Sweet Squared Education - price increases

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How dare you!! This is soo offensive.....

How is this offensive?
I don't think Martin was aiming this at anyone in particular; certainly not you, and the point is valid.
It's all about priorities.
If your children are your priority at the moment then now is not the right time for you to devote to other time consuming pursuits.
I blame the journalist nitwit in the 80s who espoused the mantra "you can have it all!". Er, no you can't; you can do one thing awesomely well, a few things reasonably well, or spread yourself too thinly and nothing gets done well at all.

It is rude and offensive. He's being narrow minded that CND is the only brilliant product/training!

Just because you have higher priorities, doesn't mean you should look for another career.

I thought you got free courses at FE colleges if you were a single parent on benefits? Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Sweet squared are not the only route into a career in nails, and as a private company they can charge what they like. People have a choice as to which route to take.

There are private hairdressing courses available for 11 grand, or you can go to your local FE college for considerably less (or free depending on circumstances). Is the argument that all private companies charge nothing to educate you?

I am really failing to see what the argument here is about. If you want to pay less, or cant afford to pay Sweet Squared prices, then go to a training provider who is cheaper. Shop around, there are cheaper trainers about.

If you are determined that only CND is what you want to learn, then accept that it wont be cheap, and either save or borrow.

It is rude and offensive. He's being narrow minded that CND is the only brilliant product/training!

Just because you have higher priorities, doesn't mean you should look for another career.

That is quite amusing as anyone who has been on here any length of time will know I don't use CND, I use Jessica, and have done both normal college training and private training, including training with Jessica.

My point is that if you are going to invest in a career it costs money, and in the grand scheme of things the money being talked about here is very little and easily gained back through work once qualified.

I think it kind of makes sense; i dont go out spending money on myself, i buy clothes as and when i need them, i dont go on nights out (2 kids kind of stops that one! Lol! ) and i dont generally spend on anything unnecessary. Thats why when i want to invest in training and developing my skills i have the funds to do it. Obviously if i have an unexpected bill then i have to put that first but i sacrifice spending money on wants to be able to expand my skills. Only fair since rarely can anyone have both.
I do sympathise with those few who really are committed to wanting to do well but dont have the funds ( where circumstances really do prohibit) but its all possible with patience and sacrifices.
In the end the investment in the training will pay dividends, which im sorry to say does not come handed on silver platter with no hardwork, blood, sweat or tears.

I could have have written this myself. And I think Martin Duffy has hit the nail on the head too with his posts.

Martin is clearly successful as are many other geeks. I'm constantly surprised by people on here who don't want to take advice from successful geeks.

I agree with Lynne, Martin has not been offensive, he has stated a very valid opinion. Not aimed at anyone personally. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Last edited:
Hi guys.
I am on income support I am not ashamed to say it!! I am bringing up two kids on my own. I had to give up work a few years ago as my son became very ill and I had to care for him full time. He is through the worst now and I made a choice to give up my disability living allowance to re-train and work for my self.
(quote I also don't think a £110 class requires a loan.) Honestly you would be surprised by how little people actually live on.

I am serious about my career and passionate about nails and would love to be CND trained.

I think that if CND are committed to education they will make it accessible to the likes of me. Forget the red tape and do what's best for people in my situation.

Maybe one day I will have the chance to see what the fuss is all about.:biggrin:xxx

Compared to many, if not most brands, CND is a premium brand. Like a house on a private estate, a prestige car, designer clothes. We can't have everything we desire in life, only what is within our reach. I'm very aware I am repeating what has already been said here.

Compared to many, if not most brands, CND is a premium brand. Like a house on a private estate, a prestige car, designer clothes. We can't have everything we desire in life, only what is within our reach. I'm very aware I am repeating what has already been said here.

Indeed Zo Zo. I am very late to this but am amazed that it's even a discussion really. It's comparative, a two week holiday at butlins etc to a two week holiday in the Maldives. To a clapped out car to a new one, a small flat/house to a large one.

You have what you can afford to have.

That is quite amusing as anyone who has been on here any length of time will know I don't use CND, I use Jessica, and have done both normal college training and private training, including training with Jessica.

My point is that if you are going to invest in a career it costs money, and in the grand scheme of things the money being talked about here is very little and easily gained back through work once qualified.

Well if you'd of looked at my profile you'd of noticed I haven't been on here long. Thank you for your polite welcome!

I don't think it's the brand that makes you, it's hard work, perfecting the art and dedication.

Wow...it always amazes me that people are so quick to assume things are directed straight at them when I have not seen a signle comment on here slating anybody, just giving opinions.
I am trained in gel nails (a short 'cheap' course) aswel as Shellac. I would love to expand my training and have every intention of doing it with CND. I am going to be saving (probably for a year or so due to saving for my upcoming wedding aswel) and saving and saving until I can afford to do the complete course as I firmly believe I want the best training possible and for me that will be CND.
Just because you can't afford CND doesn't meant he training you can afford won't see you through then maybe do a conversion at a later if you want to use CND...but you don't HAVE to!
Sadly I feel that we live in a world where people expect to be handed everything, I quite understand that lots of people are supporting others which I admire greatly but I hate it that people complain about what they don't have and feel thet should be given. Just because you can't afford it should you be given a Lamborghini?...If everyone was given a Lambo they would no longer be an elite sought after car...
The price increase on CND education was needed as for the level of training it was, in my opinion, under priced. The increase will make the education more elite and consequently more desirable.
I have looked at the new pricing and the complete course works out at the same price per day as my 1 day gel course did (and I didn't get a kit with that!)....is it really such a rip off when you look at it like that? I think it is value for money and extremely good education (you only need to look at what people who have already be educated by CND say to know this.
If you want CND training...pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it...find somewhere cheaper.

