unfortunaltey PB's promotional materials stated that there was such a policy.:irked: Typical eh? Although I have to say that I found being bashed in the ankles by trolley bags far more annoying than the 2 buggies I saw!

Yer me too:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i only went on sunday, and have to say i thoroughly enjoyed it. There was space to wander around, you could see any demos without having to peer over 15 shoulders, and i got to meet some great people - kim, andy, ruth fordham, sam biddle, to name but a few - which was a first for me at any show! (Usually coz i'm too grumpy at the crowds probably!)

Have to agree that a couple of exhibitors seem did rather rude - one nail company (i won't mention who) seemed positively miffed when i asked about their new colour gel and how it compares to my current system. I did ask for further info from them, but it has slightly put me off any further dealings even tho i do want to investigate their produce.

Overall I thought it was good, and even liked the fact that it was smaller.

Have to say for companies/stall holders who are trying to sell their products during a credit crunch, some of them are not helpful at all and bordering on just rude.
I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought a lot of the stall holders were down right rude! I found a couple of the big name nail companies the worst. I was going to open an account with one but after being shouted at across the stand for opening a bottle to have a look at the brush and having it grabbed off me :eek: I decided I didn't want to support them. I wasn't wearing my uiniform so not sure if that makes a difference but I found at a lot of stalls the staff were leaning up against their tills eating and basically not giving a monkeys whether you were there or not. Considering they are probably all struggling not to mention those on commission you'd think they'd make an effort. Are we allowed to name and shame on here?

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought a lot of the stall holders were down right rude! I found a couple of the big name nail companies the worst. I was going to open an account with one but after being shouted at across the stand for opening a bottle to have a look at the brush and having it grabbed off me :eek: I decided I didn't want to support them. I wasn't wearing my uiniform so not sure if that makes a difference but I found at a lot of stalls the staff were leaning up against their tills eating and basically not giving a monkeys whether you were there or not. Considering they are probably all struggling not to mention those on commission you'd think they'd make an effort. Are we allowed to name and shame on here?

Do you know I'm glad this has been mentioned because I thought it was only me who had come up against a rude and unhelpful company. For me it was a well known and well supported skin care brand and I was frankly shocked. I'm in two minds whether to email them and let them know what happened and how unhappy I am with them or whether to just let it go. One things for sure, they won't be getting any more of my money!:mad:

I have just came in the door, but thought I have to tell you
about the WORKSHOPS today. I went for the workshop with Kirsty, Gemma and Denise Wright, the competition-workshop. It was VERY helpful and very nice to talk, try, get help etc... We looked at my score-sheets and I got lots of new ideas. I also went to a workshop with Antony. He showed me how to avoid some things I am struggling with and he showed me the gel etc... etc.. A FANTASTIC idea I hope they can build on next year. I wished all the companies could be invited to have workshops ALL day so that we could pop in, have a chat, sit and play and get some help. An opportunity for the companies to show the products and an opportunity for us to try. I am sure lots of techs would have liked that.

Have to go to bed.

Cec.

Hi. I went down on Monday as I couldn't make Sunday. For me the best demos for nails appeared to be Sunday and as the Gel I had gone to see launched had been withdrawn at the last minute it was a HUGE disappointment overall. The train costs to London from where I live are huge and sadly the Sunday train service doesn't get to London until lunchtime, which makes the day at the show quite short. For me it would be good if the Minx demos etc were available on Monday too.
Overall it didn't seem much different to other years - lots of students blocking the aisles and I did see a couple of buggys!!

I was also VERY ANNOYED that I paid for my ticket then received a free one days before the show.

I went to PB on Monday. I go every year many because of the atmosphere at shows, you know being with people in the same profession. I also live in London so its easy to get to.

This year I think they achieved the overcrowding problem but don't know if its due to charging for the event or the recession :rolleyes:. My reasons for going this year were for the Big Nail Debate and I'm looking into training to do eyelashe extensions.

I agree there weren't as many nail-related companies at the show. There were rude stall holders about too :irked: i encountered them.

In comparison to other years, in my opinion, the masterclasses and the Big Nail debate are worth going for. The line up was fab, Denise Wright was brilliant (normally just read her article in Scratch).

If you were there (Big nail Debate)you will remember the 'sweet' comment 'If satan made a polymer it would be MMA' :lol::lol:. Great stuff!

In comparison to other years, in my opinion, the masterclasses and the Big Nail debate are worth going for. The line up was fab, Denise Wright was brilliant (normally just read her article in Scratch).

If you were there (Big nail Debate)you will remember the 'sweet' comment 'If satan made a polymer it would be MMA' :lol::lol:. Great stuff!

Thanks for th positive comments on the masterclasses.

The Big Nail Debate was a new venture and hopefully those that attended enjoyed it.

And yes GMG's satan comment was probably the best soundbite from it, it was brilliant

Last edited:
it was great to put some faces to names for me....

I think the goalposts moved a bit too often though. I would have been annoyed if I had a) paid to get in, or b) been an exhibitor.

The overcrowding issue I am not sure about - it reminds me of a quote from "Spinal Tap" - in fact I could not get the quote out of my head -

"So this year I notice that the band is playing much smaller arenas than the last tour, does this mean that the band's appeal is waning?"

