Sweet Squared Education - price increases

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so pleased that S2 are standing up for what they believe to be right (and I totally agree with their standpoint).

A professional nail technician does not happen with a few short courses with questionable trainers. A truly professional technician is so much more than that. I haven't seen their course structure yet but this thread is telling me enough.

They are supporting the intrinsic values of what a nail pro is and upping the game. Those that don't like it don't have to go along with it but those that see their profession as a genuine career and want to be the best then THIS is actually what it takes!

I was one of the early educators for CND in the UK and I know how much dedication it takes to achieve this status. I chose to be an independent but will always recognise the invaluable education and continual challenge to my skills that have allowed me to get to where I am now.

Times are tough and the nail technicians skills are continually being brought into question. If you value your career and professionalism then purely looking at the cost is wrong. The level of teaching is what matters.

I am very happy that S2 have eventually got around to embracing formal qualifications. This is one of the key aspects that will take our industry forward to a genuine professional recognition; but only of the level of education can match the expectation.

I hope there will be a way for dedicated potential technicians to spread the costs as I do know how prohibitive this can be. If you know it is right then a way can be found.

It is clear that S2 will lose a lot of people who want to train. It is also clear that the loss is that of the technician and S2 will grow to be THE educator of the best technicians in the UK.

My advice to aspiring and improving technicians is NOT to look at the total cost but break it down into what you will receive and how you can turn this into actual income.

Well done S2! It's a brave but essential step you are taking and one that can only be the right for the growing nail industry.

I love the sound of the new course structures although I can see the problem with cost and if that could be spread out then for many serious potential trainees that could be a huge help.

I've moved back to Norway now but for those of us who trained elsewhere it would be amazing if there was a course that encapsulated the conversions we have already and will take in the future with extra education to bring us up to the itec standard. (I have CND manicure and pedicure conversions and plan to do the L&P and Brisa conversions early part of next year) I'd gladly pay and in my case travel, to have an internationally recognised qualification. The cost would be recovered in time by the standing it would give me.

Totally agree Mum
As we're always told on SG about customers - "those that are concerned with price will always be concerned with price"

same for B2B!!

As I stated earlier.. if CND want to be the creme de la creme - I'm proud to be part of it...

Everyone has a choice - and regardless of personal circumstance etc... I choose CND. :biggrin:

It has made my business what it is but I completely appreciate there are other courses/providers/products...one to suit everyone!!

Well I wont be doing my L&P with CND. Im sorry but how can such a price increase be justified. I have just managed to save up the £545 now I have to save up another £400.

I will not be training with CND now. Even if it does have a kit included with it that price can not be justified and I dont believe many people who are going to be able to afford it.

Such a shame as I was so looking forward to booking in with CND but now I will be going with someone else :(

I just had a little looky at your profile and you are very young, starting a new career. Now in all seriousness, when you have trained, practiced, and become busy then fully booked, think about how much money you are going to take in a day, a week, a month, a year, and that extra £400 is going to pale into insignificance. Seriously.

I have not read the entire thread. Just been busy today and so forth. But any business needs investment to get off the ground! We cannot expect to start and grow a successful business without money and training and the right attitude. Speculate to accumulate. Yes you can get cheap training and cheap products but at the end of the day, will your work be as good, will you get good repeat business, will you make a great living? Peeps need to think about sustaining their business long term.

I love the sound of the new course structures although I can see the problem with cost and if that could be spread out then for many serious potential trainees that could be a huge help.

I've moved back to Norway now but for those of us who trained elsewhere it would be amazing if there was a course that encapsulated the conversions we have already and will take in the future with extra education to bring us up to the itec standard. (I have CND manicure and pedicure conversions and plan to do the L&P and Brisa conversions early part of next year) I'd gladly pay and in my case travel, to have an internationally recognised qualification. The cost would be recovered in time by the standing it would give me.

I agree, I've completed most of my training with CND already, but would love the option later on to be qualified up to itec standard. Not sure if it's viable, but I'm always happy to do extra courses.

I trained with CND in 2003 up to Masters and was impressed with them. Food for thought:- I seem to remember over the last 6 months for example, that there have been quite a few threads with people saying they have done college courses and were never taught to sculpt or blend tips, etc, etc. Also that they don't have the confidence to start their businesses.

Well, everyone I encountered on the different CND training courses and myself, never felt they had missed out on any part of their training and were confident to 'go forth and earn money'. So what I am saying is CND have had good training for a good time and probably because the classes are quite small, you are not overlooked, so they seem to have it right, therefore you get what you pay for IMHO xx

i picked up an education booklet for the CND courses at the manchester show today and i have been inspired. seriously considering the shellac bring it back, spa-tacular and the polished nail course with a view to moving onto master painter. i loved my initial training with CND and cant wait to get booked on some more courses.

At first, I sided with those on a low income wanting to better themselves as at one point, I was one of those people, having read the thread, I still see where they're coming from but if it's out of your reach, it's out of your reach.. simple as that!

