Smoking in banned areas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoking ban in public places - good or bad??

• Bring it on - it can't happen soon enough

Votes: 101 61.6%
  • Nope don't want it, I will not be responsible for my actions if I can,t have a ciggie fix

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Doesn't bother me either way

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Should leave it as it is with designated smoking places

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Other - please state why

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
I sooo wanted to stay on the fence with this but my feelings are these (I am a smoker).

IMO

More people will give up because of the lack of freedom to do what they want. If more people give up income tax will rise for everyone including the non smokers, so it does affect them too in a negative way. I want to give up now, I dont know where I can smoke so only smoke at home now, I dont take them with me when i'm out just in case i smoke in the wrong place, I now only buy 10 at a time, as does hubby so we are now saving alot of money a month, if only a few hundred do the same then i predict heavy income tax rises soon.

Pubs and club will probably suffer, I know I am less inclined to go out now (not that i go out much anyway). The streets outside nightclubs will probably be full of people smoking. I used to live opposite a pub that had a late license, they had a disco/kareoke everyweek and it was noisy, now it will be even noiser with all the smokers congregating outside. Thank god I dont live there anymore but I feel for the people that do live there now.

Hopefully the government has already thought about where the additional income is going to come from and that it doesnt hit the pockets of the tax payers but in all honestly I think it will.

What I really detest is people that tut at you when you are outside having a ciggie!!!!! Where else do they want you to go? :eek:

They want you to just quit smoking at all, anywhere,to improve their health and comfort level!!Who cares if we are uncomfortable with irritability and withdrawl from the chemicals the tobacco company has added to our cigarettes to further addict us.This debate will go on forever as their are always the super squeaky clean do gooders trying to tell us how to live our lives and if we won't comply voluntarily? They will just push until they get a law passed to make sure we are doing what they think is right! Next thing ya know,it will be said that we are OUTSIDE polluting their air. :lol:
I am with you about the outside smoking,I dont particularly like people looking at me like a circus freak when I am OUTSIDE (where they drove us) enjoying a smoke break.
Each to their own,but I am afraid everyone that smokes will just have to accept that the non smokers have won!!! Now hopefully they will find something else to pick at like the cars and factories that are polluting their breathing space.:smack:

i was out in putney last novemeber, and was the only smoker in the group i was with , and the pub was non smoking anyhow.
so i had to go outside on my lonesome for a ciggie and had a right laugh with the rest of the social outcasts outside...pmsl the funny thing was when i went back in the pub sometime later....the smokers who i was chatting to outside ....looked around for me and and the other smokers, everytime they went out for a fag so we could join them...had a hoot people watching and doing the old....sparking up another straight away..so we didnt have to go back in...:lol::lol:

i'm an exsmoker and work in a pub/restaurant every day. i must say i do feel sorry for the smokers being told what they can and can't do it is a shame.
i think they should have banned it from pub's which serve food and have children in them but not from the local pub.

i must say i'm two days into working in a smoke free place and all i can say is it stinks we have been spending all day trying to get rid of the stale smell and it just isn't budging. i am glad that i can come home and i don't stink like an astray and i don't have to wash my hair everyday now!.the one thing that i noticed so much after i quit was how bad the smell can be and working in it 4 hrs a day i smelt like i smoked 200+a day.

by the way, did anyone watch the program on ch4 about the love of smoking and how it has gone down over the decades it was on Sunday night?

I'm not a massive smoker, usually 1-2 in the garden before bed - But I have smoked for years and years and I enjoy it. I gave up for both of my pregnancies and have never smoked around my children or anyone elses.
I have never smoked in restraunts etc smoking section or not - everyone has the right to eat in a smoke free environment.

I am vexed about this ban.

Before having kids I was a clubber through and through - still am, but I can only afford it once or twice a year now (so I dance in the kitchen instead!!)

I resent the fact that when I next get to go out clubbing with my mates (non smokers) I will have to stand outside on my own in the dark to have a smoke......... Probably getting touched up by some bloke whos pissed out of his face. MMmm that'll be nice - can't wait!! I'm sure I will be very safe!

I don't like smokey environments - but I really hate having to spend my night out surrounded by people who are falling over on the dance floor, causing fights, invading your space........ The unwritten rule - If you're drunk, you can touch up anyone you fancy, say what you like and if they don't like it then they obviously have a problem!!

No Smoking Britain - but feel free to get drunk 24-7!! Mmm that's healthy!! A great way to discourage alcoholism - a massive killer and family wrecker........ bring on the booze!

Now smokers can't adopt children under 5 - even if they only smoke outside!...... This place is a ****ing joke!! I have mates (a police woman married to a paramedic - perfect adoptive parent material) They get pissed every night, they have two kids (2 + 5 yrs) who could scream the house down at night, but wouldn't be heard coz mummy and daddy are blotto on the sofa!!
I love my children so much. They are treated with love and respect. They are absolutely happy and secure. They are both intelligent, sociable and respectful.

But because I smoke a couple of rollies in the garden at night (when the kids are in bed!!) I wouldn't get a look in if I applied to adopt a child! My friends on the other hand would!? How does that make sence. Surly a child should be with people who are good with children?