Kxx

I havent had time to read all 7 pages, but I wanted to make a few points, I hope I dont repeat anything that someone else has said.

I fully understand and respect the points made about some people that are serious about their career not being in the position to pay the money up front for the new education.
However, I feel i want to point out 2 things.
1. We have seen a huge number of students flood our classes over the last 18 months which on the surface could be seen as a good thing, but, on looking deeper into the demographic of those students, a big % of them are not serious about starting businesses in a genuine way.
Im never one to be contraversial, and i never generalise, and these are my thoughts, not necessarily the thoughts of sweet squared or CND.
As a salon owner of 25 yrs, and an educator for 10, I am well versed to be well aware of the struggles of starting a business and the even more challenging prospect of keeping it running.
I was 21 when I started my business and it took me 4 interviews with my bank manager to get my £1500 loan to start my business.

2. When someone wants to embark on a new CAREER, they usually have 3 options; college; university or apprenticeship.
The 1st two options require financial input from the student and/or their families.
The option in our industry also allows for private education, which comes at a cost.
Toni and Guy are regarded as one of the most desirable places for hairdressers to learn. Their prices are among the highest.

The % of students leaving college after studying hair or beauty that stay in the industry is less than 20%:eek:
I attended college fulltime for 3 years, working 3 nights a week doing bar work to pay my way. My parents were unemployed and the only grant we received covered my travel for the hour train journey every day.
My grandparents helped me buy my kit and my parents kept me in food for free!
Today, students have the opportunity to cherry pick which parts of our industry they want to do.
While this is a good thing, it has also developed a way of "watering down" the level of professionalism among our professionals.
From my perspective, I woud rather have less students, therefore less money, but know that the students are more lkely to stay with their education through the whole journey.

I also have a passion for helping people that came from a similar background to me and I offer internships in my salon to enable students to work for us in return for their education.

As usual, i have written an essay, but i hope that people recognise its because of my passion for the new era in education.

And that is what this is, a new era for our industry as a whole.

One of the purposes of the changes to our classes is to support the students by giving them the relevant time needed to give them ALL of our knowledge and passion, AND give them a govement recognised qualificaton.
The perfect package!

Hi guys.
I am on income support I am not ashamed to say it!! I am bringing up two kids on my own. I had to give up work a few years ago as my son became very ill and I had to care for him full time. He is through the worst now and I made a choice to give up my disability living allowance to re-train and work for my self.
(quote I also don't think a £110 class requires a loan.) Honestly you would be surprised by how little people actually live on.

I am serious about my career and passionate about nails and would love to be CND trained.

I think that if CND are committed to education they will make it accessible to the likes of me. Forget the red tape and do what's best for people in my situation.

Maybe one day I will have the chance to see what the fuss is all about.:biggrin:xxx
I was also on Income Support and did a college course where we were trained in NSi, I think your comment about CND being available to everyone is possibly a bit naive, colleges can do these courses as they're funded by the government and teach 20 students at a time, this is not the standard that CND want to be a part of.

I have still been successful and from starting with NSi - also a reputable company - I have been able to work & build up to get training with CND, I only started in the business 2 years ago so no need to feel so negative towards it all - if you REALLY want to do it, you will.

Besides, you'll get your course paid for, won't you?

I would love to do this course. It sounds absolutely amazing!!!
It is out of reach for the likes of me and that is where CND sets it's self apart.

But I think that the prices are way too expensive. Yes I have government funding to do a two day Acrylic course and I am so grateful for. I will be Ezy flow trained and I am hoping and praying that my training is good. I am not asking for everything to handed to me on a plate and I am willing to put in hard work and become a success and make an example to my children. I think it is good to have a discussion about this because it only makes me more determined to make it. And why can't I talk about money and have my input? And gives CND feed back. But if this course was made more accessible to me at the beginning of my career I believe that my career in the nail industry would allot easier. If I didn't get funding the only courses that I could afford to go on would be the really cheap alternatives that I have seen which use nasty products I have been one this type off course in the past and I came across many problems . I am heading for a year's time when my little girl is in full time school to come off benefits and become fully self employed. I WILL one day be able to afford some sort of CND training.xx:biggrin:

I can see why they have increased their prices. It is like buying designer goods. You want the designer goods so you pay the extra. Sometimes though, some of the cheaper makes are just as good quality.
CND provide excellent training but let's not forget that their are other companies that provide equally good training.
Just because you are not CND trained, it does not mean that you are not a great tech which I get the feeling has been implied here.
My only gripe has been that the pedicure course has been stopped. Having only just booked last week for my sister and myself on the manicure course then I am a bit miffed but I will be phoning them up to see if I can get my money back!

