So fed up of light pink gel polishes fading in the sun!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro-Beauty

Reaction score
its a lilly...go girl...you're so sweet...take action (Gelish & other brands) all fade in the sun! (sometimes within a day!!) and im sick of it, having to tell clients they cant have them in the summer is ridiclous and very unprofessional!

I know high pigmented colours become unstable in the sun and Im told I can exchange for a different colour which is pointless as the colours are fine in the winter.

anyone have any advise or know of a product to apply on top to stop it fading?

thanks sorry to moan but its so frushtrating :grr:

Pink pigment is one of the most unstable pigments so no matter what brand etc you use it won't help!

Sooo why hasn't this cause up problems before..???
I find polish was never on long enough for us to see the change! Now with our 2 weekly polishes you can really see the difference!!
What can you do?? Not a lot just advise your client to wash her nails whenever they come in contact with chemicals SPF deet etc

Buy a UV top coat!! Calgel do one called calcrystal. :)

Why is advising clients that a pale pink shade may fade in the sun both "ridiculous and unprofessional?" I don't think it is either. I think it is sensible and very professional to advise them of a characteristic that is what it is and can't be helped ... other than clients taking precautions such as drying their nails after swimming and before going in the sun (both chlorine and sun are bleaching agents and together they are doubly effective at bleaching) and then you have your solvents such as insect repellant and sun lotions that contain DEET ... Tell them to wipe off their nails immediately after application.

The EU dictates which pigments are acceptable and which ones manufacturers must use ... Nothing we can do about it other than to advise. To that end, we have made a holiday aftercare sheet that explains everything which we give all of our departing holiday clients ... Then they have no surprises that they later will complain to you about! Very sensible advice for everyone to do the same; saves allot of hassle. :D

Is there a brand which do a gel top -coat??

Is there a brand which do a gel top -coat??

What will inhibit UV light, solvents and chlorine affecting colour are the things we tell clients to do as listed above.

Brits abroad always go over board when they travel abroad .. I LIVE in Spain, fading has not been a problem amongst our clients who live here ... it only seems to be a problem to those who take no notice of advice and who stay in the sun from morning until night while away. It is mainly a matter of over exposure beyond normal levels.

I'm not aware of a gel uv topcoat but would imagine it would discolour as it absorbs uv so wudnt work...? I use the brisa gloss as top layer. Calgel advised me about the calcrystal when I mentioned about a colour gel fading.

I've just come back from 2 weeks in Egypt, I painted my fingernails with an opi pale pink that ended up nude after just a couple of days however used a pale pink Gellux on my toes which didn't change at all, will check colour when I get into work

What will inhibit UV light, solvents and chlorine affecting colour are the things we tell clients to do as listed above.

Brits abroad always go over board when they travel abroad .. I LIVE in Spain, fading has not been a problem amongst our clients who live here ... it only seems to be a problem to those who take no notice of advice and who stay in the sun from morning until night while away. It is mainly a matter of over exposure beyond normal levels.

I live in the not so sunny UK and I have problems with it fading when it's overcast with only a little sunshine and I'm not out doors for that long

I live in the not so sunny UK and I have problems with it fading when it's overcast with only a little sunshine and I'm not out doors for that long

Never have had that happen ever, and I wear the lighter pinks and live in Spain.

Geeg I love the idea of a special holiday aftercare sheet! I find clients are so excited they don't listen properly to what you're telling them. I'm going to do it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Never have had that happen ever, and I wear the lighter pinks and live in Spain.

Thats odd, I don't understand?! i use all genuine Gelish with foundation/TIO/uv led Harmony lamp, correct procedure :sad:

Thats odd, I don't understand?! i use all genuine Gelish with foundation/TIO/uv led Harmony lamp, correct procedure :sad:

It's nothing to do with the brand, application etc its just the fact that its PINK! It's the pink pigment that doesn't react well to exposure to certain chemicals etc

may try Orly sunscreen for nails... its a regular topcoat not gel :sad: but I could try this over TIO?

I was about to purchase 'your so sweet' for a client who had requested it for her wedding, in Greece. Obviously it's going to be warm and sunny and she is there for a few days before. I'm sure she will be spending a couple of days relaxing at the beach, what can I do for her to try to minimise fading? As its all pinks that are like this I'm a bit concerned for her nails now.
edit for typos

I was about to purchase 'your so sweet' for a client who had requested it for her wedding, in Greece. Obviously it's going to be warm and sunny and she is there for a few days before. I'm sure she will be spending a couple of days relaxing at the beach, what can I do for her to try to minimise fading? As its all pinks that are like this I'm a bit concerned for her nails now.
edit for typos

Things to help minimise fadeing are given in my post on page one of this thread.

It's not all the pinks that fade ... Just those that contain a certain pink pigment which is in some of the lighter shades.

Just a thought.

I find Gossip Girl doesn't fade, which is a bright pink, it might be that it doesn't contain one of the pinks that fade, so try mixing it with white to get a paler pink on a colour stick & leave it in the window to see if it does fade before trying on a client.

thanks geeg, I think a holiday aftercare leaflet is in order. I do always verbally give this advice, but something physical may also reiterate the aftercare.
it was the lighter pink that my client was after as she has pastel pink in the dress. ill try a nail pop as I have gossip girl and sheek white.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back