CND are running a business too and have standards to keep up to, if this is their way of doing it, then we should all be pleased they're raising the bar to keep out the ones who aren't serious about their work - the same goes for me as a trained therapist buying products, if the prices suddenly shot up I'd have to reconsider & decide if they and my business are worth the extra pennies.. I'm pretty sure they would be!

There's many, many other companies out there - there's nothing to say that those people who are wanting to better themselves and have a career in nails can't do so without CND, I trained with NSi, if you really want something you'll find a way to make it happen.

I completely agree with the comment made about cars... I'd love to be driving an Audi Q7 but I can't afford one, that doesn't mean I can't drive or have to drive a car that breaks - it just means I stick to a lower priced working car like my Clio .. until then I can keep on dreaming :)

I haven't read the whole thread but just wanted to add that i am 100% behind S2 and am super excited about the new education programme. I think it is WELL worth the money and the people who choose to begin their journey with CND with this education programme in place...well they are stood in VERY good stead!

Well done S2! x

At first, I sided with those on a low income wanting to better themselves as at one point, I was one of those people, having read the thread, I still see where they're coming from but if it's out of your reach, it's out of your reach.. simple as that!

CND are running a business too and have standards to keep up to, if this is their way of doing it, then we should all be pleased they're raising the bar to keep out the ones who aren't serious about their work - the same goes for me as a trained therapist buying products, if the prices suddenly shot up I'd have to reconsider & decide if they and my business are worth the extra pennies.. I'm pretty sure they would be!

There's many, many other companies out there - there's nothing to say that those people who are wanting to better themselves and have a career in nails can't do so without CND, I trained with NSi, if you really want something you'll find a way to make it happen.

I completely agree with the comment made about cars... I'd love to be driving an Audi Q7 but I can't afford one, that doesn't mean I can't drive or have to drive a car that breaks - it just means I stick to a lower priced working car like my Clio .. until then I can keep on dreaming :)

Exactly. And it applies to pretty much everything in life. But may I add... (not personally to you) do it right and you are more likely to end up being able to afford a better lifestyle in the future!

I get sooo frustrated by people whining about the cost of things. The cost is the same for all of us. Where do we get the money from? Hard work and going without other things.

I get sooo frustrated by people whining about the cost of things. The cost is the same for all of us. Where do we get the money from? Hard work and going without other things.
Very true! I initially thought that Shellac was extortionate as I didn't have much money, business was okay but not great.

I used my old lamp and bought my base, top and Fedora bottles and did a couple of sets, I realised that it really wasn't living upto the standards I was told about as I was using a cheap lamp so I put aside some money each week and cut back on other things to buy the correct lamp ... then using just my one colour, I did two sets of Shellac, then bought 2 more colours - and so it went on...

Shellac has now turned my business from being okay, to not just great but fantastic - I love it and putting bits of money aside and spending money wisely, listening to what people said, has worked & paid off!

Do not be put off by prices, you will be make them back within weeks if not days!

I trained at my local college and then basically roped all my friends/family/neighbours & Jo bloggs off the street to practice on. I went on to do a few refresher and 1 2 1 courses at nsi. I don't think my nails are compromised through not training with cnd but I am looking at a conversion course as I hear so much about cnd that I basically want to see what it's all about. After speaking to an educator the cost of the kit you get is worth more than the course itself. But I also sympathise with people who can't afford the training. I was a single mum of 3 for years and couldn't have even dreamed of spending that money on a course. It's a vicious circle to be in. You want to train to better yourself but can't afford the training to get the skills to better yourself. Anyone who has ever been in that position will know the feeling and also know that extra money is generally taken up with keeping your family afloat not training as guilt wouldn't let you do that. all I can say is do a less expensive course and get your skills but when you can do a good course. It never did me any harm and I make a good living xx

I was a single mum of 3 for years and couldn't have even dreamed of spending that money on a course. It's a vicious circle to be in. You want to train to better yourself but can't afford the training to get the skills to better yourself. Anyone who has ever been in that position will know the feeling and also know that extra money is generally taken up with keeping your family afloat not training as guilt wouldn't let you do that. all I can say is do a less expensive course and get your skills but when you can do a good course. It never did me any harm and I make a good living xx
Very true, I really do sympathise, but yes, I do agree doing a less expensive course can still be beneficial and generally if the income is really low there's funded courses out there for people to do as a starting point.

I've talked extensively about money on here.

I want the very best training I can get...for the money I have. I'm a stay at home mum and have no day job. I do one or two natural nail/gel polish manicures a month at the moment and won't be doing more until my youngest child starts nursery in a year. All my earnings go on expanding my range of gel polish colours and restocking basics. I don't make any money to save. It would literally take me years and years and years to save up and so thats my plan of CND totally gone.

It's fine, instead of doing the very best training, I'll have to settle for the very best I can afford.