Last Wednesday night a few of us got together at a neighbours house to have a catch up.
I had a glass of wine and 2 menthol filterd roll-ups in the garden (ahh, and relax!).
They all got drunk and lectured me about smoking 'It's not good for you, it's a killer, think about your kids................'
Two hours later I had to help one up the stairs to bed (her hubby had crashed out on the sofa) and another I helped stumble home. They all have kids that needed to go to school the next day...... I wonder what kind of mood they were greated with!?......... Good morning mummy - shhh i'v got a headache!
I swear half the mums dropping their kids to school in the mornings have hang overs (or are still pissed)!

Smokers are being treated like **** - like we are the scum of the earth.
I had to take my cousin to Milton Keynes A&E about a month ago. It was really busy and we were there from 10pm till 4.30am - in that time only him and two other patients were there for non alcohol related problems.
If we wanted to have a fag, we had to walk right away from the front of the hospital into the car park to avoid a fine!
But I had to spend 3 hours sat next to a drunk man who stank of sick and had blood dripping from his head coz he fell and bashed it on the pavement! Why should't he sit in the car park!!

Did you know that every person who dies that smokes becomes a dead smoker statistic?
You get hit by a bus and die as a result.............. You become another statistic as a smoker who has died that year.

If the ban against smokers is to be fair,the goverment should also do something about car emissions, i'd rather be in a garage with a few smokers, than in a garage with a car with the engine running.

Gelly,
WOW, Im sure you will get a VERBAL SPANKING from some folks for this post:lol:
However not from me, I am with you!! You raised another good point about being unsafe standing alone on the street corner or bar parking lot.Women are raped and taken advantage of enough as it is. Now I got something else to worry about. I don't even like going from my car to wal-mart after dark alone, as we have had women attacked, even there! Imagine what could happen with a bunch of whacked out drunks in a parking lot of a bar? That adoption thing is pretty lame also.I know women here that are strung out on drugs that the child welfare system won't take their kids from them. As long as their house is "clean and safe " when they come to check them, thats all that matters.Oh well ,if when they LEAVE she does some meth or crack and maybe inject a bit of morphine or better yet leaves them for 2 or 3 days and lets the oldest kid (9,mind you) take care of his younger brother and sister while she is off stoned somewhere, They didn't actually SEE anything wrong!!!!! Now, if we could just get her to smoke a cigarette maybe they would place the children somewhere safe????:lol:

Gelly,
WOW, Im sure you will get a VERBAL SPANKING from some folks for this post:lol:
However not from me, I am with you!! You raised another good point about being unsafe standing alone on the street corner or bar parking lot.Women are raped and taken advantage of enough as it is. Now I got something else to worry about. I don't even like going from my car to wal-mart after dark alone, as we have had women attacked, even there! Imagine what could happen with a bunch of whacked out drunks in a parking lot of a bar? That adoption thing is pretty lame also.I know women here that are strung out on drugs that the child welfare system won't take their kids from them. As long as their house is "clean and safe " when they come to check them, thats all that matters.Oh well ,if when they LEAVE she does some meth or crack and maybe inject a bit of morphine or better yet leaves them for 2 or 3 days and lets the oldest kid (9,mind you) take care of his younger brother and sister while she is off stoned somewhere, They didn't actually SEE anything wrong!!!!! Now, if we could just get her to smoke a cigarette maybe they would place the children somewhere safe????:lol:

Sad but true!
I appriciate you taking the time to read my rant btw. :hug:

Well as I'm from Scotland the ban's been in since last year, I am a smoker but am quite glad its banned in restaurants as I hate people smoking when I'm eating. Not sure about in pubs and clubs thou, my main gripe is when they dont have a sheltered area, I wear fake tan! and either I wont go out in the rain at all which annoys me coz I want a fag lol or stand outside and get all streaky as my coats in the cloak room ! plus the drink issue, if you fancy a fag and are half way thru your drink you either have to find a friend who will hold it, down the drink or leave it(what a waste!)

:) no more stinking of stale fags on clothing lovely !!! but designated areas are not a problem ,
smokers should carry on having there pleasures in fag filled areas and it is lovely having a meal and not inhaling smoke from smokers on the next table who have finished there meal and light up when you start eating yours :mad: yukkkkk !
but i have always had a thing about passive smoke ( sorry smokers i dont want to offend anyone :green:)

paula creative Land p

I went to a 21st party on sat night, inside the hall were an old couple and a table with 4 other people on it. EVERY BODY else was outside smoking.
usually at family partys the halls packed all night and everyone dancing. not 1 person danced all night and when it came to her cutting the cake someone had to go out side to tell everyone. i felt so sorry for her.
they could have had there ciggy and come back in !!!

I really do not understand why people who do not smoke care if we are provided a place to smoke. I feel most people do not understand what they are doing by allowing the goverment more and more control over what we do. Thanks for letting me have a say.:confused:

Now that people have to go outside to smoke I am often left sitting alone in pubs and clubs, non smokers seem to be the minority amongst my family and friends.

Latest posts

Back