"No, no, not at all.....it just means that their appeal is becoming more selective" :eek:

Unfortunately I had to miss the show as my daughter is ill, yerribly chesty cough

Its a such as a shame as I was so excited when my free ticket arrived in the post, I was really looking forward to going to some of the master classes

Oh well there is always next year

I have been previously and have always enjoyed the show

I'm in two minds whether to email them and let them know what happened and how unhappy I am with them or whether to just let it go. One things for sure, they won't be getting any more of my money!:mad:

I should ...how else would the principles of the business ever know that they have this problem...a polite and informed mail is one that any company owner would apreciate getting...posative or negative it is a means for such owners to asses their overall performance and if needs must address any shortcommings their business may have
Good luck :hug:

As a new visitor to Professional Beauty I was really looking forward to going. I bought far too many goodies:)

It has been mentioned on this thread about the rude attitude of some of the people on the stands and I have to agree. My overwhelming impression of the day was how very unprofessional some of the exhibitors were! Eating crisps, ricecakes ,dropping bits everywhere whilst demonstrating nails, talking over people (potential customers), shouting, couldnt be bothered to give demonstrations and speaking in a very condescending tones.

Customer care is extremely important and it was lovely to deal with the companies who got it just right.

I went to the show yesterday. I found the Masterclasses good - I enjoyed Daniel Sandler's make up demo.

There were lots of really rude suppliers there - I was really shocked! I wanted to purchase a new wax pot from one supplier. As I was asking questions, the woman sat on the till scoffing crisps! she then turned her back on me whilst I was mid sentence to speak to a colleague! needless to say I walked away and bought my new wax pot elsewhere!

I spoke to a few suppliers and got the impression they were really disgruntled because it was so quiet and they hadn't covered their costs - No excuse for rudeness though!

I won't be going next year. Rudeness aside, I just didn't think there were as many quality suppliers as previous years.

I should ...how else would the principles of the business ever know that they have this problem...a polite and informed mail is one that any company owner would apreciate getting...posative or negative it is a means for such owners to asses their overall performance and if needs must address any shortcommings their business may have
Good luck :hug:

Thanks for that Collin. I think I will.

I really hope that some of these suppliers are on here and reading what everyone is saying about their lack of customer service and do something about it. As we all know, in this climate customer care and client retention is everything!!

Thanks for that Collin. I think I will.

I really hope that some of these suppliers are on here and reading what everyone is saying about their lack of customer service and do something about it. As we all know, in this climate customer care and client retention is everything!!

I definatley think you should...constructive critisim is something that we would all benift from..if put in the right way the supplier can only derive a posative benifit in the long tern :hug:

I was at the show on Monday and enjoyed watching and listening to Lori Nestori - excellent! I also enjoyed the Great Nail Debate and could have watched Andy and Kimmi show off their skills all day (the highlight for me!). The competitions were well organised and Rachel and Sue obviously put in a lot of hard work -well done! Congratulations too to all those who brought home some crystal!

I picked up a few items to purchase only to put them back. Why would I bother lugging them about the show when there were no big offers and I could order online at the same price. There was a reasonable crowd in the morning but come the afternoon, the exhibitors were bored stiff - almost as bored as me! I don't mind college students attending the shows at all. Afterall, they are the future of the industry and I think it is necessary for them to be inspired. However, I did get rather peeved when I saw school children with their school uniforms on!:eek:

I think the biggest letdown of the show is the ticket fiasco. There needs to be consistency in pricing if it has to be successful. Most professionals would not mind paying a fee if the show itself merited. The cost for the exhibitors is obviously too much to get all major companies to attend and give the offers which so many of us look for.

If it was my first show, I don't think it would persuade me to go to too much trouble to attend future events.

It was fab meeting up with so many Icons and geeky friends - that always makes it worthwhile.:):hug:

I was at the show on Monday and enjoyed watching and listening to Lori Nestori - excellent! I also enjoyed the Great Nail Debate and could have watched Andy and Kimmi show off their skills all day (the highlight for me!). The competitions were well organised and Rachel and Sue obviously put in a lot of hard work -well done! Congratulations too to all those who brought home some crystal!

I picked up a few items to purchase only to put them back. Why would I bother lugging them about the show when there were no big offers and I could order online at the same price. There was a reasonable crowd in the morning but come the afternoon, the exhibitors were bored stiff - almost as bored as me! I don't mind college students attending the shows at all. Afterall, they are the future of the industry and I think it is necessary for them to be inspired. However, I did get rather peeved when I saw school children with their school uniforms on!:eek:

I think the biggest letdown of the show is the ticket fiasco. There needs to be consistency in pricing if it has to be successful. Most professionals would not mind paying a fee if the show itself merited. The cost for the exhibitors is obviously too much to get all major companies to attend and give the offers which so many of us look for.

If it was my first show, I don't think it would persuade me to go to too much trouble to attend future events.

It was fab meeting up with so many Icons and geeky friends - that always makes it worthwhile.:):hug:

What a lovley posting and extreemly well put and just about somes it up in a nutshell :hug:

Latest posts

Back