I'm sure the course is fabulous and worth every single penny, I don't doubt it, but alas, its now out of my league. And I do seriously object to the the person who commented that if you were "serious" you'd find the money.

I'm trying to feed my kids and clothe them etc and my husband has spent a very large amount on my training and equipment so far by working overtime for me to have the money. I simply couldn't ask him to work more overtime than he already does, we need him at home sometimes too.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, personally, but I don't criticise CND for it. They can charge whatever they want for their courses and those that can will. I'm more addressing the fact that my lack of money doesn't mean I'm any the less serious about my career.

Agreed!

Coming from someone who is looking at schools in the US right now (eek at the prices!!) Education is no different to any other service in that you will always have a low end and a high end price wise. You also have a choice.

Some educational courses cost more than others, some colleges and private schools are more expensive than others (for exactly the same gcses/degree/post grad qualification etc in most cases). Its just the way of things.

Its about choice of educational facility. You can get the qualifications you seek from other providers for a cheaper price, but if you want the high end school, it will unfortunately be a high end price. People have forged successful careers from both types of providers and all those in between.

With college courses and funding and various short courses, nail education is affordable and accessible for most people. But if you want that PARTICULAR certificate from a high end provider, it'll cost more.

In general, seeing that this is a career and in many careers you need a degree costing thousands and thousands to enter it, I think that nails and beauty is a very affordable start up business. For at least a few hundred quid and at most a few thousand, you have yourself a trade for life, within a few weeks. Thats not bad given the years involved and drop in wages if you wanted to go back and be an apprentice plummer etc.

Im also gonna be unpopular and say that I dont think it would be wise to include payment plans with the course. The hassle of taking money and holding it for people in advance and the amount of people who will probably give up and change their minds and then want that money back (I mean the admin and banking annoyances of running such a thing) would I think cause more problems than anything.

Pay as you go on the 12 day course would mean quite a lot dropping out mid education and could make the class at a loss for the company by the end.

And a payment plan after the course is complete, well unfortunately we all know, some people over stretch and some just dont pay their bills. Most businesses go bust over extending credit. Im sure no one would wish that on Sweet Squared.

Also, the conversion seems to have stayed the same price, so that is a very wide open door for people wh have trained elsewhere to start using creative (and possibly take up some one to one classes or extra training afterwards).

Personally I can't see what the fuss is about, I've paid over £800 for two to three day courses without any materials provided (albeit that they weren't nail courses). I think a lot of it is due to the fact that people get used to state funded education and don't like paying for it, a bit like healthcare. You can tell it's undervalued when between material goods and education many would rather spend on the former.

People are always bleeting on about how they can't afford courses, yet they all seem to find the money for expensive phones, televisions, clothes, nights out etc. A lot of it is a case of priorities and the need to embrace a bit of good old fashioned sacrifice and investment. Personally I feel that if someone isn't in a position to find the funds for a proper education and good quality materials then they should look at an alternative career or wait until they can.

How dare you!! This is soo offensive.....

I think it kind of makes sense; i dont go out spending money on myself, i buy clothes as and when i need them, i dont go on nights out (2 kids kind of stops that one! Lol! ) and i dont generally spend on anything unnecessary. Thats why when i want to invest in training and developing my skills i have the funds to do it. Obviously if i have an unexpected bill then i have to put that first but i sacrifice spending money on wants to be able to expand my skills. Only fair since rarely can anyone have both.
I do sympathise with those few who really are committed to wanting to do well but dont have the funds ( where circumstances really do prohibit) but its all possible with patience and sacrifices.
In the end the investment in the training will pay dividends, which im sorry to say does not come handed on silver platter with no hardwork, blood, sweat or tears.

Hi guys.
I am on income support I am not ashamed to say it!! I am bringing up two kids on my own. I had to give up work a few years ago as my son became very ill and I had to care for him full time. He is through the worst now and I made a choice to give up my disability living allowance to re-train and work for my self.
(quote I also don't think a £110 class requires a loan.) Honestly you would be surprised by how little people actually live on.

I am serious about my career and passionate about nails and would love to be CND trained.

I think that if CND are committed to education they will make it accessible to the likes of me. Forget the red tape and do what's best for people in my situation.

Maybe one day I will have the chance to see what the fuss is all about.:biggrin:xxx

By the way, im NOT one of the lucky ones who can afford to do a CND course, ive decided that im only in a position to use the product i trained in college to use. Ive only just managed to attend the shellac course after weeks of saving. I have to spend what money i have wisely. I work 40 hours a week and only just cover childcare and bills.
I do have some redundancy money left but thats really no option since my 2 kids birthdays are 22 & 25 December (yep xmas day) and as any parent knows you always want a bit of money put aside for emergencies. Im going to have to rely on doing well on the training ive already invested in to be able to restock.
On the other hand what i was saying in my earlier post is that CND is high end training that would see you a higher return. If its really what you want to train in then you will save as long as it takes, its not impossible. Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back