Was a poor single parent, started at college worked 2 pub jobs, paid for nsi courses built up stock bit by bit over many years luckily got a break in a good salon. Have worked my backside off unfortunately at times at the cost of not being the one to put my kids in bed. Had my 4th baby 5 months ago and have been back at work for 2 months. I'm only just in the position now to be able to do cnd courses. Nobody handed me anything I did what I could with the funds I had. I think people are almost implying if you don't train with cnd you arent a serious nail tech which is wrong. Everybody would love the best of everything but it doesn't always happen. I know very few people who's first house/car have been the best but they have worked hard and got what they have through hard work. Do what you can afford make the best of what you can afford and work your up. This thread is getting silly as people are taking offence at things they shouldn't take offence at!! Xx

Was a poor single parent, started at college worked 2 pub jobs, paid for nsi courses built up stock bit by bit over many years luckily got a break in a good salon. Have worked my backside off unfortunately at times at the cost of not being the one to put my kids in bed. Had my 4th baby 5 months ago and have been back at work for 2 months. I'm only just in the position now to be able to do cnd courses. Nobody handed me anything I did what I could with the funds I had. I think people are almost implying if you don't train with cnd you arent a serious nail tech which is wrong. Everybody would love the best of everything but it doesn't always happen. I know very few people who's first house/car have been the best but they have worked hard and got what they have through hard work. Do what you can afford make the best of what you can afford and work your up. This thread is getting silly as people are taking offence at things they shouldn't take offence at!! Xx

This is not my personal opinion so if I have said anything that appears to imply it, then I apologise. I haven't read every single response on the thread but the vibe I've got is that people who can't afford CND training and products, for whatever reason, are suggesting that CND should be accessible to all. Which I don't think is ever going to happen. There are many excellent brands out there and it is not only down to money, it is down to personal choice e.g. Martin chooses Jessica, not a cheap and nasty brand, but not CND.

I don't consider myself to be a nail tech, I'm a beauty therapist. I have done a small amount of CND training, just product training for natural nail products and Shellac training (having used Shellac for the best part of 18 months without training, lol!) If I wanted to learn L&P, which I may do as I'm getting older there is an appeal to sitting down, I would have a great big task in the form of research. Might end up being CND, might not, but whatever it costs, it costs...

I think this is only a good thing anyway, it teaches you the value of your own hardwork and skill. I dont mean this in a derrogatory way, a bit like eg you start off with your initial £290 course say, you have the skill and practise. You get more clients or a job in the industry and are then able to work up to the next course with a more recognised brand and so on.

You should always cut your coat to suit your cloth - that saying has followed me throughout my life, most of the time ive not liked having to do it but hey everybody gets there eventually! More often than not its a better feeling when you do!

Jo - your hardwork will pay off hunni, just stick with it. Every step forward you take on any course is a step closer to where you want to be. Xx

I personally think you have more satisfaction and self worth if you have to work harder to achieve ambitions!

I think this thread is in danger of turning into the Monty Python 4 Yorkshiremen sketch :eek:

I have already put what I think of this move forward in CND Education in my previous posts, so won't repeat myself.

I do think that the title of this thread is quite misleading, making people think that CND/S2 have just put up their prices. Where in actual fact they have totally revamped their Education Programme which has resulted in a change in not just the costs, but the content and kits.
The fact that now you can also get an ITEC qualification as part of the Complete technician course is a great move forward too!

However we should all remember that CND training is not compulsory !! There are other excellent training providers out there, and Jo's nails, EzFlow is one of them !!

What I do think is that CND have raised the bar here, and other training providers wil be forced to do likewise, and surely that can only be a good thing. Over the years on here there have been numerous threads complaining about poor education and short courses and the lack of proper regulation in this Industry, now when education is getting a shot in the arm, (or kick up the jacksy) we still seem to be moaning :rolleyes:

I do see where Liza and Sam are coming from as many people do a 5 day Foundation then think that is their education done :rolleyes: They then either leave the Industry after a short time, or keep going, just making a living, turning out OK nails. Even though further intermediate and advanced training was available they didn't take it, now this is a way of getting a higher standard of beginner out there, more prepared and therefore better equipped to cope in the market place.

There are many routes to the goal of a profitable nail business, and we all take our own path....I have taken a few forks in the road in my time ;) and they have all added to my experience and the variety of my work.
So there is no need for people to get disheartened, or think they cannot achieve in this Industry just because one particular course is out of their price bracket.

(Apologies to anyone who did read my previous posts as I did actually end up repeating myself :o )

I think this thread is in danger of turning into the Monty Python 4 Yorkshiremen sketch :eek:

LOL, I had to google this!

Fiona - I could kiss you all over!
Thank you for googling it!
So many times I have to be forcibly removed from the laptop by my humsbums because I want to type "is your google broken?"

Fiona - I could kiss you all over!
Thank you for googling it!
So many times I have to be forcibly removed from the laptop by my humsbums because I want to type "is your google broken?"

Ha ha! Me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back